Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine (25645 Views)

Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerian Students Against Studying In Ukrai / Abuja Aka Roc City, The City Built By Nigerians Not The British!! / Flight From Nigeria To Ukraine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Lanreclassic(m): 10:06pm On Oct 15, 2012
Studying in Ukraine, has in recent times, been a topic of debate considering the alleged racial discrimination being experienced by Nigerian students and the problem of communicating in English Language. As English is not the official language spoken in Ukraine, Nigerian students often have difficulties in communicating when they travel there for their studies.

To buttress this, the Nigerian Ambassador to Ukraine, Frank Ngozi Isoh, has advised Nigerian parents to be wary of sending their children to English Language training institutions as Ukrainians are not proficient in the language.

In September, the National Universities Commission (NUC) had said some states sponsor students to sub-standard universities abroad and Ukraine was one of the countries mentioned. The Executive Secretary of NUC Professor Julius Okojie also made reference to a university in Ukraine where there are over 800 medical students and some of the students do not have the qualification in basic sciences.

In a recent report by Daily Trust, the Ambassador made some startling revelations that raises some doubts about the idea of studying in Ukraine.

The Ambassador said that Nigerians won’t get the best when it comes to studying in Ukraine with the English Language. “One thing I will like to say about education in this place, and this is something we intend to package in a report to government to see how this can be propagated back home – I do not think that Nigerians get the best when it comes to studying in this place in the English language.”

While noting that the lure for most parents is the low cost of tuition which is about $3,000 for a course that could cost up to $20,000 in the United States or Canada, the Ambassador further said that the people who teach them in English language are natives of Ukraine who are also not very proficient in the language.

He advised students who want to study in Ukraine to first learn the local language in order to get the best out of the education system. While speaking on Universities in Ukraine offering medical courses, he said he doesn’t think Nigerian medical students trained in English get the best. “We don’t think that Nigerian medical doctors trained in English speaking universities here get the best. But those who endeavour to learn the language and then attend lectures with the natives certainly get better trained.”

It was only weeks ago that news of a Nigerian student studying in Ukraine who faced life imprisonment for allegedly defending himself against six teenagers surfaced in the media {click here to read it}. What was noteworthy about his case is that he was remanded in detention for several days by the Ukrainian police who refused to take the case to court citing unavailability of the police to get an interpreter for him.

If you were planning on studying in Ukraine, it might be wise to listen to the advice of the Ambassador..

http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/10/15/nigerian-ambassador-to-ukraine-warns-nigerians-against-studying-in-ukranian-universities/

Brought to you by the information detectors Click here to learn more
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by kpozite(m): 11:11pm On Oct 15, 2012
You see imagine a school in Nigeria teaching in a local language NUC will rush and close down that school but now after observing all this, the only action that follows is a mere advice to parents SMH. Why not simply advice FG not recognize certificates from Ukrine

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by ochallo: 8:11am On Oct 16, 2012
The long and short of it is don't go to a country which English is not their main and official language, and a lot of countries fall into that category, it is difficult, even in india, where English is supposedly their second official language,it is difficult in most schools to cope as a lot of the high school grads can't speak english and so are the universities and colleges and centres facilitators , so beware. Dont waste your time or money.
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Basic(m): 8:16am On Oct 16, 2012
And in addition, I've observed that many medical school drop outs in Nigeria run to Ukraine to "study" the Medicine they failed to cope with here in Nigeria.
In the past, when we heard about Nigerians studying abroad, we heard countries like US, UK, and Canada. Now we have Nigerians studying in Sudan, Ukraine, Kenya, name it. And they'll all come back to brag, "I studied abroad!". Well, they actually did (going by the definition of the word "abroad"). Even if you studied in Benin Republic, Cameroun, or Niger republic, you've studied "abroad".

Certificates and licences from non-English and third world countries should be rejected! *My opinion*

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by bknight: 8:17am On Oct 16, 2012
Will they listen? When ukranians start deporting them in inhumane manners or someone gets gruesomely killed, they'll start making noise and building emotional tales around d stories to make garner pity. Mtscheew!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 16, 2012
As English is not an official language in Ukraine, it won't be a big surprise that the locals might not be proficient in it. Duh!
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by hagma37yahoocom: 8:21am On Oct 16, 2012
abeg o wat abt german universities offering engineering courses at masters level tought in english
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by EdwinB1(m): 8:21am On Oct 16, 2012
I better study in ghana than go to the former soviet country to study

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by browncool(m): 8:22am On Oct 16, 2012
I have always thought that Asians were more racist to blacks, but I think Asians are far better compare to Ukraine and Russia. Why would they continually encourage Nigerian students to further their education in such countries when their lives are always at stake?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by greall12(m): 8:22am On Oct 16, 2012
I think their school fees is more cheaper,I have a lot of friend there
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 16, 2012
The Irony of "Studying Abroad" and going to a Lesser Quality School.

A lot of parents send their wards Abroad, just for the "STATUS". Some private universities in Nigeria are a lot better.
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Basic(m): 8:27am On Oct 16, 2012
Funny enough, most of these Nigerian students are not proficient in English. Yet, they're studying in another country whose natives are not proficient too.
What do you think will happen when Nigerian pidgin encounters Ukrainian pidgin?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by bknight: 8:27am On Oct 16, 2012
kpozite: ...but now after observing all this, the only action that follows is a mere advice to parents SMH. Why not simply advice FG not recognize certificates from Ukrine

I think he has done his part. Its left for education minister to take cue and advise FG.
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Basic(m): 8:28am On Oct 16, 2012
HQ: The Irony of "Studying Abroad" and going to a Lesser Quality School.

A lot of parents send their wards Abroad, just for the "STATUS". Some private universities in Nigeria are a lot better.
Gbam!
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Mr9ija: 8:28am On Oct 16, 2012
The sad thing is Nigerians pay bribe of $2000 dollars through agents to settle the ukraine embassy Consulars to get Visa. After the $ 2000 they will now pay visa fee of $1200 for 45 days visa to travel to Ukraine. Students who refuse to pay the bribe are mostly denied visas after they must have spent close to 450k for documentation and confirmed return ticket.
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by peterowode: 8:31am On Oct 16, 2012
wht abt studying in norway or sweden
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by valdubem(m): 8:33am On Oct 16, 2012
na dem sabi undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by solomon111(m): 8:34am On Oct 16, 2012
I send them message?
Na them sabi wetin dem find go there.
NEXT!!
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by asemota2012: 8:36am On Oct 16, 2012
Basic: And in addition, I've observed that many medical school drop outs in Nigeria run to Ukraine to "study" the Medicine they failed to cope with here in Nigeria.
In the past, when we heard about Nigerians studying abroad, we heard countries like US, UK, and Canada. Now we have Nigerians studying in Sudan, Ukraine, Kenya, name it. And they'll all come back to brag, "I studied abroad!". Well, they actually did (going by the definition of the word "abroad"wink. Even if you studied in Benin Republic, Cameroun, or Niger republic, you've studied "abroad".

Certificates and licences from non-English and third world countries should be rejected! *My opinion*
SOME OF THEM COULDN'T PASS JAMB AND POST UME SO THEY TAKE THE SHORT CUT TO GHANA,OR TOGO SOME EVEN GO TO MALAYSIA TO STUDY AND CLAIMED THEY STUDIES ABROAD.
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by ignis: 8:38am On Oct 16, 2012
He who has ear, let him hear.
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Policewoman(f): 8:38am On Oct 16, 2012
Dem for go Afghanistan and Yemen go study too.
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by dabrake(m): 8:39am On Oct 16, 2012
Basic:
. . .
therefore those who studied maths/statistics/computer science/engineering/pharmacy/medicine in india should also have their certificate rejected. Right?
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Basic(m): 8:45am On Oct 16, 2012
dabrake:
therefore those who studied maths/statistics/computer science/engineering/pharmacy/medicine in india should also have their certificate rejected. Right?
What makes India special? Isnt't India another third world country where crappy English is spoken? I've worked with Indians and I know how terrible their English could be. So, India isn't exempted!
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by DICKtator: 8:45am On Oct 16, 2012
Basic: Funny enough, most of these Nigerian students are not proficient in English. Yet, they're studying in another country whose natives are not proficient too.
What do you think will happen when Nigerian pidgin encounters Ukrainian pidgin?

With due respect to the ESUT 3,They would spoke english the way i just written it here!!!
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by Rooneyboy(m): 8:48am On Oct 16, 2012
kpozite: You see imagine a school in Nigeria teaching in a local language NUC will rush and close down that school but now after observing all this, the only action that follows is a mere advice to parents SMH. Why not simply advice FG not recognize certificates from Ukrine
[color=#006600]My friend remain mute if u don't know what to say.
If u go to france u get FRENCH
If u go to U.S you get ENGLISH
If u go to spain u get SPANISH
So y do u expect to go to Ukraine and see english ? /color]
Re: Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine by homeboy232(m): 8:49am On Oct 16, 2012
out of point, all of u are talking out of point..russia a world power country, most of there lecturers are world class , as far as people from canada, usa, uk, germany are studying in russia, who cares if an ordinary under employment nigerians wil condemn those seeking for greener pasture in europe..rapid rate of students studying in abroad wil surely sink nigeria institution very soon, that is if they fail to develop, the ambassador is only speaking out of jealousy, because, even the poor can afford money to study in eastern europe.....

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos VIS Now Use Street Cameras To Capture Cars With Invalid Documents / Dana Air Flight ‎537 Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen – A Passenger’s Ordeal. / Dangote Truck Crashes Into Building In Lagos - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.