Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Rewriting History: Achebe's Biafra Revisionism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rewriting History: Achebe's Biafra Revisionism (723 Views)

Clark’s Depiction Of Jonathan Is Heretic Revisionism — Obahiagbon / Clark’s Depiction Of Jonathan Is Heretic Revisionism — Obahiagbon / The Igbo People And Historical Revisionism In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rewriting History: Achebe's Biafra Revisionism by ochukoccna: 1:25pm On Oct 13, 2012
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/columnists/rewriting-history/

World acclaimed literary giant and celebrated novelist Professor Chinua Achebe was at his controversial best last week. In his attempt to reopen the debate on the role of Nigeria’s war time leader, General Yakubu Gowon and his Finance Minister Chief Obafemi Awolowo, in the 30-month civil war especially as directed towards Biafra, the literary icon let slip, once again, his hatred for those he perceived to be enemies of Biafra.

His selective perception of events of that unfortunate period in Nigeria’s history and the principal actors that helped shape them left one in no doubt that our dear Prof is more than ever prepared to not only drag us back to those bad and dark old days, but also sow the seed of discord and most likely hatred, between Yoruba and Ndigbo.

To continue to blame Awolowo for some of the policies, (economic and political) of the Gowon Federal Government during and after the war, as they affected Biafra, especially from a jaundiced point of view will do nothing to enhance the policy of reconstruction, rehabilitation and reconsstruction that Nigeria introduced after the war.

History is good to the extent of serving as a useful guide to the future but when those who chose to write history decided to suppress some facts in order to justify their positions, then the generation reading that history will certainly be in trouble. That society, to the extent of relying on that history, is doomed.

It is not in my position to speak for Chief Awolowo. The late sage had answered all allegation relating to his role as a member of the Federal Executive Council during the war, at a town hall meeting he had in Abeokuta in 1983 so those who would like to blame the Yoruba or Chief Awolowo for the misfortune of Ndigbo in Nigeria should look in the mirror. Where else in Nigeria outside Biafra, were Ibos allowed to take back their properties after the war, apart from Yoruba land? Where else have Ibos prospered more outside the south east if not Yoruba land? Of all the ethnic crises that have been bedeviling Nigeria since after the civil war was there a time Ibos were targeted or sent out of Yoruba land? Those fanning the embers of ethnic division in this country or revisiting/rewriting history for selfish purpose had better be careful lest they get consumed in the inferno that could follow.

Pray, what purpose is this Achebe’s history of the Nigeria civil war so to speak, suppose to serve especially now that Ndigbo is trying to court Yoruba in their quest to assume Nigeria’a presidency in 2015. It is possible to want to explain Achebe’s position away as that of a maverick, but if indeed he is, he is one maverick with gravitas. It would be foolish and dangerous to ignore him. If only Biafran leader, Colonel Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu had written that book on the civil war that we all expected from him before he died, may be the issue of who did what during the war would have been put to rest and we wouldn’t be having jaundiced history of the war. But come to think of it, would Ojukwu’s account of the war have settled the controversy? I don’t think so. May be is good he took his memoirs to his grave. Sadly, we will never know.

Re: Rewriting History: Achebe's Biafra Revisionism by OluOlu1: 11:14pm On Nov 20, 2012
Igbos are good. Yorubas are bad. Ojukwu is good. Awolowo is bad. Achebe is good. Soyinka is bad. Nzeogwu is Good. Adegboyega is bad.Ifejuana is good. Banjo is bad. Everything good is Ibo. Everything bad is Yoruba. Igbos are angels. Yorubas are devils. The Igbos spared all the Yorubas in the war. Yoruba killed the igbos in the war. Everyhting Achebe said is true. Everything Awolowo said is false. Igbos are the solution to all Nigerian problems. The Yorubas are the problems of Nigeria. Igbos are dominant. Yorubas are dominated. ........ Prof. Achebe, please draw your conclusion
Re: Rewriting History: Achebe's Biafra Revisionism by cocoduck: 9:09am On Nov 21, 2012
when ever i remember i am
a nigerian i become sad. but i cannot hate my self. I will do something about it

(1) (Reply)

Federal Lawmaker's Mother Kidnapped In Ogun State / . / Army Retires 51 Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.