Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,809 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria (9435 Views)

Top 20 Most Stylish Nigerian Celebrities In 2015 [PICS] / List Of Nigerian Celebrities In Illuminati? / The World's Most Powerful Celebrities- Lady Gaga Tops The List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by pellegrini2012: 8:46pm On Oct 29, 2012
1. Chinua Achebe, 80, Nigerian, Novelist
The father of African literature authored the 1958 classic, Things Fall Apart which has been translated into over 50 languages and has sold over 10 million copies internationally. In September, Achebe made headlines when he turned down a $1million offer from American Hip-Hop act, Curtis Jackson (A.K.A 50 Cent) for permission to use the Things Fall Apart title for an upcoming movie. The renowned novelist is also an essayist, political critic and currently serves as Professor of African studies at Brown University, Rhode Island.

2. Wole Soyinka, 77, Nigerian, Playwright
In 1986 the Nigerian Playwright and author became the first African to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. Easily the most famous playwright ever to emerge from Africa, the erudite wordsmith has published over 20 plays including The Lion and the Jewel, A Dance of the Forests and The Strong Breed.

3. Femi Kuti, 49, Nigerian, Musician
The eldest son of Afrobeat legend Fela Anikulapo-Kuti has his father’s fiery blood flowing through his veins. Toured and performed extensively with his father while he was alive, but his biggest break came with his father’s death in 1999 when the Afrobeat mantle fell on him. Just like his father, Femi attempts to use his music to combat corruption, poverty, and other socio-economic issues prevalent in Nigeria and Africa through his lyrics. In 2001 he collaborated with American acts, Common, Mos Def and Jaguar Fight on his album, Fight to Win, which sold over 500,000 copies. The album is widely regarded as the most influential Neo-Afrobeat album of the 21st century.

4. Genevieve Nnaji, 32, Nigerian, Actress
Nnaji has frequently been hailed as Africa’s own answer to the likes of Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon and the rest of the feminine Hollywood stars. She started out in her acting career over 24 years ago, at the age of 8, playing a supporting role in a Nigerian TV series. Today, she is arguably Africa’s most revered actress and the poster girl for Nollywood- Nigeria’s burgeoning movie industry. The Nollywood diva has become one of Africa’s most recognizable faces, and has featured in over 80 successful Nigerian blockbusters.

5. Chimamanda Adichie, 34, Nigerian, Writer
The Nigerian-born author is arguably the most popular new-generation writer to emerge from Africa and one of the continent’s leading contemporary literary voices at the moment. In 2006, her second novel, Half of a Yellow Sun won the coveted Orange Prize.

6. Tuface Idibia, 36, Nigerian, Musician
The Nigerian-born crooner is one of Africa’s most recognizable new-generation singers. He started out his career in the mid 90s with the Plantashun boys, a defunct Nigerian boy band that achieved modest recognition in local circles but disbanded in 2004. Immediately struck out independently, finding success and international renown for hits such as ‘African Queen’ which has become one of the most popular African love songs of all time. Idibia is a recipient of several local and international awards, including the MTV Award for Best African Artist in 2005.

7. P-Square, 29, Nigerian, Musicians
The Nigerian R&B duo attained continental superstardom with romance-laced lyrics and Michael Jackson-styled dance moves. The identical twin brothers released their 5th studio album, “The Invasion” in July this year to critical acclaim. The album reportedly went platinum within eight weeks. Their 2009 album, Danger, has sold close to nine million copies worldwide. The music video for their hit song, “No one like you” has been viewed over 10 million times on YouTube- a top record for any Nigerian artist.

8. Don Jazzy, 30, Nigerian, Music Producer
Africa’s Number 1 beat maker heads the phenomenal Nigerian record label, Mo’ Hits which is home to successful Nigerians artists like D’Banj and Wande Coal. The venerable music producer and occasional singer is also the undisputed King of Social media in Nigeria. Boasts over 130,000 followers on Twitter. Earlier this year, he signed on to Kanye West’s GOOD Music record label along with his protégé, D’Banj. Jazzy also earned production credits for his work on Kanye West and Jay-Z’s collaborative album- Watch The Throne.

9. D’Banj, 31, Nigerian, Musician
Don Jazzy’s protégé is one of Africa’s most recognizable new generation artistes. Has sold over 3 million albums worldwide over the last six years and signed a record deal with Kanye West’s GOOD Music earlier this year. The Nigerian crooner and Harmonica player is also one of the savviest entrepreneurs in Africa’s music industry; has stamped his now famous ‘Koko’ brand name unto everything from mobile phones, an entertainment lounge, bottled water and even Garri (a Nigerian staple meal made of processed cassava).

10. Neka, 31, Nigerian, Musician
The Nigerian-German soul musician has become one of Africa’s more popular international singers. Contents of her lyrics dwell majorly on about poverty, war and related social ills. First came into the limelight in 2004 after performing as an opening act for Jamaican Reggae act, Sean Paul during a concert in Germany. Appeared on the David Letterman show in January 2010, and has collaborated with American Hip-Hop act, Nas, for a remix of her internationally acclaimed hit single- Heartbeat. Nneka is a brand ambassador for Nigerian Telecoms Company, Starcomms.

11. Asa, 29, Nigerian, Musician
Real name: Bukola Elemide. The Nigerian singer-songwriter is one of the most popular new-generation artists to emerge from Africa. She released her sophomore album, ‘Beautiful Imperfection’ last year to immense critical acclaim. The Paris-based artist is renowned for her fusion of contemporary Jazz sound, pop and reggae with traditional Yoruba melodies.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehed45mef/patricia-amira-33-kenyan-tv-personality/

http://www.rosemarynkblog.com/the-11-most-powerful-celebrities-in-nigeria/

Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by DukeNija(m): 9:26pm On Oct 29, 2012
Femi Kuti remains Nigeria's number one entertainment Celebrity.
I was shocked when I saw his profile.
His voice was used in the Video game 'Grand-Theft-Auto'.

But I expected Chimamanda to be higher in the strata.

Achebe is Still the Greatest African Novelist Ever.

A Nigerian Man rejected a Million Dollars for the Use of his Book in a movie??
Now that Speaks Volume about Value.
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by lagcity(m): 11:10pm On Oct 29, 2012
Achebe is not really Nigerian. Call him Igbo, call him African. Nigerian he is not. Ask him, he won't deny it.
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 30, 2012
*writes any comment just incase you make the frontpage , which i know you would do grin*

1 Like

Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:39am On Oct 30, 2012
jammyng: *writes any comment just incase you make the frontpage , which i know you would do grin*

how old are you? 12? undecided
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 2:43am On Oct 30, 2012
The list is okay.
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by BelG(m): 9:15am On Oct 30, 2012
Uncle SOYINKA and ACHEBE will always make d list coz they are icons of d blue coloure.
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by odumdesmond: 10:03am On Oct 30, 2012
angry why would these Forbe guys omit my name, I suspect foul here, seriously!!!!
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by slimyem: 10:17am On Oct 30, 2012
List is on point!
I'm joining the list soon though...cheesy
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by yuzedo: 10:41am On Oct 30, 2012
Taking my front-row seat for the impending fireworks on account of Achebe preceding Soyinka in the ranking..... grin
I bet my middle nut that a lot of comments are going to get hidden very soon! tongue
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by Kemy11(m): 11:12am On Oct 30, 2012
Only musicians and literary icons. where are our politicians. Hahahahahahaahaha but i wan make money like politicians no skin pain
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 30, 2012
joeydozzy:

how old are you? 12? undecided
old bald-HEADED man, must i tell you?
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by Isaactop9(m): 2:07am On Oct 31, 2012
grin why is tonto dikeh(her songs shake 9ja), abu kaka, aluu4, yakubu, abdul mutallab, elrufai, ibori, akpors not in d least, these are powerful celebrities grin
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by RickyRoss1(m): 4:59am On Oct 31, 2012
yuzedo: Taking my front-row seat for the impending fireworks on account of Achebe preceding Soyinka in the ranking..... grin
I bet my middle nut that a lot of comments are going to get hidden very soon! tongue

So true, but our negative comments and sheer stupidity will not change the facts
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by FrankC3: 8:38am On Oct 31, 2012
Duke_Nija: Femi Kuti remains Nigeria's number one entertainment Celebrity.
I was shocked when I saw his profile.
His voice was used in the Video game 'Grand-Theft-Auto'.

But I expected Chimamanda to be higher in the strata.

Achebe is Still the Greatest African Novelist Ever.

A Nigerian Man rejected a Million Dollars for the Use of his Book in a movie??
Now that Speaks Volume about Value.
Not really the book plot or storyline...just a random three work clause first stringed together and 'patented'- Things Fall Apart- for 1million USD. That guy have my respect anyday, though it is not worth much considering the profile of the man in question.
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 8:41am On Oct 31, 2012
No inventors, engineers? Iceberg Slim nko?
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by akintun: 11:06am On Nov 01, 2012
No doctors, lawyers or engineers. D list is definitely not a Forbes official list. It would have been written by one of their African contributors. Anyone can be Forbes contributor and start to post rubbish.
Re: FORBES: The 11 Most Powerful Celebrities In Nigeria by damilolaandrew: 1:38pm On Nov 14, 2014
nice list.. Am adding to the list Nigeria most renown painting artist Ayeola Ayodeji Abiodun.
This artist is rated best portrait artist in Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qocE1JY297g

(1) (Reply)

Thread For Money Discussions and Updates / Omotola Scared Of Revealing Her Private Life In TV Reality Show / What Is The Meaning Of Slay Queen ?(pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.