Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate (3029 Views)

Wike Replies Dakuku - You Are A Pathological Liar / Jimi Agbaje Should Desist From Making His Mandate An Igbo Agenda / APC Spokesman Lai Mohammed Is A Pathological Liar & Shameless - FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by LocalChamp: 3:07am On Oct 10, 2012
Achebe has pathological hatred for Yoruba, says Adebanjo .

Wednesday, 10 October 2012 00:00 By Kamal Tayo Oropo

FOR his comments on the late Premier of the Western Region , Chief Obafemi Awolowo, over his role during the 1967-70 Civil War, Prof. Chinua Achebe has drawn the ire of a leader of the pan-Yoruba socio-cultural group, Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo.

He described Achebe as someone suffering from incurable Yorubaphobia.

Achebe had, in his recent book, There was a country: A Personal History of Biafra, among other claims, said that Chief Awolowo hated the Igbo and promoted policies that were meant to exterminate the Igbo – when he served in Gen. Gowon’s government during the war.

Adebanjo, one of Awolowo’s close lieutenants told The Guardian that he and his colleagues in Afenifere were not surprised at the way Achebe tried to portray the late Awolowo.

“We know Achebe as somebody who has some hatred for Yoruba, and the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, in particular. Many of us who were around during the war are already familiar with (Achebe’s) styles and actions. He has a pathological hatred for Awolowo and the Yoruba race. He’s suffering from Yorubaphobia; and he needs help.”

Adebanjo said if indeed Awolowo, who was Federal Commissioner (Minister) of Finance during the conflict, played an ignoble role, the leader of the then Eastern Nigeria and of the secessionists, Chief Chukwuemeka Odumekwu-Ojukwu, would not have described him (Awolowo), upon his death, as the best president Nigeria never had.

“If Ojukwu had the same opinion on Awolowo like Achebe has, would he have made that remark? Ojukwu could have said good riddance to bad nothing or merely stayed away from Awolowo’s burial. He said Awolowo was the best president Nigeria never had; even after Achebe had expressed similar cynicism about 30 years ago that Awolowo did not like them, that he hated them.”

In his account of the events leading to the Civil War, Adebanjo dismissed Achebe’s accusation of Awolowo of being part of Gen. Yakubu Gowon’s cabinet that supposedly initiated genocide against the Igbo.

He said Achebe could not claim ignorance of the fact that specific recorded instances of pogrom were a consequence of the second military coup of July 1966 in which the northern soldiers and northerners committed a series of atrocities against the Igbo in the North.

Adebanjo said: “At this time, Awolowo was still in Calabar prison serving his jail term of treasonable felony. It was after his release from prison that Gen. Gowon invited him to join his cabinet as Vice Chairman of the Federal Executive Council and Minister of Finance. The war was already brewing at such time.

“At the risk of his life, and against the advice of his cabinet colleagues, Awolowo made contact with Ojukwu and met him in Enugu to dissuade him from going to war. In his one-on-one meeting with Ojukwu, Awolowo tried to persuade Ojukwu to come to a roundtable conference with the Federal Government to iron out his differences with the government. But despite the assurances Ojukwu gave to Awolowo that he had accepted to dialogue, Ojukwu reneged and a few weeks later attacked the Midwest and thus declared war against the Federal Government. Which is how the civil war became inevitable.”

Adebanjo, who explained that Afenifere as a group had not responded to the Achebe’s book because members were still studying the situation, however, did not rule out a possible meeting of members of the group to discuss the development.

Lamenting the impact on younger generations the alleged hatred “being unwittingly promoted by an elder in the mould of Achebe” could promote, Adebanjo said he was at a loss over what the author sought to achieve by “deliberate misrepresentation of events.”

“Our fear is exactly the impact of this kind of thing on younger generations. I can’t understand, particularly when the two ethnic groups have been collaborating ever since. Achebe is just a cantankerous person, who loves to be controversial and who probably does not like being an elder statesman.

“You would recall that in 1986 when Prof. Wole Soyinka was awarded Nobel prize, Achebe said he, Soyinka, stole his mandate.

“While one does not want to start going into all that now because Soyinka is still very much alive and is ever capable, but oro ni o nko mo pe mo ro wa (one thing leads to another). The truth is that Achebe has always been cynical about anything Yoruba, however remote. It’s a sickness. If not, what does he intend to achieve after over 40 years when people have moved on with their lives, mistakes had been made, people had learnt lessons and fresh alliances and collaborations are ongoing daily? Achebe must really be living in a stagnant time zone. I really don’t know what he wants.”

Adebanjo debunked the insinuations that “Awolowo wanted to rule Nigeria at all cost and that he saw the Igbo as his major obstacle and so wanted to exterminate them.”

“What manner of garbage is that? The same Awolowo offered to serve under Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe as Prime Minister and he, Awolowo, as Finance Minister. But that was turned down by Azikiwe.” He said the account was re-enforced by Sir Michael Okpara in 1977, when he said “Azikiwe would regret till his death that he did not go into that accord with Awolowo.”

Adebanjo contended that other attempts by Awolowo, looking for progressives all over the country to work with suffered varying degree of successes. “The Awolowo Achebe accused of having this animosity against his race could not be making these attempts,” he said.

“Like others before, the Achebe’s hate preaching will die off. When Awolowo was preaching federalism, he was accused of wanting to destroy the country and that he was a tribalist, but the nation later had to come to terms with that reality. Everything Awolowo advocated is what everybody eventually comes to. Look at the resource control issue we have been advocating since in the 50s”, he added.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101159:achebe-has-pathological-hatred-for-yoruba-says-adebanjo&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Chanchit: 3:29am On Oct 10, 2012
Come to think of it, did the professor carry gun durin the war...? People wei carry gun sef no disturb us like this..
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by demmy(m): 3:34am On Oct 10, 2012
He was spreading hate on Radio Biafra as a petty propagandist then as he is still doing today with his book of lies and bitterness.
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Chanchit: 4:12am On Oct 10, 2012
My own be say if he succeeds in causing another civil war, cos' some reincarnated Biafra war lords are here in NL, ready to die again. Achebe should just carry that his wheelchair from that ramshakle box he's writing this gabage called book from to come lead wetin he start.
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by UsamabinYamiri: 4:29am On Oct 10, 2012
Na wa o!
I keep hearing the phrase " best president Nigeria never had". I suppose for all the intellectual fire power that Yourobbers claim to have, they don't know when they are being mocked.
I guess Odumegwu Ojukwu was a genius after all! Indeed Awolowo, the Nazi was the best president Nigeria never had. Awon oloshi!

1 Like

Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Osiris211: 4:42am On Oct 10, 2012
The senile crippled toad looking fool called achebe murdered sleep. The retarrded snail got his brain frozen since 70's, hence the continual churning of nonsense. He didn't see anything wrong when his people went on ethnic cleansing and cheering the killing of other regional leaders. They murdered others in cold blood and gave passage to their's to ran into hiding.
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Awake9ja(m): 4:49am On Oct 10, 2012
more yorubas responding to this book without reading it yet. are this pple guilible?

is this how yorubas is?

1 Like

Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Awake9ja(m): 4:54am On Oct 10, 2012
this man even claim that afenifere will join soon.

this guys are wuuuuuuuuumeen for real.

so awolowo is equals to yoruba.

or is awo a yoruba God?

wat is the diffe betwen this folks and hausa/fulani. yorubas only can fight for tribe not religion which is tribalism.
hausa fula can fight for religion not tribe which is extremism.

both are the same to me.
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by EkoIle1: 5:08am On Oct 10, 2012

“You would recall that in 1986 when Prof. Wole Soyinka was awarded Nobel prize, Achebe said he, Soyinka, stole his mandate.

Damn. This broken down Zero nobel winning dumb axss failure of a man is psycho.

ashebe, this has nothing to do with Wole Soyinka, wole soyinka is your superior and apart from writing wonderful books, he's a playrite and many things that you hope to me but can not be because of your negativity and single biafra story. you are yet to get the nobel because your work is mediocre and tribal, it reeks sadness and negativity just like your disgruntled axss. you are a negative human being and na negativity go follow you enter grave.

lol @ . What fcukkinnnng mandate? Akpu mandate? lmao
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by okosodo: 5:16am On Oct 10, 2012
I do not see the reason why yorubas want to die in this matter. As a matter of fact i will like to read the book b4 i come to conclusion, the man never said any thing wrong from all the quotes. Awo as a matter of fact betrayed ibos by not declaring republic thereby causing no war as agreed, but instead refused and caused more deaths and problems, though i am still neutral.
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by dayokanu(m): 5:18am On Oct 10, 2012
Ashebe is the typical retardedd Igbo man
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by EkoIle1: 5:33am On Oct 10, 2012
okosodo: I do not see the reason why yorubas want to die in this matter. As a matter of fact i will like to read the book b4 i come to conclusion, the man never said any thing wrong from all the quotes. Awo as a matter of fact betrayed ibos by not declaring republic thereby causing no war as agreed, but instead refused and caused more deaths and problems, though i am still neutral.

Igbo logic. You people are comedians...
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by 4chi: 5:53am On Oct 10, 2012
The beret wearing crippled slowpoke's only claim to fame is a simple elementary prose about the primitive and disorganised existence of the Igbos before colonialism. He has absolutely no impact in either drama or poetry a far more technical and intellect demanding endeavour.this old piece of c.rap has spent his whole lifetime envying the yorubas and cursing his hopeless "chi" for the misfortune of his tribe.compared to Soyinka,Achebe is a little boy.he lacks the charisma, carriage and the intellectual depth of our own WS. The man should just kaput on time so he can be buried in one of the evil forest that litters his homestead.
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by okosodo: 6:27am On Oct 10, 2012
Eko Ile:

Igbo logic. You people are comedians...
sharrap, i am a proud and complete EDO guy, you are wasting your megabite propagating hate speech, dont know what might come out of it

1 Like

Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by bashr8: 6:35am On Oct 10, 2012
Awake9ja: [b]more yorubas responding to this book without reading it yet. [/b]are this pple guilible?

is this how yorubas is?
i tire oo
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by frankzone: 7:08am On Oct 10, 2012
Eko Ile:

Damn. This broken down Zero nobel winning dumb axss failure of a man is psycho.

ashebe, this has nothing to do with Wole Soyinka, wole soyinka is your superior and apart from writing wonderful books, he's a playrite and many things that you hope to me but can not be because of your negativity and single biafra story. you are yet to get the nobel because your work is mediocre and tribal, it reeks sadness and negativity just like your disgruntled axss. you are a negative human being and na negativity go follow you enter grave.

lol @ . What fcukkinnnng mandate? Akpu mandate? lmao

I use to think u v real human brain but now? Dnt fnk so!
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 10, 2012
As I said earlier somewhere,

The war is still on! Only this time it is an intellectual warfare.
Achebe fired just a "missile", and Nigeria is vibrating.

Emm, by the way, where is Gowon?
Why isn't he saying anything?

The Biafran Flag will fly someday to fall no more.

Nigeria is a retardation!
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by T9ksy(m): 9:38am On Oct 10, 2012
noblezone: As I said earlier somewhere,

@ bolded, the sooner, the better. we have no business being in the same country.

You all can start by leaving my region. deal?
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by T9ksy(m): 9:38am On Oct 10, 2012
noblezone: As I said earlier somewhere,

@ bolded, the sooner, the better. we have no business being in the same country.

You all can start by leaving my region. deal?
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 10, 2012
Usama binYamiri: Na wa o!
I keep hearing the phrase " best president Nigeria never had". I suppose for all the intellectual fire power that Yourobbers claim to have, they don't know when they are being mocked.
I guess Odumegwu Ojukwu was a genius after all! Indeed Awolowo, the Nazi was the best president Nigeria never had. Awon oloshi!

u re a full blown ''EWU''..........Listen to ur acclaimed hero for once, Odumegwu Ojukwu, who declared Chief Awolowo,The ''Apesin of Africa as ''the best President Nigeria never had''
Oloriburku!!!!
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Ngodigha1(m): 12:23pm On Oct 10, 2012
donroxy:

u re a full blown ''EWU''..........Listen to ur acclaimed hero for once Odumegwu Ojukwu, who declared Chief Awolowo,The ''Apesin of Africa has the ''President Nigeria never has''
Oloriburku!!!!
The son of a baboon must dance like the father baboon. Get a life Anusz lover.
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ngodigha1:
The son of a baboon must dance like the father baboon. Get a life Anusz lover.

where ever u go ''Ibon boy'' Ashebe frustrated speech follows U, Dadandidin were!!!
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Kayman4life(m): 1:10pm On Oct 10, 2012
(AWOLOWO IS THE BEST PRESIDENT NIGERIA EVER HAD)........ WHY ARE YORUBA SO COWARD NOT TO KNW WHEN SOMEONE IS PROMOTING THEM OR MOCKING THEM. Chei!!
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by truth4meal(m): 4:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
okosodo: I do not see the reason why yorubas want to die in this matter. As a matter of fact i will like to read the book b4 i come to conclusion, the man never said any thing wrong from all the quotes. Awo as a matter of fact betrayed ibos by not declaring republic thereby causing no war as agreed, but instead refused and caused more deaths and problems, though i am still neutral.
as neutral as Ashebe i guess
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by truth4meal(m): 4:07pm On Oct 10, 2012
Kayman4life: (AWOLOWO IS THE BEST PRESIDENT NIGERIA EVER HAD)........ WHY ARE YORUBA SO COWARD NOT TO KNW WHEN SOMEONE IS PROMOTING THEM OR MOCKING THEM. Chei!!
SO YOU MEAN OJUKWU WAS ACTUALLY MOCKING AWO WHEN HE SAID THAT? DID HE TELL YOU THAT BEFORE HE DIED OF AIDS?
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Kayman4life(m): 4:14pm On Oct 10, 2012
truth4meal: SO YOU MEAN OJUKWU WAS ACTUALLY MOCKING AWO WHEN HE SAID THAT? DID HE TELL YOU THAT BEFORE HE DIED OF AIDS?
Every reasonable man WILL KNW THAT ojukwu is a man THAT WILL always mock u with praises. So dnt think THAT ojukwu actually praise AWO, he said so to let him KNW in all his DIABOLICal effort to rule NIGERIA for jst a day is in vain.......
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by MAYOWAAK: 4:29pm On Oct 10, 2012
I knew Achebe as a fiction writer, not a grudge writer. He's well versed in writing fiction but I don't know why he dabble, at old age, to writing history with a grudge. If he couldn't get the Nobel Prize with his damned good fiction, I don't see how he can get it with this tribalistic history.
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by okosodo: 4:38pm On Oct 10, 2012
truth4meal: as neutral as Ashebe i guess
the money spent on school fees on you was wasted, have you read the book? After you will start joining them to castigate the namas for protesting the mohammed video whereas you are more goat like
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by truth4meal(m): 4:43pm On Oct 10, 2012
Kayman4life:
Every reasonable man WILL KNW THAT ojukwu is a man THAT WILL always mock u with praises. So dnt think THAT ojukwu actually praise AWO, he said so to let him KNW in all his DIABOLICal effort to rule NIGERIA for jst a day is in vain.......
DONT YOU ALSO THINK THE COWARD IS SCARED OF AWO AND HIS POTENT POLICIES EVEN AT DEATH - OR WHY IN YOUR OJUKWU DIDN'T THE GENERAL WRITE A SINGLE BOOK ON THE GENOCIDE HE LED...OJUKWU I KNOW IS SCARED OF SOMETHING;THE TRUTH
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Noiseless2: 4:44pm On Oct 10, 2012
If you want you-robbers aka Yoruba ngbaticos dead for their sin, all you need to do is simply speak the truth and their fat boneless head will fell off and drop.
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by truth4meal(m): 4:53pm On Oct 10, 2012
okosodo: the money spent on school fees on you was wasted, have you read the book? After you will start joining them to castigate the namas for protesting the mohammed video whereas you are more goat like
THIS WAS AN EFFORT BUT JUST LIKE YOUR PREVIOUS IMPOTENT CONTRIBUTIONS ON NL - ITS OBVIOUS YOU AMASS IGNORANCE LIKE IBORI'S LOOT. IF YOU MUST KNOW THE BOOK REVIEW IS ON THE INTERNET AND ACCESSIBLE TO ALL RIGHT-THINKING INDIVIDUAL (WHICH WAS WHY YOU MISSED OUT)- ALSO THE EXCERPT WHERE THE BERET PROF DEBASED THE GREAT AWO IS AVAILABLE ON THE NET...MY POST IS NOT ON THE BOOK BUT ON THE EXCERPT. NOW DID YOU THINK I WASTED MY SCHOOL FEES? I AM NOT LIKE YOUR LEADER THAT WENT TO OXFORD BUT LED HIS PEOPLE TO A WAR HE CAN ONLY WIN - WISHING
Re: Achebe Has Pathological Hatred For Yoruba. Said Soyinka Stole His Mandate by Ngodigha1(m): 5:06pm On Oct 10, 2012
truth4meal: THIS WAS AN EFFORT BUT JUST LIKE YOUR PREVIOUS IMPOTENT CONTRIBUTIONS ON NL - ITS OBVIOUS YOU AMASS IGNORANCE LIKE IBORI'S LOOT. IF YOU MUST KNOW THE BOOK REVIEW IS ON THE INTERNET AND ACCESSIBLE TO ALL RIGHT-THINKING INDIVIDUAL (WHICH WAS WHY YOU MISSED OUT)- ALSO THE EXCERPT WHERE THE BERET PROF DEBASED THE GREAT AWO IS AVAILABLE ON THE NET...MY POST IS NOT ON THE BOOK BUT ON THE EXCERPT. NOW DID YOU THINK I WASTED MY SCHOOL FEES? I AM NOT LIKE YOUR LEADER THAT WENT TO OXFORD BUT LED HIS PEOPLE TO A WAR HE CAN ONLY WIN - WISHING
Asz-licking monkey, what is your problem?. You should be more concerned with the poison Awo drank that killed him than wasting your useless life here on Achebe's memoir.
Do you want to try this:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Blind Ex-cbn Gov, Paul Oguma Confined To Abia Village Home / 3 Nigerians With Fake Ghanaian Passports Grabbed. / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.