Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,750 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid (11423 Views)

Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear / Housemaid Serving The Husband: Is It Right Or Wrong? / Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Cuddlemii: 8:57pm On Nov 03, 2012
Finland:
Using "table" is a figure of speech. it means eating with the family and not in a kitchen or balcony.

Obviously, I know that.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by othenok(f): 9:47pm On Nov 03, 2012
Reference:

Because there are several homes that are run very professionally. It depends on one's mindset. Maid doesn't have to be a dirty word. It is a profession. And both the employer and employee know their rights and obligations. A lot of people source their maids from the same agency they get their drivers and security men. Some maids get their wages at the office. There is a bigger, hassle free world out there.

I agree with you. In my home i have a Help and a Nanny, we all eat together but if i have a Maid like my neighbour's who is paid 30k every month, i won't really bother where she eats.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by samkoro: 10:16pm On Nov 03, 2012
Humans that think they are gods,do such.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Shaw007(m): 10:30pm On Nov 03, 2012
IYA NGBALI: Gbenu soun ode,if you don't understand something you ask questions,no wonder you wrote your jamb exams 5 times before you were finally smuggled in to study your language abi na dialect? tongue
OgbeNi sharrap and stOp telling me d stOry of ur Life. . .defend ur 1st Post. . .or u wanT 2 tell me there wasn't sarcasm there

_questIOnaire_
1) "shud we eat with our maids"
ans--"yes,by all means,since we also eat with our dogs and goats"

Now,isn't this ^^ the summary of ur previous post??

. . .OLodo oShI wey No fih construct ordinary English!tongue
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by gruppom: 10:59pm On Nov 03, 2012
This OP must cuddle his dog at night. I am sure mscheew!!

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by asudan: 11:17pm On Nov 03, 2012
queensmith:

pdude has answered the question. nigerian families don't tend to eat together. everyone just throws themselves down in any position to eat. including the housemaid or whoever has cooked the food, if he/she isn't busy cleaning up in the kitchen.
u r wrong on dis as some families still eat together.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by toluene12: 11:44pm On Nov 03, 2012
The discriminatory arguments written about housemaids on this thread are the same ones that sustained racial discrimination in america for 70 years (1890-1960s). 'For whites only' tags/signpost were displayed on public toilets, hotels, parking lots, buses, schools, colleges, cinemas, ticket offices and restaurants. Blacks were expected to patronize non white facilities. Sport games were also separated, blacks had their own football and baseball leagues. The likes of the great joe di maggio of the world series fame never competed against a black player. Blacks also worshiped in their own separate churches and were not to be seen in any public white gathering. Very dehumanizing! Yet this white folks felt strong about racial discrimination. They claimed they provide jobs to the black folks, pay them wages, and no longer treat them as slaves. If anything at all, the blacks should be grateful.They warned the few white sympathizers that giving up these privileges mean the ambitious black man will soon demand to be a mayor, gov. and then the president. 'Separate but equal' was their justification slogan. But the truth is, if it's separate it can never be equal.
Our relationship with people of lower social class/status should not be based on prejudice or stereotype rather it should be on trust n responsibility and if they've done enough to earn both then we should be willing to extend privileges to them. Giving up on so called social privileges is never easy but it takes a man of large heart, deep insight to life and good sense of moral judgement to know that sharing these things with others does not make you a lesser person and takes nothing away from u.
When clinton was president, he insisted that both snr and jnr white house staffs eat the same meal prepared by same people at the white house restaurant. When bush came to power, the arrangement was cancelled and the W.H restaurant was reseved for snr staffs only. Of course, we know the better president. Amazingly, this mistresses leave their kids in care of this maltreated housemaids and expect the latter not to maltreat the former! Seriously smh.

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by fluffybaby(f): 11:53pm On Nov 03, 2012
Abeg, where in this world do masters eat at the same table and time with their servants.
So, if one wants to eat at the table with his family, he invites the nanny, the gate man, gardner, butler, pool cleaner, etc etc to come join?No special time to discus with wifey and kids, no so what happened today honey. In my home, hubby and I and the kids spend meal times talking and planning the day and we will not like to share such moments with maids( Maids and others eat what we eat or better sef at times if we choose to eat less apealing food like indomie or yam with palm oil) Everyday o, not just on special ocassion? So if oga needs more ice maid stands up and gets it. If junior spill food, maid drops her food again to help out? If na me be that maid sha, I will prefere to wait till they finish or to eat somewhere else o.

3 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Luxythere: 12:41am On Nov 04, 2012
Reference: I know where this kind of topic is going. Housemaid as distinct from househelp. The former is a professional working in your house. The answer to this is simple. Will you share the same table with the Board of Directors in your company's canteen (if they ever show up there). Most certainly, no. There will always be class differences.

If it is the informal, from the village kind of arrangement called househelp where there is no job description, no prospects and a great deal of flexibility then you are in a relationship with a great deal of liability that may warrant such human considerations.

In Central London where I work I share the canteen with the CEO of a global company. I call him by name and share jokes with him while getting my job done. If I think he is wrong I call him out on it.....Himself , I and the whole company are working for the good of the company.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by prettyboi1(m): 12:58am On Nov 04, 2012
First & foremost,aren't "maids" human beings? Anyways, personally I believe in treating human beings fairly & with compassion.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by JoeBatters: 2:29am On Nov 04, 2012
Everybody is born equal, but sum r more equal dan others....life's a bitch but I still dig her.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by justmenoni: 7:29am On Nov 04, 2012
Alot of people here are right but our believe is different so everyone makes point but i agree on what one poster said: if u give dem an inch they take a mile some maids will go extra length and can be wayward and start giving you attitudes but believe me just make them comfortable and okay not necessarily by eating together with you,provide what they need and its alright.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by NosaHenry(m): 7:45am On Nov 04, 2012
In my house everybody eat anywhere he or she feels comfortable. I hadly use the dinning table myself. Housemaids will enjoy their food better without madam preying eyes or lectures on table manners.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Archmed(m): 9:00am On Nov 04, 2012
jidegirl12:

Abeg don't start housemaid war again, I'm out lipsrsealed
Are you a maid?
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by troy20(m): 11:03am On Nov 04, 2012
our true personalities is reflected by hw we relate to those we feel superior to.housemaids in alota situations are treated with such base indiginity.they seem 2 give our low esteem a lift.we arnt dat much different 4rm d animals aftarall.its always nice 2 climb up further in d food chain n hav someone 2 luk down at.u know a good woman by hw she gets along with her maid

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by infotail(m): 12:52pm On Nov 04, 2012
[b]Warning!!!!!![/b]Premature ejaculation is very bad,it destroys your sexual life,kills your sexual confidence..and i tell you it can bring disorder in a relationship because of lack of satisfaction.
do you last only 5mins in bed due to untimely ejaculation?
does she always complain that you dont satisfy her sexual desires?
then the good news is that IT IS NEVER TOO LATE.a man who suffered this for 8years was cured of it so why will yours be difference.have hope and trust in God.
If you really need solution to PREMATURE EJACULATION before it destroys your relationship and makes you feel less of a man then the solution is on your doorstep.

Visit www.e-book.gnbo.com.ng

This website provides help for people in that situation and i tell you with faith you can also be included in the list of those who testified how this website help them.

Dont delay,live whatever you are doing and rush to this website before it becomes overwhelmed with people.

Note-premature ejaculation can make you lose your loved one..so take a step now and make her feel like a woman
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by AmakaG29(f): 6:53pm On Nov 04, 2012
Though working in someone's how is a very intimate job, it is still a job. I wouldn't want to muddle the relationship by dining with the maid as if she were family. In some houses the maid is family, but if she's just a hired worker I wouldn't want her engaging in personal mealtime discussions with my family. For Holidays, yes, I would expect her to commune with us if she is around. Also, consider a meal to be personal time for the maid to relax and be away from her employers. I don't like being around my boss when I eat. I like to relax and eat in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by weaseloo: 8:48pm On Nov 04, 2012
Yes. My househelp eats at the table with my family. In fact I have converted this househelp to my first child. She helps me around the house and I take her as my own child. She is a blessing to my family. Woe betide anyone that would hurt or maltreat her. I will show that person pepper.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by igbo2011(m): 4:12am On Nov 06, 2012
GenBuhari: The concept of maids is little more than modern day slavery in most cases.

I believe this was what we learnt from our colonial masters and have continued it since.

I think we can start by treating "maids" with more respect and allowing them more dignity.
I mean it is better than nothing. Many people are nice to their house helps and they pay for education of children and other things. So it is either that or they are starving.

Capitalism has it's ups and downs.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by kemoolala: 3:27pm On Nov 06, 2012
No one is refers to as maid in my family, to face the fact here we are all maid in one way or the other, and we eat together on a table no stigma to dat. The same circumstances dat seems to made u fortunate as d boss is d same dat made dat lil girl u call maid unfortunate, so treat her like urself u never can tell why she is wit u.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by honeychild(f): 7:06pm On Nov 06, 2012
In my opinion a housemaid should not eat with the family. I had a maid once, we made her feel free, treated her like my younger sister. She ate with us at table and everything . Eventually she grew 'wings' started becoming saucy and even graduated to reporting me to my hubby when I scold her etc. I had to get rid of her sharp sharp. If I had not given her the freedom of sitting at d same table with my husband I don't think she would have had d audacity to report me. My new maid eats in the kitchen though she eats exactly what we eat. No unnecessary fraternizing abeg .

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by victorian(f): 7:42pm On Nov 06, 2012
True words , honeychild...some maids do take advantage of eating together with the family, to then become rude and saucy..it happens on several occasions.. as for me, no chitchat or meals with maids.. they or he /she can eat in their room or quaters.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 06, 2012
honeychild: In my opinion a housemaid should not eat with the family. I had a maid once, we made her feel free, treated her like my younger sister. She ate with us at table and everything . Eventually she grew 'wings' started becoming saucy and even graduated to reporting me to my hubby when I scold her etc. I had to get rid of her sharp sharp. If I had not given her the freedom of sitting at d same table with my husband I don't think she would have had d audacity to report me. My new maid eats in the kitchen though she eats exactly what we eat. No unnecessary fraternizing abeg .

Her hubby is guilty of the subtle insults you received from the maid. He must've slept with her. That's the only thing that could've made her grow such 'liver'. Be observant.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by toboy: 9:46am On Nov 07, 2012
Archmed:
Are you a maid?
why did you ask?
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Harpesin(m): 4:53pm On Nov 08, 2012
ItsModella: See question o. I think the reason is pretty obvious. They are not part of the family. It might not be the answer you want to hear but that's the reality of things.

So if you visit me and its time to eat, i shd send you to kitchen to go and eat your food cos u too are not part of d fam....Gbam#
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
Harpesin:

So if you visit me and its time to eat, i shd send you to kitchen to go and eat your food cos u too are not part of d fam....Gbam#
Show me where I said that they eat in the kitchen. Next time, make it a point to read subsequent posts before going off on a rant.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by toboy: 7:27am On Nov 09, 2012
ItsModella:
Show me where I said that they eat in the kitchen. Next time, make it a point to read subsequent posts before going off on a rant.
answer the question that you was asked! He wanted to tell you to reason before you post shallowly. Your uneccessary english wont save you! You are really the one ranting here!
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 09, 2012
toboy: answer the question that you was asked! He wanted to tell you to reason before you post shallowly. Your uneccessary english wont save you! You are really the one ranting here!
Next time, mind your damn business, dimwit!!! Everybody is titled to their opinion and that is mine, if you don't agree with it, that is your darn business, move the fucck on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ladies Help A Bush Man Out !!!! / Why Are Women Always Ungrateful? / High Blood Pressure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.