Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? (5842 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / When Did The gods Start Eating Cream Crackers? / 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by netprofit(m): 11:41am On Jan 28, 2008
@ All

Please my people i want to know why islamic religeon is tagged Imole in the 80s
in the yoruba land
Imole means hard knowlegde

Please i need to be enlightened about the history of islamic religeon and how they entered
Nigeria.

I once read that africa and Nigeria was a peacefull continent/country before this islamic messangers came in with there imole(religeon) practise

And again can any man really fight for God ?
Re: Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by PastorAIO: 1:02pm On Aug 13, 2008
I thought it was Imale
Re: Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by Mustay(m): 4:45pm On Aug 13, 2008
moved to culture.
Re: Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by tpia5: 2:15am On May 30, 2011
does imole have another meaning besides that, because i just read something about african brazilian muslims being called male, or imale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal%C3%AA_Revolt

just curious.
Re: Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by tpia5: 1:40pm On May 30, 2011
Also, why does imole have at least three meanings in yoruba, albeit different intonations, and all relating to religion.

Imole also means orisa worship, or revelation.
Re: Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by tpia5: 1:40pm On May 30, 2011
Just wondering.
Re: Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by lepasharon(f): 12:25am On May 31, 2011
i thought islam was called esin mali and musilimu
Re: Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by tpia5: 5:05am On May 31, 2011
^^it's also known as imole which most people translate as hard knowledge.

however, the brazilian interpretation seems to mean malian ie religion from mali.

this is rather puzzling since there's no known connection between nigeria/yorubaland and mali that i'm aware of [human trafficking aside]. Unless there's something i dont know.

as puzzling as the yoruba word for obesiance which is juba. Juba happens to be the name of a king in ancient mauritania.

by esin mali i assume you mean esin imale.
Re: Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by TajOla: 8:53pm On Nov 13, 2022
The distortion about "esin imole" was created as far back as many centuries to blackmail the early Yoruba Muslims. History of Islam in Yorubaland showed that Islam came from Mali, courtesy of the Turkish people who brought the religion then to most parts of sub-Saharan Africa. It was common among Yoruba traders then to pronounce Mali as 'Male' (even before Islam came to Yorubaland). This is a FACT! So, when most Yoruba started converting to Islam from traditional religion, it was natural for the religion to be called "esin Male" (religion from Mali). But later, when religious rivalry started creeping in between Yoruba Christians and Muslims, 'Male' became 'imole' as a response to Muslims calling Christians 'Kiriyo'.
So, there was nothing like "esin imole". It started from "esin Male (corrupted for Mali" and further corrupted to "imole."
Re: Why Did The Yoruba People Call Islamic Religion "Imole" In The 80s ? by ajokebelle(f): 6:13pm On Nov 15, 2022
TajOla:
The distortion about "esin imole" was created as far back as many centuries to blackmail the early Yoruba Muslims. History of Islam in Yorubaland showed that Islam came from Mali, courtesy of the Turkish people who brought the religion then to most parts of sub-Saharan Africa. It was common among Yoruba traders then to pronounce Mali as 'Male' (even before Islam came to Yorubaland). This is a FACT! So, when most Yoruba started converting to Islam from traditional religion, it was natural for the religion to be called "esin Male" (religion from Mali). But later, when religious rivalry started creeping in between Yoruba Christians and Muslims, 'Male' became 'imole' as a response to Muslims calling Christians 'Kiriyo'.
So, there was nothing like "esin imole". It started from "esin Male (corrupted for Mali" and further corrupted to "imole."

Thanks for this.
Please what’s Kiriyo?

(1) (Reply)

Are Eastern Nigerians From Central Africa? / Why Do Nigerians Especially Those Abroad Hate The Nigerian Accent? / Best Wedding Pics, (urhobo Guy Vs Caribbean Model)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.