Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,893 members, 7,821,122 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? (10201 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Disbelieve T.B Joshua, Chris Okafor's Miracles? See Reasons / The Law Of Attraction ( For Those Who Seek Spiritual Knowledge Of Nature) / Attention Goshen360: Nigerian Christians And Their Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 14, 2012
.It has come to my notice that most challenges Nigerians face is usually approached from a spiritual angle. whether its employment, marriage, pregnancy, promotion, sickness, the list is just endless and the most ridiculous of all...financial discipline. these is further aggravated by all pastors, imams etc feeding fat on people's ignorance and a magical (miracle) shortcut to success.

you hear cliches like "God will help them", "by the grace of God" etc
if I'm not mistaken, even with all this, religious sycophancy, endemic corruption, voodoo, slavery etc is prevalent in all strata of the economy.

Japanese, Russians, Chinese etc are not into all this yet based on conscience and morality, they are more humane than us and things are working for them.

More importantly, I see people who will go and visit Imams and pastor to seek solution or validation of business ideas followed by different sacrifices to appease God-knows-what. A mere mortal like them sinful tendencies and problems just like them will be seen as a Demigod.
This issue has really disturbed my mind for a long time and I will love honest and objective response from fellow niralanders

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by tpia5: 1:16pm On Oct 14, 2012
Because of incidents like aluu.

There's something merciless in how africans/nigerians deal with each other.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by nedostic: 7:01pm On Oct 14, 2012
@OP,

Its baffling but it is equally connected to the poor state of the Nigerian economy.

I am sure if our economy were to be good, there would be less of "religionism".

More so,'religionism'in Nigeria has given birth to hypocrisy and more emphasis on materialism rather than contentment and diligence.

The truth remains that majority of Nigerians seek solace in religion just to meet their human needs and not their spiritual needs.

Nigeria as a country cannot move in the right direction with the way religion is presently orchestrated and practised!

As religious as the country, we do not have values for human life,we want to grab it all without being considerate of others.

A poor economy has all the trappings of 'religionism' without a human face as its presently displayed in the Nigerian society.

Need I even remind you that most of the religious leaders are no different from most of of our political leaders. All men of unbridled appetite for acquisitions of comforts and luxuries!

Events happening in Nigeria show how spiritually decayed we are as a people. I wonder the kind of religion we as a people practise!

If there is any 'economic good/spiritual good' that sells like wildfire in Nigeria, its definitely religion! This can be more or less attributed to the squalor and excruciating poverty in Nigeria.

Sometimes, I weep for my country because of her myriad of human-related problems. Our problems in Nigeria are not spiritual but rather human induced problems caused by greed,poor leadership style/vision,impatience(wanna hit it big without breaking a sweat),triviality,intolerance,poor maintenance culture,tribalism/sectionalism,little or no respect for laws/order,lack of genuine love for mankind,etc

I have come to the realization that for us to get out of the woods in Nigeria, we must stop saying this hypocritical prayer"may God help us" but rather we need to make amends of our evil ways and start doing the right things at the right time,only then the Almighty God would hear us and help us indeed.

I believe the country can be great if we decide to make it great only by attitudinal change and NOT farce spiritualism at is being the order today.

God bless us as a people and our beloved country-Nigeria!

23 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 14, 2012
^^^

Excellent !!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Kslib(m): 7:22pm On Oct 14, 2012
mitwitdot: .It has come to my notice that most challenges Nigerians face is usually approached from a spiritual angle. whether its employment, marriage, pregnancy, promotion, sickness, the list is just endless and the most ridiculous of all...financial discipline. these is further aggravated by all pastors, imams etc feeding fat on people's ignorance and a magical (miracle) shortcut to success.
you hear cliches like "God will help them", "by the grace of God" etc
if I'm not mistaken, even with all this, religious sycophancy, endemic corruption, voodoo, slavery etc is prevalent in all strata of the economy. Japanese, Russians, Chinese etc are not into all this yet based on conscience and morality, they are more humane than us and things are working for them.
More importantly, I see people who will go and visit Imams and pastor to seek solution or validation of business ideas followed by different sacrifices to appease God-knows-what. A mere mortal like them sinful tendencies and problems just like them will be seen as a Demigod.
This issue has really disturbed my mind for a long time and I will love honest and objective response from fellow niralanders
Abegi make we hear word!! How are they more humane than us? I know you will start giving examples with what happened in aluu community.. I know that Nigerains are also bad,but we are not the most heartless people in the world..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 14, 2012
nedostic: @OP,

Its baffling but it is equally connected to the poor state of the Nigerian economy.

I am sure if our economy were to be good, there would be less of "religionism".

More so,'religionism'in Nigeria has given birth to hypocrisy and more emphasis on materialism rather than contentment and diligence.

The truth remains that majority of Nigerians seek solace in religion just to meet their human needs and not their spiritual needs.

Nigeria as a country cannot move in the right direction with the way religion is presently orchestrated and practised!

really appreciate the enlightenment.

As religious as the country, we do not have values for human life,we want to grab it all without being considerate of others.

A poor economy has all the trappings of 'religionism' without a human face as its presently displayed in the Nigerian society.

Need I even remind you that most of the religious leaders are no different from most of of our political leaders. All men of unbridled appetite for acquisitions of comforts and luxuries!

Events happening in Nigeria show how spiritually decayed we are as a people. I wonder the kind of religion we as a people practise!

If there is any 'economic good/spiritual good' that sells like wildfire in Nigeria, its definitely religion! This can be more or less attributed to the squalor and excruciating poverty in Nigeria.

Sometimes, I weep for my country because of her myriad of human-related problems. Our problems in Nigeria are not spiritual but rather human induced problems caused by greed,poor leadership style/vision,impatience(wanna hit it big without breaking a sweat),triviality,intolerance,poor maintenance culture,tribalism/sectionalism,little or no respect for laws/order,lack of genuine love for mankind,etc

I have come to the realization that for us to get out of the woods in Nigeria, we must stop saying this hypocritical prayer"may God help us" but rather we need to make amends of our evil ways and start doing the right things at the right time,only then the Almighty God would hear us and help us indeed.

I believe the country can be great if we decide to make it great only by attitudinal change and NOT farce spiritualism at is being the order today.

God bless us as a people and our beloved country-Nigeria!

thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 14, 2012
Kslib:
Abegi make we hear word!! How are they more humane than us? I know you will start giving examples with what happened in aluu community.. I know that Nigerains are also bad,but we are not the most heartless people in the world..

it's not suprising that some idiots and ret.arded mongoloids will try to derail this thread with the debris from thier brain. please ur type is not needed on this thread and ur comments are better left in that moribund brain of yours. please stay clear, swines like you are the problems we need to eradicate.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by plaetton: 8:09pm On Oct 14, 2012
This is from an older thread

The truth remains, davidylan, that today, blacks, whether in the third world, or in the diaspora, are more drawn to religion than non-blacks, especially second hand religions, because:
(a) we are economically disadvantaged and feel less in control of our lives,
(b) We come from superstitious cultures and easily migrate from 0ld superstions to new ones,
(c) We are least educated, have an aversion for rigors of scientific experimentation and analysis,therefore we have the least understanding of how the universe works.
And (d) [/b]the purveyors of religion( those who materialy benefit from religion) employ all the tricks of psychology and marketing to specifically target the often fragmented lives and minds of blacks to their benefit.

Blacks suffer from fragmented history, fragmented cultures, fragmented family setups, fragmented educational priorities [b]and therefore fragmented Realities.

It is these fragmented realities that religious fraudsters see as an inexhaustible resource to capitalise on and exploit.

This is why we have more than 10,000 churches in Lagos and also why no library had been built in Anambara since 1966.[/quote]

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Kslib(m): 11:15pm On Oct 14, 2012
mitwitdot:

it's not suprising that some idiots and ret.arded mongoloids will try to derail this thread with the debris from thier brain. please ur type is not needed on this thread and ur comments are better left in that moribund brain of yours. please stay clear, swines like you are the problems we need to eradicate.
Well,you can say whatever you like,but the statement i quoted in red ain't true. You opened a thread so that people can share their views but you dont expect everybody to have the same opinion with you.. Btw,why the insults? I am really trying hard to stop insulting/replying to insults both online and offline. I strongly advice you not to throw any insults at me again,i really mean it.. If you can't tolerate my comment,just ignore me..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 1:08am On Oct 16, 2012
Kslib:
Abegi make we hear word!![b][/b] How are they more humane than us? I know you will start giving examples with what happened in aluu community.. I know that Nigerains are also bad,but we are not the most heartless people in the world..

the emboldened text indicated you wanted to ridicule the thread. I understand we have different opinions just didn't appreciate the way you convened yours. tender my apology for the insult.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 4:24am On Oct 16, 2012
Kslib:
If that's all you could pick out from such an enlightening post, your case may be beyond redemption...

The OP didn't say Nigerians are the most heartless people...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by birdman(m): 5:57am On Oct 16, 2012
Even the bible says, Wisdom is the principal thing. But its easier to sit in all-night services year in year out, than it is to self examine yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by otokx(m): 12:24pm On Oct 21, 2012
weird mentality
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 21, 2012
The truth is that good numbers of Nigerians are psychologically imbalanced. So, they need something to hold on to as hope that is where the spiritual thing, as tranquilizer, comes in. It has being so effective that they are now being exploited by pastors and others as a mean of acquiring wealth.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by azyaq(m): 12:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
The ansa is not far fetched its because we Nigerians are faithfull sinner :PThe ansa is not far fetched its because we Nigerians are faithfull sinner
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 21, 2012
OP thumbs up! This issue has been disturbing me for a long time now. Nigerians spiritualize evrytin because we hate to take responsibility for our failures. We lack analytical mind and we are extremely greedy and selfish. most nigerian pastors knows this and they take advantage of it to defraud u. We lack the understanding of hardwork. We want to reap without sowing. Even most nigerians with PHD only have educated brain but lack educated mind. We need to learn to exaust human thinking and creativity before channelling it to divinity. God created us in his image and told us to have dominion over the earth. This means he has given us the capacity and ability to solve most problem we face. The developed countries knows this that is why they try to solve many issue physically and as such the reason for scientific breakthrough they are enjoying. U can't expect God to solve problem he has already given u ability to solve from the day u were born. Wen we fail we should learn to accept it as our failure caused by us. We should stop attributing evry misfortune or failure to enemies. Most times the solution to our problem lie within us.

13 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by omiobo: 12:37pm On Oct 21, 2012
@OP,human beings are not robots. We are spirit. We are just like a clay pot without spirit. If you must have a true life,you must be spiritual. Physical things manifest from spiritual world.
Everything is connected to spirit world.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Leopantro: 12:39pm On Oct 21, 2012
rather than applying themselves and looking in-wards to improve themselves,they will quote scriptures and submit a wish list to God for him to do everything for them forgeting that based on how he made us and the various capabilities we have we have dominion over plants and animals for a reason.
i came across this quote recently. let it be food for thought
"Who says i am not under the special protection of God ?"

ADOLF HITLER

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by thelastPope(m): 12:40pm On Oct 21, 2012
Some people like the @op are delusional! They think they are making sense but they don't understand how dumb they sound! Human race is plagued with challenges and questions. It doesn't matter whether they are religious or not.

The stupid1ty of the @op's assertion is that life is perfect in places without religion! Greece is in shambles! Most europian countries are hanging by a thread! America is just a step or 2 away from economic pit. Kingdoms rise and fall. Ironically, most of these kingdoms like America where founded by very religious folks. So your pustulation is baldadash! Nigeria's problem is not religion but a lack of education. I do not necessarily mean a lack of school. Most Nigerians in Europe and America still attend Winners, Redeemed, Christ Embassy, Chosen and many other Nigerian churches over there. So the assumption that it is only in Nigeria people do that is false. Please always do a proper study before you post and make a fool of yourself

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Leopantro: 12:41pm On Oct 21, 2012
@atbu1983, i like you. you reason like i do
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 21, 2012
omiobo: @OP,human beings are not robots. We are spirit. We are just like a clay pot without spirit. If you must have a true life,you must be spiritual. Physical things manifest from spiritual world.
I don't know where people like you always get this idea from. It's appalling the way somebody could frame something up just like that without thinking twice about it. Jeez! It is annoying though!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Youngzedd(m): 12:43pm On Oct 21, 2012
People are extremely wicked.
NO LOVE.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Youngzedd(m): 12:47pm On Oct 21, 2012
omiobo: @OP,human beings are not robots. We are spirit. We are just like a clay pot without spirit. If you must have a true life,you must be spiritual. Physical things manifest from spiritual world.

Throw away the non and take sense.

Some atom of sense is here.
Can you see it?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by kunlekunle: 12:47pm On Oct 21, 2012
thats the age or season of our civilisation.
That was Europe 200years ago.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by adconline(m): 12:51pm On Oct 21, 2012
It's easier to believe in miracles than to roll up our sleeves and do the real work. It's easier to fantasize about life in paradise than build a real home/country in real life.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Leopantro: 12:52pm On Oct 21, 2012
lets rephase the question, has our continuous use of the spiritual angle improved our situation,looking at the big picture? I'm not saying religion is worthless; everyone seeks the truth for self fulfillment. but intelligence is not the same thing as common sense
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 21, 2012
thelastPope: Some people like the @op are delusional! They think they are making sense but they don't understand how dumb they sound! Human race is plagued with challenges and questions. It doesn't matter whether they are religious or not.

The stupid1ty of the @op's assertion is that life is perfect in places without religion! Greece is in shambles! Most europian countries are hanging by a thread! America is just a step or 2 away from economic pit. Kingdoms rise and fall. Ironically, most of these kingdoms like America where founded by very religious folks. So your pustulation is baldadash! Nigeria's problem is not religion but a lack of education. I do not necessarily mean a lack of school. Most Nigerians in Europe and America still attend Winners, Redeemed, Christ Embassy, Chosen and many other Nigerian churches over there. So the assumption that it is only in Nigeria people do that is false. Please always do a proper study before you post and make a fool of yourself
. You are not making any sense at all. The reason why european countries are having recession is because the new generation of europeans went lazy due to the economic welfare the y enjoy. This welfare was as a result of prosperity they achieved due to hardwork of their forefathers. Today they want to enjoy life without working hence the recession. Today the asia tigers (china,malaysia,japan,south korea etc) are developing because they working hard on behalf of the other lazy continent in the world. Europe thought they were enjoying not knowing they were sinking. Christianity and religion is not stupidity. The asia countries e.g china that are doing well today are very religious.but they believe in hardwork and is paying for them. I have worked, schooled and done some trainings with the chinese, south korean etc, this people are very competitive. Country like US that christians like me like quoting as country whose foundation was religion. We quote them wrongly. The forefathers of united stated like their first president Washington were warriors and great thinkers. In as much they believe in God, they believe strongly in the ability God has given them to transform and dominate the earth. US change the world in the 20th century with plenty scientific breakthrough which were product of hardwork and great thinking . US didn't end the second world war by just doing fasting and prayer. They used atomic bomb which took them 4years to develop with plenty experimentation.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 21, 2012
atbu1983: . You are not making any sense at all. The reason why european countries are having recession is because the new generation of europeans went lazy due to the economic welfare the y enjoy. This welfare was as a result of prosperity they achieved due to hardwork of their forefathers. Today they want to enjoy life without working hence the recession. Today the asia tigers (china,malaysia,japan,south korea etc) are developing because they working hard on behalf of the other lazy continent in the world. Europe thought they were enjoying not knowing they were sinking. Christianity and religion is not stupidity. The asia countries e.g china that are doing well today are very religious.but they believe in hardwork and is paying for them. I have worked, schooled and done some trainings with the chinese, south korean etc, this people are very competitive. Country like US that christians like me like quoting as country whose foundation was religion. We quote them wrongly. The forefathers of united stated like their first president Washington were warriors and great thinkers. In as much they believe in God, they believe strongly in the ability God has given them to transform and dominate the earth. US change the world in the 20th century with plenty scientific breakthrough which were product of hardwork and great thinking .
I didn't understand a single thing from your comment. Please, can you explain better?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Wendy80(f): 1:01pm On Oct 21, 2012
My Dear, u don't blame Nigerians who seek spiritual remedy 2most of dia problems.......how do u xplain ds? A man went 4 interview passed the 1st stage,2nd stage and 3rd stage...was given an AP letter only 4him 2resume and was told they will get back 2him almost 2years now he never heard frm them. This has happened 2 ds same guy severally...and he has enviable certificate frm known sch abroad....
Or how do xplain A Lady who after marriage introduction, †ЂΞ suitor never comes back, she's counting 4suitors now
Or A woman who has been ill 4years and Doctors homee n abroad keep telling her Madam nothing is wrong with U,meanwhile she's dying gradually...
My dear sometime des more 2 what our physical eyes can seee

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Goldenheart(m): 1:01pm On Oct 21, 2012
cos we wrestle nt against flesh n blood but spiritual principalities etc.,.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Azedplus(m): 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2012
as much as agree on the issue of social vices,but disagree on religionalism,it comes with its own challenges most of which are due to our economic shortchanges.some of the nations mentioned by the poster are also faced with their own vices too e.g gangsters,lesbianism,crimes etc
Re: Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? by Drunk: 1:08pm On Oct 21, 2012
Its simple, it is just Laziness and inferiority complex nothing more. That's why they seek shortcuts.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? / the sonoflucifer is dead... / What Did God Do For You In 2009? Share Your Testimonies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.