Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,711 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan (1027 Views)

Bayelsa Guber: APC Represents Backwardness, Jonathan Tells Electorate By Osa Okh / Dele Momodu Writes Buhari, Says Nigerians Are Lamenting / The "Backwardness" Of Nigeria After Hosting FESTAC 77, Myth Or Reality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by ballabriggs: 12:32am On Oct 18, 2012
Stop lamenting Nigeria’s backwardness – Jonathan

OCTOBER 18, 2012 BY OLALEKAN ADETAYO, ABUJA

President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday urged Nigerians to stop their lamentation over its poor standing among its contemporaries.

He said with the cooperation of all, his government could make significant change that could reposition Nigeria within four years.

Jonathan spoke shortly after swearing in the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission, Mr. Ekpo Nta, and five new permanent secretaries at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Nta has been occupying the office in acting capacity since November 29, 2011. His swearing-in as the substantive chairman was based on his confirmation by the Senate on September 28, 2012.

The new permanent secretaries are Ambassador John Gana (Niger), Mr. John Jegede (Ekiti), Dr. James Ogbewu (Imo), Ambassador Sanni Bala (Katsina) and Dr. Folashade Yemi-Esan (Kogi).

The President admitted that Nigeria could do better as a nation than what is currently obtainable.

He said, “People talk about the 60s when Nigeria was on the same level with some countries. I think we should stop this lamentation.

“It does not take more than 10 years to change a nation from what others have done.

“Even within four years, we can make significant change to reposition Nigeria.”

He charged the appointees with seeing their new positions as a gift from God for service to humanity, adding that they must use the opportunity to serve Nigerians faithfully.

Identifying corruption as one of the stumbling blocks to the nation’s development, Jonathan said all must be ready to fight the cankerworm.

He said all segments of the society should learn to isolate corrupt people in order to discourage fraudulent practices.

He said, “I use this opportunity to plead with all Nigerians. For us really to confront corruption the way we want to, everybody must be involved. All arms of government: the executive, judiciary, the parliament and all individuals, all corporate bodies including nongovernmental, civil Society organisations, community and even faith-based organisations must be involved.

“If people donate money to you and you are not sure of the source, please return it.

“If we must fight corruption, all of us must frown on it. You should not give a chieftaincy title to somebody whose source of income you don’t know, that is my thinking, that is my belief.

“If you do that, you are encouraging that person to be corrupt. So I believe if all Nigerians work together, we will be able to reduce corruption.”

The President promised the ICPC boss that he would not interfere in the activities of the commission.

Jonathan urged the permanent secretaries to avoid mistakes in their job, saying such cost government a lot.

He said the nation was currently weighed down by huge judgment debt awarded against it because of some officials who did not do their jobs well.

He however warned that while trying to ensure that they don’t make mistakes, the officials must also make sure that the nation is not static.

He said since Nigeria belongs to all, all stakeholders must make sure that the nation gets to where its contemporaries are.
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by ballabriggs: 12:37am On Oct 18, 2012
ballabriggs:
“If people donate money to you and you are not sure of the source, please return it.

Good!!! Perhaps Jona will start by returning all the money donated for his campaign in 2011.

Yeye dey smell

And errrmm Jona, Nigeria is not backward biko. You can call Otuoke backward. tongue tongue
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by Ryabcool(m): 2:43am On Oct 18, 2012
Rubbish... He has resorted to passing blames of his failures to his junior officers. I wonder why we shouldn't lament and turn a blind eye to the problems we're facing. Like I said before, rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by ijigbamigb(m): 10:03am On Oct 18, 2012
“If we must fight corruption, all of us must frown on it. You should not give a chieftaincy title to somebody whose source of income you don’t know, that is my thinking, that is my belief"

And you could give National Awards to corrupt individuals whose source of wealth is still very unclear.

4 Likes

Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by FrankC3: 10:45am On Oct 18, 2012
^
And corruption have started fighting back...
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by Callotti: 4:09pm On Oct 18, 2012
The tok-tok continues. . . . . cheesy
Empty V-A-SSELS!!!!

1 Like

Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by ballabriggs: 4:24pm On Oct 18, 2012
Callotti: The tok-tok continues. . . . . cheesy
Empty V-A-SSELS!!!!

Bia na wetin biko? Na my Preshhido Peshe husband you dey call empty vessel?
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by redsun(m): 4:46pm On Oct 18, 2012
The same muderfucker that is spending a over a million on food daily is talking this trash.Heaven knows how much of our monies have been wasted for his wife to remain in intensive care in germany for months.Enough to build a couple of standard hospitals that can save millions of lives in nigeria,especially infants.
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by Obinoscopy(m): 5:40pm On Oct 18, 2012
@redsun pls lets refrain from the use of Abusive words. GEJ is our president. At least lets respect his office. Criticise his government but don't abuse. I'm pretty sure you'll never call GEJ a motherf**ker if he paid you a visit.
Respect, they say, is reciprocal. Pls lets know when to draw the line. Thanks
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by redsun(m): 6:05pm On Oct 18, 2012
Obinoscopy: @redsun pls lets refrain from the use of Abusive words. GEJ is our president. At least lets respect his office. Criticise his government but don't abuse. I'm pretty sure you'll never call GEJ a motherf**ker if he paid you a visit.
Respect, they say, is reciprocal. Pls lets know when to draw the line. Thanks

In as much as i dont see him as being the worst peoblem nigeria has,but i know he is just as corrupt as every other nigerian politician.And for clarification purposes,i dont respect corrupt people(thieves) and i dont respect nigerian politicians,because in a system that works,they will all be jail birds.

1 Like

Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by Obinoscopy(m): 6:21pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ok then, suit yourselve
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by redsun(m): 6:30pm On Oct 18, 2012
Obinoscopy: Ok then, suit yourselve

We have to see them for what they are,criminals.If not they will they will keep ruining our lives and that of the coming generations.

We have to learn to appreciate good,hardwork,honesty and excellence as a people,not the other way round as it is right now in nigeria where all the successful and unchallenged criminals are incharge

1 Like

Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by dayokanu(m): 6:33pm On Oct 18, 2012
Wetin Retardeen dey talk sef.

This kaikai and fish dey affect am?
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by silat(f): 6:45pm On Oct 18, 2012
talk is cheap.
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by Pataki: 6:48pm On Oct 18, 2012
The idiotic nuisance of a president has started again?

Mschewwwwww
Re: Stop Lamenting Nigeria’s Backwardness – Jonathan by Callotti: 7:34pm On Oct 18, 2012
ballabriggs:

Bia na wetin biko? Na my Preshhido Peshe husband you dey call empty vessel?

Instead of him to go and re-dis-virgin his wife after several weeks of non-conjugals. . . he is in the papers talking rubbish.

Patience must be slacking in her duties!

[size=20pt]My Husband Likes My Shape, Patience Jonathan Declares As She Arrives Nigeria…Says She’s Not Terminally Ill[/size]

http://ireports-ng.com/2012/10/17/my-husband-likes-my-shape-patience-jonathan-declares-as-she-arrives-nigeria-says-shes-not-terminally-ill/

(1) (Reply)

Ribadu Report Uncovers Sleaze In Oil And Gas Sector / Delta State Government Budgets N398 Billion For 2013 / Eko O Ni Baje Says Chris Brown On Twitter. Pic.buhahahaha,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.