Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,813,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? (2466 Views)

Who Do You Think Will Win 2015 Ballon D’or Award? / This Is The Most Lethal Striker And It Is Not Messi Or Ronaldo / Maradona: Ronaldo Not Messi Should Win Ballon D'or (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by omicron(m): 3:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
It would be a crime if Cristiano Ronaldo lost out to Lionel Messi for the 2012 Ballon d'Or, his Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho said on Friday.
Mourinho hit back at remarks by Barcelona coach's Tito Vilanova last weekend that Messi, who has won the award for the past threeyears, was "the best (player) in the world by a long way".
"When someone with the same responsibility as me comes out andsays: 'Mine is the best on the planet' then I have to say: mine was not born in Madeira, he was born on Mars; he is not from planet Earth, he is the best in the universe," Mourinho told Portuguese daily A Bola in an interview.
"If Messi is the best on the planet, Ronaldo is the best in the universe. It would be a crime if Ronaldo did not win the Ballon d'Or."
Ronaldo won the award in 2008 and Mourinho said it was time to recognise him again.
"If you are going to give out the Ballon d'Or because a player is the best, give it to Cristiano or Messi. But I ask: if the two are on the same level, is it normal that one wins four and the other one? It is not."
In Sunday's 2-2 La Liga draw at the Camp Nou, Ronaldo became the first player to score in six consecutive 'Clasicos' with his ninth and 10th strikes on his 16th appearance against Barca.
Mourinho said a player needed to win big titles to deserve the Ballon d'Or.
"How can you win the Ballon d'Or without collecting titles, without winning anything important? Don't come to me telling me about the Intercontinental Cup or the Supercup, this is small stuff. Tell me about fat titles," Mourinho said.
The Portuguese coach said Ronaldo had had a tougher career than his Argentine rival.
"It is harder to be Cristiano than Messi. Messi grew up in the team where he plays, with the players with whom he plays. Not Cristiano. He was in England, then they put him here in a losing team. He had to grow over the last two years with this team which has been forming," Mourinho said.
"One (Messi) plays as a (number) 9 and roams around in those 50 square metres where the distance to goal is smaller and defence less intense."
"The other (Ronaldo) plays as a winger. How does a winger score asmany goals as a number 9? Besides, Ronaldo is a player who is not protected by anyone."
The Ballon d'Or, which merged with the World Player of the Year award in 2010, will be awarded on January 7 in Zurich.http://www.supersport.com/football/spain/news/121012/Ronaldo_deserves_award_more_than_Messi
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by omicron(m): 3:38pm On Oct 12, 2012
I hope we can all put sentiments aside and answer this question objectively. Morinho has brought up new points into this argument such as how harder it is to be Ronaldo than Messi, and the fact that CR7 plays as a winger but yet scores as much as Messi who is the Club's No 9 striker. Yet he seems to concede that Ronaldo is not on any higher level than Messi but simply deserves the award because Messi has one it 4 times, an argument i find biased. What do you say? Balon D'Or. Messi. Ronaldo. Who SHOULD WIN IT?
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by Mcleo007(m): 5:09pm On Oct 12, 2012
omicron: I hope we can all put sentiments aside and answer this question objectively. Morinho has brought up new points into this argument such as how harder it is to be Ronaldo than Messi, and the fact that CR7 plays as a winger but yet scores as much as Messi who is the Club's No 9 striker. Yet he seems to concede that Ronaldo is not on any higher level than Messi but simply deserves the award because Messi has one it 4 times, an argument i find biased. What do you say? Balon D'Or. Messi. Ronaldo. Who SHOULD WIN IT?

To your question, Messi should win it! People always forget to take into account the fact, the award is for the best player on an individual basis and has little or nothing to do with winning trophies. Madrid won the la liga with 22 team players and the coaching staff and fans. Everyone played a role in the success of the team. Hence, the argument of winning a major trophy is ridiculous enough as a reason, as to why CR7 deserves the award.
From the goalkeeper by salvaging die-end situations and points, the defenders who kept opposition attack at bay, the midfielders who control the play and the other attackers all played vital parts. So are the fans who cheered them on through the good and bad times. Thus, its not all about Ronaldo as Moanrhino and others tend to paint the picture. He's a good player but Messi is better. And Moanrihno missed one point; how can a player score as many goals and same time assist others in scoring as much as well. He does this every season and again. Its easier to be Ronaldo dn Messi. Any winger with Ronaldo's physique and sprint ability can perform on same level, but very few players of Messi's stature can play at the centre(drop deep as a quasi-midfielder, assisting the flow of play and score gallons of goals) and make the headlines consistently. And don't tell me, he's played in just one club and Ronaldo has played in 2 or more leagues. Tell me, do you think Ronaldo will be able to perform as he does when put in a team like Getafe or Espanyol? We both know the answer.

1 Like

Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by Eziachi: 10:29pm On Oct 12, 2012
omicron: I hope we can all put sentiments aside and answer this question objectively. Morinho has brought up new points into this argument such as how harder it is to be Ronaldo than Messi, and the fact that CR7 plays as a winger but yet scores as much as Messi who is the Club's No 9 striker. Yet he seems to concede that Ronaldo is not on any higher level than Messi but simply deserves the award because Messi has one it 4 times, an argument i find biased. What do you say? Balon D'Or. Messi. Ronaldo. Who SHOULD WIN IT?
Mourinho had even made it more difficult now for his sulking player to win it. Never had this award ever been reduced to politics that he and his country fella has turned it into and many people are not happy about it.
It not about how many goals you scored or how many trophies you had won. George Weah won it playing for Liberia but an overall good player for AC Milan, when Roberto Baggio, Vialli etc were the kings of the goals and trophy winners.
Even if Ronaldo blackmailed the world into giving him this award, it carries little weight now in most peoples eyes now, because its no longer on merit but on arm twisting and begging for it.
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by Santino1(m): 11:02pm On Oct 12, 2012
Interesting how people twist events to suit their agenda......so, now it is suddenly not about trophies but we all can recall when Fabio Cannavarro won the same award in 2006 at the expense of Thierry Henry, the simple reason given back then was that the former won the world cup trophy despite the fact that the latter was the highest goal scorer for both club and country and thus, guiding both to major finals (world cup and UEFA champions league respectively). Funny world isn't it?

P.S: I believe whoever wins between the duo definitely deserves it.
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by Mcleo007(m): 12:11am On Oct 13, 2012
Santino1: Interesting how people twist events to suit their agenda......so, now it is suddenly not about trophies but we all can recall when Fabio Cannavarro won the same award in 2006 at the expense of Thierry Henry, the simple reason given back then was that the former won the world cup trophy despite the fact that the latter was the highest goal scorer for both club and country and thus, guiding both to major finals (world cup and UEFA champions league respectively). Funny world isn't it?

P.S: I believe whoever wins between the duo definitely deserves it.

Nobody gives any reasons or justifications as to why the award was given to a player. The award is voted for and not drawn by ballot or selection.
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by Santino1(m): 10:49am On Oct 13, 2012
^^ During the final nomination process, they recap the player's profile for the season and the reason why he is on the final three nominees list before they are eventually voted for..

Besides, my comment was a response to the statement below:

Eziachi:
Mourinho had even made it more difficult now for his sulking player to win it. Never had this award ever been reduced to politics that he and his country fella has turned it into and many people are not happy about it.
It not about how many goals you scored or how many trophies you had won. George Weah won it playing for Liberia but an overall good player for AC Milan, when Roberto Baggio, Vialli etc were the kings of the goals and trophy winners.
Even if Ronaldo blackmailed the world into giving him this award, it carries little weight now in most peoples eyes now, because its no longer on merit but on arm twisting and begging for it.
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by fredoooooo: 10:57am On Oct 13, 2012
some0ne should please tell the only one to concentrate on coaching real madrid .....NEXT

messi , iniesta or casilas is going to win this time
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by omicron(m): 11:30am On Oct 13, 2012
fredoooooo: some0ne should please tell the only one to concentrate on coaching real madrid .....NEXT

messi , iniesta or casilas is going to win this time
True, morinho should stop begging jounalists to vote for Ronaldo but instead allow the winger do the convincing on the pitch. Too much talking by him, trying to appeal to people to give Ballon D'or to CR7 will ultimately prove counterproductive. But it's still between Messi and Ronaldo. Respect to Iniesta, but I think he is a bit below the levels of ronaldo and messi
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by montelik(m): 12:58pm On Oct 13, 2012
Was Titi begging last week when he was extolling Messi, while politely downgrading CR7? Didn't see anyone criticizing or complaining when Villanova has done it a number of times recently. Both managers are allowed to tout their players for due recognition. No need to be one sided even if you don't like Jose's persona.
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by A40(m): 2:08pm On Oct 13, 2012
What did Ronaldo do better than Messi on an individual basis?? More La Liga goals and more UCL goals! Ronaldo had the chance to take the 1st spot-kick against Spain and potentially take Portugal to the semis but he deferred. He did have a good Euros to be fair. Either way I have a feeling neither would get it
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by ddippset(m): 8:35pm On Oct 13, 2012
One of the most ridiculous asertions in world football today is that ronaldo is a winger.a winger and how many assists has he? He is a winger on paper but on the field, just watch madrid's matches and see for yourself.ronaldo is always around the 6 yard box, he even displaces benzema for position and at the end of the day people like mourinho will lie telling us he is a winger. Where are his assists as a winger?he stays near the yard 6 box waiting for ozil alonso de maria to pass him the ball.messi is even. More of a midfielder who always drops back to the midfield.and mr morinho telling us about big trophies and small trophies. Messi in his time won the champion's league.where is ronaldo's champions league medal.la liga isn't so big all of a sudden.la liga isn't so much bigger than messis 4 trophies.tito might say messi is the best he should win ballon dor without calling ronaldos name but why does mourinho have to campaign for ronaldo and put messi down in the process? Insecurity I tell you. He knows who the best player in the universe is.finally he says messi is the best and ronaldo is from another planet?commom mourinho you are stealing messis superlatives.
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by omicron(m): 8:56am On Oct 14, 2012
ddippset: One of the most ridiculous asertions in world football today is that ronaldo is a winger.a winger and how many assists has he? He is a winger on paper but on the field, just watch madrid's matches and see for yourself.ronaldo is always around the 6 yard box, he even displaces benzema for position and at the end of the day people like mourinho will lie telling us he is a winger. Where are his assists as a winger?he stays near the yard 6 box waiting for ozil alonso de maria to pass him the ball.messi is even. More of a midfielder who always drops back to the midfield.and mr morinho telling us about big trophies and small trophies. Messi in his time won the champion's league.where is ronaldo's champions league medal.la liga isn't so big all of a sudden.la liga isn't so much bigger than messis 4 trophies.tito might say messi is the best he should win ballon dor without calling ronaldos name but why does mourinho have to campaign for ronaldo and put messi down in the process? Insecurity I tell you. He knows who the best player in the universe is.finally he says messi is the best and ronaldo is from another planet?commom mourinho you are stealing messis superlatives.
morinho is clearly spoiling it for CR7. His arguments are usually invalid to a large extent, and the world knows that. No wonder messi still gets the more of the votes each year. Personally I pity ronaldo. He is so unlucky to attain the level he is during the time of messi. And talking about La liga and Barca's Four trophies last season, I would consider those four trophies combined together a greater achievement to the La liga won by madrid, so that is not even a valid point. It is not as if Messi didnt win any trophy last season.

1 Like

Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by Mcleo007(m): 10:22pm On Oct 14, 2012
Did Moanrihno say its easier to be Messi dn CR7

Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by Rodaliga: 3:34am On Oct 15, 2012
msschew..diego forlan n wesley sneidjer performed in champions league n world cup...messi/argentina were humilated by germany..forlan n co didnt make last 3 players shortlisted...d award ended up wif messi..and u peepz say there is no politics in it.RONALDO DESERVES IT MORE.last season,it was ronaldo who handed madrid d league title at nou camp..where was messi?i knw platini hates mourinho n he is also a barca fan..so they can give it to any body even MIKEL OBI...lolz
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by goddyjay(m): 10:38am On Oct 15, 2012
Eziachi:
Re: Ronaldo Should Win Ballon D’or, Not Messi – Mourinho. Should He? by goddyjay(m): 10:39am On Oct 15, 2012
Eziachi:
Eziachi:
Eziachi:

(1) (Reply)

Ucl:barcelona 3 : 0 Bayern Munich Full Highlight (download) / Messi's Brother Pokes Fun At Ronaldo Ahead Of Last Day Of Ballon D'or Voting / Is There Any Basketball Club In Port Harcourt That I Can Join?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.