Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

The Rules Of Fashion - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / The Rules Of Fashion (717 Views)

See How This Lagos Girl Exposed Her Breast In The Name Of Fashion. / Would You Do This Hairstyle All In The Name Of Fashion / ~The Fashion Section Rules ~Guidelines & Queries ~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Rules Of Fashion by segunsd: 9:02pm On Nov 03, 2012
Hello there Nairalanders,

I’m sure at one point or another in our lives, we have all heard one fashion rule or another which we, as mere mortals, have broken.

“Don’t wear horizontal stripes with vertical ones.”

“Do not mix prints”

“If you are showing your décolletage, you must not show your legs and vice-versa.”

And of course, if you are American, do not for the love of God under any circumstance wear white after Labor Day. I am positive there is a whole Gossip Girl episode dedicated to ridiculing those who break this rule.

I am here to set you free from the chains of fashion oppression, from caring whether your “whale tail”* is peeking out of your impossibly skinny jeans, from giving a rat’s hairy behind about wearing tights in a tropical country. My fellow fashion victims go forth into the light with your mixed prints and coloured contacts.**

Not really, I lie!! Yes, it is true that some of these rules are outdated and impossible to comply with, especially when your mirror tells you how good you look.
However, some of these rules are there to protect us from ourselves: “yes I am talking to you, wearer of amethyst coloured contacts, you are not fooling anyone”.

Some of these rules such as “own classic pieces” protect us from the fickle nature of fashion itself.
It is spot-on that fashion is a true expression of self and in order to express one’s true self, one must not be constrained by rules created by others. This philosophical jargon like most philosophical renderings, has its basis in some form of reality. On the other hand,you must remember; if people cross the street when they see you coming, you are no longer in the realm of fashion. Psst, people think you are crazy.

The ultimate reality, in my very humble opinion, is if you are in doubt about something, it’s probably not the right look for you. Lastly, try to emulate the rules of fashion icons and not the “fashionistas”, it’s like the difference between diamonds and cubic zirconia, it is very clear.

*whale tail: the “ahem” bit of a thong, g-string that either peeks or glares out when a “lady” bends, sits or for some people walk around or even breathe.
**My excuses, coloured contact wearers, I have an inexplicable hatred for them.

http://naijapose.com/olaitans-two-cents-the-rules-of-fashion/
Re: The Rules Of Fashion by berylLOL(f): 9:47pm On Nov 03, 2012
do you hate contacts or people dat wear dem?..how can u just hate people without dem even hurtin u..dis is just sad.

(1) (Reply)

Need Your Help / Attention / Latest Products On Alonaija.com And Their Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.