Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,245 members, 7,825,942 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Exchange Server 2003 Deployment - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Exchange Server 2003 Deployment (659 Views)

MS Windows Server 2003 And 2008 Configuration, Wired And Wireless Network/pabx / Window Server 2003 R2 Product Key / Microsoft Exchange Server (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exchange Server 2003 Deployment by yemibee(m): 8:24am On Jan 28, 2008
Hi guys,

What would it take (first steps) to migrating a company's mail from a service provider to a local server running exchange server 2003.

Thanks
Re: Exchange Server 2003 Deployment by paribus(m): 9:34am On Jan 28, 2008
Depends on the level of cooperation you have with your ISP. Most times its practically non-existent. More importantly, the stress and complexity of migration depends on the amount of mailboxes involved.

On top of my head, I think the initial steps to be taken should be as follows:

1. Plan and deploy your exchange 2003 server

2. Archive users mailbox contents from the ISP into .pst files. (You can do this easily with outlook)

3. Create new mailboxes for each user on the exchange server.

4. Use exmerge to copy the contents of the archived mailboxes for each user into the newly created mailboxes on the local exchange server.

5. Change MX records for your mail domain (wherever this is being hosted) to give priority to your local exchange server. You should still leave MX record entry for the ISP mail server to ensure that mails are still queued at the ISP before you finally switch over to your local exchange server.

The importance of proper planning and deployment of exchange server cannot be underemphasised. Ensure spam filtering, security against undesired mail relays, IP address filtering etc have all been put in place before switching over to your exchange box. 

Regards

-Still havent completed the visio drawings. My exams should be over by thursday and i can give it the full attention it deserves-
Re: Exchange Server 2003 Deployment by yemibee(m): 9:15am On Jan 29, 2008
Thanks Man, Once again u are ha life saver, i do owe u one. I submitted the last drawing u gave me after making some adjustments here and there (using Smart Draw 2008) and the MD approved of them though of course i would still be working on the detailed drawings.

Thanks again, and wish u the best of luck with ur exams.

Chau
Re: Exchange Server 2003 Deployment by mmonwuba(m): 10:53am On Jan 30, 2008
After changing the Mx records, should the A records not also be changed?
Re: Exchange Server 2003 Deployment by paribus(m): 11:36pm On Jan 30, 2008
Definitely, an A record entry is needed for the new exchange server included in the mx record. Regards

(1) (Reply)

Computer Networking Job / My Vista Os Doesnt Work With My Printer / Get Grand Theft Auto Cheats(gta) For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.