Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,144 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? (1266 Views)

Spirit Fire Consumes Sokoto, Takes 43 Lives, Destroys N50m Worth Of Property / MY PROPOSAL: How To Become Successful Like DANGOTE / What It Takes To Establish A Bureau De Change(experts Only, No Clowning.thanks!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Wallie(m): 7:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
Many people seem to think that they have what it takes to run a successful business if only they have the capital but I think otherwise! I believe most people will simply squander the money away one way or another.

Here’s a simple proposal to see if you can outline a credible plan to repay a loan on time with interest.

You have a choice between getting a loan for $1,000,000 @ 7% OR $100k @ 8% for 5 years.

The rules are very simple:

1. You have to make a payment on the first of every month for 5 years (re-payment term).

2. Failure to make any payment will result in your extremities being cut off at a joint. For example, if you miss the first payment, your wrist will be cut off, then followed by your elbow, shoulder, ankle, knee, hip, etc until you have no limbs left.

3. If you got the $1M loan, you will pay NGN 3.1 million ($19,801.20) every 1st of the month for 5 years.

4. If you got the $100k loan, you will pay NGN 317,427 ($2027.64) every 1st of the month for 5 years.

You obviously cannot just sit on the money because you will owe more than the principal and more importantly, the loan is an opportunity to set you up for life.

Let’s see your credible money making proposal!
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by sholatech(m): 9:27pm On Nov 01, 2012
Is this just an exercise to guide us, or an opportunity exist to obtain $1m facility for five years?
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by kchaste(m): 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2012
With $1m loan i will go into pig farming and with that i can pay back but not the amount you stated monthly

1 Like

Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by legalwealth(m): 10:54pm On Nov 01, 2012
Wallie: Many people seem to think that they have what it takes to run a successful business if only they have the capital but I think otherwise! I believe most people will simply squander the money away one way or another.

Here’s a simple proposal to see if you can outline a credible plan to repay a loan on time with interest.

You have a choice between getting a loan for $1,000,000 @ 7% OR $100k @ 8% for 5 years.

1. You have to make a payment on the first of every month for 5 years (re-payment term).

2. Failure to make any payment will result in your extremities being cut off at a joint. For example, if you miss the first payment, your wrist will be cut off, then followed by your elbow, shoulder, ankle, knee, hip, etc until you have no limbs left.

3. If you got the $1M loan, you will pay NGN 3.1 million ($19,801.20) every 1st of the month for 5 years.

4. If you got the $100k loan, you will pay NGN 317,427 ($2027.64) every 1st of the month for 5 years.

You obviously cannot just sit on the money because you will owe more than the principal and more importantly, the loan is an opportunity to set you up for life.

Let's talk in Naira term as $ term is a bit odd for such amount you are mentioning and your monthly return is kinda much.
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by ArdyssNigeria(m): 10:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
Who still takes loans in this age and time when one can create an environment for money to keep flowing in...follow the link on my signature fellas
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Wallie(m): 1:42pm On Nov 02, 2012
legalwealth:

Let's talk in Naira term as $ term is a bit odd for such amount you are mentioning and your monthly return is kinda much.

If you get a loan for NGN 156 million you will need to make a payment of NGN 3.1 million per month for 5 years.
If you get a loan for NGN 15.5 million you will need to make a payment of NGN 317,427 per month for 5 years.

What do you mean the monthly return is a bit much? If you borrow a lot of money, you will need to pay a lot of money back...
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by AjanleKoko: 1:57pm On Nov 02, 2012
I assume the interest rates are compounded.

The first thing I would consider before signing up is, I must be able to meet the monthly repayments, regardless of whether the business is generating returns or not. So I will probably set aside a portion of the loan to cover up to a year's payments.

Then I would lay out my investment strategy, and build a portfolio for short-term, medium-term, and long-term returns. For short term, I even stick some money in T-Bills, commercial papers, bonds, or some financial instruments that have low risk, can be turned over, and can generate some return, enough to sustain interest payment. Even big corporations in Nigeria who have received loans or grants from offshore institutions do that.

Next thing would be to make the medium-to-long term play. Invest in a business that will require some infrastructure buildout, and is guaranteed to pay out over the long haul. While the short term covers my azz (literally speaking, and the rest of my limbs grin), I can devote my energy to building and growing the long-term play.

Bottom line, the roadmap is like this:

Step 1: Set aside a portion of the loan, to cover immediate liabilities, like the loan repayment.
Step 2: Enter the money market to generate some quick return, and also to augment step 1.
Step 3: Invest in a long-term venture that will hold enough assets and cash-generating ability for the medium to long term.

I'd definitely go for the $1m. Since Wallie has provided details of interest payment, and assuming it is straight-line payments as opposed to reducing-balance.

So I will set aside N37.2m (N3.1m X 12) to keep the away for a year. leaving around N129m.
Then I could invest maybe N25m in commercial papers, T-bills, or other short-term instruments. A good balance between risk and return might fetch me something like 12-15% return% over the course of the year (conservatively speaking). Not great, but at least I can stay with my limbs for a few more months.

Then I focus my attention on making the big play. Which would be investing in a number of high-income and low-overhead ventures. That would be my play for the long term. If I at least acquire some valuable assets here, such as land and property, I can always sell them if push comes to shove, and use the returns to offset my loan. Roughly, that's what I would do.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Wallie(m): 3:16pm On Nov 02, 2012
AjanleKoko: I assume the interest rates are compounded.

The first thing I would consider before signing up is, I must be able to meet the monthly repayments, regardless of whether the business is generating returns or not. So I will probably set aside a portion of the loan to cover up to a year's payments.

Then I would lay out my investment strategy, and build a portfolio for short-term, medium-term, and long-term returns. For short term, I even stick some money in T-Bills, commercial papers, bonds, or some financial instruments that have low risk, can be turned over, and can generate some return, enough to sustain interest payment. Even big corporations in Nigeria who have received loans or grants from offshore institutions do that.

Next thing would be to make the medium-to-long term play. Invest in a business that will require some infrastructure buildout, and is guaranteed to pay out over the long haul. While the short term covers my azz (literally speaking, and the rest of my limbs grin), I can devote my energy to building and growing the long-term play.

Bottom line, the roadmap is like this:

Step 1: Set aside a portion of the loan, to cover immediate liabilities, like the loan repayment.
Step 2: Enter the money market to generate some quick return, and also to augment step 1.
Step 3: Invest in a long-term venture that will hold enough assets and cash-generating ability for the medium to long term.

I'd definitely go for the $1m. Since Wallie has provided details of interest payment, and assuming it is straight-line payments as opposed to reducing-balance.

So I will set aside N37.2m (N3.1m X 12) to keep the away for a year. leaving around N129m.
Then I could invest maybe N25m in commercial papers, T-bills, or other short-term instruments. A good balance between risk and return might fetch me something like 12-15% return% over the course of the year (conservatively speaking). Not great, but at least I can stay with my limbs for a few more months.

Then I focus my attention on making the big play. Which would be investing in a number of high-income and low-overhead ventures. That would be my play for the long term. If I at least acquire some valuable assets here, such as land and property, I can always sell them if push comes to shove, and use the returns to offset my loan. Roughly, that's what I would do.

Nice!!! People should take note that you didn’t even think about buying the latest Benz or a personal house in Lekki! My goal of the post is to show that very few people will know what to do with the money and be able to repay it or double it!

There's a reason why those who come into sudden wealth by inheritance, looting, or lottery will have little or nothing to show for it in about 10 years! How many formerly “rich” Nigerians do we know that used to be very wealthy at some point? How many rich kids are able to multiply their inheritance?

Most of the people with sustained wealth are those that made their money 1 Naira at a time!

Bottom line: Nothing beats experience and the only way to get experience is by going through it yourself or paying someone that has it!
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by AjanleKoko: 3:27pm On Nov 02, 2012
Another safe way is just simply acquire fast-growing assets.
After setting aside the one-year loan-repayment, I could also invest about N100m into property. Not the bubble kind or top end of the market. Just a number of tracts or developments that I can quickly dispose of, if push comes to shove. I'd keep N29m as a contingency.

Over two years, sometimes property can return a 300% on the original investment in Lagos. I once enquired about tracts of land in a suburb of Lekki a couple of years back. Land that went for N7m in 2003 were going for N27m at the end of 2011, and are going for about N60m today!!! Imagine, if I had sunk capital in that, I would be 120% to the good in less than a year. Pay off the bank and then execute my real strategy.

That's how real business is done.

There is always a risk when it comes to money-making. There is no real way to avoid risk. In fact, if you try to minimize risk, you also minimize your return, truth be told. Just be aware of the risk and work with it.
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Wallie(m): 3:58pm On Nov 02, 2012
Life is about balancing risks but one can’t just take risks blindly especially if the consequences can be disastrous like cutting off one’s joints. grin Investing in anything can be really dangerous if one does not understand the market!

For example, people always see property as a very safe bet but that's not always true! There are so many people that bought houses, lands, etc that are now running from their loan manager! Imagine buying a commercial property in an area that got re-zoned or along that Mile 2 road that got widened? I saw an Eleganza building that got chopped in halve. The failure might not even be one’s fault! Mother Nature might just decide to flood ones property or set it on fire!

How many people personally went broke or soiled their impeccable reputation on that Tinapa project?

Eko Atlantic will cost billions of dollars but there's a major risk that they may not get the cash flow that they need on time due to the economic climate or the investments might not even pan out due to environmental factors. Of course, they might also be sitting on a gold mine which is why they are sinking billions into it but one thing you can be rest assured, the major investors fully understand the risk involved in such a project.

Risk is good but calculated risk is better!
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by AjanleKoko: 4:33pm On Nov 02, 2012
Wallie: Life is about balancing risks but one can’t just take risks blindly especially if the consequences can be disastrous like cutting off one’s joints. grin Investing in anything can be really dangerous if one does not understand the market!

For example, people always see property as a very safe bet but that's not always true! There are so many people that bought houses, lands, etc that are now running from their loan manager! Imagine buying a commercial property in an area that got re-zoned or along that Mile 2 road that got widened? I saw an Eleganza building that got chopped in halve. The failure might not even be one’s fault! Mother Nature might just decide to flood ones property or set it on fire!

How many people personally went broke or soiled their impeccable reputation on that Tinapa project?

Eko Atlantic will cost billions of dollars but there's a major risk that they may not get the cash flow that they need on time due to the economic climate or the investments might not even pan out due to environmental factors. Of course, they might also be sitting on a gold mine which is why they are sinking billions into it but one thing you can be rest assured, the major investors fully understand the risk involved in such a project.

Risk is good but calculated risk is better!

I think we're saying the same thing.
There is always risk, we both agree. We also agree there is a need to understand the nature of risk and calculate the impact plus extent of damage it can cause if realized. However, you still need to do business regardless.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Wallie(m): 5:13pm On Nov 02, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I think we're saying the same thing.
There is always risk, we both agree. We also agree there is a need to understand the nature of risk and calculate the impact plus extent of damage it can cause if realized. However, you still need to do business regardless.

Agreed! Same reason why foreigners still do business in Nigeria even though the risk is relatively high.
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by legalwealth(m): 2:08am On Nov 03, 2012
Anywhich,it seems that OP just created this thread for fun or for research but there are lots of serious people in here.

I have a proposal for anyone interested in here and it goes:
Category 1;
Invest N500,000 anytime as soon as possible now into my newly registered business name with CAC with name
PRESEGS Infotech GlobalBiz MultiConcepts
and start getting paid N50,000 Monthly starting from January to December irrespective of moderate commission that you want to be paid which will be paid by January 2014.

Category 2;
Invest N1,000000 anytime as soon as possible now into my newly registered business name with CAC with name
PRESEGS Infotech GlobalBiz MultiConcepts
and start getting paid N100,000 Monthly starting from January to December irrespective of moderate commission that you want to be paid which will be paid by January 2014.

If you are interested or for more information about this deal though it will be legally documented by the joint handwork of your lawyer and mine but no collateral other than legal agreement and the person in question must be a God-fearing personality as I do,kindly contact me on
0 8 0 9 1 8 3 3 8 6 6 or check my signature to check me out on my simple webpage.

Thanks as I await your prompt response.
Yours Faithfully.
Prince Adesida Oluwasegun known online as Presegs.
My webpage:legal wealth creation . com
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by bigx(m): 6:25am On Nov 03, 2012
I love this thread! Now all the "I would have started something but no capital" excuse givers have disappeared.
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by legalwealth(m): 9:09am On Nov 03, 2012
bigx: I love this thread! Now all the "I would have started something but no capital" excuse givers have disappeared.

as in?
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by NSNA: 11:23pm On Dec 13, 2012
Invest 1m and get 50,000 monthly for 2 years. info@topupuk.co.uk

Top up Networks LTD UK registered Company.
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by andico34: 5:26am On Dec 14, 2012
this is a very good topic. more kudos to you wallie. the key to success in using opm is on how fast is your plan and on how liquid is your investment. i dont consider real estate investments liquid as many will agree and wil not work well with this proposal. from the funds i wil reserve a one year repayment. i wil trade in gold with what is left. gold investments are very liquid. i talked about it in a thread i opened
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by ShinaBalogun: 1:02pm On Dec 14, 2012
Ok. I will take $1 million and do the following:
1. Incorporate a private equity fund management company with C.A.C
2. Recruit 2 staff with minimum experience in investment banking, venture capital and business turnaround to run the company
3. Float a $10 million private equity fund that will invest in Nigerian SMEs with financial challenges and huge potentials for growth if strategically managed and funded.
4. The fund will deliver 20% returns on investment to its investors per annum.
5. The fund will conveniently repay back the original $1 million and interest as at when due.

Thanks for the opportunity Wallie.
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by AjanleKoko: 1:04pm On Dec 14, 2012
Shina Balogun: Ok. I will take $1 million and do the following:
2. Recruit 2 staff with minimum experience in investment banking, venture capital and business turnaround to run the company
3. Float a $10 million private equity fund that will invest in Nigerian SMEs with financial challenges and huge potentials for growth if strategically managed and funded.
5. The fund will conveniently repay back the original $1 million and interest as at when due.

By the time you are done with CAC and hired your staff, you'd have lost half of your body parts before you even start business.
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Mcleo007(m): 1:52pm On Dec 14, 2012
I know what to do with that amount of money.
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Wallie(m): 9:24pm On Dec 18, 2012
Shina Balogun: Ok. I will take $1 million and do the following:

Nice first attempt BUT…
1. How do you intend to get partners to fund $10 million fund somewhat long term or are you thinking LBO? If LBO, which bank will lend you $9 million to invest in unknown companies?
2. 20% ROI sounds very good on paper but can you name 3-5 SMEs that will deliver such return?

1 Like

Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 18, 2012
Rubbish talk that leads nowhere.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Dec 18, 2012
yez......but i wld try to get a loan of $3.5mill......an wld used this to buy a used oil tanker vessel straight into the oil sector.the $1mill is enough to buy a passenger vessel which can earn u a annual profit of N77mill in nigeria,asides the cost of maintainance,salaries etc
2}buy and existing gas sation having c-store/car wash all together
3}pray for ur bizness to succeed
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by pierrechristo: 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
I will hit with smiles and "thank you" will invest it on exportation of maltina, amstel malt, malta guiness to Gabon and importation of veholen lubricants. Will as well invest in oil and gas sector. Will pay u back ur money within 2yrs.
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 23, 2012
How do I forward my business plan on filming cus I am much interested in this loan facility? Email me on- vision2017@yahoo.com or call me on - 08162655771
Re: Do You Have What It Takes To Become Successful If Given $1M Loan? by gnachu2: 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2012
Wallie: Many people seem to think that they have what it takes to run a successful business if only they have the capital but I think otherwise! I believe most people will simply squander the money away one way or another.

Why cut human parts? Where is the money? Forex trading can generate the returns you want. Ask the gurus to verify.

(1) (Reply)

Re: Biz Opportunity For Smart Guys / List Of Businesses You Can Do In Nigeria / Akin Alabi:before Nairabet Gets Run Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.