Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,125 members, 7,829,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet (2571 Views)

What The Earth Would Look Like If The Planets Were As Close As The Moon / Picture Of Earth Taken From Saturn / Cosmic Rays Entering Earth From Mars 2nite.pls Switch Off Ur Fone Tonight! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by ektbear: 9:35am On Oct 18, 2012
The idea that the Moon was once part of Earth was suggested as far back as 1898, but it wasn’t until the mid-70s that the giant impact hypothesis — which suggests that the Moon was formed via the massive collision between Earth and another Mars-sized body — first gained favor. In 2001, Canup and Asphaug published solid calculations in support of the hypothesis, but physical proof of the impact has yet to be found. But according to new research published today in Nature, that may have changed.

A paper published today in Nature by Frédéric Moynier and Randal Paniello of Washington University in St. Louis, and James Day of Scripps, shares findings of a chemical analysis of Moon rocks that shows a fractional difference in their makeup as compared to samples from the Earth. Although the two are markedly similar, it’s been previously shown that Moon rocks lack volatile elements, which suggests they may have evaporated during the incredibly intense heat and pressure created during an impact event. But if the hypothesis that light elements actually evaporated from Moon rocks during their formation is correct, you’d expect to find evidence of elements being layered by mass — heavier elements would condense first, and so on.

That process is known as isotopic fractionation — a concept central to carbon dating — and Moynier and team’s results suggest they found exactly that. They compared the blend of zinc isotopes in Moon rocks and Earth samples, and found that the Moon rocks held slightly higher proportions of heavier zinc isotopes. If the Moon was indeed once part of Earth — which has been modeled extensively — the difference in the balance of zinc profiles would most likely be explained by lighter zinc isotopes evaporating away following a collision.

“When a rock is melted and then evaporated, the light isotopes enter the vapor phase faster than the heavy isotopes, so you end up with a vapor enriched in the light isotopes and a solid residue enriched in the heavier isotopes,” Moynier said. “If you lose the vapor, the residue will be enriched in the heavy isotopes compared to the starting material.”

This is the first time anyone’s published results showing such fractionation in Moon rocks, and in addition to showing that that the Moon rocks differ in chemical composition to Earth, they also show similar differences — low concentrations of zinc, but comparatively high proportions of heavier zinc isotopes — to Martian rock material. The Earth and Mars have chemical makeups similar to chondrites, which are meteors that have not been melted or altered, and thus are simliar to the makeup of rocky material born in the early universe. The way Moon rocks differ from all three suggests that it must have been born under conditions of extreme heat and volatility, like if it condensed out of vaporized rock.

As such, the results lend a lot of credence to the giant impact hypothesis. It’s hard to imagine, but the collision between the Earth and the second body — often called Theia after the mother of the Moon goddess Selene in Greek mythology — would have released so much energy that it would have melted much of the Earth’s mantle, and may have completely obliterated Theia. The resulted cloud of vaporized rock then condensed to become the Moon. As ridiculous as it sounds, it’s the most likely way that the Earth and Moon ended up in their current orbits.

Should Moynier’s results hold up and it turns out the Moon is indeed born from the Earth, further comparison of their chemical differences could explain a lot more about the formation of the early Earth. But the most awe-inspiring thing about the Moon exploding out of the Earth around 4.5 billion years ago is the scale: While the collision that led to the death of the dinosaurs must have been epic in size, it could never compare to the apocalyptic collision of planet-sized bodies that gave birth to the Moon.

http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/10/17/the-moon-was-created-by-a-massive-collision-of-earth-and-a-mars-sized-planet
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by ektbear: 9:36am On Oct 18, 2012
cray.
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by ektbear: 5:39am On Oct 19, 2012
t
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by ektbear: 7:21am On Oct 20, 2012
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by PointB: 11:22am On Oct 20, 2012
Plausible
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by M17: 11:35am On Oct 20, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
HOG stop talking something too critical for your dull brain ape .
start discussing how to cure acute yoruba illness ,just write what you know and stop copying fiction news off of yahoo .
heal your acute savage tribe ,sell the news to your orubaas , douche bags.
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by FreeGlobe(f): 11:44am On Oct 20, 2012
M-16:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
HOG stop talking something too critical for your dull brain ape .
start discussing how to cure acute yoruba illness ,just write what you know and stop copying fiction news off of yahoo .
heal your acute savage tribe ,sell the news to your orubaas , douche bags.
cheesy

Op, how is this politix?
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by Mobinga: 1:47pm On Oct 20, 2012
I might be getting too slow. . .

How is this related to politics?
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by ektbear: 3:56pm On Oct 20, 2012
has nothing to do with politics

but some things are more important than your typical NL political discussion...this i think is one of them
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by ektbear: 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2012
This link discussed a paper published in Nature (basically one of the top scientific journals in the world). So it isn't your typical conspiracy theorist thing. But I guess those of you who'd bothered to click the link would have realized that
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by ScienceFiction: 5:17pm On Oct 20, 2012
Nairaland is not ready for this type of information. You would have better luck discussing such topics on a blog dedicated to science.

Here is an artistic illustration of the Moon being created from Earth.

Image credit: Fahad Sulehria http://www.novacelestia.com/

Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by Mobinga: 5:17pm On Oct 20, 2012
ekt_bear: has nothing to do with politics

but some things are more important than your typical NL political discussion...this i think is one of them

I actually laughed at this.

I see you playa.

Edit:

So in essence Armstrong really never left earth?

That nigga lost.
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by ektbear: 5:19pm On Oct 20, 2012
ScienceFiction: Nairaland is not ready for this type of information. You would have better luck discussing such information on a blog dedicated to science.

Here is an artistic illustration of the Moon being created from Earth.

Image credit: Fahad Sulehria http://www.novacelestia.com/

You are correct. But I will at least do my part by sharing important things when I come across them.
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by ScienceFiction: 5:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

You are correct. But I will at least do my part by sharing important things when I come across them.

Knowledge sharing is a very important endeavor in this day and age. Whatever is beneficial for humanity in general is something that I would support.
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 20, 2012
perhaps this is true.

however i still don't believe in their baloney attempt to use this to prove there is no God. tongue
Re: The Moon Was Created By A Massive Collision Of Earth And A Mars-sized Planet by mkmyers45(m): 2:33pm On Oct 22, 2012
*Kails*:
perhaps this is true.

however i still don't believe in their baloney attempt to use this to prove there is no God. tongue

Nonsense....

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Of Python Killed At Flooded House In Yenagoa / How To Bypass Hammer VPN 100mb Daily Limit And Use It Unlimitedly / Download The Latest Definition Updates For Microsoft Security Esssentials (MSE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.