Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,738 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas (7424 Views)

Acason Of NL On WINNING Team *Pre-Ordering A 2007 Toyota Camry From Fhemmmy*HERE / Save thousands Pre-ordering Your Vehicle from the USA and Germany. / **PRE-ORDERING FROM THE USA AT REAL TIME BIDDING . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by autoselect: 4:19pm On Oct 10, 2012
I believe the current car buying process can be improved on to be more transparent. I don't have all the answers here but wouldn't it be great for car buyers to have more power to choose their cars and the dealer only act as an agent to make payments to the seller and handle logistics of shipping and clearing in a very transparent manner.

The internet has made it possible for Nigerians to have access to websites where cars are advertised for sales e.g cars.com, craigslist, ebay motors and autotrader. Nigerians are savvy and can make practically make their own choice with little assistance and most will actually enjoy the research that goes into deciding which car to buy.

It appears to me that what Nigerian car buyers really need is trustworthy and reliable inland logistics in the USA to get their cars to Nigeria and reliable/efficient clearing at Nigerian ports. I know I can offer valuable service in these regard as a businessman that is resident in both the US and Nigeria and also does a lot of importation into Nigeria. I am not a car dealer but i do ship cars for personal use at times.We know logistics inside out especially between USA and Nigeria and over years have been able to negotiate unbeatable rates with our shipping partners and agents.

I think the process of ordering cars through car dealers is ready for a change that reduces cost and gives more control to the buyer. Money doesn't grow on trees why should buyers pay more than they have to especially when most car dealers cut corners to increase their profit margin.

If you have pre-ordered car from overseas before what was your biggest frustration about the experience. If you haven't, what is the biggest concern holding you back?

4 Likes

Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by tractors: 5:15pm On Oct 10, 2012
if you are looking for a company to act as an account holder or handle shipping & purchasing on your behalf check these guys out they are irish and have sent a lot of plant & jeeps to nigeria and other parts of africa .. www.gtglobalsales.com

autoselect: I believe the current car buying process can be improved on to be more transparent. I don't have all the answers here but wouldn't it be great for car buyers to have more power to choose their cars and the dealer only act as an agent to make payments to the seller and handle logistics of shipping and clearing in a very transparent manner.

The internet has made it possible for Nigerians to have access to websites where cars are advertised for sales e.g cars.com, craigslist, ebay motors and autotrader. Nigerians are savvy and can make practically make their own choice with little assistance and most will actually enjoy the research that goes into deciding which car to buy.

It appears to me that what Nigerian car buyers really need is trustworthy and reliable inland logistics in the USA to get their cars to Nigeria and reliable/efficient clearing at Nigerian ports. I know I can offer valuable service in these regard as a businessman that is resident in both the US and Nigeria and also does a lot of importation into Nigeria. I am not a car dealer but i do ship cars for personal use at times.We know logistics inside out especially between USA and Nigeria and over years have been able to negotiate unbeatable rates with our shipping partners and agents.

I think the process of ordering cars through car dealers is ready for a change that reduces cost and gives more control to the buyer. Money doesn't grow on trees why should buyers pay more than they have to especially when most car dealers cut corners to increase their profit margin.

If you have pre-ordered car from overseas before what was your biggest frustration about the experience. If you haven't, what is the biggest concern holding you back?

Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by emenim(m): 5:37pm On Oct 10, 2012
Well i have not ordered a car from overseas before, but i think the major constraint people experiences with overseas car is the import duty they pay here and the clearing charges. Though am not in a better position to advice anybody here.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by autoselect: 5:38pm On Oct 10, 2012
Packman, even though i sense a business opportunity here, i have no doubt that openness and transparency is by far better than pulling the wool over peoples eyes in business. Like Bob Marley "you can fool some people sometimes but you can't fool all the people all the time. You think car buyers don't know when they are being overcharged by car dealers? think again bros
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by a1solution: 5:39pm On Oct 10, 2012
If I pre order car abroad if the car have factory problem that means I’m in trouble that is my fear.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by ojeniyi1: 5:40pm On Oct 10, 2012
orderin car frm abroad is further made simple is it'z gonna be sent through someone that is known to you in oversee.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by autoselect: 5:56pm On Oct 10, 2012
emenim: Well i have not ordered a car from overseas before, but i think the major constraint people experiences with overseas car is the import duty they pay here and the clearing charges. Though am not in a better position to advice anybody here.

The clearing charges usually are standard for instance i recently cleared a 2000 camry and three clearing agents that i work with gave me quotes ranging from N200k to N250k. I also know that the shipping charges are set depending on whether you are shipping RORO or in container and where you are shipping from in the US. Also depends on the shipping company rates. These are costs that every shipper knows but they inflate it to maximize their profit. What if there's a company that gives you shipping quotes directly from the shipping company and handles all your logistics and only charges a fee for providing this service. i.e you get your invoices directly from the car seller, shipping company etc and you only pay a negotiated service fee to the company for handling the logistics. What if this company also gives daily updates about the status of your car shipment. Wouldn't that lower your cost and your frustration
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by laidback(m): 6:03pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ok, good idea. However I think Inspired Autos already offers something very similar? The question is what exactly are you offering? What are your terms? And like the overly used term, what is your 'unique selling point'?

1 Like

Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 10, 2012
^^^If the listed will be so practicable,i agree with you.i know prices of pre-ordering cars from USA and other countries is outrageous.OP,if you can offer to deliver a standard service,you will be patronised and make you sure you advertise on NL.competition churn oit value and reasonable services
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by autoselect: 6:09pm On Oct 10, 2012
a1solution: If I pre order car abroad if the car have factory problem that means I’m in trouble that is my fear.

Factory problem is a complex case. Usually when there is a factory problem, car manufacturer informs owners to take the affected car to the car dealership where where it is fixed free of charge. But if you are concerned about buying car that you don't know what may be wrong with it. You can order a carfax report which gives service history of the car. I think some websites now offer it for free
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by autoselect: 6:21pm On Oct 10, 2012
laidback: Ok, good idea. However I think Inspired Autos already offers something very similar? The question is what exactly are you offering? What are your terms? And like the overly used term, what is your 'unique selling point'?

It can be summed up in a single sentence "I want to crash the prices for pre-ordering car" I think the process can be made more efficient and it could also use a little more transparency especially if car buyers have full knowledge of the costs they are paying for the cars and for shipment directly from the vendors . Whats in it for me....a small service fee for managing the process as opposed to the current practice of hiking up the costs.

2 Likes

Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by autoselect: 6:31pm On Oct 10, 2012
ojeniyi.:
orderin car from abroad is further made simple is it'z gonna be sent through someone that is known to you in oversee.

When you go to cash n carry to buy electronics, is the seller known to you? Probably not but you know where their store is and you know they cannot just pack up and run away. In a similar fashion, what if you dealt with a company with an office that you can visit and discuss with professional staff members. What if the company has been in business for a while and you can do your due diligence about their reputation for honesty and service
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by Starlett: 6:43pm On Oct 10, 2012
Having successfully pre-ordered a lovely ride on Nairaland, I can look back and say that the most frustrating part was the long wait before the car sailed from the US. Lost about 4 weeks just waiting indefinitely. Yet I met someone here in the US recently that told showed me 3 SUVs in his house and told me these rides are sailing off to Naija on Sunday. My concern is, how can he be so sure of the date they'll sail off, meanwhile, the NL dealer I used from back home in Naija told me there is just no way of knowing when US customs will be thru with pre-shipment formalities.

2nd point of frustration was that as soon as I had parted with the advance paymt, the dealer was hardly picking my calls and was so nonchallant abt communication in general. when he finally delivered the car without complete papers it took another almost 3wks with plenty of pleading, cajoling and ranting before he FINALLY delivered ALL the papers to me. Wheeew!
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by azpekuliar: 6:51pm On Oct 10, 2012
^^^
bros make we know this NL dealer nah...abi na inspayad.. shocked

1 Like

Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by autoselect: 7:30pm On Oct 10, 2012
Starlett: Having successfully pre-ordered a lovely ride on Nairaland, I can look back and say that the most frustrating part was the long wait before the car sailed from the US. Lost about 4 weeks just waiting indefinitely. Yet I met someone here in the US recently that told showed me 3 SUVs in his house and told me these rides are sailing off to Naija on Sunday. My concern is, how can he be so sure of the date they'll sail off, meanwhile, the NL dealer I used from back home in Naija told me there is just no way of knowing when US customs will be thru with pre-shipment formalities.

2nd point of frustration was that as soon as I had parted with the advance paymt, the dealer was hardly picking my calls and was so nonchallant abt communication in general. when he finally delivered the car without complete papers it took another almost 3wks with plenty of pleading, cajoling and ranting before he FINALLY delivered ALL the papers to me. Wheeew!

Ships usually run on schedule if proper booking was made. However delays do happen but not very often, most times you can predict when your cargo will sail. I think you were more frustrated with the lack of communication and updates during the delays. This boils down to the professionalism of the dealer. He has obviously burned bridges with you. Not good for business
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by hallmark77: 7:44pm On Oct 10, 2012
@OP,It exist already.You can buy your car virtually from any part of the world without going through any dealer.There are some popular Japanese websites doing it big when it comes to clean second hand Japanese cars and you will be amazed the kind of offer prices you get from them.Very attractive!

1 Like

Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by InvertedHammer: 8:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
Some issues here...if your intention is to preorder a used car, you have to go there yourself to get exactly what you want. If you have to rely on someone else doing the purchase, the best you can get is "closest to desire".

You should understand the human factors are not quantifiable. You should also know these facts:
1. No used car is in a perfect condition (that's why they are used).
2. The level to which you can trust your money to a stranger depends on your risk tolerance level.
3. Pictorial display of cars may not show all the details.

Best bet: Get a visa and ticket and travel to get it yourself.

OR

Wait for some people with the resources to send cars down, inspect and then buy.

OR

Go to authorized dealers in Nigeria like Elizade, Coscharis, Toyota and buy a brand new one.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by Rooneyboy(m): 11:02pm On Oct 10, 2012
How did this thread find its way to the front page

If dis guy(auto select) spoils bizz for (inspired autos) den u no say kasala don burst be that.
Money wey dey enter seun pocketiii from ("PRIME CUSTOMER"inspired autos numerous adverts )go reduce well well be that.

Oya seun , commot this thread ENTIRELY from NL make dis guy no come spoil market for u and inspired
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by toluxa1(m): 11:48pm On Oct 10, 2012
^^ Lol.
Well, I think Inspired Autos has earned himself a decent reputation here on NL. I also believe competition is good for business. Inspired Autos is nearly beginning to run a monopoly here on NL (not exactly though) so let the competition begin.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by tyor: 1:23am On Oct 11, 2012
If u were a Nigerian,I wud have said u're DUMB

InvertedHammer: Some issues here...if your intention is to preorder a used car, you have to go there yourself to get exactly what you want. If you have to rely on someone else doing the purchase, the best you can get is "closest to desire".

You should understand the human factors are not quantifiable. You should also know these facts:
2. The level to which you can trust your money to a stranger depends on your risk tolerance level.

OR

Wait for some people with the resources to send cars down, inspect and then buy.

OR

Go to authorized dealers in Nigeria like Elizade, Coscharis, Toyota and buy a brand new one.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by gseintegrity(m): 1:26am On Oct 11, 2012
OKAY, I HAVE MY MONEY NOW AND I'M READY TO PURCHASE ANY GOOD ECONOMY CAR. BUT HOW CAN I SEND MY MONEY TO SOMEONE I'M NOT SEEING PHYSICALLY? I BOUGHT LAPTOPS ONLINE ONCE AND TILL TODAY, MY MONEY IS GONE!
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by Rooneyboy(m): 2:43am On Oct 11, 2012
toluxa1: ^^ Lol.
Well, I think Inspired Autos has earned himself a decent reputation here on NL. I also believe competition is good for business. Inspired Autos is nearly beginning to run a monopoly here on NL (not exactly though) so let the competition begin.

Yes bro, also saw it from the monopoly angle too;

*And seun as a sharp man that he truly is has decided to bring in some competition( which will ofcourse result to more adverts from different auto sellers )

If not bro I don't see why this should be on the front page.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by txswat: 4:24am On Oct 11, 2012
I always find threads that promote transparency in business interesting. I don't sell any cars on NL; pretty much all my customers have come from referrals so I don't necessarily have a dog in this race if you know what I mean. With all that being said I think there are a few issues with the format being proposed.
1. As a dealer I don't mind people doing all their research and picking out what they want and I can facilitate the entire process for a fee but be advised what you see "online" doesn't always tell the story. As a matter of fact big dealerships will sometimes list an ad just to get you to their lot only to tell you the car just sold but they have something else to offer; in most cases not as nice but more expensive.
2. Also as far as shipping is concerned sometimes there are delays with car titles either being released by the dealerships or clearing US customs for departure. I've had a car stuck at the port for almost a month before it was cleared to leave so I know it happens sometimes.
3. Another point is if you are selling clean accident free cars I'm not sure you can really "markup" the cars significantly and stay in business. The competition is too stiff besides you also have to compete with people importing "total loss", no airbag having, flood and other unsafe cars.
My best advise to people is understand that this is a business for whoever you're dealing with. Do your research on the car you want to understand its market rate and try to deal with people who you've seen evidence of their work. These will lower your exposure and keep your cost as low as possible. One last thought my fellow NLers; if it sounds too good to be true it PROBABLY IS!
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by InvertedHammer: 7:02am On Oct 11, 2012
[b]Tyor:

Take a clue from gse-integrity and txswat's input and compare it with the garbage you
wrote in reply to my post. Truth hurts. But I guess some people just want to learn
the hard way.If there is anything I hate in life, it is deceit and dishonesty.

I deliver cars to Nigeria every month. But I always tell potential buyers
the price and let them inspect the cars first(when physically in Nigeria) before further
negotiation(s) if necessary.

Anything other than that is a speculative risk. I have had my own sad stories of
many Nigeria businessmen/women promising more than they could deliver. As such, I
will not want to subject anyone to such terrible "bait and switch" experience.

If you noticed, I am new in this forum and had only advertised one car due to
the circumstances surrounding the sale. I don't intend to advertise anymore cars
here for some personal reasons.

Please read txswat post and gain some knowledge before you commit your money to
chasing the tail. I can teach you things you never know that existed about
imported cars. When a car price is too good to be true, it probably is.

And yeah! Carfax report does not necessarily tell you all there is about a car. Period.
[/b]
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by FX99: 7:13am On Oct 11, 2012
InvertedHammer: Some issues here...if your intention is to preorder a used car, you have to go there yourself to get exactly what you want. If you have to rely on someone else doing the purchase, the best you can get is "closest to desire".

OR

OR

U have said it all. For now, these r d best bets.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 11, 2012
I've pre-ordered a car from one of NL's dealer before and, I must tell you...it wasn't too pleasant.

If you're going to pre-order a car, I advice you to stick with someone that has been tested and trusted overtime, guys like inspiredautos, u could also save yourself some stress and meet with people like Egbehibor, fhemmmy and co for some nice cars you can inspect whenever you're ready
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by Ogundale(m): 8:11am On Oct 11, 2012
FX99:

U have said it all. For now, these r d best bets.
lol
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by calculusx(m): 8:18am On Oct 11, 2012
txswat: 1. As a dealer I don't mind people doing all their research and picking out what they want and I can facilitate the entire process for a fee but be advised what you see "online" doesn't always tell the story. As a matter of fact big dealerships will sometimes list an ad just to get you to their lot only to tell you the car just sold but they have something else to offer; in most cases not as nice but more expensive.
2. Also as far as shipping is concerned sometimes there are delays with car titles either being released by the dealerships or clearing US customs for departure. I've had a car stuck at the port for almost a month before it was cleared to leave so I know it happens sometimes.
3. Another point is if you are selling clean accident free cars I'm not sure you can really "markup" the cars significantly and stay in business. The competition is too stiff besides you also have to compete with people importing "total loss", no airbag having, flood and other unsafe cars.
My best advise to people is understand that this is a business for whoever you're dealing with. Do your research on the car you want to understand its market rate and try to deal with people who you've seen evidence of their work. These will lower your exposure and keep your cost as low as possible. One last thought my fellow NLers; if it sounds too good to be true it PROBABLY IS!

Well said. How many Nigerians will give out their hard earn money to a stranger sight unseen or to someone who doesn't have a foot-print or testimonies from past deals? No issue with the OP's processes of pre-ordering Cars though but How many Nigerians can afford to buy Clean Title Accident Free Cars with Value for Money without the usual saying "my neighbour or friend bought his own for #2Naira why is your own #3Naira". How many Nigerians can sleep overnight knowing they have millions of Naira across the ocean. Until the rotten tooth is pulled out, the mouth must chew with caution. Its been a while we read stories about buyers getting scammed by dealers on NL, inputs and questions from NL guests and buyers will be appreciated as their interest have to be protected.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by calculusx(m): 8:23am On Oct 11, 2012
InvertedHammer: Tyor:

Take a clue from gse-integrity and txswat's input and compare it with the garbage you
wrote in reply to my post. Truth hurts. But I guess some people just want to learn
the hard way.If there is anything I hate in life, it is deceit and dishonesty.

Please read txswat post and gain some knowledge before you commit your money to
chasing the tail. I can teach you things you never know that existed about
imported cars. When a car price is too good to be true, it probably is.

And yeah! Carfax report does not necessarily tell you all there is about a car. Period.

May GOD bless you for this post. I always advise people,if i'm buying a Car,Carfax will be the last thing i will check as people do ignore a warning that not all incident or accident are reported to Carfax. Carfax and Pictures doesn't say it all, physical inspection and test drive are very important.
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by rivieranights: 8:35am On Oct 11, 2012
I am about making a pre-order with a nairalander.seems to be trust worthy but I'm still scared with my money because many people seem trustworthy till you part with money.please,what could I ask for,for extra comfort?
Re: What Frustrates You About Pre-ordering Cars From Overseas by ajibsca: 9:18am On Oct 11, 2012
Try Calculus autos, he is the man for the job . I preordered mine through him and I've been using it for months , no hassles. Pic included

(1) (2) (Reply)

Registered Bentley Continental GT 05:4.5m. / SOLD!!!!Toyota Carina E (automatic And Neat) @ N520k / 2002 Nissan Primera(tokunbo) 4 Sale/Used 01 Altima 4 Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.