Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,216 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Arabic Inscriptions On Naira - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arabic Inscriptions On Naira (5213 Views)

Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo / ;D / Why New Coins, Notes Bear No Arabic Inscriptions, By Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Idekeson(m): 6:57am On Apr 18, 2006
I read an article recently on Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes that got me wondering. I was meant to understand it's a translation of the value of the currency in Arabic. But what is the status of Arabic in Nigeria, to have it on our currency? Last I checked, English is still the only formal language. I know it is the preferred language of worship for Moslems, like Latin is to some Catholics. But it is not the language of any Nigerian tribe I know. So my question is, why is it on the Naira notes?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by demmy(m): 9:57am On Apr 18, 2006
The writing is not arabic it is ajami. Ajami written with arabic letters is the way the hausa languge was written long before it was latinized. It was put on the naira to allowed the uneducated hausa market men and women who could read ajami recognized each value on the naira. I do believe it should be discontinue with since almost everyone can recognise number value now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Idekeson(m): 12:48pm On Apr 18, 2006
demmy:

The writing is not arabic it is ajami. Ajami written with arabic letters is the way the hausa languge was written long before it was latinized. It was put on the naira to allowed the uneducated hausa market men and women who could read ajami recognized each value on the naira. I do believe it should be discontinue with since almost everyone can recognise number value now.

Ajami! Interesting. How about the 250 other languages that still have a large population that can neither read or write English? I guess the face of the Naira wasn't big enough to accommodate everyone.

6 Likes

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Seun(m): 12:53pm On Apr 18, 2006
Obviously, at the time the decision to use Ajami on the naira note was made, the Hausa population was larger than any other ethnic group that may have deserved special consideration.

One thing that I have noticed is that whether there is "arabic" (Ajami) on the naira note or not, an Igbo man or woman can earn it and spend it with no problems. This is a non-issue.

Previously: Why Do We Have Arabic Words and Letters on Our Currencies?

1 Like

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by spikedcylinder: 12:58pm On Apr 18, 2006
Funny!i have noticed this arabic thingy but never gave it much thought,never even wondered if or why its there. tongue
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Idekeson(m): 1:19pm On Apr 18, 2006
Nwoke:

Obviously, at the time the decision to use Ajami on the naira note was made, the Hausa population was larger than any other ethnic group that may have deserved special consideration.
One thing that I have noticed is that whether there is "arabic" (Ajami) on the naira note or not, an Igbo man or woman can earn it and spend it with no problems. This is a non-issue.

But there wasn't more Hausa than the other ethnic groups and they all had and still have uneducated folks amongst them. The issue is not whether you can earn and spend the Naira or not. The currency is a national symbol and should be treated as such. It's not a regional currency.

3 Likes

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by loma(m): 3:17pm On Apr 18, 2006
What you need to understand is that even before the british came into Nigeria, Arabic was the lingua franca in the North, hence it was only natural for it to be included on the Naira along with English.
If English which is the language of Christainity( brought to us by the white man) is on it, I don't see any problem with Arabic.
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by twinstaiye(m): 3:29pm On Apr 18, 2006
So what is the fuss about that anyway? Tolerance is the watchword here. I am also tired of people saying the National Assembly complex looks like a mosque. Haba! So assuming there is arabic inscriptions on the Naira, what about the arabic inscriptions on the logo of Nigerian Army? For God's sake it does no reference to anything other than what it was, arabic or not, the truth is we must all learn to live as one entity - Nigeria and tolerance as we endure it till date is the watchword.
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by niterider(m): 3:49pm On Apr 18, 2006
Idekeson:

But there wasn't more Hausa than the other ethnic groups and they all had and still have uneducated folks amongst them. The issue is not whether you can earn and spend the Naira or not. The currency is a national symbol and should be treated as such. It's not a regional currency.

How does the arabic on the naira note affect you??
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by my2cents(m): 7:15pm On Apr 18, 2006
personally, the arabic doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, I could care less. However, as a matter of principle, I think it should be removed - As one poster noted, there are 200+ languages in Nigeria. How can we have one language and not others? To me, there is a subtlety to it all.

It's like the confederate flag in america. Sure, the south lost the war and them waving their flag doesn't bother me. But, why fly it at all, unless there is a subtle reason behind it?

Right or wrong, that's my take

2 Likes

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by loma(m): 7:18pm On Apr 18, 2006
Have you seen the Capitol in Washigton? Should it be removed because it looks like a mosque too?

The numerals we use ; 1,2,3, are called Arabic numerals, should we change the name too?

I guess its time to be open-minded about things. Dont sweat the small stuff!

1 Like

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by my2cents(m): 7:27pm On Apr 18, 2006
The capitol dome doesn't look like a mosque, it looks like something from ancient greece.

The numerals may be called "arabic numerals" but they aren't written in ajami

grin

2 Likes

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Idekeson(m): 7:33pm On Apr 18, 2006
niterider:

How does the arabic on the naira note affect you??

Tolerance is accommodating one another's views within the framework of acceptable societal standards. Our societal standards are enshrined in the constitution and laws of the federation. The whole idea of the Nigeria project is for the different diverse cultures to come together and foster one ideal irrespective of our differences. This will be impossible to achieve if we keep allowing sectional interest over the national interest. There was the issue of Nigeria's membership of the Organization of Islamic Conference, a body made up of Islamic states. There was the issue of Sharia law been introduced by some states. Meanwhile, these are not legal under the laws of Nigeria. If we keep appeasing regional interest in the name of tolerance, very soon "Things will fall apart and  the center cannot hold"

3 Likes

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by tju38: 11:51am On Apr 19, 2006
If I had a say, I would put Hieroglyphs shocked on the Naira. It is the only true current language of Africans (Nigerians included).

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Emmion(m): 10:44pm On Apr 19, 2006
Whether arabic or ajami its wrong for consideration to be made for a group of people when we have alot of other groups. Also i potrays Nigeria as a muslim state which is not true. If a foreigner sees our currency he/she wont say its ajami. the simple conclusion will be that Nigeria is arabic. Talk about wrong impressions and representations!

1 Like

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by GL(f): 1:32am On Apr 22, 2006
the arabic on the naira doesn't affect me, as i'm free to spend it when i like and even give it in church. i don't like it though, because it is more a symbol of Islam to me, than of northerners/hausas, and religion is a sensitive issue in Nigeria. However, I don't really care about those arabic words anymore (I used to before) because I believe it doesn't make Islam, Arabic or whatever it symbolises, our national religion/language/image. I'd vote for it to be removed, but I think there are more important issues.

When the ECO replaces the Naira, it won't be an issue anymore.
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by IG: 4:26pm On Apr 24, 2006
It's a pity that poeple that I expect to be enlightened can be so narrow minded. Arabic is not the same as Islam. The ajami writing on the naira is not intended for Hausas alone but for all the groups that use Hausa as their lingua franca. It should be noted that Hausa has been an official language in many parts of the North a long time before colonization and all official documentations are done in ajami. I don't know if the South has an equivalent for ajami or any form of writing prior to coming of the colonial masters. It's as simple as proposing that it should be included on the naira.

The following should also be noted to avoid such blunders in the future

1-Not all Northerners are Hausa's
2-The eagle on the Nigerian court of arms is a catholic symbol
3-Arabic is not the same as islam. In fact 40% of palestinians are christians.
4-The dome is not a requirement in building a mosque. Domes are recognized worldwide as a sign of power.
look at the capitol hill and Kremlin.

Please Nigeria is a federation you must learn to tolerate. For example muslims are not required to rest on sundays
but have accepted sunday as weekend and friday as work day.
Our university system is a christian system(Deans,Chancellors e.t.c). The graduation gowns we wear are choir outfits.
"Minister" is a church title.

And for all my Lagosian friends, There is more to Nigeria than just Lagos and Ibadan. Take a tour to other parts of Nigeria and you will know how much you have been missing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with facts.

1 Like

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Rhea(f): 4:57pm On Apr 24, 2006
IG:

2-The eagle on the Nigerian court of arms is a catholic symbol

News to me.
Pls IG, no offence meant, but what does the eagle signify in the catholic doctrine? Just a little clarification to clear my ignorance (with facts of course)

1 Like

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by niterider(m): 5:13pm On Apr 24, 2006
@ rhea
The man made alot of points.If u cld only pick on no2,that means u agree wit the rest of wat he said.For me,i agree wit every point he made
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Danmasani(m): 7:17pm On Apr 24, 2006
This is nonsense. whatsall the fuzz about arabic inscriptions on the Naira? who cares? For God's sake, this isn't supposed to be even discussed. There are more perenial issues at stake and some people are worried about the inscriptions on the Naira? worry about its value please,

To IG, Thanks Buddy for making people know some aspects of the North. I'm sick of people telling me shit about the North. Cuz am from Kaduna doesn't make me a moslem nor do i drive cattle around. Fulanis rear cattle please.
Views of southerners on the north is highly distorted. It's high time Nigerians no the correct facts about that region before voicing shit out of their mouths!
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Rhea(f): 7:18am On Apr 25, 2006
niterider:

@ rhea
The man made alot of points.If u cld only pick on no2,that means u agree wit the rest of what he said.For me,i agree wit every point he made

@niterider,
Thanks. I never said I agree or disagree with IG's point. I wonder if you read my thread from right to left. However, you did not answered the question I asked (probably because it was not directed at you smiley).
I simply want to understand the significance of the eagle in the catholic doctrine. If you can enlighten me, please do (with facts please).

If not, then concentrate on the thread while I wait patiently on IG.
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Idekeson(m): 1:27pm On Apr 25, 2006
One of our fundamental faults as a nation is that we do not understand the concept of the rule of law. I have no problem with Ajami been elevated as part of our official language, if it is the wish of the nation, not just to accommodate the wishes of a segment of the country. Any law or policy of the federation ought to reperesent the wishes of majority of the constituent parts. That is democracy. The argument that Ajami is not Islamic but rather a widely accepted language in the North, is strong but totally beside the point. The country chose English as its medium of communication for a variety of reasons, mainly due to our diverse culture and language. If this goal is not been fulfilled, then the issue should be put up for debate on how to fix it, having in mind the different interests at stake.

1 Like

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by IG: 3:20pm On Apr 26, 2006
Rhea thanks for challenging my point on the "Eagle". I've realized that I have made a mistake. The eagle is not only a catholic symbol but a chhristian symbol. Now for the facts.

The Eagle is a symbol of Christ and His Divine nature, of regeneration by baptism; it is also an emblem of St. John the Evangelist. As the eagle can gaze upon the shining orb of the sun with steadfast eyes, so can Christ gaze undazzled upon the refulgent glory of God the Father.

But you have the right not to believe me. For more info checkout the following page http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02576b.htm

Please friends let's open our minds.
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by niterider(m): 4:34pm On Apr 26, 2006
@ IG
give us some more facts man.I'm loving ur ways man.
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by IG: 8:07pm On Apr 26, 2006
@Rhea I hope my facts are appreciated.

It is funny that in Nigeria muslims and christians see each other
as rivals. There is never a time in Islamic history where genuine muslims
view christians as enemies. In fact the first person to give refuge to early muslims is the
christian King Negus of Abysynnia (now Ethiopia).
I think in Nigeria we are allowing our sentiments and some selfish religious leaders to rule us.

The christian bible said "Thou Shall Know The Truth And The Truth Shall Set You Free"
I think it's a duty on all of us to seek the truth and learn to appreciate it even if we do not like it's source.

@niterider, some more to info about the eagle symbol

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/symbols/eagle.htm
http://ww2.netnitco.net/users/legend01/eagle.htm
http://www.stpaulslansing.org/visitor_heirlooms.asp

And about Arab christians check the following

http://www.al-bushra.org/arbhrtg/0arbhrtg.htm
http://www.arabicbible.com/christian/arab_christians.htm

To know more about christian-muslim relation in true Islam, the following links will give you a hint

http://www.themodernreligion.com/comparative/christ/christianity_charter.htm
http://www.cyberistan.org/islamic/treaty631.htm

Know me before you judge me
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by niterider(m): 5:48am On Apr 27, 2006
Thanks man
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by mike404(m): 12:12pm On Jul 10, 2013
Seun: Obviously, at the time the decision to use Ajami on the naira note was made, the Hausa population was larger than any other ethnic group that may have deserved special consideration.

HOW ABOUT THE ARABIC INSCRIPTIONS ON AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY ZARIA'S CAMPUS MAIN GATE

1 Like

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by aiboss: 1:22am On Mar 18, 2017
demmy:
and the one on army emblem one Nigeria lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Kingspin(m): 3:48am On Mar 18, 2017
The self claim religion of peace have nothing to offer than killing.

2 Likes

Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 18, 2017
demmy:

HAHAHAHAHAHA..... WHEN THEY STARTED PLANNING IT U HAVEN'T BEEN BORN
Re: Arabic Inscriptions On Naira by thuggCheetah(m): 9:44am On Mar 18, 2017
Seun:

ignorance at its peak
Smh

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Presidential Primaries: Full Live Updates + Programme Of Event / WHY AMAECHI IS A GONER (INTEGRITY GROUP DEFENSE AT THE SENATE) / Cnn's Jim Clancy Blasts Buhari On Twitter Over Plagiarism "Immoral... Dishonest"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.