Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Top 15 Intellectual Rappers - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Top 15 Intellectual Rappers (6880 Views)

Top 15 Most Underrated Musicians In Nigeria / Be Wise And Get Enlightened – An Advice To Nigerian Rappers / Top 5 Best Rappers In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by Kay17: 11:19pm On Oct 17, 2012
The decline of rap as a genre, a legitimate and creative channel of expression; and the dulling repetition of boring subjects by most rappers, leaves the question, Is there any hope for Rap??

And my answer is YES, I recently discovered stimulating and surprisingly complex, intelligent lyricists/poets. Talents, I had never imagined for rap. I have only being able to come up with 5 rappers. Here they are:

1. Illogic

2. Saul Williams

3. Immortal Technique

4. Aesop Rock

5. Lupe Fiasco

Pls do comply yours.
Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by Dipwater(m): 2:05am On Oct 18, 2012
Lupe:I think the kid is the future ,am impressed with his work for now,hoping to hear more
Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by wiegraf: 2:09am On Oct 18, 2012
Kay 17:
Rap
Kay 17:
stimulating and surprisingly complex, intelligent

Glaring contradictions there, so much so I am afraid to put them in the same quote. I'm scared even now, as I'm thinking when I press submit my computer or NL's servers will crash due to the dissonance...

I thought most of 9ja found average rap, most of which features 24/7 blinging, complete lack of musicality, shallowness, celebration of stoopid, misogyny, racism etc, to be "stimulating and surprisingly complex, intelligent". Well, even if they didn't, they don't seem to mind. So you should get many other compilations

Kay 17:
Pls do compile yours.
I'd rather just troll, ty.
I remember de la soul, but I didn't follow their lyrics properly. Mos def was also fun. I heard the lasers album from lupe fiasco but didn't give it much thought. I'll look these up though, there might be something there. I've heard good things about aesop rock for instance.
And I kid a bit, I don't discriminate. If it sounds good I'll listen to it. So there are the odd rap songs I listen to, just not many.
Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by cyrexx: 4:51am On Oct 18, 2012
Call me old school if you like, but in my humble opinion the greatest lyricists in the rap genre are still Nas and Tupac. They are realist poets and unlike these bling bling women bashing shallow rappers we have nowadays. They used rap as a an artistic form of expression and movement for social change. You need to sit down and thoroughly listen to some of their lyrics to see what i'm saying.

Thats my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by Kay17: 6:44am On Oct 18, 2012
I understand your skepticism wiegraf, on my list most these "poets" are unknown, but their abstract lyrics could beat tupac's. I think so.
Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by wiegraf: 10:56am On Oct 18, 2012
Kay 17: I understand your skepticism wiegraf, on my list most these "poets" are unknown, but their abstract lyrics could beat tupac's. I think so.

Which albums to try? If you'd be so kind, as they seem to have a lot
Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by Kay17: 9:05am On Oct 19, 2012
Start with particular songs.

Aesop Daylight

Aesop Nightlight

Illogic Hate in a Puddle

Illogic Time Capsule
Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by MusicCafe: 9:22am On Oct 19, 2012
I never listened to some of these cats but you bet I will get 'em now
Kay 17: The decline of rap as a genre, a legitimate and creative channel of expression; and the dulling repetition of boring subjects by most rappers, leaves the question, Is there any hope for Rap??

And my answer is YES, I recently discovered stimulating and surprisingly complex, intelligent lyricists/poets. Talents, I had never imagined for rap. I have only being able to come up with 5 rappers. Here they are:

1. Illogic

2. Saul Williams

3. Immortal Technique

4. Aesop Rock

5. Lupe Fiasco

Pls do comply yours.
Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by Affiliated(m): 4:31pm On Jan 28, 2013
In no particular order

Lupe Fiasco

Rakim

Masta Ace

Nas

Eminem [At a certain period 1995 - 2004]

Soulja boy Just kidding before Seun comes and ban me from Nairaland forever

2Pac

Immortal Technique

Mode Nine

Big L

Jay-Z [Sometimes]

KRS-1

Ice Cube

Obie Trice [Sometimes]

Twista [Sometimes]

And one of my guys in Nigeria called Ozone. He's good

1 Like

Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by wiegraf: 5:57pm On Jan 28, 2013
A day or two ago I came across undun from the roots, and only did so because it features the annoying yet ridiculously talented jesus-lover sufjan stevens. But I have to say, the whole is really, really good. Any other ones similar? I tried madvillain for instance but found it so so. Same with lasers from lupe fiasco for instance. I pay no attention to rap music so I might have missed some obvious choices. If it's all about bling though, count me out. Musicmanship is always good for me as well, more so than attitude

1 Like

Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by ojoawo(m): 12:25am On Jan 29, 2013
Kendrick Lamar
Chipmunk
Lupe Fiasco
AQ
Nas
Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by Affiliated(m): 12:43am On Jan 29, 2013
Affiliated:

And one of my guys in Nigeria called Ozone. He's good

Here's a verse off one of the tracks He did a few years ago called "keep on moving"

I get respect with these hit tracks
even Jimm Jatt had to do a quick scratch like he got a heat rash *
I've spit raps that make the club shake like a tic-tac *
since I was ten so call me prince of the pen
I freestyle fire , good when i'm holding a pen
took punchlines a mode higher . Now you can call me mode ten *
I've got the game open time for me to stroll in
But by now you wonder why my neck is not frost bit ? *
Well I don't bite so i don't have to floss, kid *
Call me the flavor man, who the hell is sauce kid ? *
And what's with the MC's claiming that they're weird ?
If she wants to be a man, i suggest she grew a beard

I can't remember the rest of the verse but it ended like this

The whole streets knows me, i've got no beef like a skeleton *
Re: Top 15 Intellectual Rappers by kambo(m): 4:00pm On Jan 30, 2013
oldies. Not so into it anymore. Caffeine dilated people downlow nas, tu pac mos def (travelln man) buba sparks, tribe called quest , kj52 (christian).

(1) (Reply)

Download Mp3: Dababy – Rockstar Ft Roddy Ricch [video] / Afro Music Channel (dstv 326) Goes Nigerian / Ghetto P--- (modenine Diss) Big Baby** Fire **

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.