Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions (4038 Views)

David Mark Visits Agatu Community (Graphic Photos Inside) / David Mark Visits The Palace Of The Och'idoma - Photos / Senator Annie Okonkwo Dumps APC For Not Having Good Intentions For South-East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Chidi4u(m): 11:49am On Oct 29, 2012
In far away Quebec, Canada, last Monday, October 22, 2012 in his address at the 127th Inter Parliamentary Union, IPU, Assembly, Mark addressed the theme: “Citizenship, Identity, Linguistic and Cultural Diversity in a Globalised World”, with the progressive view that he would push for the replacement of “State of Origin” with “State of Residency” in the impending Constitution amendment exercise.

Said he, to journalists: “Let’s forget the business of state of origin and go to state of residence. Once you are resident in a place and you perform your civic responsibilities for the period, there is no reason why you should not benefit, provided, of course, you don’t claim dual residency”.

I call this a Zikist agenda, because Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe’s National Council of Nigerian Citizens, NCNC, right from its days under the leadership of Dr Herbert Macaulay, had dreamed of an independent Nigeria where the citizens would “forget their differences” and build a nation where everyone would be proud to belong; a model of patriotic dynamism out of Africa and a toast of the Black world. He had as associates outside the NCNC another political party in the North named the Northern Elements Progressive Union, NEPU, led by Malam Aminu Kano and his followers.

The NCNC was a truly national party, where Igbos produced elected officers in Lagos and parts of the old Western Region, and people from the Mid West and Yorubas won election in Port Harcourt. A Fulani man, Alhaji Umaru Altine, a staunch member of the Zikist Movement who went to jail in defence of zero tolerance to British colonialism, was elected the first Mayor Enugu.

Zik’s fellow travelers

But Zik’s fellow travellers in the fight against British rule did not share his dreams. When Obafemi Awolowo returned from England, his vision was to become part of a national political movement, but only if he would be allowed to control the Western Region cell of it. He eventually founded the Action Group, which had the primary mission of taking over the West and launching out to other parts. In the North, Alhaji Ahmadu Bello and his group were deeply concerned of what Zik would do with Islam and the North if he assumed leadership at independence. They hijacked the Northern Peoples Congress, NPC, an unabashed regional party. With the West and the North now in the hands of regionalists, the NCNC and its nationalist vision were thwarted and reduced to the regional fringes. Awolowo popularised the agitation for creation of states for the Minorities.

It was from these stimuli that the struggle by local elites to take control of the political space within their areas became popular. As soon as the nationalists were pushed out of political relevance, the regionalists in the Nigerian Army started as from 1967 to split Nigeria into states and local governments to give local elites the platforms for the freeloading on Nigeria’s oil wealth (the National Cake).

Born of the demon

Thus was born the demon of “state of origin”, which created the indigene/settler dichotomy among Nigerian citizens. This is the singular detractor to our national integration because a Nigerian can live all his life in a part of the country other than his place of ethnic roots and yet live like a foreigner in his own country. He will pay taxes, yet his children will not benefit from state government free education and bursary awards, which are reserved for “indigenes”. He can register and vote, but cannot be voted for. He and his family will be counted as part of the local population of his state of residency, and yet when the federal allocation that comes as a result of the population density arrives he and his family are discriminated against.

In spite of his contributions to the development of the state, he and his family are frequently harassed, displaced and often killed by mobs incited by local politicians against enterprising “settlers”.

Mark’s intentions are noble. Without giving Nigerians a sense of belonging wherever they live the country will never become a nation. It will never be united. Nigerians have been raised on a diet of ethnic and sectional dichotomies for more than 70 years. States and local governments have been established to institutionalise national disunity. We all are now tribalists and sectionalists at heart. It is in our blood. Even if Mark gets the support of his colleagues to push through the reform, it might merely exacerbate the hostility of “indigenes” against “settlers”, and local politicians might respond with more incitement to violence.

However, we commend the Senate President for standing by this nationalist agenda and hope he will not be discouraged by the odds.

1 Like

Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 29, 2012
david mark fall my hand big time with such statement.
the north were actually the fathers of ethnic and tribal politics.
i wish we can all just split up and go our ways.
smh
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by DeLaRue: 12:02pm On Oct 29, 2012
Yeye Ibo man.

Where did he say anything about your headline. So, everyone must be part of the same party (NCNC) in a multi party state? And what is wrong with Awolowo agitating for government to be brought closer to minorities?

If Awolowo agitates for the rights of the minority, you people say he's promoting ethnicity
If he canvases the interest of a majority group, you accuse him of having an ulterior motive to exterminate someone else.

Market for your fake spare parts shop is slow this morning abi?

3 Likes

Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 29, 2012
OP....Next time learn to format your post well enough to be reader-friendly.

1 Like

Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2012
DeLaRue: Yeye Ibo man.

Where did he say anything about your headline. So, everyone must be part of the same party (NCNC) in a multi party state? And what is wrong with Awolowo agitating for government to be brought closer to minorities?

If Awolowo agitates for the rights of the minority, you people say he's promoting ethnicity
If he canvases the interest of a majority group, you accuse him of having an ulterior motive to exterminate someone else.

Market for your fake spare parts shop is slow this morning abi?

you have just shown to everybody, that your parents wasted millions on you through schooling and yet you dont have common sense that even a fulani cow can boast of. David mark is an Idoma man from benue state and not an Igbo man as your delusional brain would let you think. Okpo!

1 Like

Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Katsumoto: 1:26pm On Oct 29, 2012
OP clearly lacks comprehension; where did Mark state that Awo is the father of ethnic politics?

Some of these dunces go so far to expose themselves.

Was David Mark suggesting that Nigeria should have been a one-party with the NCNC since it was the only 'nationalist' party?

Mark and his colleagues are trying to put the cart before the horse.

Let them deal with issues of fairness, equity, and justice first before venturing into areas that will lead to more violence.

Let them start with the huge robbery taking place in the NASS by way of salary and entitlements. Bunch of thieves.

3 Likes

Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by geeez: 2:08pm On Oct 29, 2012
So in the end, Lagos and Abuja will have 80% of Nigerian residents between them right? You know why
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by ayobase(m): 2:19pm On Oct 29, 2012
Before being too fast to judge David Mark, OP pls what is the correlation btw the topic and content....Im lost pls!
Because Im seeing about 70yrs ago!

1 Like

Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Chidi4u(m): 2:26pm On Oct 29, 2012
ayobase: Before being too fast to judge David Mark, OP pls what is the correlation btw the topic and content....Im lost pls!
Because Im seeing about 70yrs ago!
Make your inference from his statement.He doesn't have to be direct,remember he is the President of the Senate.He just spoke in parables hope you understand?
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by ayobase(m): 3:15pm On Oct 29, 2012
Chidi4u: ....He doesn't have to be direct.....

First of all, with his record so far, I don't think he is fit enough to address an issue like this.
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Abagworo(m): 3:29pm On Oct 29, 2012
I dey laugh o. David Mark just said the truth. The NCNC was the only National Party and was headed by an Igbo and the 1st Mayor of Enugu was an Hausa Man. Awolowo started tribalist party known as AG( Today's ACN) while his Northern brothers did same.

Everyday, Igbos keep getting vindicated.
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Desola(f): 3:31pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abagworo: I dey laugh o. David Mark just said the truth. The NCNC was the only National Party and was headed by an Igbo and the 1st Mayor of Enugu was an Hausa Man. Awolowo started tribalist party known as AG( Today's ACN) while his Northern brothers did same.

Those were the writer's words and not David Mark! Why are you people so evil?
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Chidi4u(m): 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2012
Desola:

Those were the writer's words and not David Mark! Why are you people so evil?
Pls check Vanguard Newspaper of today.It is there or you can use google.
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Katsumoto: 3:54pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abagworo: I dey laugh o. David Mark just said the truth. The NCNC was the only National Party and was headed by an Igbo and the 1st Mayor of Enugu was an Hausa Man. Awolowo started tribalist party known as AG( Today's ACN) while his Northern brothers did same.

Some of you don't try to learn and verify facts for your yourselves; you just accept whatever you are told.

In the 1959 elections to decide the first government, AG won 35 seats in the West, 5 in the mid-west, 25 in the North, 14 in the East, and 1 in Lagos.

NCNC won 58 in the East, 21 in the West, 2 in Lagos, and only 2 in the North.

If AG was a regional party, how come it won more seats outside its base in the West? Yet NPC won most of its seats in the North and NCNC won most of its seats in the East.

If we look at the origins of the NCNC, one will realize that it was a National party started by Lagos Yoruba but was turned into an Igbo party by Zik (just look at the results). The seats won in the West are as a result of the groundwork of the original members of the NCNC. The 'national' party had no showing in the North.

NCNC founding executive: Herbert macaulay - President, Azikiwe - General Secretary, Oyeshile Omage - Financial Secretary, Dr Olorun-Nimbe - Treasurer, Onojobi and Ogedengbe - Auditors, Akerele and Odunsi - Legal advicers

5 Likes

Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by ayobase(m): 3:54pm On Oct 29, 2012

So a uni-party Nation would have been better aight?
Was NCNC scared of competition.....greediness!
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Onlytruth(m): 3:57pm On Oct 29, 2012
David Mark is not saying anything new. It is a well documented history.
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Onlytruth(m): 3:58pm On Oct 29, 2012

Truth. cool
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Desola(f): 4:08pm On Oct 29, 2012
Chidi4u: Pls check Vanguard Newspaper of today.It is there or you can use google.

I did just that and even went out of my way to pin extract in full, above.

Perhaps you should be the one doing the reading and not just taking your fellow ibo man's cunning extract as gospel.
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by T9ksy(m): 4:12pm On Oct 29, 2012

David mark hasn't said anything that one doesn't already know and thus vindicates no one lest of all, the ibos.

It's common knowledge that neither awo nor the sardunna was for one nigeria except zik and his ibo people.

And no one was left in any doubt as to why the ibos wanted one nigeria- certainly not for the love they harbour for their fellow potential countrymen but GREED!
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Katsumoto: 4:29pm On Oct 29, 2012
They run their 'fingers' with the same old lies that have been handed down through generations. I don't understand how supposed MEN can engage in a public debate without facts. When presented with facts, they run like little bia.tches.

Abagworo and OnlyTruth, I dare you to present facts that support the position that Awo introduced ethnic politics in Nigeria; please do not disappoint us.
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by solomon111(m): 4:34pm On Oct 29, 2012
T9ksy:

David mark hasn't said anything that one doesn't already know and thus vindicates no one lest of all, the ibos.

It's common knowledge that neither awo nor the sardunna was for one nigeria except zik and his ibo people.

And no one was left in any doubt as to why the ibos wanted one nigeria- certainly not for the love they harbour for their fellow potential countrymen but GREED!

So they wanted 'one Nigeria' because of greed,and yet they were the only ones brave enough to seceed.
How foolish can you get?
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by 9javoice1(m): 4:38pm On Oct 29, 2012
@katsmoto,
I use to like you because of your contributions . But truth most be told

You are too tribalistic , as soon as yoruba is involve. You never accept any fault on yoruba side no mater what,
Instead you will throw in some irrelevant confusion in that discussion.

Anyway i have not seen a detribalised yorubas man than soyinka and fela .
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Katsumoto: 4:44pm On Oct 29, 2012
9ja voice: @katsmoto,
I use to like you because of your contributions . But truth most be told

You are too tribalistic , as soon as yoruba is involve. You never accept any fault on yoruba side no mater what,
Instead you will throw in some irrelevant confusion in that discussion.

Anyway i have not seen a detribalised yorubas man than soyinka and fela .

Of course the chap that provides facts in a debate is the tribalist but not the id.iots who make unguarded assertions.

If you were rational, you would have asked Mark, the OP, or Abagworo for facts to support the notion that Awo introduced ethnic politics.

If I remember correctly, you don't pay for my Internet access, so who are you to dictate what I comment on? It is my prerogative if I choose to challenge myths and lies as perpetuated by some of your brothers. At least, I don't post my opinion as fact. I can support what I post.

1 Like

Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by ACM10: 4:48pm On Oct 29, 2012
Space reserved grin
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by ayobase(m): 4:54pm On Oct 29, 2012
Are we gonna be counting 30 pages here without facts!
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by AndroBlaze: 4:54pm On Oct 29, 2012
For the educated illiterates who seem to be mainly from one part of the country these two sentences below are the only things David Mark contributed
“Let’s forget the business of state of origin and go to state of residence. Once you are resident in a place and you perform your civic responsibilities for the period, there is no reason why you should not benefit, provided, of course, you don’t claim dual residency”

The rest of the academically challenged piece was written by a Ochereome Nnanna, I'll leave u to guess which part of the country he comes from.

SCORES REMAIN

FREE EDUCATION 10
v
EMPTY IGBONESS 0
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by T9ksy(m): 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2012
solomon111: So they wanted 'one Nigeria' because of greed,and yet they were the only ones brave enough to seceed.
How foolish can you get?

So why else did the ibos want one nigeria even as the northerners were manifesting their innate hatred for them by killing them in

1945 and AGAIN in 1953? was it love or the translucent fact that the ibos believe they can exploit their deficit of skilled human resources to their

advantage. It was the fear of ibo domination of their region's socio-economic life that gave birth to the sardunna's northernisation policy.
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by ACM10: 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2012
[quote author=TRUTHTELA]Are There Nigerians to Develop Nigeria?

by

Chukwuma Charles Soludo

Nigeria is a country and its legal citizens are called Nigerians. But do we have Nigerians whose primary and total loyalty, patriotism and commitment are to Nigeria rather than to some primordial sectional, religious or ethnic groupings? Aside from the armed forces which are duty-bound to do so if necessary, how many Nigerians are prepared to lay down their lives in defence of our collective heritage - Nigeria? How many Nigerians are losing sleep about what they can do for Nigeria rather than what they can scavenge from her? In this piece, our central premise is that not many countries in the world have developed or been transformed without a strong sense of citizenship and nationalism. Put differently, we wonder how far and how fast Nigeria can develop if our constitution and legal system have created a country as a geographical space where ethnic nationalities will perpetually be in conflict over the struggle for a diminishing national cake rather than a theatre of collective destiny and opportunity.

Transformational leadership is not a one-man affair. It requires a critical mass of people who share a common vision and strategy. In the case of countries, such a critical mass of leaders often shares an undiluted commitment to the ‘nation-state’. The kind of visionary, selfless, patriotic leadership we all dream for Nigeria cannot emerge and survive in an atmosphere where loyalty lies primarily in the primordial cleavages.

Since Lord Luggard created Nigeria almost 100 years ago, our leaders have struggled with the questions of ethnic nationalities vis-a-vis the Nigerian ‘nation’. The reported exchanges among our founding fathers are instructive. It was said that Nnamdi Azikiwe, eager to forge one nation with one destiny asked Ahmadu Bello: ‘Let us forget our differences’. Ahmadu Bello was reported to have instead responded: ‘No: let us rather understand our differences’. In another case, Obafemi Awolowo was reported as saying that ‘Nigeria is a mere geographical expression’ These seemingly contradictory visions of the ‘country’ versus ‘nation’ by the founding fathers of Nigeria continue to re-echo today. The unrelenting calls for a ‘national conference’, whether ‘sovereign’ or not, is a reminder that nearly 100 years after, Luggard’s amalgamation remains a work in progress.

The various constitutions and laws of Nigeria have pursued two seemingly contradictory objectives of forging a nation-state with common citizenship on the one hand, and seeking to recognise and accommodate our “differences” through all kinds of ‘federal character’ legislations, on the other. Section 15(2) of the 1999 Constitution states that “national integration shall be actively encouraged, whilst discrimination on the grounds of place of origin, sex, religion, status, ethnic or linguistic association or ties shall be prohibited.” Furthermore, in Section 15(4), it states that “the state shall foster a feeling of belonging and of involvement among the various peoples of the Federation, to the end that loyalty to the nation shall override sectional loyalties.” These provisions are in Chapter Two of the Constitution which relate to the so-called ‘unjusticeable’ ‘Fundamental objectives and directive principles of state policy’.

In other parts of the constitution which are enforceable as well as other laws of Nigeria, the provisions create and perpetuate allegiance primarily to ethnic nationalities and states of origin. Ministers are to be appointed on the basis of states and not on the basis of interest groups (such as labour, industry, gender, disabled, etc). Recruitment into public institutions and sometimes even promotions are on the basis of a quota system based on states or ethnic nationalities. There is quota system in the army, police, civil service, admissions in universities, etc. Literally every engagement by citizens comes down to ‘what is your state of origin?’ Since citizens depend on their states of origin and ethnic cleavages to move up in life especially in the public sector, their primary loyalty is to these primordial groupings and not to Nigeria.

If all ministers represent geographical areas (their states) rather than interests, who represents Nigeria? The Federal Executive Council (FEC) looks more like the UN General Assembly than a team united as one nation with one destiny. Our belief is that in so far as geographical locations are entrenched in the constitution as basis for national engagement, the clamour for power rotation and zoning based on geography rather than competence will continue to dominate. Nigeria will continue to move in circles!

The constitution and other enactments have the effect of producing tribal or sectional citizens and not Nigerian citizenship. Our laws emphasise what separates us than what unites us. Citizenship in Nigeria is a mechanical, legal appellation and does not evoke much patriotic feelings. If the current laws persist, Nigeria will remain an assemblage of ‘nations’ with each nation struggling to grab as much as possible for its own ‘citizens’.
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by ACM10: 5:07pm On Oct 29, 2012
(continued)
Is anyone therefore surprised that under this framework, public policy is tainted by ethnic rather than national colourations? Is anyone also surprised that under this framework, continuity of public policy will remain elusive? A public official assumes office and sees the policies of previous occupants of the position as not favourable to ‘his own people’ and therefore either abandons or reverses them. That is the Nigerian story. I am not surprised that there is no national ideology, because we are not yet sure whether we are just a ‘country’ or a ‘nation’.

In Nigeria, residence means very little. Once you leave your ‘state of origin’, you remain a ‘foreigner’ or a ‘non-indigene’ even in your own country. Even if five generations of your family have lived in a place other than the original state of your forefathers, you are still a non-indigene and will be discriminated against. Let me tell a real life story. Sebastine Nwankwo was born in Kaduna, and was six months old when his parents moved to Abuja in 1985.

His primary and secondary education was in Abuja, and he attended the University of Jos. He speaks fluent Hausa, does not speak Igbo, and his parents paid their taxes in Abuja for over 25 years. When he applied for a federal employment last year, he indicated Abuja as his ‘state of origin’. He went for interview but was queried about his ‘state of origin’. The interview officer insisted that Nwankwo is an Igbo name and could not possibly have come from Abuja.

He called his father to remind him what that ‘our state of origin is’, since he couldn’t remember when last he visited Imo State—which is supposed to be his ‘state of origin’ since his parents come from there. He did not get the job. Imagine what kind of Nigerian he will become and the nature of his allegiance to Nigeria!
I know many Nigerians who have now ‘modernised’ their surnames so that no one can determine or guess their ethnic origin or state of origin. You now have such names as Angela Johnson, Jimmy Peters, Edna Jerome, etc. It is the new survival strategy.

State creation has worsened matters. In many states, the concept of ‘indigenes’ vs non-indigenes has surfaced. Civil servants hitherto recruited in the civil service before states were created were required to go back to their states of origin. Those still remaining in the employment of the ‘old’ state knew that their fate hung on the balance, and were often dismissed without notice. Non-indigenes are often employed on contract basis while permanent, pensionable positions are reserved for indigenes.

Some of us believe that the first step in creating truly Nigerian citizens is to abolish the concept of ‘state of origin’ and replace it with ‘state of residence’. We must create a new Nigeria as a melting pot where every citizen can reside anywhere and proof of residence becomes the basis for all entitlements.

Funny enough, state of origin is the basis for most public sector privileges, but when it comes to population census, no one is asked to indicate his ‘state of origin’ or even his ‘religion’. For revenue allocation, states collect money from Abuja based on the population ‘resident’ in their states. When it comes to extending privileges, employment and appointments we suddenly dust up ‘state of origin’ and discriminate between indigenes and non-indigenes. Nigeria is a country in denial!
Loyalty by citizens requires some investment by the country on her citizens. What does Nigeria offer its citizens to elicit loyalty? I recall that in my secondary school days, oil money in the 1970s was used to subsidise education at all levels. In my secondary school, we received double bunk beds.

In the university, we had free tuition and subsidised meals and accommodation. I feel a sense of indebtedness to the country. What about the generations after us? They only hear that some $600 billion have been earned from oil and wasted, and the country cannot guarantee any of the basic necessities to her citizens. For the citizens, if they survive, it is not because the state provided them any of the basic institutions and facilities that citizens of other countries take for granted but largely in spite of the state. In this survival of the fittest, what is the basis for loyalty to the ‘nation’?

A starting point is the deliberate creation of a new Nigerian citizenship with absolute loyalty to Nigeria. Only then can a critical mass of national elite, with a national ideology and strategy emerge to drive sustainable transformation of Nigeria. Page 27 of Nigeria’s Vision 2020 document provides an important first step.

It argues that “the emergence of a merit-driven culture is, therefore, a key outcome of Vision 20:2020 and an area of immediate policy focus. To this end, a comprehensive review of ethnic balancing measures and diversity management related laws (e.g. federal character) will be undertaken with a view to ensuring greater promotion of merit…” Let us get started, and constitutional amendment is

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/are-there-nigerians-to-develop-nigeria-/128999/[/quote]
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by ACM10: 5:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

Some of you don't try to learn and verify facts for your yourselves; you just accept whatever you are told.

In the 1959 elections to decide the first government, AG won 35 seats in the West, 5 in the mid-west, 25 in the North, 14 in the East, and 1 in Lagos.

NCNC won 58 in the East, 21 in the West, 2 in Lagos, and only 2 in the North.

If AG was a regional party, how come it won more seats outside its base in the West? Yet NPC won most of its seats in the North and NCNC won most of its seats in the East.

If we look at the origins of the NCNC, one will realize that it was a National party started by Lagos Yoruba but was turned into an Igbo party by Zik (just look at the results). The seats won in the West are as a result of the groundwork of the original members of the NCNC. The 'national' party had no showing in the North.

NCNC founding executive: Herbert macaulay - President, Azikiwe - General Secretary, Oyeshile Omage - Financial Secretary, Dr Olorun-Nimbe - Treasurer, Onojobi and Ogedengbe - Auditors, Akerele and Odunsi - Legal advicers
Your logic is often warped. Do you know that an individual can win election by the sheer power of his personality? Just like Chris Ngige and Tony One Week did in Anambra. Their feat did not qualify ACN as a national party. Many authors labelled AG a regional party because they pursue regional agenda.
Presently, I'm reading a book titled "How Zik Fought For The Freedom And Unity Of Nigeria" by Anikputalu Egwuonwu. I'm amazed by the extent to which Zik abandoned the Igbo agenda to pursue nationalist and pan-African agenda. It's a shame that revisionists like you are labelling Zik by implication a regionalist.. I can't believe that the very things Zik fought for are being enjoyed by the people outside his ethnic group.
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by ACM10: 5:44pm On Oct 29, 2012
[size=38pt]The reported exchanges among
our founding fathers are instructive. It
was said that

Nnamdi Azikiwe, eager to
forge one nation with one destiny asked
Ahmadu Bello: ‘Let us forget our
differences’.

Ahmadu Bello was reported
to have instead responded: ‘No: let us
rather understand our differences’.

In
another case,

Obafemi Awolowo was
reported as saying that ‘Nigeria is a mere
geographical expression’[/size]
(Prof. Chukwuma Charles Soludo)
Re: David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Katsumoto: 5:46pm On Oct 29, 2012
ACM10:
Your logic is often warped. Do you know that an individual can win election by the sheer power of his personality? Just like Chris Ngige and Tony One Week did in Anambra. Their feat did not qualify ACN as a national party. Many authors labelled AG a regional party because they pursue regional agenda.
Presently, I'm reading a book titled "How Zik Fought For The Freedom And Unity Of Nigeria" by Anikputalu Egwuonwu. I'm amazed by the extent to which Zik abandoned the Igbo agenda to pursue nationalist and pan-African agenda. It's a shame that revisionists like you are labelling Zik by implication a regionalist.. I can't believe that the very things Zik fought for are being enjoyed by the people outside his ethnic group.

STFU

If the AG was implementing regional/ethnic policies, it would not have increased its vote from 1 (1954) in the North to 25 (1959) and from 7 (1954) to 14 (1959) in the East.

It is you that has a warped logic. Look at the results and stop yarning dust as usual.

Can you tell us what these nationalist policies Zik proposed. The argument about Zik being a nationalist had nothing to do with policy but personal ambition. Agreed he wanted Nigeria at all cost but why was that? What was so attractive about Nigeria that Zik was willing to forget differences between cultures and the loss of Igbo lives in the 40s and 50s?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soyinka Endorse Jonathan / Pauline Tallen's Son Marries Princess Adaora Nomeh / Breaking Massive Pro Biafra Protesters In Switzerland Marched On Nigeria Flags

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.