Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market (6255 Views)

NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine / Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / Scarcity Of 'Pure Water' In Ilorin Over Impending Price Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Idileke: 6:21am On Oct 12, 2012
Going by Nigeria’s enormous land resources, she should be counted as one of the very few countries of the world with potential to provide enough food for its teeming population, but consequent to the visit of natural disaster, flood, hunger seems to be the best company of an average Nigerian.
Even with the continuous importation of food, the prices of foodstuffs have been on the increase in Nigerian markets, especially yam which is believed to be the king of other farm products.

Attributing the current scarcity of the yam in Lagos market to the raging flood, Sokoto Umar, the market leader of Alaba Rago Market, Ojo Lagos, maintained that yam supply into Mile 12 Market at Kosofe Local Government had reduced in the last few weeks because of the ongoing flood disaster that has taken over their farmlands.

According to him, “before, we used to receive between 24 and 29 trailer loads of yam every week; but now, we hardly get up to five trailer loads due to the flood disaster in the country,” he said. “Many farmers complained that their farmlands have been washed away. People are looking for yam to buy and the price is not encouraging.” he said.
Painfully, Umar lamented that the flood has in a short run caused his supplier from Benue, Abuja and Kogi to quit but in other to at least have some yams to sell to buyers; he and other wholesalers had to figure out better ways just to get few tubers from the farmers based in south western Nigeria into the market.
However, Umar kindly advised other agriculturists to be vigilant and take insurance policies seriously in order to avoid total loss in the persistence of the flood or any other form of attack on their farmlands. The farmer who doubles as a trader also advised the government to assist farmers with credit facilities and distribute free yam seeds to boost food production that will better the lives of the citizens. http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/10/11/scarcity-yam-hits-lagos-market/

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 12, 2012
Na wa o! Tori don get K-leg! Me wey like yam and amala,what would be my fate now? Wahala dey o! embarassed
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Destindave(m): 8:32am On Oct 12, 2012
Scarcity of Yam,scarcity of pounded yam,oh no!
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 12, 2012
Kai,make the flooding stop na
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Booty4me: 8:40am On Oct 12, 2012
opeeee o ...ThankGod Say No Be Garri grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by miteolu(m): 8:41am On Oct 12, 2012
LET GEJ import yam then.
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by emmasege: 8:41am On Oct 12, 2012
don't let's forget the two states with the highest production of yams have been taken over by flood i.e benue and niger. it's time we started thinking on how to survive the likely food crisis that may visit our land in the next one year.
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by damzbaba: 8:43am On Oct 12, 2012
The flooding situation was always going to have adverse effects. It's a shame the state governments did not act early enough to buffer the effects. But the lands and farms were always going to suffer anyway and there's nothing anyone can do about that. I pray the floods stop and food supply across Nigeria is restored to its peak levels cheesy... Amala must not suffer!

Meanwhile what is the criteria for threads getting to the front page? :S

Would a potential scarcity of Garri have been accorded the same level of respect and importance or is there an eba vs amala rivalry among our mods that we don't know about? smiley

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Afam4eva(m): 8:43am On Oct 12, 2012
Thank God that this killer food is scarce. At least it will reduce the number of yam related deaths.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Youngzedd(m): 8:43am On Oct 12, 2012
Man shall survive.

MY GOD NEVER SLEEP
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by kayswag100(m): 8:44am On Oct 12, 2012
hmmm...
Finally! I can now LEGALLY ask whether d scarcity of yam has affected the price of garri in d market...
For: Ijebu Crew!

4 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Youngzedd(m): 8:45am On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva: Thank God that this killer food is scarce. At least it will reduce the number of deaths.

Hmm Yam killer food? :-O
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Born2beRich1(m): 8:45am On Oct 12, 2012
God help us please..from boko haram killing, to petrol scarcity to flooding disasters to food scarcity...very soon epidemic outbreak due to flooding...our hands are not clean especially our leaders
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by free2ryhme: 8:46am On Oct 12, 2012
i still have my garri sha.. nothing spoil grin grin
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Kslib(m): 8:47am On Oct 12, 2012
Na wa oh.. Well,in as much as i dont like this latest developement,it will be better for yam to be scarce than G4 ... I just pray that this flooding will not affect the availability of G4 ...
With yam scarcity,people will still survive but with G4 scarcity,only few will survive.. Even seun and the mods wey dey attack us,will not survive G4 scarcity..

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by chelseabmw(m): 8:54am On Oct 12, 2012
We have lots of yams here in Edo state....if there is scarcity of yam then let them buy yam from us
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by ektbear: 8:56am On Oct 12, 2012
kayswag100: hmmm...
Finally! I can now LEGALLY ask whether d scarcity of yam has affected the price of garri in d market...

grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Afam4eva(m): 8:56am On Oct 12, 2012
chelseabmw: We have lots of yams here in Edo state....if there is scarcity of yam then let them buy yam from us
I never knew you were also a yam seller. How do you juggle selling yams, BMW and supporting chelsea? That must really be stressful.
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 12, 2012
Kslib: Na wa oh.. Well,in as much as i dont like this latest developement,it will be better for yam to be scarce than G4 ... I just pray that this flooding will not affect the availability of G4 ...
With yam scarcity,people will still survive but with G4 scarcity,only few will survive.. Even seun and the mods wey dey attack us,will not survive G4 scarcity..
The Price of G4 has actually gone up. Go figure it. Wahala Dey ooo
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by emilyone(f): 9:08am On Oct 12, 2012
have not even tasted tasted it this year.
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 12, 2012
Switching from pounded yam to pounded garri.

4 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Myself2(m): 9:13am On Oct 12, 2012
Tamita:
The Price of G4 has actually gone up. Go figure it. Wahala Dey ooo

What is G4
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by stepo707: 9:16am On Oct 12, 2012
miteolu: LET GEJ import yam then.
wink wink
jammyng: Switching from pounded yam to pounded garri.
cheesy cheesy
free2ryhme: i still have my garri sha.. nothing spoil grin grin
grin grin
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by CLIQBOY(m): 9:17am On Oct 12, 2012
When yam..dey waste for house and village..if u need yam email me
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by CLIQBOY(m): 9:18am On Oct 12, 2012
Myself2:

What is G4
garrium
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Andrew3(m): 9:21am On Oct 12, 2012
poundo scarcity and bush meat also angry angry angry
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Clemzy16(m): 9:23am On Oct 12, 2012
Oh no! My lovely Discorea spp. The second most valuable and important food in Naija after G4. Gonna miss my boiled yam, yam porridge, fried yam, pounded yam, Yam and Beans cooked together etc..
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by kingsceemark(m): 9:24am On Oct 12, 2012
How dem want yoruba ppl 2 survive with dis? Nothing like AMARA if yam no dey. Rent increase must be sure next year.
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Bunchersstab(m): 9:24am On Oct 12, 2012
Eat indimie my dear
berem: Na wa o! Tori don get K-leg! Me wey like yam and amala,what would be my fate now? Wahala dey o! embarassed
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by achi4u(m): 9:25am On Oct 12, 2012
kayswag100: hmmm...
u no dey fear?grin
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 12, 2012
Myself2:

What is G4
u b confirm ajebo o,shey na me wey dey chop am wit kulikuliniosis go dey ask dis kain question?
Re: Scarcity Of Yam Hits Lagos Market by KINGwax(m): 9:39am On Oct 12, 2012
kingsceemark: How dem want yoruba ppl 2 survive with dis? Nothing like AMARA if yam no dey. Rent increase must be sure next year.
allow me to educated your intelligence-starved brain...yam flour is jst a variety. There is cassava flour(not cassava flakes o, cos dt is garri) and banana flour. So they will jes flip the switch

(1) (2) (Reply)

Butter, Margarine Or Mayonnaise / Who Has Seen This New Indomie Noodles (pictures) / Gross Food!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.