Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,628 members, 7,816,591 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri (9251 Views)

Heavy Gunfire In Zaria As Troops Attempt To Arrest Shiite Leader Zakzaky / Bomb Blasts And Gunfire In Kano (Airtel Office & Mallam Kato Square) / Explosions & Gunfire In Nyanya, Damaturu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by teskyg: 3:20pm On Oct 16, 2012
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — At least 15 separate explosions punctuated by gunfire echoed Monday across a northeast Nigeria city long under siege by the radical Islamist sect known as Boko Haram, witnesses said.

Attacks in Maiduguri, the sect's spiritual home, have grown increasingly commonplace, but the apparent sustained strikes, which began Monday afternoon and continued into the evening, saw soldiers lock down nearly every street in the city center. It remained unclear what was happening Monday night, as police and military officials did not answer repeated calls for comment as sirens wailed across the city. Witnesses at the scene of one of the blasts said a primary school was ablaze.

Workers and journalists found themselves trapped inside the Maiduguri office compound of the Borno state governor, as police officers manning the facility locked every gate and stood nervously on guard. Asked what was happening, one officer simply said: "The town is bad."

Earlier Monday, witnesses said a gunman suspected to belong to Boko Haram shot dead a police traffic warden in the city within view of a military checkpoint. The gunman simply walked away after the attack unstopped, witnesses said.

Boko Haram has been launching guerrilla attacks against Nigeria's weak central government for months as part of its efforts to free its imprisoned members and enact strict Islamic law across the multi-ethnic nation largely halved between Christians and Muslims. In recent days, it has begun a renewed offensive in Maiduguri.

On Oct. 5, a bombing by suspected Boko Haram members that killed an army lieutenant sparked a violent retaliation by soldiers. Troops opened fire with assault rifles and heavy machine guns mounted on armored personnel carriers on a busy street near the local headquarters of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, according to witnesses.

Afterward, an Associated Press journalist counted the bodies of more than 30 dead civilians and saw more than 50 shops and homes burned.

The military later denied it killed civilians, but offered contradictory explanations about what happened. Activists say they worry that other recent military strikes against Boko Haram may have killed civilians as well.

Boko Haram, which speaks to journalists in telephone conference calls at times of its choosing, could not be immediately reached for comment Monday night. The sect has killed more than 690 people this year alone, according to an AP count.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/15-explosions-gunfire-heard-in-northeast-nigeria-city-under-siege-by-islamist-sect/2012/10/15/b4c724a4-1706-11e2-a346-f24efc680b8d_story.html
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Foxybone(m): 5:44pm On Oct 16, 2012
NEEEEEXCXXXXXXTTTTTTTT angry angry angry angry
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by venorite(m): 5:45pm On Oct 16, 2012
Do people still live in maidugiri?they should scrap that state abeg...mtschew
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Obinoscopy(m): 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2012
This is obstreperous!

1 Like

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Foxybone(m): 5:47pm On Oct 16, 2012
Foxybone: NEEEEEXCXXXXXXTTTTTTTT angry angry angry angry

Let's see if you can find the "C" in the above
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Iaz93: 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2012
Nawa oh... When would dz idiatz stop na... *sick* +tired
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by antontech(m): 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2012
May God Almighty save this country.
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by ichidodo: 5:50pm On Oct 16, 2012
YAAAAY! NO .3 poster!
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by amosy007: 5:52pm On Oct 16, 2012
Maiduguri motor or state banner should be changed to

CENTER OF PISS peace

whenever religion of piss worshiper dominate a certain area.. U will surely find piss in that area to d extent that u would wana invest ur life time savings there grin
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Foxybone(m): 5:54pm On Oct 16, 2012
ichidodo: YAAAAY! NO .3 poster!

Number 1 no talk, na you dey talk... Mtchwwwww grin grin grin
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 16, 2012
Chei! sad embarassed cry

Shame on Nigeria. See how news of bombings and killings no longer carry weight, making it a norm.

Nigeria I hail thee. cry

1 Like

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by vanbonattel: 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2012
Sweet country Nigeria! Very good country. Why not divide this country now so that suicidal people will be given a suicidal country where they will be free to murder themselves to the last man!
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Foxybone(m): 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2012
pDude: Chei! sad embarassed cry

Shame on Nigeria. See how news of bombings and killings no longer carry weight, making it a norm.

Nigeria I hail thee. cry

That is what it is Sir.... cry cry cry cry cry
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by DANILSA(m): 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2012
I ONLY PITY GOOD MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS CAUGHT IN-BETWEEN THE FIRE, IF NOT I COULD HAVE ASKED THE ARMY TO REPLAY UDI. SO THEY CAN WIPE OUT THE ID.IOTS AND THEIR SYMPATHIZERS. THEY SEEM TO FORGET JTF ARE ALSO HUMAN BEINGS AND NOT ROBOTS. angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2012
Please.... How can i get some of these bombs down to aluu?

1 Like

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2012
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by vanbonattel: 6:01pm On Oct 16, 2012
antontech: May God Almighty save this country.
He must be so tired of our troubles that he abandoned us to die in instalments
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Foxybone(m): 6:01pm On Oct 16, 2012
rafhell: JTF says it kills 24 terrorists after Maiduguri multiple blasts

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/jtf-says-it-kills-24-terrorists-after-maiduguri-multiple-blasts/

Super Story i will say...
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by vanbonattel: 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2012
Imanuelle: Please.... How can i get some of these bombs down to aluu?

Keep the bombs where they are needed, the north.
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 16, 2012
THESE BOKOHARAMITE MUST BE DRUNK ON PISS.
PISS BE UPON THEIR DEAD SOUL + THE SOUL OF THEIR DEAD LEADER AND SOURCE OF INSPIRATION.
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by excondido(m): 6:08pm On Oct 16, 2012
they should allow boko to islamize borno so that we can rest for once. abeg!
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Valiantvaliant(m): 6:09pm On Oct 16, 2012
venorite: Do people still live in maidugiri?they should scrap that state abeg...mtschew
FYI Maiduguri is not a state, its the capital of Borno state. And it is not the whole of Borno that is affected it is only in Maiduguri and some few times in Biu. So it is you and your whole geneological generation that will be wiped away from the face of the earth. Common if you have nothing to say just shut up and allow that hole in your face to heal. Nonsense.
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by HAH: 6:10pm On Oct 16, 2012
if every where is on lock down only the security were on the streets and 15 bombs went off then I think our security official have a question to answer. is either they are ineffective or they are the ones planting the bombs, afterall they receive heavy allowance on daily basis for being in maiduguri to an extent soldiers now lobby to go there.

1 Like

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Puntae: 6:12pm On Oct 16, 2012
Oh Maiduguri, now a harbor of death and barbaric beings (the Bokites),
Who have sworn to starve you of peace and good governance;
Blood of the Innocent, dripping profusely without order,
Oh Maiduguri, Vengeance in your name we seek,
That ye may again find peace.

1 Like

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by akorlade(m): 6:13pm On Oct 16, 2012
It is so sickening when journalist with intention, try to deviate from the objective of their reportage. Multiple bomb blast by BH no condemnation. JTF attacks and they are blamed them for human rights violation. SMH

1 Like

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 16, 2012
HAH: if every where is on lock down only the security were on the streets and 15 bombs went off then I think our security official have a question to answer. is either they are ineffective or they are the ones planting the bombs, afterall they receive heavy allowance on daily basis for being in maiduguri to an extent soldiers now lobby to go there.

shut your dirty stinking mouth!!!!!!!!!! we are fond of condemning those brave soldiers instead of commending them. the life of those guys are at stake. you forget that they are humans with families and friends.

we forgot that they are fighting a bunch of islamic lunatics who are motivated by a desire to die and inherit 77 virgins as laid down by their founder

3 Likes

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by vanbonattel: 6:21pm On Oct 16, 2012
rafhell:

shut your dirty stinking mouth!!!!!!!!!! we are fond of condemning those brave soldiers instead of commending them. the life of those guys are at stake. you forget that they are humans with families and friends.

we forgot that they are fighting a bunch of islamic lunatics who are motivated by a desire to die and inherit 77 virgins as laid down by their founder

Mohammed must have loved fresh toto a lot tongue

1 Like

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by akpanbaba: 6:25pm On Oct 16, 2012
Evidence of peaceful religion.
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Fostercat(m): 6:38pm On Oct 16, 2012
Gen.Obasanjo!
I miss u.this sure a child play for u handle.I wish GEJ could just do it d obj way.BH wud learnt d Odi nd Zakibiam way.give a miliatry order'sweep the town clean'no crow of a chicken shd be heard.these Bastards called BH wud ve taken dressing by now
Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 16, 2012
imagine the north without islam.
i can only but imagine how peaceful it would have been.
may God save us all from this evil.

3 Likes

Re: 15 Explosions, Gunfire In Maiduguri by HAH: 6:49pm On Oct 16, 2012
rafhell:

we forgot that they are fighting a bunch of islamic lunatics who are motivated by a desire to diesie and inherit 77 virgins as laid down by their founder
you should shut stinking ass like mouth there, did i abuse anybody for you to say such razz that. people like you are constant failure in life instead of seeing things from an intelectual point of what I said you are be clouded by sentiment. I don't need to tell you who iam but i have classified information that nonentities like you are not previledge to. go to Dhq and ask how much is the allowance of soldier daily. this guys make almost triple their salary in a month. the only agency I respect in this struggle against insurgency are the sss.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two Jailed For Killing Nigerian in Malaysia / Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos / Breaking!! Nigeria Can't Find Buyers For Her Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.