Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 (3606 Views)

Nigerians Blame Sunday Oliseh For Nigeria's Failure To Qualify For AFCON 2017 / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by mukina2: 2:19am On Oct 19, 2012
NIGERIA'S coach Stephen Keshi has disclosed that he plans to stage a training camp for players from the NPL in Portugal ahead of the AFCON.

This will be in addition to the training camp most likely in Zimbabwe prior to the Nations Cup in South Africa.

"My plan is to have the home-based players for at least two weeks at the adidas training centre (in Portugal),” he told MTNFootball.com.

“I have submitted my programme but we all know that time is not our friend.

“We have one friendly game against Venezuela in the US. And I am hoping that I should be able to have my foreign-based players for at least two weeks."

It is believed that 22 players from the domestic league will make the trip to Portugal with the hope that some overseas-based players will also join up.

Keshi will be at the draw in Durban and will be accompanied by NFF technical committee chairman Chris Green and Eagles team secretary Dayo Enebi.

They will depart the country on Monday. They are due back in Nigeria on October 26 after attending a seminar, the draw as well as a stadium inspection.

The Eagles training camp for the November 14 friendly against Venezuela in Miami will open on November 4.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/sports/49494-keshi-announces-portugal-camp-for-npl-stars-keshi-ogunjobi-for-npl-award
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 9:04am On Oct 19, 2012
Why do we like Portugal so much?
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by MadCow1: 9:06am On Oct 19, 2012
Why Portugal?!!

Why not an African Country?!

All this is just to lavishly spend the money of taxpayers... angry
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 9:07am On Oct 19, 2012
One would expect that they will go and camp in a neighboring country like Zimbabwe or Lesotho.
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by Nasri100(m): 9:09am On Oct 19, 2012
Irrelevant spending
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by Twhizzy1993(m): 9:12am On Oct 19, 2012
embezzlement tinz
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by MadCow1: 9:15am On Oct 19, 2012
afam4eva: One would expect that they will go and camp in a neighboring country like Zimbabwe or Lesotho.

Exactly...

Wasteful NFA
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by kenkruse: 9:15am On Oct 19, 2012
And why must they camp outside Nigeria undecided
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by dominique(f): 9:39am On Oct 19, 2012
It has always been Portugal for as far back as i can remember. Why nff why How many countries go and train in Eruope for AFCON?
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by DrMoses: 9:53am On Oct 19, 2012
expect another 100 delegations on that trip... we need snipers,this is a jet generation... no time.
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by Kslib(m): 10:40am On Oct 19, 2012
Wait oh,wetin dey special for portugal? If dem train for naija,the ball no go gree move,abi their boot go dey magnet grass ni...
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 19, 2012
This is another medium to steal money
Why always Portugal
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by omar22(m): 11:13am On Oct 19, 2012
What a load of loonies

South Africa is in the Southern Hemisphere and a high altitude region, so why is Nigeria base in the Northern Hemisphere and Low Altitude region

If we dont climatise to the region we would be back home before you say Green Eagles, was it Mozambique Nigeria played and thought we should just turn up and play and see how we struggled, and European clubs would like to hold unto players as long as possible.

Poor planning again
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by olivertwist: 11:18am On Oct 19, 2012
When I saw the topic I asked, why Portugal again? But when I took my time to read the article, I understand better - their reasons for choosing Portugal.
Note: The coach said, it's only the home-based players that will be camping in Portugal while ALL of the players(home & foreign based) will camp in one of the countries very close to S.Africa, preferably Zimbabwe.

WHY PORTUGAL?

1. The Adidas training centre in Portugal has one of the best training facilities in the world.

2. These trip to Portugal will expose our home-based players to good training facilities, latest football techniques & top trainers which some of them has never seen in their lives before. So, our home-based players won't be seeing these facilities for the first time by the time they get to S.Africa.

3. The trip to Portugal will change their mentality (esp those that haven't travelled out of Naija before) about being inferior to others.

4. Imagine if we camp in Togo, the kind of friendly games with Togolese local clubs will be pointless coz 'football wise', they are inferior to us. They look up unto us.We can't say the same for Portugal.They are superior to us in football technically not individually.

Lastly, I've not been following the Nigerian Premier League for a while now but I still believe we have some of the best young players in the world. Therefore, I'll like to see a blend of the home & foreign based players in SA.

If Zambia can win with mostly local players then, YES WE CAN.

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by ojotask: 11:25am On Oct 19, 2012
confirm ur news b4 u post

KESHI: WHY I PICKED ZIMBABWE

Eagles Coach Speaks On Choice Of Southern African Country For Eagles Pre N/Cup Camping

Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has explained why he wanted to camp the senior national team in Zimbabwe ahead of the 2013 African Cup of Nations in South Africa.

Keshi who led the Super Eagles to beat the Lone Star of Liberia 6-1 on Saturday to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations said Zimbabwe has the sporting facilities that will help the senior national team to prepare well for the African showpiece.

“I have done my feasibility study and I can tell you that Zimbabwe has modern day facilities that can help our team. I have been there before, so I have no problem with it,” says Keshi.

The former national team captain who submitted his proposal to camp the players in Zimbabwe to the Nigeria Football Federation on Tuesday would have to wait for the FA board to meet before the approval of the proposal.

Spokesman of the Nigeria Football Federation, Ademola Olajire also told Complete Sports that there is no decision that can be made for now until the FA meets at a date yet to be fixed to deliberate on the proposal.

Meanwhile, the Super Eagles will play Venezuela in an international friendly game scheduled for Miami, United States of America on November 14.

“The match is one of the games we want to use to prepare our players for the Nations Cup and we are going to invite the bulk of the players we are hoping to take to South Africa for the tournament", Keshi said.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/news/2012/10/keshi-why-i-picked-zimbabwe
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 19, 2012
olivertwist: When I saw the topic I asked, why Portugal again? But when I took my time to read the article, I understand better - their reasons for choosing Portugal.
Note: The coach said, it's only the home-based players that will be camping in Portugal while ALL of the players(home & foreign based) will camp in one of the countries very close to S.Africa, preferably Zimbabwe.

WHY PORTUGAL?

1. The Adidas training centre in Portugal has one of the best training facilities in the world.

2. These trip to Portugal will expose our home-based players to good training facilities, latest football techniques & top trainers which some of them has never seen in their lives before. So, our home-based players won't be seeing these facilities for the first time by the time they get to S.Africa.

3. The trip to Portugal will change their mentality (esp those that haven't travelled out of Naija before) about being inferior to others.

4. Imagine if we camp in Togo, the kind of friendly games with Togolese local clubs will be pointless coz 'football wise', they are inferior to us. They look up unto us.We can't say the same for Portugal.They are superior to us in football technically not individually.

Lastly, I've not been following the Nigerian Premier League for a while now but I still believe we have some of the best young players in the world. Therefore, I'll like to see a blend of the home & foreign based players in SA.

If Zambia can win with mostly local players then, YES WE CAN.
Well analyzed but the climatic condition under which the tournament will be played still has to be put into consideration !
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by omar22(m): 11:57am On Oct 19, 2012
ojotask: confirm ur news b4 u post

KESHI: WHY I PICKED ZIMBABWE

Eagles Coach Speaks On Choice Of Southern African Country For Eagles Pre N/Cup Camping

Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has explained why he wanted to camp the senior national team in Zimbabwe ahead of the 2013 African Cup of Nations in South Africa.

Keshi who led the Super Eagles to beat the Lone Star of Liberia 6-1 on Saturday to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations said Zimbabwe has the sporting facilities that will help the senior national team to prepare well for the African showpiece.

“I have done my feasibility study and I can tell you that Zimbabwe has modern day facilities that can help our team. I have been there before, so I have no problem with it,” says Keshi.

The former national team captain who submitted his proposal to camp the players in Zimbabwe to the Nigeria Football Federation on Tuesday would have to wait for the FA board to meet before the approval of the proposal.

Spokesman of the Nigeria Football Federation, Ademola Olajire also told Complete Sports that there is no decision that can be made for now until the FA meets at a date yet to be fixed to deliberate on the proposal.

Meanwhile, the Super Eagles will play Venezuela in an international friendly game scheduled for Miami, United States of America on November 14.

“The match is one of the games we want to use to prepare our players for the Nations Cup and we are going to invite the bulk of the players we are hoping to take to South Africa for the tournament", Keshi said.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/news/2012/10/keshi-why-i-picked-zimbabwe

Having the best facilities wont change the fact that they would be training in one climate and playing in a different climate and its extremely hard to run in an high altitude region

Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 19, 2012
South Africa is known for her high altitude, and we all know that this factor affects performance is most athletes.... Low levels of Oxygen due to high altitude makes athletes tire easily.

Like someone here said, having the best available training tools to work with is no match for high altitude. I would love if FA had considered this as a factor when choosing where to camp.
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by yohannazack(m): 6:52pm On Oct 19, 2012
If my amiable president, gej, first lady patience, labaran, edem duke, etc wil eat cassava bread in order to encourage locally made goods, why wunt super eagles train in nigeria? they can camp in benue where there alot of.......... To enjoy themselvs. These guys lack gud head to think joor.
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by manosteel(m): 7:38pm On Oct 19, 2012
If they like let them camp in the moon, i have stopped taking panadol for super Eagles' headaches.
Re: Super Eagles To Camp In Portugal For AFCON 2013 by Nobody: 1:59am On Oct 23, 2012
they can go camp on pluto, alaska or my village, i dun care ooo
all i know CIV will win this cool

(1) (Reply)

How To USE Your Smartphone To Fetch U #500 - 2K Daily On Color Prediction / Top 10 Most Expensive Bikes In The World / Baddest Soccer/ Football Prediction Site Now!!! Check It Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.