Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,001 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) (7932 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by olunifemi(f): 1:46pm On Apr 18, 2006
me believe women should treat their husbands' people as they would treat their own family members; but d reverse is d case 4 some women who think they hv no business with other family members of their hubands since they r only married 2 their sons and not 2 them.wht r your views
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by Zahymaka(m): 4:35pm On Apr 18, 2006
I believe they should treat them well but you also need to examine the man's side. Most of them believe it's their "brother's" house and so they can do anything -- that they're even more precious than the wife.

My mom is very accomodating but sometimes she tells me she sees why most women are very aggressive to their husbands' folks. For one, two of my cousins are very annoying and rude to her. She does everything for them and treat them even better than us the children and they try to overstep their boundaries.

I don't know, but my brothers would never do anything foolish to my wife when I get one. As for most of the rest of my exended family, I don't trust them.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by Seun(m): 4:41pm On Apr 18, 2006
My family members (wife's in-laws) will have their own homes and we will have our own home, and we will only have to meet during Christmas. It shouldn't be hard for my wife to be nice to them for 24 hours in a year!

Besides, we all hold the idea that a marriage consists of a man and his wife, period.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by chinani(f): 3:44am On Apr 19, 2006
I love the idea of being close to my husband's people. I'd want to have the type of relationship where my mother-in-law can be in the room w/ me when I have my 1st baby and such. I think it's the best situation. I think so many women quarrel w/ the husband's ppl over nothing. undecided It seems they think that the hubby's ppl are annoying & intrusive but their ppl are entirely different. How likely is that?
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by Seun(m): 4:38am On Apr 19, 2006
Your in-laws may not be worse than your own parents, but the fact remains that you are not their daughter by blood. They know that they are not stuck with you; their son can always leave you to marry someone else if they find you unsatisfactory.

There are cultures (yoruba) that encourage relative from the husband's side to intrude in their marital affairs. Imagine a teenaged boy wanting his elder brother's wife who is older than him to call him "broda" and kneel down for him because "we are all your husbands". Not while I'm alive!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by olunifemi(f): 4:38pm On Apr 19, 2006
Nwoke:

Your in-laws may not be worse than your own parents, but the fact remains that you are not their daughter by blood. They know that they are not stuck with you; their son can always leave you to marry someone else if they find you unsatisfactory.

There are cultures (yoruba) that encourage relative from the husband's side to intrude in their marital affairs. Imagine a teenaged boy wanting his elder brother's wife who is older than him to call him "brother" and kneel down for him because "we are all your husbands". Not while I'm alive!
mmmmm, yoruba with our yamayama(stupid) culture!
aside our so calld culture in nigeria,i think a woman needs 2 treat her husband pple with respects.i know of an area sister who doesnt like seeing any of her husband's relations around her gate not 2 even talk of entering d compound ;all in d name of enjoying her husband.God forbid,if anythg happens 2 d husband,who would she go 2 4 help?think women!!!
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by chinani(f): 10:20pm On Apr 19, 2006
@ Nwoke
I get your point. If the husband leaves (or maybe mistreats you) they prolly won't have your back. undecided
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by omogenaija(f): 9:47pm On Apr 25, 2006
my mom talks so much sh!t bout my dad's ppl when it comes to her family they r the best.

i told one day that she will be an in-law to somebody and they wont be nice to u.

and then she slapped me.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by chinani(f): 5:31am On Apr 26, 2006
omogenaija:

and then she slapped me.
shocked shocked shocked They say the truth hurts. But I thought it was supposed to hurt the hearer not the speaker sha.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by Zahymaka(m): 4:42pm On Apr 26, 2006
chinani, you make me laugh. omoge-jackson you must have hit a very tender spot -- I'm sure you won't raise that topic again [except you're some distance away].
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by Rhodalyn(f): 4:43pm On Apr 26, 2006
Accepting family members of ya spouse to live wit ya aint da best at allllllllllllllll shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by tolumi(f): 3:37pm On Apr 27, 2006
Rhodalyn:

Accepting family members of ya spouse to live wit ya aint da best at allllllllllllllll shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
i know but a wife should be accommodating 2 her husband's pple whenever they come visitg.did i say somethg wrong?
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by Zahymaka(m): 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2006
Definitely not tolumi -- educated and self-respecting relatives will know that they ought not to visit all the time. The French have a proverb:

Like fish, guests get poisonous after three days

I wouldn't expect my cousin to visit me on my honeymoon.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by Rhodalyn(f): 4:14pm On Apr 27, 2006
tolumi:

i know but a wife should be accommodating 2 her husband's people whenever they come visitg.did i say somethg wrong?
accommodating? dat is jst like saying ''a wife shd be asking for trouble''
i dnt get da bit bout U askin me if ya said smtin wrong
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by eveseh(f): 7:52pm On Apr 27, 2006
hmmmmmmmm,nice question,
but too bad am not married yet
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by debbieolat(f): 10:46am On May 03, 2006
I'm not married yet but engaged to this lovely and respectable man. We both live in UK with his parents in Nigeria and mine in London. I call his parents from time to time and we relate well.
I was even surprised when his mum was the first person to call me on my birthday and she rings me at least once a week to pray for us. He also call my parent every week to say hello.

Not all in-laws are bad. Mine are cool. My mother in- law to be acts like she's my mum and I've not even set my eyes on her yet smiley smiley but i can't wait to see her
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by Rhea(f): 12:02pm On May 03, 2006
Debbieolat,

I think you have a very blissful marriage in the making. You must have worked very hard to get it to this level. Keep it up. You must havebeen very receptive to your man's parents. I hope we all can emulate that.

I strongly believe that the immediate family cannot be excluded in any marriage. They have a very vital role to play in its success.

I'm not married yet, but hope that my wife-to-be (with my support & her cooperation) will relate well with my folks, and vice versa.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by olunifemi(f): 5:57pm On May 12, 2006
Zahymaka:

Definitely not tolumi -- educated and self-respecting relatives will know that they ought not to visit all the time. The French have a proverb:

Like fish, guests get poisonous after three days

I wouldn't expect my cousin to visit me on my honeymoon.
how many in-laws r educated in nig?
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by olunifemi(f): 2:17pm On May 16, 2006
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by olunifemi(f): 8:57am On Aug 19, 2006
more comments pls
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by nancyekpoh(f): 4:21pm On Sep 15, 2006
A woman aught to relate positively with her inlaws.
She should accomodate them and take them as part of her own family.
By so doing there will peace in such family.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by EmemJU(f): 4:34pm On Sep 15, 2006
They are nice to me and I'm nice to them. I try not to get TOO close, that way we don't get on eachother's nerves. I think they actually do love me.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by izoneb(f): 5:22am On Sep 21, 2006
Well some in-laws hate u even before meeting you.Especially mothers-in law.More so if their son is well to do.They want him to marry their choice.So not all women who are not too good with their in-laws are bad.You just have to be as nice as you can,be yourself and leave them to God.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by olunifemi(f): 4:40pm On Sep 26, 2006
yeah just be urself
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by jaybaby(f): 4:59pm On Sep 28, 2006
Love 'em & repect 'em like ur own FAMILY BUt they should STAY in their house!

no staying 4 weekend & stuff-it brings TROUBLE
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by olunifemi(f): 5:31pm On Oct 05, 2006
?
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by mide2(f): 3:59am On Dec 23, 2006
dunno, but some inlaws can be really pathetic. Mine aren't, thank goodness.    My Mom inlaw to be is really good, she wears her feelings on her sleeves but its right out and over with. Just like she'll do to her blood daughters. I'm not too lose to thm sister inlaws tho, but sisters dont seem to be muh trouble uz they'll be in their hussy's. And he aint got no bruvs.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by minniepoe(f): 1:09pm On Jun 29, 2007
Hmmmmm, i love my in laws. they are the best in laws in the world. i have a very goo relationship with my mother in law, she treats me like her daughter, likewise my father in law. my parents visit them and they visit my parents in return. my sister in law is like the big sister i dont have, i am even closer to her than my husband is.
we live in ireland and they live in lagos. if my mother in law dont get to hear from me within a week and half, she starts getting worried.

i would say the way one relates to her in laws depend on the in laws themselves. right form the day i knew them they have shown me nothing but love.

that not withstanding, wives and husbands should love to their in laws. the bible commands us to love our neighbours. i know some in laws could be very nasty, just like my dads family were to my mum. they were hypocrites!!! nice to her in her presence but said terrible things about her. my mum did give a damn about their ways she never stopped being her good self to them.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by laudate: 8:28pm On Jun 29, 2007
izoneb:

Well some in-laws hate u even before meeting you.Especially mothers-in law.More so if their son is well to do.They want him to marry their choice.So not all women who are not too good with their in-laws are bad.You just have to be as nice as you can,be yourself and leave them to God.

Some mothers-in-law hate their daughters-in-law, simply because their son didn't marry someone else they chose for him, or because they feel their control over the chap will be broken, now that he has a wife.
Re: How Do You Relate With Your Husband's People? (In-Laws) by MILITIA(f): 11:04pm On Jun 29, 2007
@Topic
They are so many! So I play deaf, dumb, blind and dead stupid! Let the husband deal with them oh! I do not go near them at all! Even when we are under the same roof, I always find a way to dissappear. Not that I do not like them. I just love to remain a mystery to them to keep the respect going! Mother-in-law and Father-in-law are both dead, but truck loads of uncles, aunties, cousins, nieces, nephews, brothers and sisters!

(1) (Reply)

Some Weird Names Parents Used To Name Their Kids. / The Life And Times Of Late Mystery Man Kolawole Olawuyi. / Advice Pls: What Should I Do With Her If I Caught Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.