Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,719 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

The Scandal Of Census Figures - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Scandal Of Census Figures (17935 Views)

Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / R-A-P-E! On Tape In Aso Rock- Jonathan Covers Up The Scandal / What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by thelastPope(m): 4:00pm On Oct 30, 2012
ochukoccna:
Ebele, the best thing to happen to Nigeria?!
Not for me but that is not so hard to see it coming from a known Ebele apologist
I've already made my thoughts known that he's a disaster of unimaginable magnitude ion other threads, so I'll let that pass
What does Buhari or Tinubu [Nasir is a hypocrite, yes!] have to do with what I wrote? embarassed embarassed
You chaps should stop having imaginary mental nightmares about them
It is well known that majority of the oil wells in ND empty their monetary value into Northern babariga pockets
Yet for the government to throw the entire country into their embrace does not show wisdom
If a government who has the apparatus of law and order shies away from tackling the cabal [no matter how entrenched] chickens away, is it the man on the street who'd tackle them? shocked shocked shocked
While the scams OBJ perpetuated as oil minister may come to light with Ribadu's report, some known exploits of the big eye balled mademoiselle wow the best pen robbers
The best thing OBJ did is the gift of the weakest president yet since independence
It will aid the unraveling of this lie called Nigeria faster cool cool

No you are the shallow one here kiss kiss
Who doesn't know that the likes of Edwin Clark and other ND elites are the brains behind the militants shocked shocked shocked
So they could not harmonize their thoughts & be specific on what they want from the Nigerian nation with their agitation? embarassed
I said it before [maybe you saw it not] and repeat it again that the ND region is VERY improvised regardless of it been the Nigerian golden hen
Non the less, the amnesty is just a big drain pipe servicing the pockets of a few
Whether they knew or not, the same manual of hold the nation hostage for political and financial patronage is what BH is following
That is why despite having the high moral ground,like Esau, they sold their birthright for a meal of porridge& made it an Ijaw affair tongue tongue
What is having the highest political positions in a country that is a lie? embarassed embarassed
Where you don't get to control your own resources which was what they made everyone believe they were fighting for? angry angry
Where the environment is hardly different from how it was before?
Is it not some select 'ex-militants' that are benefiting form the monthly payouts? grin grin
Is it not true that many 'rehabilitated' militants are back in Nigeria and roaming the streets? shocked shocked
Why is Ebele still dilly dallying about& shying from implementing the UN report on the Ogoni?
If you don't get that, what will you get?

Let me break it down a bit for you:

Nigerias problem is not corruption. How do I know? Because I will name several countries, some more corrupt than Nigeria, that are highly developed

Brazil - was more corrupt than Nigeria for a long time
Venezuela
Mexico
Hong kong
Philipines
Lybia under Ghadafi
Egypt under Mubarak
South Africa
Kuwait

These are a list of corrupt countries that were still able to develop well. It is a proof that corruption is not Nigeria's problem. Nigeria's problem is the tussle for power across the regions. It is what brings development to a halt! Most of you that were born around 1985 to the 90s have no clue but will still post your ignorance on NL. That is why I mentioned Buhari because these are the people ate the center of the plot to colonize the country. That is what he displayed when he took over in 1984! That was the agenda murtala pushed. The two key people who could have halted it where Awo and Zik. Unfortunately, they colluded. Ojukwu was a Nigerian hero but most of you don't realise it. He had his own way of doing things that were not perfect but what he stood for and fought for would have liberated this nation.
Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by TonySpike: 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
seyibrown: Where is musiwa - our satellite maps friend? He can't be missing from this thread ke? We need maps to satellite maps to butress these facts! smiley

You beat me to this...how did you know what I was thinking about?
Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by Gbawe: 4:17pm On Oct 30, 2012
Prof Corruption:

The yorubas do not hate Obasanjo for nothing. There is a reason for it. The North love him and adore him, there is a reason for that too.

Indeed. He has kicked his own in the teeth far too many times than memory can recall.
Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by dayokanu(m): 5:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
I wonder if the Niger Delta militancy would resume after GEJ leaves power.

Cos it seemed the militancy was about getting GEJ into power rather than a struggle to control their own destinies

How many Niger Deltans benefited from this GEJ regime compare to how many would have benefitted if the resource control fight was fought to a logical conclusion

GEJ presidency to the South South is more like a child crying because of high temperature due to Malaria but instead of treating the Malaria you give him candy to make him stop crying.

After the candy is finished what happens to the Malaria?

OBJ was president for 8yrs, How did that affect positively the life of the SWesterner.

Given the option of GEJ or resource control ever well meaning Nigerian should first pick resource control before any other thing

3 Likes

Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by Crayola1: 6:00pm On Oct 30, 2012
^^
So when you are on your meds you become a reasonable human being grin
Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by dayokanu(m): 6:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
Crayola1: ^^
So when you are on your meds you become a reasonable human being grin

You know I love you right?

Oya come into my room and lets talk
Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by bashr8: 6:45pm On Oct 30, 2012
dayokanu: I wonder if the Niger Delta militancy would resume after GEJ leaves power.

Cos it seemed the militancy was about getting GEJ into power rather than a struggle to control their own destinies

How many Niger Deltans benefited from this GEJ regime compare to how many would have benefitted if the resource control fight was fought to a logical conclusion

GEJ presidency to the South South is more like a child crying because of high temperature due to Malaria but instead of treating the Malaria you give him candy to make him stop crying.

After the candy is finished what happens to the Malaria?

OBJ was president for 8yrs, How did that affect positively the life of the SWesterner.

Given the option of GEJ or resource control ever well meaning Nigerian should first pick resource control before any other thing
moderators ,i think someone hacked into dayokanu acount shocked
Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by Kilode1: 7:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
Dayokanu's opinion up there is not really different from his past position on Nigeria.

The "warriors" of the Niger Delta sacrificed their struggle on the altar of GEJ's ambition... Hopefully it will pay off.

@Topic, but of course...
Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by modicum: 7:56pm On Oct 30, 2012
I have in the last couple of days taken time to study population figures in several countries in the last 100 years and the annual growth rate is mostly between 1 and 2 percent except in the Nigeria of the last 50 years. In 1911 for instance, our population was 15.9 million, ten years later in 1921 it had become 18.7 million, an increase of 2.8 million. In 1931, the figure had increased by 1.3 million to give us a population of 20 million. Instructively, all these were consistent with the global pattern. The next census took place 21 years later in 1952 by which time our population was 30.3 million people. But from that period, things changed.

With independence and its politics, the 1962 census gave us an extra population of 14.9 million people, thus pushing the threshold to 45.2 million. A year later (when another census was conducted) an extra 10.5 million Nigerians had been manufactured to give us a population of 55.7 million. Ten years later in 1973, another set of 24.1 million Nigerians had come on board to make 79.8 million. There was no census until 1991 when our population was put at 88.9 million. The census that would follow came in 2006 by which time (within a period of 15 years), another 51.1 million Nigerians had been added to the population data to make 138 million people. Four years later in 2010, eight million were added and the projection today is that we are 160 million people!

The implication is that between 1911 and 1952, our population grew from 18.7 million to 30.3 million, an increase of 62 percent in 41 years. But between 1952 and 2010, a period of 48 years, the same population grew from 30.3 million to 148 million, an increase of 388 percent! If we will be honest, population is relevant in our country only for distributing resources and for electoral manipulation. East, West, North or South, census figures are always padded. How can we sustain a system based on such transparent fraud? We need to wean our nation of the distributive politics of oil rent that is at the root of corruption in our country, including in our politics. We conduct a gubernatorial election where voters don't turn up and the president rationalises why, but when the results are released, about 75 percent of registered voters are deemed to have "voted".

1 Like

Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by folem: 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2012
Generally speaking Women in the North are having an average of 6 children as against having an average of 4 children by Women in the South.

Region TFR % of women who are pregnant*

North Central 5.7 9.4
North East 7.0 14.2
North West 6.7 16.2
South East 4.1 6.8
South South 4.6 9.0
South West 4.1 6.0

* Ages 15-49

Source: N.P.C and ORC Macro, Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey 2003 (2004)

TFR (Total Fertilty Rate) is the average number of children a woman will have during her lifetime. From the above it is clear that with the current rate of population explosion, Northern population explosion will continue unless Family Planning initiatives are introduced.

For those people doubting Kano State Population the next census will even confuse them more given the rate of reproduction in the North.

According to data from PRB's (Population Reference Bureau) 2005 World Population Data sheet, if Nigeria's North East zone were a separate country, its TFR of 7.0 would be tied for the fourth-highest in the world - behind only Niger (8.0) Guinea Bissau (7.1) and Mali (7.1). Nearly one in every six women ages 15-49 in that zone were pregnant in 2003.
Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by Nobody: 6:45am On May 11, 2013
"It is incontestable that the British not only made Nigeria, but also hand it to us whole on their surrender of power. But the Nigeria, which they handed over to us, had in it the forces of its own disintegration. It is up to contemporary Nigerian leaders to neutralize these forces, preserve the Nigerian inheritance, and make all our people free, forward-looking and prosperous. "
- Obafemi Awolowo, The Peoples' Republic, 1968.
Re: The Scandal Of Census Figures by MeAboki(m): 1:38pm On May 11, 2013
The figures may be inaccurate (exaggerated for all the regions not just north like they all rig in elections)for reasons of corruption or ineptitude; but bottom line no one can convince me that the south out populates the the north as evidenced by independent reports (such the one above in folem's post) and simple common sense i.e. rate of growth between north and south cannot be the same and remain at the same ratio unchanged from 1963 to date.

Let me also apply another common sense in the following questions to those who may wish to consider them.
1) If the south is more populous than north, then why are southerners afraid of free and fair elections based entirely on the principle of simple majority (after all politics is a game of numbers?)
2) Why are southerners happy and instigating division of the northern bloc between mb and core north?
3) Why did southerners usher in the concept of geopolitical zones?
4) Why did southerners insist on rotational presidency, why not leave it to the most popular candidate?

Yeah, if southerners are more populated then why above maneuvers of by hook or by crook to ensure the presidency reaches the south?

As for those lamenting about the loss of federalism, let them scroll the pages of history and note that a southerner in the person of Agui Ironsi abolished regional governments and introduced the Unitary system in Nigeria in 1966, in order to concentrate power to himself an favour southerners who were more advantaged to benefit from the system then - he and nobody thought things would change as they have to date.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Darius Ishiaku Wins Taraba Governorship Election / Federal High Court Rules That There Was No APC Congress In Owerri / NLC Yet To Implement Minimum Wage For Own Staff 2 Years After

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.