Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,836 members, 7,820,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists (32700 Views)

Old Photo Of General Babangida, Lt. Col Dimka And Their Coursemates As Cadets / Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 / Nigerian Army Jails Lt. Col., 15 Others Over Chibok Girls’ Abduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Policewoman(f): 10:52pm On Oct 16, 2012
This story was told by none other than the ADC to General Aguiyi Ironsi himself, Captain (Now Senator) Andrew Nwankwo. It shows how the Northerners murdered Lt. Colonel Francis Adekunle Fajuyi and his host, Ironsi. It also shows that they lied to the Yoruba nation that Fajuyi was killed accidentally while defending Ironsi. His murder was covered up by the north in order not to make the west suspicious of their agenda. Read on.

How Ironsi was killed, by his ADC
By PETRUS OBI, Abakaliki
Monday, June 28, 2004
• Senator Andrew Nwankwo
Photo.Sun News Publishing

Senator Andrew Nwankwo from the Izzi clan in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, was a captain in the Nigeria Air Force before the January 1966 coup that made way for Major General J. T. U Aguiyi Ironsi to emerge as Head of State.
He became Ironsi’s Aide-De-Camp through the recommendation of Brigadier George Krubo who was then in-charge of the Air Force and subsequently supervised the late Head of State’s security.

Capt. Andrew Nwankwo (rtd) said he was to die with his boss, but for fate. He was present when both Ironsi and Fajuyi were shot dead.

Tracking the 61-year-old former ADC down in his one story building residence in Abakaliki was not as difficult as getting him to recall the events that led to the death of his master 38 years ago.
He would start by taking you down memory lane when he served as a courier to late Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia, "I was manning the octopus-a helicopter that carries 105 artillery gun and six other machine guns.

"So when Ethiopia was at war with Somalia in 1964/65 we formed the defence group of the emperor, we also formed an attack force. When the emperor is going to the frontline to see what is happening, we ring him round to clear the way for him".
It was part of these that Ironsi saw and handed over his security to the young captain. "It was cool working with Ironsi, he understood everything about what I should do because he had commanded the UN forces in Congo, and that exposed him to the type of people he needed".

The coup
Recalling the events of that night, July 29, 1966, Nwankwo noted that they were in Ibadan, "we had a small detachment of 106 Artillery, Commanded by one Walbe from Plateau"
The Head of State had the previous day hosted traditional rulers from all parts of the country in the Ibadan Government House. "He wasn’t feeling quite well, he had a knee problem and had to go to bed early.

"Lieutenant Sanni Bello was the army ADC, and we were very close. So, we left that night to go and look out and came back late. Lt. Adamu who was the ADC to Fajuyi, Sanni Bello, Walbe and myself, we all slept together in one room that night".
"At about 4a.m the telephone rang, I picked it up and that was Adeola, the then commissioner of police, Ibadan he said he wanted to speak with Ironsi, I said I was the ADC, he said he wanted to speak with him because there was a coup and he gave me some names Orok and two others that had been killed in

Abeokuta.
"Immediately, I made a mental picture of it, and I knew that it was the northerners that were responsible. So, I handed the phone to Ironsi and they talked. I then alerted Adamu and Sanni Bello and said look, there is a coup and the trend is this way.

"Bello assured me that if it is his own people he will protect me, because, there was tension in the land such that we knew a coup was imminent. So, we agreed to protect each other depending on where it will be coming from. I later discovered that Walbe who was sleeping with us was part of the coup; he later became ADC to Gowon.

"Around 5:30 we heard gunfire, then Ironsi had called Col. Njoku to tell him about the coup. As Njoku was going out, he was short at, but he escaped with bullet wounds. It was Njoku, who was the commander of Lagos Garrison that alerted others outside the Government House, Ibadan.
"Fajuyi later sent me outside the government House to find out what was happening. I met Danjuma, who was then a major and he was my friend. He pretended he didn’t know what was happening, he was asking me, and I said I didn’t know. While I was trying to go back, one sergeant from Benue almost shot me, but Danjuma stopped him and spoke to him in Hausa. Danjuma later told me that he would like to see Ironsi, so that he could tell them what to do.

"It was then that Fajuyi came out to find out what was holding me, and there inside the Government House Danjuma ordered for his arrest and mine too. That was when I saw Walbe. Then Fajuyi asked me to take him to Ironsi so that they will obey him, that there should be only one person in charge. So, I took them to Ironsi, and major Newman, immediately he saw Ironsi, he seized his crocodile swagger stick, and then they started asking him about the January coup, he said he didn’t know about it that he only agreed to be Head of State so that he can restore confidence and normalcy. It was immediately they arrested Ironsi that they turned violent".

The road to the valley of death
They marched us down, Ironsi and myself, to where Fajuyi was. They used telephone cable to tie my hands behind and my legs, with a little space to walk. Same they did to Ironsi, but they removed his shirt, he wore only trousers, they also tied Fajuyi. Ironsi was in a Land Rover, Fajuyi in a mini bus and myself in another bus. They drove us towards Iwo Road, 10 km from Ibadan, there was a small forest were they stopped, marched us to the right hand side of the bush, Fajuyi was leading and as he tried to cross a small stream, he fell down, the soldiers were unruly, it appeared some of them had for the first time taken Indian hemp, so when he fell down some of them started beating him.

My escape
As Fajuyi fell down and they were beating him, Sanni Bello came to me and tapped me and said, we could do something now. It was providence, may be I was not destined to die. I took a few steps from them and jumped into a nearby ditch, all in a split of a second, Bello came and stood by the ditch and was shouting that I had escaped pointing at another direction. So the soldiers ran around that direction shooting into the bush, and when they felt they must have killed me, they shot Fajuyi and then Ironsi there, by the side of the stream. So Bello made sure that he was the last to leave the place.
The ADC, who was later elected senator in 1983 stated that the former Head of State could have escaped if not that he wanted to make sure that there was no bloodshed. He said if he sacrificed his life and prevented bloodshed in Nigeria, it’s better for him. Even his chaplain urged him to escape but he said No. Also many of his officers who were contacted instead of taking action ran away.
The ADC denied the prevailing story that Ironsi was tied to a Land Rover and dragged along the road. He maintained that he saw Ironsi and Fajuyi shot dead. "They shot him on the chest and it was a burst, so he would have died after the first shot".

The crocodile staff
It was a swagger stick, which he made after his name Aguiyi (crocodile). It was in the Congo, when he was commanding the United Nations Forces, the Indian troops were to land at the Lumumbashi Airport but the Cameroon gendarmes went and blocked the place with trucks, so that the Indian soldiers will not land, so, he used a Land Rover and with the stagger stick waved as they were shouting, he was eventually able to convince them to remove the trucks. Many attributed that feat to extraordinary powers in his swagger stick. But there was nothing in it, it was just a stick. Ironsi was not fetish; he was a devoted Catholic and attended mass every morning, even the day he was killed. ***** This Interview was culled from www.sunnewsonline.com

4 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Nobody: 6:14am On Oct 17, 2012
Nigeria was never meant to be.

Over ambitious British colonial masters created this empire of blood.

Enough of this bloody history!

It is time correct this mistake.

5 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by aurenflani: 6:48am On Oct 17, 2012
noblezone: Nigeria was never meant to be.

Lucky you nigeria is; else who knows what you will be - maybe 900yrs behind without the europeans.
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 17, 2012
noblezone: Nigeria was never meant to be.

Whether we like it or not, naija is not far from breaking up.
In other news, Scotland to vote in 2014 on leaving the United Kingdom.
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Nobody: 2:00pm On Oct 17, 2012
Akintola was killed in the widely Tagged ''Igbo Kaduna Nzeogwu's coup

Fajuyi was killed in the hausa counter coup

Today.......Achebe also wanted to intellectually kill the Memory of Awolowo......

Yoruba are always caught in the WEB!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by icez: 5:09pm On Oct 17, 2012
Nigerian history.
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by oduz: 2:33am On Mar 23, 2013
Good for the records cool

1 Like

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Nobody: 5:00am On Mar 23, 2013
why not change the topic to HOW AGUYI IRONSI was killed by Danjuma? You igbos are very mischievous. You think by changing the topic, the Yoruba people will come and start attacking the north blindly? You are too small to use us fight your battle, the earlier you get that the better.
Fajuyi died protecting Aguyi IRONSI, a gesture no igbo man can replicate. Why don't you start by telling us how Ojukwu murdered Victor Banjo? Next time, think about the repercussions before going about ethnic cleansing.

9 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by ecosanders: 7:30am On Mar 23, 2013
*556#:
why not change the topic to HOW AGUYI IRONSI was killed by Danjuma? You igbos are very mischievous. You think by changing the topic, the Yoruba people will come and start attacking the north blindly? You are too small to use us fight your battle, the earlier you get that the better.
Fajuyi died protecting Aguyi IRONSI, a gesture no igbo man can replicate. Why don't you start by telling us how Ojukwu murdered Victor Banjo? Next time, think about the repercussions before going about ethnic cleansing.
Dont min d Idi*o*t trying 2 pitch d Hausa n Yoruba 2 w cyber war, even d Man narrating d story was save by a Northerner. I believe Ironsi knws abt d January Coup.
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by maasoap(m): 8:02am On Mar 23, 2013
@OP, I think Igbo people are still to be blamed for all killings that occured during the first coup, after the coup and the during the counter coup. Fajuyi died as a loyal and principled man but not as a "coward", you know your popular word for describing Yoruba people. So, while we were saddened by the death of Fajuyi, we have nothing against Hausas. Sorry for disappointing you.

2 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by tomakint: 8:57am On Mar 23, 2013
Unfortunately, some clowns still believed that Fajuyi actually 'sacrifised' himself to die alongside his boss, Ironsi, which was actually a PURE LIE!

2 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Nobody: 9:02am On Mar 23, 2013
ecosanders: Dont min d Idi*o*t trying 2 pitch d Hausa n Yoruba 2 w cyber war, even d Man narrating d story was save by a Northerner. I believe Ironsi knws abt d January Coup.

January coup was a plan developed by igbos to dominate and rule over Nigerians by force. The coup was carefully planned to install igbo man as president via bloodshed. The 5 igbo majors were pawns used by Zik to pave way for him after eliminating Sardauna, Tafawa Balewa, Akintola and others. Luckily, Awo was in prison courtesy of zik's treachery and the sudden carving out of Midwest to reduce the influence of the southwest.

When they realised that zik, a civilian can't hold on, after the northerners simultaneous rejection and request for the heads of the coup plotters, in order words when they realised that the coup had failed they went for plan B by making aguyi ironsi the president. This singular act and the promulgation of the decree 34 by ironsi to usher in a central government sacrificing the regional system to satisfy their greed of ruling and dominating others, destroyed Nigeria. First we had 3 regions and the competition was very healthy amongst the regions. when zik was denied ruling the western region, he connived with Tafawa Balewa led NPC to carved out Midwest from southwest, after sending awo to prison over trumped up charges.

In trying to dominate Nigeria by force, they later went on to eliminate other regional leaders, leaving theirs like Opkara. Ademolegun with his pregnant wife, Sodeinde, Akintola were all murdered by igbo coup plotters. Fani Kayode was lucky to be alive after the igbo coup plotters faced resistance in Lagos. These are the finest Yoruba gentlemen of that era murdered by igbos in cold blood. Even after destroying southwestern political power house, few months later Fajuyi refused to let T.Y Danjuma take IRONSI alone, an option was given to him to either stick around and die with IRONSI or run away, he stayed even when he knew he was going to die.

But look at the mischievous OP changing the topic in his bit to make us fight the northerners. We are not going to fight the northerners until there is an open declaration of war. For now, we know our enemies, those planning to see our down falls, those going around cyber world attacking our most revered leader, those wishing to take over Lagos, those planning to make us cry, those wishing Tsunami can wipe out southwest.

15 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by ecosanders: 9:15am On Mar 23, 2013
*556#:

January coup was a plan developed by igbos to dominate and rule over Nigerians by force. The coup was carefully planned to install igbo man as president via bloodshed. The 5 igbo majors were pawns used by Zik to pave way for him after eliminating Sardauna, Tafawa Balewa, Akintola and others. Luckily, Awo was in prison courtesy of zik's treachery and the sudden carving out of Midwest to reduce the influence of the southwest.

When they realised that zik, a civilian can't hold on, after the northerners simultaneous rejection and request for the heads of the coup plotters, in order words when they realised that the coup had failed they went for plan B by making aguyi ironsi the president. This singular act and the promulgation of the decree 34 by ironsi to usher in a central government sacrificing the regional system to satisfy their greed of ruling and dominating others, destroyed Nigeria. First we had 3 regions and the competition was very healthy amongst the regions. when zik was denied ruling the western region, he connived with Tafawa Balewa led NPC to carved out Midwest from southwest, after sending awo to prison over trumped up charges.

In trying to dominate Nigeria by force, they later went on to eliminate other regional leaders, leaving theirs like Opkara. Ademolegun with his pregnant wife, Sodeinde, Akintola were all murdered by igbo coup plotters. Fani Kayode was lucky to be alive after the igbo coup plotters faced resistance in Lagos. These are the finest Yoruba gentlemen of that era murdered by igbos in cold blood. Even after destroying southwestern political power house, few months later Fajuyi refused to let T.Y Danjuma take IRONSI alone, an option was given to him to either stick around and die with IRONSI or run away, he stayed even when he knew he was going to die.

But look at the mischievous OP changing the topic in his bit to make us fight the northerners. We are not going to fight the northerners until there is an open declaration of war. For now, we know our enemies, those planning to see our down falls, those going around cyber world attacking our most revered leader, those wishing to take over Lagos, those planning to make us cry, those wishing Tsunami can wipe out southwest.

On point my man! Wen i look bk d early years of our Indendence, i conclude dat d Igbos through their Tribalism n Nepotism in dat Jan Coup ruin dis country, n put us in d state we are 2day. I JUST DNT UNDASTAND DEM, dey want 2 rule Nija, n hav Biafra at d same time.

1 Like

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Nobody: 9:15am On Mar 23, 2013
tomakint: Unfortunately, some clowns still believed that Fajuyi actually 'sacrifised' himself to die alongside his boss, Ironsi, which was actually a PURE LIE!

There's no limit to what you igbos can do. Now answer this, was Fajuyi not aware of the coup in time for him to move or run? Was he not foretold that northern counter coup plotters are coming for ironsi or not? Then, what stopped him from taking to his heels like others? Well, I don't expect you to be sincere.

2 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by tomakint: 9:24am On Mar 23, 2013
*556#:

There's no limit to what you igbos can do. Now answer this, was Fajuyi not aware of the coup in time for him to move or run? Was he not foretold that northern counter coup plotters are coming for ironsi or not? Then, what stopped him from taking to his heels like others? Well, I don't expect you to be sincere.
I am not Igbo! You are still a baby perhaps still 'sucking your fingers' to know your left from your right! Fajuyi was even a principal target for the coup plotters than Ironsi (check your facts) because he gave some strategies and blessings to the first coup that eliminated Akintola, Balewa, Ahmadu Bello and others! cool

3 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by ecosanders: 9:34am On Mar 23, 2013
tomakint:
I am not Igbo! You are still a baby perhaps still 'sucking your fingers' to know your left from your right! Fajuyi was even a principal target for the coup plotters than Ironsi (check your facts) because he gave some strategies and blessings to the first coup that eliminated Akintola, Balewa, Ahmadu Bello and others! cool
i don hear anoda 1 2day, c dis guy trying 2 put d Jan coup blame on Fajuyi. U dey lie!

1 Like

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 23, 2013
tomakint:

Shut it! Liar!

Fajuyi was indeed principal target according to you lying igbos. No one can fall for you again, all man for himself. You displayed your cards earlier enough for all to see.

2 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by tomakint: 9:43am On Mar 23, 2013
*556#:

Shut it! Liar!

Fajuyi was indeed principal target according to you lying igbos. No one can fall for you again, all man for himself. You displayed your cards earlier enough for all to see.
I did not call you a baby for no reason! Go and do your research and don't forget to come back to thank me cool

2 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by ednut1(m): 10:33am On Mar 23, 2013
yeye story, d escape part is just poo, and after u escaped u still waited to see dem being shot, mr adc go nd sleep
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Dede1(m): 1:35pm On Mar 23, 2013
@Policewoman

The northerners never lied to Yoruba nation that Fajuyi was killed accidentally while defending Ironsi or begged to die with Ironsi. The pajamas cowards, without any duress, decided to peddle well concocted crap that would make Fajuyi look like hero while concealing one of damning inherent demeanor associated with a certain group of people.

When western regional government of Nigeria’s gazette published the crap about how Fajuyi wanted to die or killed while defending in Ironsi, it has the trappings of deceit and foolery can only be found in certain section of Nigeria because Fajuyi had no command of gatemen talk less of sentries at time of their arrest.

2 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by nduchucks: 1:45pm On Mar 23, 2013
Dede1: @Policewoman

The northerners never lied to Yoruba nation that Fajuyi was killed accidentally while defending Ironsi or begged to die with Ironsi. The pajamas cowards, without any duress, decided to peddle well concocted crap that would make Fajuyi look like hero while concealing one of damning inherent demeanor associated with a certain group of people.

When western regional government of Nigeria’s gazette published the crap about how Fajuyi wanted to die or killed while defending in Ironsi, it has the trappings of deceit and foolery can only be found in certain section of Nigeria because Fajuyi had no command of gatemen talk less of sentries at time of their arrest.

We made a deal that I will not call you a revisionist while you promised to be truthful in your utterances regarding historical events. I suppose like your hero, GEJ, you people do not believe in honouring gentleman's agreements

The eyewitness account of the ADC to General Aguiyi Ironsi himself, Captain Andrew Nwankwo is more credible than any revision, regardless of the source of the revision. You sir, are not entitled to your own personal historical facts.

The analysis by Nwanyi maramma, Policewoman, seems to be more well thought-out than than of a seasoned historian in this case.

1 Like

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Katsumoto: 4:14pm On Mar 23, 2013
Nwankwo gave a summary of the events and left out some details.

1. Fajuyi was not arrested after he talked with Danjuma the first time. According to Danjuma, Fajuyi extracted a promise from Danjuma not to harm Ironsi. Danjuma told Fajuyi that they were there to arrest Ironsi. When the plotters were arguing with Ironsi about his inactions after the January coup, Fajuyi was still a mediator. It was during this argument that Nwankwo pulled a gun on Danjuma and the five other Northerners present directed their guns at Nwankwo.

2. When Gowon called the government house to warn Fajuyi and Ironsi about the coup, Danjuma answered the phone. This was a side house and not the main house. When Gowon asked Danjuma what was going on, Danjuma said he was there to arrest Ironsi. Again, no mention of Fajuyi.

3. Fajuyi was not arrested, charged, or had his name cited in any coup plotting material. I can not say for certain whether he was involved or not but it is quite possible that his name was slandered after his death. Afterall, the allegations only surfaced after his death.

All sources agree on the above facts. The stories start to change when Fajuyi, Ironsi and Nwankwo are bundled into a truck. Some sources claimed Danjuma walked back to the barracks while others place him at the scene of the killings. The question is, why were there different accounts after Ironsi and Fajuyi were killed? For one, the interview given by Danjuma to Army investigators (General Momoh - The Nigerian Civil War, 1967-1970.) contradicts that given by Walbe to Professor Elaigwu (Gowon: The Biography of a Soldier-Statesman). Walbe admits he was present when Ironsi and Fajuyi were killed but was silent about whether Danjuma was also there.

My opinion
Danjuma, Murtala and the other plotters could not justify the killing of an innocent man to his people and chose to malign his name by alleging that he was part of the plot. This is pure conjecture without facts. If there is no hard proof linking Fajuyi to the Jan 66 coup, then the only reasonable explanation is that he must have offered to die alongside Ironsi so as not to have the sin of complicity on his head. Or he may have been killed just because he was with Ironsi and the plotters did not want to leave a high ranking military officer as a witness. If Fajuyi was killed because it was alleged he knew about the January, then why weren't Gowon and Ojukwu also killed since it was alleged they also knew about the January coup?

10 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Duru1(m): 4:41pm On Mar 23, 2013
@ndu_chucks
@Katsumoto

Your attempts to be relevant in this discussion is rib-cracking laughable. Both of you silly radicals should bury your heads in the sand.

According to Lt William Walbe, in interview he gave to Elaigwu, he categorically stated that Fajuiyi was as good a target to the coup plotters as Ironsi.

I am flabbergasted to know that someone will remotely believe conjectural craps from rumor peddlers to doubt an account from a person who was right at the center of the drama.

Nigeria is certainly an enigma.

3 Likes

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by tomakint: 4:45pm On Mar 23, 2013
Duru1: @ndu_chucks
@Katsumoto

Your attempts to be relevant in this discussion is rib-cracking laughable. Both of you silly radicals should bury your heads in the sand.

According to Lt William Walbe, in interview he gave to Elaigwu, he categorically stated that Fajuiyi was as good a target to the coup plotters as Ironsi.

I am flabbergasted to know that someone will remotely believe conjectural craps from rumor peddlers to doubt an account from a person who was right at the center of the drama.

You got the whole picture perfectly cool

1 Like

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Katsumoto: 4:58pm On Mar 23, 2013
Duru1: @ndu_chucks
@Katsumoto

Dede1

Of course he would say that after he killed Fajuyi. Wouldn't a murderer find a reason for murdering his victim? Why was Fajuyi as good a target as Ironsi? Why weren't Katsina, Gowon, and Ojukwu targets?

You ignored the points I made and preferred to throw sly jibes instead.
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Duru1(m): 5:04pm On Mar 23, 2013
Katsumoto: Nwankwo gave a summary of the events and left out some details.

1. Fajuyi was not arrested after he talked with Danjuma the first time. According to Danjuma, Fajuyi extracted a promise from Danjuma not to harm Ironsi. Danjuma told Fajuyi that they were there to arrest Ironsi. When the plotters were arguing with Ironsi about his inactions after the January coup, Fajuyi was still a mediator. It was during this argument that Nwankwo pulled a gun on Danjuma and the five other Northerners present directed their guns at Nwankwo.

2. When Gowon called the government house to warn Fajuyi and Ironsi about the coup, Danjuma answered the phone. This was a side house and not the main house. When Gowon asked Danjuma what was going on, Danjuma said he was there to arrest Ironsi. Again, no mention of Fajuyi.

3. Fajuyi was not arrested, charged, or had his name cited in any coup plotting material. I can not say for certain whether he was involved or not but it is quite possible that his name was slandered after his death. Afterall, the allegations only surfaced after his death.

All sources agree on the above facts. The stories start to change when Fajuyi, Ironsi and Nwankwo are bundled into a truck. Some sources claimed Danjuma walked back to the barracks while others place him at the scene of the killings. The question is, why were there different accounts after Ironsi and Fajuyi were killed? For one, the interview given by Danjuma to Army investigators (General Momoh - The Nigerian Civil War, 1967-1970.) contradicts that given by Walbe to Professor Elaigwu (Gowon: The Biography of a Soldier-Statesman). Walbe admits he was present when Ironsi and Fajuyi were killed but was silent about whether Danjuma was also there.

My opinion
Danjuma, Murtala and the other plotters could not justify the killing of an innocent man to his people and chose to malign his name by alleging that he was part of the plot. This is pure conjecture without facts. If there is no hard proof linking Fajuyi to the Jan 66 coup, then the only reasonable explanation is that he must have offered to die alongside Ironsi so as not to have the sin of complicity on his head. Or he may have been killed just because he was with Ironsi and the plotters did not want to leave a high ranking military officer as a witness. If Fajuyi was killed because it was alleged he knew about the January, then why weren't Gowon and Ojukwu also killed since it was alleged they also knew about the January coup?

The above reads like stuffs from one Nowa Omoigui. To the best of my knowledge, Danjuma has not given an interview or written a book about the arrest and murder of Ironsi and Fajuiyi. It is bluntly laughable that someone can remotely insinuate there is essence of options given in a matter of coup.

One major player who was at the center of the entire drama was Ironsi’s Air force ADC in the person of Flt. Lt. A. Nwankwo.

1 Like

Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Nobody: 5:12pm On Mar 23, 2013
The real war was Igbos and Hausas and the cyber war is between Igbos and Yorubas still awaiting the real one then we decide who is the super power. Idiots
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Nobody: 5:14pm On Mar 23, 2013
ednut1: yeye story, d escape part is just poo, and after u escaped u still waited to see dem being shot, mr adc go nd sleep

Lol, he was obviously lying.
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by dayokanu(m): 5:22pm On Mar 23, 2013
The Ibos desperate attempt to twist facts
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Katsumoto: 5:36pm On Mar 23, 2013
Duru1:

The above reads like stuffs from one Nowa Omoigui To the best of my knowledge, Danjuma has not given an interview or written a book about the arrest and murder of Ironsi and Fajuiyi. It is bluntly laughable that someone can remotely insinuate there is essence of options given in a matter of coup.

One major player who was at the center of the entire drama was Ironsi’s Air force ADC in the person of Flt. Lt. A. Nwankwo.

Dede1

The problem with you is that you refuse to research accurately preferring hearsay. I provided a book which lists all the interviews following that coup. The Nigerian Civil War, 1967-1970: history and reminiscences (Momoh)

Please answer the question - why was Fajuyi as good a target as Ironsi?
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Katsumoto: 5:42pm On Mar 23, 2013
ednut1: yeye story, d escape part is just poo, and after u escaped u still waited to see dem being shot, mr adc go nd sleep

There are things that don't add up in Nwankwo's story about how he escaped. Why can't Nwankwo name the man or men who pulled the trigger? Nwankwo was the only man who pulled a gun on Danjuma while at Fajuyi's residence yet he is the only one who escaped.
Re: Real Story On How Lt.col Fajuyi Was Killed By Danjuma & The Northern Coupists by Duru1(m): 6:40pm On Mar 23, 2013
Katsumoto:

There are things that don't add up in Nwankwo's story about how he escaped. Why can't Nwankwo name the man or men who pulled the trigger? Nwankwo was the only man who pulled a gun on Danjuma while at Fajuyi's residence yet he is the only one who escaped.

The above statement did not come across to me as a surprise. Before you go crazy with your nonsensical copy-and-paste mumbo jumbo, I must caution you to realize that Flt. Lt A. Nwankwo was not a book writer but a man who confronted Danjuma and his fellow coup plotters in July 29, 1966.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ifa Worshippers Offer To Fight Boko Haram / Buhari Commissions Transport University In Daura, Amaechi, Ganduje, Masari Seen / Sambisa Forest: Chief Of Army Staff, Buratai Has Vindicated Me — Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.