Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt (14143 Views)

Nollywood Stars To Features In This Year's Calabar Carnival As A Band / Nollywood Stars - Justus Esiri And Segun Arinze Robbed In London / How Much Do Nollywood Stars Earn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by impetus: 9:24am On Oct 21, 2012
They are part of the movers and shakers of the motion picture industry, and their immense contribution to what is today celebrated as Nollywood cannot be underestimated. When they decided to spread their tentacles to the music industry, one would naturally hope that their ready-made fame in moviedom will pave the way, but surprisingly, their achievements as actors could not make the difference for them in the music industry.

Naij.com decided to make a countdown of the Nollywood stars who flopped in music. We are counting down from Number 10 to Number 1. Enjoy below...

10) OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE:
She is one of the best and celebrated Nollywood diva. She is highly successful as an actress, but several attempts by the beautiful wife of pilot Mathew Ekeinde at music has been nothing to write home about, despite being an established celebrity. She was one of the thespians that tried their luck in music in 2005 after they were banned by the then Ejike Asiegbu led AGN regime. In that year, she released a single entitled Gba, and was followed by a video and album. But despite the massive hype, the album was indeed a failure. She has released another album and songs like Missing You and Feel Alright, but yet, she has made little or no impact in the music industry.

9) GENEVIEVE NNAJI:
Genny, as she is fondly called, is the most celebrated Nollywood actress both in Nigeria and abroad. In 2005 after she was also suspended from acting, Genevieve also took a shot on music with the release of the song No More. She went on to get a mouthwatering recording deal in Ghana, but it wasn’t even enough to make her a force to reckon with in the music industry. She is one of those Nollywood stars who failed in their attempt at music.

cool ANITA JOSEPH:
Until early this year when she announced that she was now a born again Christian, Anita was hitherto referred to as a Nollywood bad girl. Though she was enmeshed in a lot of controversies, Anita has proved her mettle as one of the future talents in Nollywood. Between the years 2008/2009, she released a single and consequently performed in a couple of shows, including the News of The People Awards held at Sheraton Hotels, Lagos. Even at that, she is yet to make any spectacular statement as a singer. She dropped two new gospel singles, claiming that God directed her to do so during the fuel subsidy removal nationwide strike.

7) JIM IYKE:
The list of wannabe Nollywood singers will not be complete without the name of controversial actor, Jim Iyke. The former Globacom ambassador also romanced music when he released the song, Who Am I, featuring one of Nigeria’s finest, Tuface Idibia. Jim, whose genre of music is rap, was actually keen on making a statement musically and he spent a fortune on radio and television hypes. Yet, his music career was short of being a success. The actor also did another entitled Born To Do This and featured Mike Word and Puffy T on it, but it did not make any good impact either.

6) NKEM OWOH (Osuofia):
Popularly referred to as Osuofia, Nkem Owoh is a highly successful actor. At a time, he was the highest paid Nollywood actor, raking millions from every script that comes his way, but when he decided to grab the microphone and consequently released the song, I Go Chop Your Dollar, it was not on a bed of roses. The audio and video of the song were banned on air due to its lyrical content. Osuofia went ahead to record another song, Olamma, but it was also short of being a success.

5) COSSY ORJIAKOR:
Though this naturally endowed actress has a sonorous voice, it was obviously not enough to give her a hit in the music industry. She has recorded a couple of songs and also shot videos, but they were not enough to guaranty her musical success. One of her songs is entitled Me and You.

4) JOHN OKAFOR (Mr Ibu):
Otherwise known as Mr. Ibu, John is a highly skilled and successful actor who has carved a niche for himself. Regarded as one of the most hilarious actors in Nigeria, Mr. Ibu has severally claimed that he has a good singing voice. He actually released an audio/video album some years back, but it cannot be regarded as a success. He had since stick to his original talent-acting.

3) SHAN GEORGE:
She is an actress of note, but like her colleagues, Shan’s attempts at making hits through music have so far been futile. She has an album and has performed in a couple of gigs, including the annual Felabration. For obvious reasons, she is one of the movie stars who could not make impact as singers.

2) LILIAN BACH:
The half-caste actress, had also tried her hands in music, but she was quick enough to withdraw, perhaps after realising that it was a tough terrain for her. (Nollywood wannabe singers learn from her)

1) TONTO DIKEH:
And our number 1 of course is no other person than the "Rave of the Moment": Tonto Dikeh. The recent release of her two new singles have been met with so much hate and rejection. Recently, a Nollywood producer refered to her attempt at singing as a TERRIBLE TREMELO

Ever since she released her singles "Hi"and "Itz Over" Fans home and abroad have made it clear that they don't seem to accept her detour into Music. They practically pulled out all stops just to show their Displeasure.

http://www.talkofnaija.com/news_details.aspx?NewsId=56915E0E-C7AA-4F62-AFD3-5FEFD583AFD9
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by qplus(m): 11:31am On Oct 21, 2012
Let them try again
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by eduson55(m): 11:31am On Oct 21, 2012
from tonto

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by 222Martins(m): 11:36am On Oct 21, 2012
That's why i still respect Patient Ozokwor anytime, any day. Her album was a real success even though the voice used in the songs seem not to be hers.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by candieangel12(f): 11:37am On Oct 21, 2012
eduson55: from tonto

Here comes honey boo boo child!
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by bknight: 11:43am On Oct 21, 2012
Its easier a musician turns a successful actor than a successful actor turn a musician. undecided

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by alarm4: 11:50am On Oct 21, 2012
all of them Musik look "wreck and Wack....sily Musik:they jst do that to get Notice amd media....even thou i ve 1KOBO to buy thr CD i rather by POP OK sweet:
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by OgidiOlu3(m): 11:51am On Oct 21, 2012
Seriously, i can't name one successful actor/actress-turned-singer.
@op, i think Tonto's song is way better than Genevieve's. Most people, including me, don't just like Tonto.
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by eduson55(m): 11:52am On Oct 21, 2012
go produce one and see..
rubbish

alarm4: all of them Musik look "wreck and Wack....sily Musik:they jst do that to get Notice amd media....even thou i ve 1KOBO to buy thr CD i rather by POP OK sweet:
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by friedrice1: 11:55am On Oct 21, 2012
Desmond Elliot wasn't listed?
Nkem Owoh was successful with his attempt, his name shouldn't be on that list.

10 Likes

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by dridowu: 11:57am On Oct 21, 2012
Speechless
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 21, 2012
Just passing by,...on my way from church cool grin

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by eduson55(m): 11:59am On Oct 21, 2012
buhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahah
hahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahaha
hahahahaha
ahahahahahaha
ahahahahahahah
ahahahahahaha
hahahahahahhaha
calebo101: Just passing by, cool...on my way to church cool
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by 12large1: 11:59am On Oct 21, 2012
My friend please take osuofia name out of there. I go chop your dollah was definetly a big hit, it was even on abc documentary, oprah winfrey show although bad image but the song was def good so was "no me when I'm poor" another osuofia song wey make sense. The fact that you even put him at number 5 my friend go suck a good tone

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by jaytime(m): 12:25pm On Oct 21, 2012
This guy should give Nkem Owoh some credit nah. That man took Naija music industry by storm that year. At times I used to wonder why he didnt continue cos he had a huge fan base musically.
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by Nuzo1(m): 12:28pm On Oct 21, 2012
I didn't think Osuofia's I go chop ur dollar was a failure. In fact, it was a commercial success nationwide and beyond. Dude went on a musical tour to Asia, Africa, America and Europe. A feat only accomplished musicians can only attain. He slowed down after the Netherlands police rounded up and arrested some illegal Africans who came to his musical concert. This concert drew the largest gathering of Africans in the history of Netherlands.

Musically, Nkem Owoh was a success with "I go chop ur dollar". Morally, it may have been disturbing.

7 Likes

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by eduson55(m): 12:36pm On Oct 21, 2012
[size=18pt]leave my tonto alone!!!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by mikron(m): 12:38pm On Oct 21, 2012
your list is not accurate, nkem owoh can sing even better than most musicians we have. He does most of the soundtracks of movies he has stared in like sawam, kiss me quick, osuofia in london, osuofia et all. Another actor that made impact in the music scene was john okafor (mr ibu). His song was a success too. Another actor that can sing well too is my friend segun eyerinze sorry Arinze. (Segun na joke o)
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 21, 2012
1. Nkem Owoh should not be there, his song did well. Like someone said he should have continued with music.

2. Truth be told, we just hate Tonto but her song is way better than that of Genevive Nnaji.

3. Genevive should be number one flop there.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by question(m): 12:50pm On Oct 21, 2012
What about those that succeeded in their music attempt??
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by mrkels(m): 12:55pm On Oct 21, 2012
www.nairaland.com/attachments/859187_sssdaas_jpgaafb410f54d5d72693f28e637f8e7334
Tonto dike number 1 shey?
What do you people expect from someone whose first and last name resembles that of a male and femal genetals?

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by ifyalways(f): 12:57pm On Oct 21, 2012
I actually liked Genny's "no more". The video was cool, IMO.
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by cecechris: 1:10pm On Oct 21, 2012
eduson55: [size=18pt]leave my tonto alone!!!![/size]
So many of u, hv similar dreams 2 b like her but dont hv balls 2 make up ur mind 2 record a demo or whatever even with ur useless time n money, most of u cnt even stand out, u talk trash cause other did, c'mon grow up. she made it out with some tracks, instead of u 2 encourge n comment wisely, ur here condeming her songs. Pls lets encourage her positively.
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by lacicrips(m): 1:12pm On Oct 21, 2012
I liked Genny's "no more" too. She did quite well with that particular track.

Nkem Owoh has a very good voice too, and I enjoyed his "419" album. Altho the message didnt go quite well with a lot of us, even if it was the reality.
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by Akposkool(m): 1:28pm On Oct 21, 2012
I almost cried 4 tonto.who da heck produced dat song?they should hav listen to d song b4 shooting.but seriously nkem owoh should not be on dat list.mention one Nigerian singer who toppled him dat year he release dat album!.as 4 genny,wel i like d way she ran wen she noticed her music was wack.lilian bach's song looked exactly lyk an indomie advert.God i kant even talk abt mr.ibu.his own was lyk a political rally.wel jim iyke displayed his gra gra lyk attitude so much dat even the king of chorus (2 face)couldnt help him.am glad they all left d industry 4 d real marshals.

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 21, 2012
When you cant play a chord on keyboard, you want to be a successful singer. Think twice.

Nkem Owoh is a musical success. You need a sense of humor to be a singer and songwriter.
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by brightchukwudi(m): 1:57pm On Oct 21, 2012
222Martins: That's why i still respect Patient Ozokwor anytime, any day. Her album was a real success even though the voice used in the songs seem not to be hers.

Even nkem owoh, his 'ah g0 ch0p your m0ni' was a success t0o.
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by SmileGirl(f): 2:02pm On Oct 21, 2012
@OP U are 100% wrong 4 mentioning Osufia. D song ws a national anthem b4 EFCC shook d living out of it. Kai so d song reach Oprah Winfrey. Yeee, dat one na serious kasala
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 21, 2012
eduson55: [size=18pt]leave my tonto alone!!!![/size]

Are you male or female. As in
Re: Nollywood Stars Who Failed In Their Music Attempt by ochukoeja(f): 3:00pm On Oct 21, 2012
Omo, I rocked Nkem owoh's Agege Bread Song.....he wasn't a flop. N why is desmond elliot's name nt dere? As for tonto, d song was bound to flop from d outset, due to her attitude. I've heard worse from artistes but she was just too rude and uncultured especially on twitter

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo- Tiwa Savage Private Part Exposed While Perfoming On Stage / Scary Moment When Father Dipped His Day Old Baby Into A Pool (see Pictures) / Original CD/DVD Music and Movies in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.