Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,215 members, 7,953,796 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:43 AM

What Is Ur Take On The Culture On Right And Left Hand - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Ur Take On The Culture On Right And Left Hand (660 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / The Culture Lounge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Ur Take On The Culture On Right And Left Hand by MCDumexx: 6:34pm On Oct 31, 2012
It is a common norm in Nigeria that one should respect elders no matter the side of the offense one is on. In achieving this, many aspects are check mated so that one is not found wanting. Of course in the doings of man, the gift of both hands(right and left) are simultaneously involved; working together sometimes independently all to achieve a set gaol.
It is however common in our societies today that, when it comes to passing/given money, plate, phone, pen, paper, pot; any item at all to someone and mostly the elderly, the right hand should be used in doing so. And if you perform homo task using the left hand, you get punished or rebuked some how. Leaning on this, my plight then is:

- Who made the right hand a must use in passing/given any item to anybody, be it from a lad to a lad or from young to old and vice versa?

- Why is it termed "Disrespectful" when the left hand is used to perform the mentioned task?

It is my understanding that people who are right handed have the left part of brain orchestrating their doings and the right part of the brain, orchestrating that of those left handed.(Dunno how true this is but I hope the scientist will have their say on this).

If the above statement is correct, should we now blame the orchestra (God) for his endowments? Should you not spare the rod because a child gave U̶̲̥̅̊ an item with the simplest humility of intent using the left hand? Or because it is "Our Culture", we should forcefully change a perfected way of handling things to suit our right-hand culture?

Reading between the lines you will discern that I am saying it doesn't matter which hand is used to pass an item across hence people who force the use of the right-hand refrain from such act. One may say "it is in our culture and may be hard to start talking of change now". Well, it was also in our culture to kill twins in the early days and that was abolished and a new way of life was/is embraced.

Anyways, I guess that's ђã†̥ makes us Nigerians. We try to mole a child to be conscious of right hand doings even if s/he is left-handed so as to be Independent of choice and full of hand using dexterity when fully grown.

So, does it matter if a right-hand or left-hand is used to pass an item to you?

(1) (Reply)

Prahlad 82 ,the Man Who Has Lived Without Water Or Food For D Past 70 Years / MBGN: How Miss Anna Ebierie Banner Won / The gods Has Gone Bananas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.