Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,399 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? (5921 Views)

People Who Failed To Use Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos Punished (pics) / Fashola Spends More Than 1.18 Billion Naira On Six Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos / Obi Awards Pedestrian Bridges, Roads and Stadium To Be Completed Within 30 Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 27, 2012
naptu2: Hm!
www.nairaland.com/attachments/847680_a20ped_jpga23fee70a33a4db6891bdf60a9e3021b

animals even know it's unsafe to cross while those dumbskuls wait so they can cross.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by SisiKill1: 12:43pm On Oct 27, 2012
Nigerians sha! We know how to ignore the important issue. See people arguing back and forth while the important questions remain unanswered. undecided

@OP
What car does the wifey normally cruise?

How often do you cruise the beemer?

Does wifey get to cruise the beemer?

How do you decide who cruises what when?

Are the Beemer and the Merc the only available cruising options? If yes, why? If no...could you please list them?

How good does the Nat Cole CD sound in the Beemer? Have you played the CD in the Merc? How do they compare?

What obvious differences are there between the Merc 600 and say a Merc 500. Please list at least 3.

Finally, you didn't mention what series the Beemer is....so if you don't mind we would like that too.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by OkwaIfugo(m): 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2012
We were born with shortcut so we behave and act and get what ever we did with the means of short cut.
lmao
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by sunkoye: 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2012
95% of lagos residents are lawless ni!
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by vivaciousvivi(f): 1:04pm On Oct 27, 2012
@OP: one simple word - INDICIPLINE. People can make excuses abt d state of some of these bridges, the crowds using them, beggars populating it, the fact dat people defecate on them or d funniest I read so far...fear of heights. But we do have ped bridges that r new and yet abandoned by pedestrians. It all boils down to indicipline. By d time d LSG ensures that people r fined or jailed (for a short period) if they dnt use d bridges, my naija people will use them regardless of their so called states. Case in point, wearing of seat belts while driving. Let's face it, we have no excuse for doing d wrong thing and for any govt to resort to d use of force (say, LASTMA) to make people use d bridges, then its a crying shame. We shldt allow ourselves to be forced like sheep to use d bridge. Excuse d last sentence, afterall I saw pics of sheep using d bridge while humans crossed d road!!!
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Orikinla(m): 1:25pm On Oct 27, 2012
[size=28pt]The people in Lagos who don't use foot bridges are mostly Hausas and other RE-TAR-DED Nigerians.[/size]
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by ba7man(m): 1:55pm On Oct 27, 2012
I never fail to use a pedestrian bridge when its available and if I ever hit a pedestrian crossing while a bridge is available, sorry I aint stoppin, your luck.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Arkti3(m): 2:06pm On Oct 27, 2012
Ishilove:
What da...?? ?

Do I need to change my prescription glasses or am I seeing SHEEP using a pedestrian bridge?? ??

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

What a wonderful nation, where everything is possible.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 27, 2012
Lagos is a place where everyone is too fast and impatient and always looking for shortest cut to anything.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 27, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Nigerians sha! We know how to ignore the important issue. See people arguing back and forth while the important questions remain unanswered. undecided

@OP
What car does the wifey normally cruise?

How often do you cruise the beemer?

Does wifey get to cruise the beemer?

How do you decide who cruises what when?

Are the Beemer and the Merc the only available cruising options? If yes, why? If no...could you please list them?

How good does the Nat Cole CD sound in the Beemer? Have you played the CD in the Merc? How do they compare?

What obvious differences are there between the Merc 600 and say a Merc 500. Please list at least 3.

Finally, you didn't mention what series the Beemer is....so if you don't mind we would like that too.

Thanks in advance.
Judge sisi, pls we need your confirmation at the debate thread.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Osheshe(f): 3:11pm On Oct 27, 2012
I've been puzzled by this same issue for some time now. It seems to me, that all attempts by the state government to create some sort of law and order, are met with stiff resistance from some die-hard, bone marrow-stubborn individuals.

What's the essence of dashing across a busy road, when one can just as easily cross over to the other side of the road at you own pace? Is it some sort of macabre Usain Bolt stunt?

It doesn't end there. These individuals get to the concrete demarcation between the lanes, and execute moves that will put even Jackie Chan to shame; they swiftly swing over these concrete units, men and women alike, regardless of their attires - skirts (minis, knee-length or ankle-length), iro and buba, agbada and other garments.

With the same stupefying speed, they hike up these garments, keep a death-grip on their belongings/ children, 'guage' the speed of on-coming vehicles on the next lane, select their 'moment of glory' and dash down the road again.

In my own candid opinion, I think it will take more than just sharing free snacks on pedestrian bridges to entice people to use them. Until they fall victims and are involved in ghastly motor accidents, some peeps will never learn.

May the good Lord grant us all the wisdom to make correct use of our thinking faculties, make the right decisions, and discard 'haste' in our movement.

Its better to be safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by dramenda(f): 4:34pm On Oct 27, 2012
naptu2: Hm!
www.nairaland.com/attachments/847680_a20ped_jpga23fee70a33a4db6891bdf60a9e3021b

SO SO FUNNY,GUESS ANIMAL ARE MORE REASONABLE THAN SOME PEOPLE,SOMEONE EVEN SAID A PARTICULAR GOAT EATING ON TOP OF A BIKE IS MORE SENSIBLE THAN NIGERIAN LEADER cool

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by victorian(f): 5:16pm On Oct 27, 2012
Its not easy climbing most of those bridges oooo... I nearly had a massive heart attack the day i tried it..the design of the bridges is not friendly at all, only very few, one can easily climb and drop from it... i dread the bridge like plague. I will rather take a bus going to the other side of the road... and if am down with migraine or bodypains , i simply take a cab.. my heart nearly burst sad
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by hoodboy(m): 6:06pm On Oct 27, 2012
victorian: Its not easy climbing most of those bridges oooo... I nearly had a massive heart attack the day i tried it..the design of the bridges is not friendly at all, only very few, one can easily climb and drop from it... i dread the bridge like plague. I will rather take a bus going to the other side of the road... and if am down with migraine or bodypains , i simply take a cab.. my heart nearly burst sad
I guess you are over weight
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 27, 2012
Orikinla: [size=28pt]The people in Lagos who don't use foot bridges are mostly Hausas and other RE-TAR-DED Nigerians.[/size]

LMAO, aboki don suffer for naija ooo.choi grin grin grin

victorian: Its not easy climbing most of those bridges oooo... I nearly had a massive heart attack the day i tried it..the design of the bridges is not friendly at all, only very few, one can easily climb and drop from it... i dread the bridge like plague. I will rather take a bus going to the other side of the road... and if am down with migraine or bodypains , i simply take a cab.. my heart nearly burst sad
True. A good example is the lekki phase 1 bridge along Ajah road. Seems that bridge was designed and built by local apprentice bricklayers. If you miss your step on your way up or down, just say your last prayers...
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by 360command: 8:11pm On Oct 27, 2012
some-girl:
Fear of heights perhaps.
If i lived in lagos, i'd rather get caught and pay a fine than use a bridge.

Have you ever entered a Black Maria before? before you think about paying a fine, the Lastma officials might put you inside the black maria and when you are inside, you begin to think about the law you have broken. if you are lucky not to enter the main HELL HOLE, you would want to use the bridge next time simply becos been in the Black Maria alone is a warning lesson.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by emiye(m): 10:43pm On Oct 27, 2012
It is simple, A typical Lagosian tends to be lawless, except it meets brute force to obey the laws.

(s)he dares not do that when out of the country.

A combination of sensitization on the need to do the right thing and brute force for the stubborn majority is needed for people to comply.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by NovusHomo(m): 5:07am On Oct 28, 2012
AREA PeePou... grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Ndjones(m): 5:49am On Oct 28, 2012
He was trying to cross d express at Ikeja Along instead of using d pedestrian bridge there. Unfortunately he was knock down by a "hit and run" driver, and died at d spot.

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by geeez: 6:41am On Oct 28, 2012
Ndjones: He was trying to cross d express at Ikeja Along instead of using d pedestrian bridge there. Unfortunately he was knock down by a "hit and run" driver, and died at d spot.

Thanks for sharing this. And when law enforcement agents begin to arrest and fine those people now, some others will come here to accuse government of insensitivity. Won't this dead guy have paid or done some time in jail to save his life if he could?

For me, it's just plain stupidity crossing a highway right under a pedestrian bridge. In addition to risking their lives, these guys cause traffic gridlocks as cars slow down, thereby leading to a build up. I've experienced this a few times on Ikorodu Road.

I also think the Berger part of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway needs a pedestrian bridge and a bus stop as I see buses stop on the road and people cross in droves.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by lastpage: 9:13am On Oct 28, 2012
eledalo:

Now that's hilarious grin grin . The people stand at the side of the road while the sheep cross above! grin

Shows the Sheep value their life more!....except that those "humans" will eventually slaughter them! angry shocked shocked

Why Lagosians dont use Pedestrian Bridge?

*Dangerous (rickety in most places)!
*Criminals hide there (all those big poster is a cover-up for criminals)
*Smelly (Too much Poopoo on some)
*Some get chased by the "owner" (The crase people wey inherit the Bridge! grin )
*Not fit for purpose (Some of them are located at wrong places, you gat to trek a kilometer to get some!)
*Dem too like "short-cut"!

But please try and use them, it saves 'life'..... am a Witness!

Lastpage!

Well,
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by lukkie(m): 9:50am On Oct 28, 2012
Because their lives are worthless now. A lot of the people you see on the road aren't living - they're just existing. Otherwise, why would I abandon the foot bridge & run across cars doing 140kph?

And these same low-lives will still abuse Fashola if there were no foot bridges there.
I don't pity them when they get knocked down though. Lagos population is too high, it's an efficient way of trimming it down.

But not all Lagosians do it sha.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by ouagadougou(m): 11:34am On Oct 28, 2012
Building Zebra crossings must be rocket science. grin grin
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by eledalo: 1:30pm On Oct 28, 2012
GAR3TH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRdUMS7CAv0

lukkie: Because their lives are worthless now. A lot of the people you see on the road aren't living - they're just surviving. Otherwise, why would I abandon the foot bridge & run across cars doing 140kph?

And these same low-lives will still abuse Fashola if there were no foot bridges there.
I don't pity them when they get knocked down though. Lagos population is too high, it's an efficient way of trimming it down.

But not all Lagosians do it sha.

Just watched the vid. - An able bodied young man said the bridge is too high, while an old woman and one with a baby on her back used it.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by CuntDestroyer: 8:28pm On Oct 28, 2012
Orikinla: [size=28pt]The people in Lagos who don't use foot bridges are mostly Hausas and other RE-TAR-DED Nigerians.[/size]
f00l

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breakin News= Nigerian First Lady Flown To Germany Again : Sahara Report / Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) / Photos Of Four Different Women To ‘prove’ That Paris Attacks Were Staged

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.