Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,361 members, 7,954,471 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:48 PM

Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos (4885 Views)

PSC Bars Policemen From Carrying Vips’ Handbags, Umbrellas / Vigilantes, Retired Soldiers Vow To Confront Boko Haram / Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Horus(m): 3:51am On Oct 15, 2012
[img]http://2.bp..com/-R7qsTFO5wUs/T3MrCmgTuLI/AAAAAAAAFEI/OaFI6dzHnWY/s1600/Black_hand_with_a_gun.jpg[/img]

[size=17pt]Lagos Police Bars Vigilante Groups From Carrying Arms[/size]

BY EUGENE AGHA, 15 OCTOBER 2012

Lagos — The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Umar Manko yesterday said it is a criminal offence for members of vigilante groups to carry rifles. Manko's reaction may not be unconnected with the killing of four undergraduate students of the University of Port Harcourt by suspected members of a vigilante group at the instance of their village head. The Lagos State police boss said vigilante groups are supposed to work with the police at the local level. "They can arrest suspects and hand them over to the police whose responsibility it is to investigate and prosecute if the need arises. It is a criminal offence for members of the vigilante to carry guns," he maintained. Manko said anyone seen with a gun must have a valid license for it and such individual must have been duly screened by the appropriate authorities. "So it is a crime for one to have a privately licensed gun and in turn hand over same to vigilante group for security purposes," he said. Manko explained that if a vigilante member is arrested with a rifle issued to him by another person they will be arrested for illegal possession of fire arms. He noted that members of the vigilante are there to complement efforts of the police, not to usurp the responsibility of the police. It will be recalled that four undergraduate students of the University of Port Harcourt were gruesomely killed by suspected members of a vigilante group at Aluu community in Rivers State. The Inspector General of Police has vowed to fish out the killers, saying such barbaric act cannot be tolerated in any part of the country.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201210140202.html
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Callotti: 6:04am On Oct 15, 2012
As usual. . . .the innocent suffers.
If the ALUU students had not ventured out into the night with a gun-totting cultist. . . .
Will the vigilante group have arrested them in the fateful turn of events?
The ALUU vigilante did not use guns. . . they used 'planks' to pummel their victims before setting them on fire.
Guns will always find it's way into the wrongest hands.
Did the 'fifth' ALUU cultist get his gun from a vigilante group?

5 Likes

Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Saint52(m): 8:45am On Oct 15, 2012
I THINK THAT IS GOOD FOR THEM AND EVERYBODY,,,,,,,FIRST TO COMMENT
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Donlouise(m): 8:51am On Oct 15, 2012
Saint52: I THINK THAT IS GOOD FOR THEM AND EVERYBODY,,,,,,,FIRST TO COMMENT
. Try again leta ! grin
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Abujafood: 9:08am On Oct 15, 2012
Callotti: As usual. . . .the innocent suffers.
If the ALUU students had not ventured out into the night with a gun-totting cultist. . . .
The ALUU vigilante did not use guns. . . they used 'planks' to pummel their victims before setting them on fire.

You're talking as if you were there with the victims!
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by logica(m): 9:15am On Oct 15, 2012
Horus: Mr. Umar Manko yesterday said it is a criminal offence for members of vigilante groups to carry rifles...It is a criminal offence for members of the vigilante to carry guns," he maintained. Manko said anyone seen with a gun must have a valid license for it and such individual must have been duly screened by the appropriate authorities. "So it is a crime for one to have a privately licensed gun and in turn hand over same to vigilante group for security purposes," he said. Manko explained that if a vigilante member is arrested with a rifle issued to him by another person they will be arrested for illegal possession of fire arms. He noted that members of the vigilante are there to complement efforts of the police, not to usurp the responsibility of the police.
As usual, this one is just running his mouth to be heard. Just check out all the contradictions. Where is he from sef?
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by emmanwandud(m): 9:16am On Oct 15, 2012
ur going 2 be planked next [color=#990000][/color] grin

2 Likes

Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Callotti: 9:16am On Oct 15, 2012
Abujafood:

You're talking as if you were there with the victims!

Did you not watch the video. . .or read the VARIOUS accounts of events? cheesy
Or are you an 'ESUT' graduate re-deployed to 'Baba Suwe's' bakery? undecided

7 Likes

Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by MadCow1: 9:19am On Oct 15, 2012
[b]LOL!!

Poor advice..

You cant send vigilantes armed with only batons to wade off thieves and criminals armed with GPMGS and AK-47 rifles. Even our Police that are armed and even wear body amour dont respond to distress calls until the perps are long gone..

Let the Vigilantes bare arms jor. angry The truth is that I have more faith in local vigilantes than I do in the Police.

- Let every neighbourhood come together and organise a neighbourhood watch and sign it up with the Police.
- The Vigilantes should carry semi-automatic rifles as well.
- Every resident of the area must be registered with them, prominent member of that neighbourhood should be responsible for the vigilante group.
- Ammunitions given to the vigilante group must accounted for on a monthly basis.
- Every member of the vigilante group should be registered with the police after an extensive background check.
- The Police should organize seminars and training for registered vigilantes that are mandatory. That way, the neighbourhood can pay for their vigilante to attend and also, Professional Vigilantes would become a source of employment.
- Every district police station would be responsible for overseeing the activities of vigilantes within their district.
- Every vigilante group should be required to have a radio thats hooked to the police freqency to alert the police incase of a disturbance.[/b]

6 Likes

Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by BabaO2: 9:21am On Oct 15, 2012
Why running away from the fact that state police is the solution to sure daily occurrence of crimes
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by RICHIEBOI1(m): 9:57am On Oct 15, 2012

Well said my Broda. wink
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by RICHIEBOI1(m): 10:01am On Oct 15, 2012
Baba_O: Why running away from the fact that state police is the solution to sure daily occurrence of crimes

So state governors can use the same police to harras and intimidate their opposition abi? state police is not the solution. Nigerian police should be well funded and equipped.
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by jeezybuck: 10:04am On Oct 15, 2012
If you take the guns from the vigilante, you have taken our security away from us. Those big boys will walk into our houses freely every night.

1 Like

Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by dopeJemi: 10:24am On Oct 15, 2012
jeezybuck: If you take the guns from the vigilante, you have taken our security away from us. Those big boys will walk into our houses freely every night.
seconded

if robbers carry gun, vigilante carry wood, who go die

dat man doeznt knw wah hez saying, dey nid d gun 4 self-defence dumb-head

jeezy u very correct, dey r takin security away 4rm us

dese police people r demented nut-heads

d vigilante people r even makin deir work easier n dey r tawkin thrash lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by dopeJemi: 10:26am On Oct 15, 2012

i second dis 1 too grin
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Ulu45: 10:39am On Oct 15, 2012
Is the commissioner a graduate of ESUT? *my tots sha*
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by dopeJemi: 10:44am On Oct 15, 2012
Ulu45: Is the commissioner a graduate of ESUT? *my tots sha*
hahahahahahahaha

nah

hez a graduate of demented illiterates university grin grin grin
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Philipmems(m): 10:48am On Oct 15, 2012
Mad Cow: [b]LOL!!

Poor advice..

You cant send vigilantes armed with only batons to wade off thieves and criminals armed with GPMGS and AK-47 rifles. Even our Police that are armed and even wear body amour dont respond to distress calls until the perps are long gone..

Let the Vigilantes bare arms jor. angry The truth is that I have more faith in local vigilantes than I do in the Police.

- Let every neighbourhood come together and organise a neighbourhood watch and sign it up with the Police.
- Every resident of the area must be registered with them, prominent member of that neighbourhood should be responsible for the vigilante group.
- Ammunitions given to the vigilante group must accounted for on a monthly basis.
- Every member of the vigilante group should be registered with the police after an extensive background check.
- The Police should organize seminars and training for registered vigilantes that are mandatory. That way, the neighbourhood can pay for their vigilante to attend and also, Professional Vigilantes would become a source of employment.
- Every district police station would be responsible for overseeing the activities of vigilantes within their district.
- Every vigilante group should be required to have a radio thats hooked to the police freqency to alert the police incase of a disturbance.[/b]

You have spoken well my broda, dis is exactly how it should be considering the security challenges the police are presently facing. Its quite unfortunate we live in D̶̲̥̅̊ jungle

1 Like

Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by logo77: 11:07am On Oct 15, 2012
jeezybuck: If you take the guns from the vigilante, you have taken our security away from us. Those big boys will walk into our houses freely every night.

@jeezybuck: I agree with you.

This is big joke. Vigilante groups are not social clubs. And most time their mode of operation is not to go after petty thieves but after the "main guys".

So telling them not to carry arms is like sentencing them to death; and when this happens ………………we (the populace and even the police ) lose, and the criminals win!

A typical criminal is more afraid of a vigilante group than a regular police patrol team (however, robbers don’t F.#uk with SARS guys….{”na dem bi BABA” ! }.

Vigilante groups are necessary evils………as a result of the "failure" of the Nigerian Police to tactile criminals (particularly armed robbers).

The truth is that we have all gone sentimental with the ALUU IV(or V) incidence.

I have been on both sides:

1.As a “near victim” of jungle justice and

2.As a volunteer member of neighborhood watch (Vigilante Group)

I don't subscribe to jungle justice...I almost suffered d same in 2009.

If not for God's intervention I would have been disabled or dead by now.

At the same time I have observed many innocent souls under-go serious torture (just because they were at the wrong place, at the wrong time)in the hands of vigilante groups.

What we need is more engagement sessions between the Vigilante groups and police.

1 Like

Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by velo10: 11:35am On Oct 15, 2012
Did the Vigilante in Aluu kill the poor students with arms? The reason why Vigilante carry arms in Nigeria is simply because of the police system.
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by lukkie(m): 11:59am On Oct 15, 2012
Mad Cow: [b]LOL!!

Poor advice..

You make sense well.
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Horus(m): 12:04pm On Oct 15, 2012
velo10: Did the Vigilante in Aluu kill the poor students with arms? The reason why Vigilante carry arms in Nigeria is simply because of the police system.

Yes they did, using petrol and matches to set suspect thieves ablaze can be considered as using arms and should be a criminal offence. They can only arrest suspects and hand them over to the police but if they lynch without judgement they can be in trouble. If the vigilantes Burn alive a suspect it is killing.
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Josh316(m): 12:40pm On Oct 15, 2012

Mr man, were you there when they ventured out into the night with a cultist? all you are quoting is heresay and the truth has been killed with these young lads. we dont know the truth except the boys and those who apprehended them and led them to their horrific torture. so please go easy on the hearsay gist...
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by lekkie073(m): 12:49pm On Oct 15, 2012
am so happy about dis news. hopefully, d opc guys in my area go disarm and dat will give my brotherhood chance to take on dem with our own armoury. *going to market to buy some more groundnuts*
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by velo10: 1:26pm On Oct 15, 2012
Horus:

Yes they did, using petrol and matches to set suspect thieves ablaze can be considered as using arms and should be a criminal offence. They can only arrest suspects and hand them over to the police but if they lynch without judgement they can be in trouble. If the vigilantes Burn alive a suspect it is killing.

Lol. Haba, those are not arms now. If so every human being is dangerously armed...lol. I can never justify the Aluu vigilante for any reason. They pepetrated ill mob justice without arms.

The point is if vigilantes should disarm, the police should be more effective in security cos vigilante would be helpless in security without arms.
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by hardbody: 1:50pm On Oct 15, 2012
Now i am confused. As the Chief Security Officer of my house, no i mean the local government chairman of my domain, providing water, light, road and security to my half of the street, how am i going to prvide security if i cannot shoot at night every night to ward off area thieves and warn them that i am prepared for them.
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Sleek05(f): 2:31pm On Oct 15, 2012
Callotti:

Did you not watch the video. . .or read the VARIOUS accounts of events? cheesy
Or are you an 'ESUT' graduate re-deployed to 'Baba Suwe's' bakery? undecided

Hahahahahahahaha
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Babamide(m): 4:10pm On Oct 15, 2012
Vigilante groups hardly posses guns. They use matchets, knives, planks and charms. I remember the guy killed sometimes ago in Lagos over his #1000 change for crossing a brigde. A charm was used back then. Besides it is not just about the vigilante groups. The group in the Aluu4 killing consulted with the area chief before carrying out the order.
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Clemzy16(m): 4:58pm On Oct 15, 2012
What is the essence of being called a vigilante without arms. That's like giving cutlasses and guns to two set of people to go to war. Sincerely speaking, I've not seen a dumb govt like lagos state before.

1 Like

Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by Vogue50: 6:39pm On Oct 15, 2012
Horus: [img]http://2.bp..com/-R7qsTFO5wUs/T3MrCmgTuLI/AAAAAAAAFEI/OaFI6dzHnWY/s1600/Black_hand_with_a_gun.jpg[/img]

[size=17pt]Lagos Police Bars Vigilante Groups From Carrying Arms[/size]

BY EUGENE AGHA, 15 OCTOBER 2012

Lagos — The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Umar Manko yesterday said it is a criminal offence for members of vigilante groups to carry rifles. Manko's reaction may not be unconnected with the killing of four undergraduate students of the University of Port Harcourt by suspected members of a vigilante group at the instance of their village head. The Lagos State police boss said vigilante groups are supposed to work with the police at the local level. "They can arrest suspects and hand them over to the police whose responsibility it is to investigate and prosecute if the need arises. It is a criminal offence for members of the vigilante to carry guns," he maintained. Manko said anyone seen with a gun must have a valid license for it and such individual must have been duly screened by the appropriate authorities. "So it is a crime for one to have a privately licensed gun and in turn hand over same to vigilante group for security purposes," he said. Manko explained that if a vigilante member is arrested with a rifle issued to him by another person they will be arrested for illegal possession of fire arms. He noted that members of the vigilante are there to complement efforts of the police, not to usurp the responsibility of the police. It will be recalled that four undergraduate students of the University of Port Harcourt were gruesomely killed by suspected members of a vigilante group at Aluu community in Rivers State. The Inspector General of Police has vowed to fish out the killers, saying such barbaric act cannot be tolerated in any part of the country.
Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201210140202.html
nice one! These camouflaged security criminals abuse the privileges given to them , indulge in deviant activities and defeat the aim of their empowerment.
They should be relieved of their duty and allow recognized agencies by law to secure lives and properties.
Re: Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos by revomind(m): 7:28pm On Oct 15, 2012
cheesy

Haha. Calloti is on fire today.

(1) (Reply)

Tension In Douglas House As Gov. Rochas Okorocha Fails To Return- AIT NEWS / Senate Asks Presidency To Submit Confab Report For Consideration / 2019: Controversial Crisis Looms In APC As Party Insists On Direct Primary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.