Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

How Many Children Is Too Much? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Many Children Is Too Much? (3236 Views)

What Number Of Children Is Advisable For Average Nigerian Couples / Considering Nigeria's Economy, How Many Children Are Ideal For A Family? / How Many Children Will You Love To Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Children Is Too Much? by Obinnau(m): 9:41am On Nov 01, 2012
This issue have been on my mind lately and i decided to bring it to NL for analysis. I have noticed d way people put more interest in begetting children at times up to a whopping 8-9 children and it bothers me ; how much is to much and how much is average? I believe that when parents begets too many children it gives rise to overpopulation, stretching of the nation's resources and more over I believe it leads to poverty which may give rise to children learning social vices. So i give it over to u my peeps. Pls do justice to this issue since it will help to better our country. How many is normal? And how many is too much? As for me i believe that once God gives me 3 am ok highest 4. Pls Mukina abeg place am 4 front page for more comments since it is a national problem.
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Emmyk(m): 9:51am On Nov 01, 2012
well well well, we are five in my house. I think that's the perfect figure. TOO MUCH STARTS FROM HALF A DOZEN!!!!
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Obinnau(m): 9:56am On Nov 01, 2012
^ maybe.
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Afam4eva(m): 10:45am On Nov 01, 2012
It depends on how many you can take care of. If you have the means to cater for 20 children then go ahead.
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Obinnau(m): 11:08am On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva: It depends on how many you can take care of. If you have the means to cater for 20 children then go ahead.
and then if in the future a thing or two happens and u were not able to cater 4 them, then what will happen then? Bringing innocent souls into the world to suffer?
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by slimyem: 11:32am On Nov 01, 2012
loling@put it on front page cuz its a national problem..
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by EfemenaXY: 11:40am On Nov 01, 2012
Obinnau: This issue have been on my mind lately and i decided to bring it to NL for analysis. I have noticed d way people put more interest in begetting children at times up to a whopping 8-9 children and it bothers me ; how much is to much and how much is average? I believe that when parents begets too many children it gives rise to overpopulation, stretching of the nation's resources and more over I believe it leads to poverty which may give rise to children learning social vices. So i give it over to u my peeps. Pls do justice to this issue since it will help to better our country. How many is normal? And how many is too much? As for me i believe that once God gives me 3 am ok highest 4. Pls Mukina abeg place am 4 front page for more comments since it is a national problem.

You can't really give a number here. It really depends on the couple and how many kids they feel they can comfortably cater for.

A couple might have the means to adequately cater for say 5 kids, but in reality may only want 2. On the other hand, you might have your millionaire that's satisfied with just one child.

So, it's really a matter of choice. With regards to those having more kids than the means to support and give them a decent standard of living, I think this is where education on family planning and birth control comes in to play.
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva: It depends on how many you can take care of. If you have the means to cater for 20 children then go ahead.

seconded!!!

Obinnau: and then if in the future a thing or two happens and u were not able to cater 4 them, then what will happen then? Bringing innocent souls into the world to suffer?

first of all if you think in such manner then you should NEVER have kids, period. second such "accident" could happen to anyone, even the one who only have 2 kids...and the same way you will solve the problem with two bambinos, is the same way you will solve the issue with 20.
the only ones who brings "poor souls" into this world to suffer are parents who want to have children when they know from the get go that they cant feed/cater for them.

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by MissIfe(f): 11:55am On Nov 01, 2012
It also depends on what you mean by "have the means to cater for them". In my own case, I think being able to feed them, clothe them and send them to school is the basic but not enough, I also want to be able to see them through university, help them get their first car, do extra-curricular activities etc. All of this is not compulsory but you have to sit down and seriously think about what you want to offer your kids for their future. When they are small, it seems easy to manage but the real expenses come up later...
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Obinnau(m): 1:02pm On Nov 01, 2012
Miss_Ife: It also depends on what you mean by "have the means to cater for them". In my own case, I think being able to feed them, clothe them and send them to school is the basic but not enough, I also want to be able to see them through university, help them get their first car, do extra-curricular activities etc. All of this is not compulsory but you have to sit down and seriously think about what you want to offer your kids for their future. When they are small, it seems easy to manage but the real expenses come up later...
now dats wat i mean!
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by tonym1(m): 4:28pm On Nov 01, 2012
WE ARE 6 IN OUR FAMILY AND MY PARENTS CAN AFFORD IT, BUT PREFERABLY I BELIEVE TWO IS ENOUGH.

ALL THIS DEPENDS ON IF CAN AFFORD THEM
grin

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by greatgod2012(f): 4:35am On Nov 02, 2012
One should give birth to d number of children he/she can adequately and single-handedly cater for. I dont subscribe to, "because my wife/hubby is there, so we can have 8 or more", what if something unplanned 4 happens to either of d couple, we shd always have this in mind, d number of children one can single-handedly cater 4 is ok, any number beyond dt is too much!

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by k2039: 7:07am On Nov 02, 2012
Personaly for me,their is no limit,it's how far your money can go.
I'm planning towards 12 kids
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Nobody: 7:28am On Nov 02, 2012

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Olodo1: 7:53am On Nov 02, 2012
Na God de give children. Children are gift from God. Give birth to many as you can.

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by greatgod2012(f): 8:10am On Nov 02, 2012
k2039: Personaly for me,their is no limit,it's how far your money can go.
I'm planning towards 12 kids

how many women will born 12 children 4 u? Answer me, pls.
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by k2039: 9:11am On Nov 02, 2012
greatgod2012:

Just one wife.
she will probably go to the labor room 4times.
1st:Twins
2nd:Quadruplets
3rd:Twins
4th:Quadruplets

I love kids a lot,so the number of kids will still be subject to debate between my spouse,we may have to adopt to make up for the deficit.

To answer your question,ofcourse just a single wife(God help me)
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by MrsChima(f): 9:28am On Nov 02, 2012
2.5 is normal.
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by greatgod2012(f): 9:42am On Nov 02, 2012
k2039:

Just one wife.
she will probably go to the labor room 4times.
1st:Twins
2nd:Quadruplets
3rd:Twins
4th:Quadruplets

I love kids a lot,so the number of kids will still be subject to debate between my spouse,we may have to adopt to make up for the deficit.

To answer your question,ofcourse just a single wife(God help me)

may God help u!
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by k2039: 12:07pm On Nov 02, 2012
greatgod2012:

may God help u!

Amen
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 02, 2012
'Affording' to take care of them is not the issue. The issue is population explosion. They become a liability in a country like ours where amenities are very few, unemployment becomes a problem leading to more crime. The GDP per capital is what matters-standard of living of the people. Fewer people in a developing country means more money to go round. Less strain on our deplorable power, water and road systems.
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by EfemenaXY: 2:42pm On Nov 02, 2012
Aqva: 'Affording' to take care of them is not the issue. The issue is population explosion. They become a liability in a country like ours where amenities are very few, unemployment becomes a problem leading to more crime. The GDP per capital is what matters-standard of living of the people. Fewer people in a developing country means more money to go round. Less strain on our deplorable power, water and road systems.

Do you really believe the bolded bit? That it applies to a "wealthy" country like Nigeria, "blessed" with abundant natural resources??

Go round whom? The masses or the corrupt leaders?

Who loots and stashes away billions of Naira? The masses?

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by baby124: 3:28pm On Nov 02, 2012
I don't know, we were 6. And we used to look like 1million because all our family friends, aunties and uncles didn't have more than 3. cry embarassed. Imagine travelling with 6kids. . All our friends used to enjoy vacations around the world. cry. We had a good life though kiss

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Obinnau(m): 11:13am On Oct 22, 2013
Lol
greatgod2012:

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by lertee(f): 11:18am On Oct 22, 2013
No amount is too much,children re blessings from God and we don't have to deny them life.
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 22, 2013
Any that you cannot afford.
Plain and simple.

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 22, 2013
lertee: No amount is too much,children re blessings from God and we don't have to deny them life.

True.
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by ireneidiva(f): 4:01pm On Oct 22, 2013
In this age and time, even if you are Bill Gates, more than 3 kids is too much! The lesser you have, the higher their quality of life will be. Women, how many maternity leaves do you want to get? undecided

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Obinnau(m): 5:13pm On Oct 22, 2013
ireneidiva: In this age and time, even if you are Bill Gates, more than 3 kids is too much! The lesser you have, the higher their quality of life will be. Women, how many maternity leaves do you want to get? undecided
I love this.

1 Like

Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 22, 2013
chaircover: A lot of people think that its just about being able to afford to look after the kids that matters. Its not. Its to do with time amongst other things as well. If you are too busy out there making money to send the kids to school, when exactly do you have time to be there for them.

There are hundreds of good things that the kids wont learn in school and there are hundreds of wrong things that they will learn in school from their peers that you are going to as a parent lead them on the right path. We were talking about self esteem the other day . . .how much time do you have to sit with your daughter and talk to her about her day, her fears, her life, her dreams? How much time do you have with your son to show him how to be a man?

How much fun time do you have together? How many holidays do you go on together as a family. IMO if your family cannot fit into one family car and at most a people carrier, then you have too many children cos that means that you all cant go places together as a family. . . .but you fit buy mini bus sha grin

Seriously, patenting does not stop at having enough money in the bank to send your child to Havard. Once you have the money in the bank you have only just started to be a parent.

Best contribution. Thank you!
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by Nobody: 12:54am On Oct 23, 2013
Re: How Many Children Is Too Much? by SalC: 5:10am On Oct 23, 2013
It depends, but not above 4

(1) (Reply)

Bride Mistakenly Had Sex With Groomsman - He Didn't Resist / Which Is The Best Lotion For Kids? / Nairalander Pls Help Me I Want To Kill My Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.