Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,554 members, 7,837,122 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Tithers VS Non-tithers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithers VS Non-tithers (1401 Views)

Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / List Of People I Saw Going to Hell: Footballers & Fans, Musicians, Non-Tithers.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithers VS Non-tithers by staggerman(m): 2:39pm On Nov 04, 2012
I'd like the tithers and non-tithers to answer the following:

1. Are all tithers billionaires?

2. Are all cars and houses on earth owned only by tithers?

3. Are all non-tithers living in poverty (this includes Bill Gates, Aliko Dangote, etc)?

4. Do all tithers have good jobs, leaving the menial jobs for non-tithers?

5. Are all tithers living in the best places in the world, while non-tithers live in ghettos?

6. Do all tithers get admission into universities of their choice, while non-tithers are not favoured with such admissions?

7. Do all tithers graduate with 1st class, while all non-tithers who barely manage to get admission, only graduate with poor results?

8. Do all tithers easily get their choice of life partners than non-tithers?

9. Is it possible to say no tither has problems/challenges with regards to shelter, food, clothing, school fees, fruit of the womb, job, health etc?

10. Will all tithers go to heaven, while all non-tithers will be doomed to hell (whether or not they have believed in Jesus Christ. Jn 3:16)?

11. Are tithers the richest men in the world?

12. Are non tithers the poorest men in the world?
Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by Joagbaje(m): 6:50pm On Nov 04, 2012
Such comparison may not hold water.
It's like saying who is richer , christian or Muslim.
Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by staggerman(m): 7:00pm On Nov 04, 2012
Joagbaje: Such comparison may not hold water.
It's like saying who is richer , christian or Muslim.

Can we then say that paying a tenth of your income to any man does not offer any significant advantage in terms of proserity?

Can we calmly say tithers are not the richest, most educated, or greatest inventors in the world?
I believe we can safely say that tithes do not open the door of prosperity. That door is already open and many have walked through it without paying tithes.
Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 04, 2012
I dont tithe, I give more than 10 percent to the poor, over 30 percent. I first of all dont worship God for what He can do for me, I worship God because He is God.
I see people in need around me, it is scandalous that there should be such poverty in our midst and we ignore it and give it to people who dont need it.
I prefer to be the answer to someones prayer, i prefer to make a child I dont know get an education, ending the poverty circle in that family.
I prefer to feed the hungry, even donate to mosques where people can come and get foodstuff
I prefer to help out a young man or woman with a good business plan.
I prefer to pay medical bills and help out with provison for that child whose mother sits and prays for a mireacle everyday because she cant afford treatment and feeding.
I dont define a quality life by my ability to keep up with the Joneses or compete who wears the most gold or carries the latest gucci bag, I define quality life by my ability to serve God by serving others with all He has blessed me with.
I dont need a big pretentious car to be happy, I prefer a modest life sharing Gods love practically than enriching any greedy person who wont use it to feed the hungry and care for the sick as God commands.
I have always wished for a Range Rover but even if God gives me that money I will prefer to buy and donate a Chemo or dialysis machine than drive around in a car that i will be tired of in months.
God causes the sun to shine on saints and sinners. Gods ways are not our ways, we cant tell God who to bless, most pastors scare you with curses, they have no power as they too are under Gods mercy just as you are, difference is they have a guilable audience who swallow their lies and blackmail hook line and sinker

4 Likes

Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by Joagbaje(m): 7:24pm On Nov 04, 2012
staggerman:

Can we then say that paying a tenth of your income to any man does not offer any significant advantage in terms of proserity?

There's benefit of tithing . But you see the issue of prosperity has many sides . What of a man who pays tithe and has no prayer life. Or pays tithe and carries prostitutes . Definitely he will have some troubles. Besides . Tithes are not payed to msn. It belongs to God.
The comparison doesn't add up that's my point . What about offering ? What about salvation . Are christian the richest ? Does that mean being a christian has no blessing . What about . Offering . Is the offerer the richest man in the world? Does that mean there's no blessing to it. ? Hope you get my point.
Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 04, 2012
As usual, Mr Jo has taken off on his own tangent. simply provide yes or no answers to the questions raised.
Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 04, 2012
Joagbaje:

There's benefit of tithing . But you see the issue of prosperity has many sides . What of a man who pays tithe and has no prayer life. Or pays tithe and carries prostitutes . Definitely he will have some troubles. Besides . Tithes are not payed to msn. It belongs to God.
The comparison doesn't add up that's my point . What about offering ? What about salvation . Are christian the richest ? Does that mean being a christian has no blessing . What about . Offering . Is the offerer the richest man in the world? Does that mean there's no blessing to it. ? Hope you get my point.

when you give part of your income to the poor, you're also giving it to God....and even at that, you're not to expect anything in return. that's giving out of love.
Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by Joagbaje(m): 9:12pm On Nov 04, 2012
uhonmora: As usual, Mr Jo has taken off on his own tangent. simply provide yes or no answers to the questions raised.

There is no yes or no. There is no comparison
Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by Joagbaje(m): 9:18pm On Nov 04, 2012
uhonmora:
when you give part of your income to the poor, you're also giving it to God....and even at that, you're not to expect anything in return. that's giving out of love.

You give out of love of love yes. And you sow for a harvest. They all have their places . One doesn't condemn the other. There are different kinds giving. There is alms giving to the poor and free will to God. One giving doesn't replace the other.
Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 08, 2012
How are you giving to God? Are you taking it up there to him?

Let me tell you how the scriptures say we should give to God:

For when I was hungry, you gave me meat: I was thirsty you gave me drink. I was naked you clothed me, I was a stranger and you took me in.I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then shall the righteous answer, when did we do these things, and Jesus replied:

In as much as you did these unto one of the least of my brethren, you have done it unto me.
- Matthew 25:35-40.

That's how to give to God. For the early christians, the real reason for weekly collections was to distribute among the needy, right there in the church. Not to pay pastors salaries and whatnots.

3 Likes

Re: Tithers VS Non-tithers by lyricalpreacher(m): 6:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
uhonmora: As usual, Mr Jo has taken off on his own tangent. simply provide yes or no answers to the questions raised.

The verse most cited in support of the tithe is mal.3:8-10. For the purpose of learning about God , because we can't truly serve him if we don't know about him and what he expects from us for it is in spirit and accurate truth about him that he desires for us to serve him not out of unfounded fears or false teachings.
1) What is the tithe..... The tithe is 10% of the increase, established in leviticus27:30-33. As an offering holy to the Lord. The scriptures identifies the tithe as grain nd fruit, herd and flock. The tithe is food not because of d nature of the occupation at the time.

2) What was the tithe for?..... God doesn't need the food. God doesn't eat. God doesn't desire sacrifices or offering(psalm40:6) the tithe was used to feed the Levite priest and their families who were required to work in the temple day and night ministering to God on behalf of God's people(1chro 9:33) without the tithe, the levite priest would have need to raise their own food thereby taking them away from ministering before God, hence the refernce in mal3:10 " that there may be food in my house". Neh13:10-13 records a time when the levite priesty were not receiving the tithe wherin thjey abandoned their daily temple responsibilities to work the farm to feed their families. Unlike other tribes of isreal who were given land as their inheritance, the levites were not given land, only a few cities in which to live in. God was their inheritance(num 8:20-21) it says " the Lord said to aaron you will have no inheritance in their land, nor will you have any share among them. I'm your share and inheritance among the isrealites. I give to the levites all the tithes in isreal as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the tent of meeting"

Burdening. The body of christ with the tithe requires several twist nd reinterpretations of the scriptures
1) The tithe must be imported from the OT law of moses into the new convenant of grace by christ Jesus.
2)The truth must be redefined from cattle and fruit to money and often time.
3) The storehouse must be redefined. From the temple in jerusalem to the local church building.
4)The body of christ must buy into the ordained clergy as the new priesthood, thereby replacing the levite as the rightful recipient of the tithe.

Let's suppose for the sake of argument that jesus commanded us to continue tithing. It would be appropriate then to use the tithe to feed the priesthood as originally purposed. Who then is the priesthood? The apostle peter writes that every believer is a priest. The institutional church has borrowed. From the old testament model of the levitical priesthood, thereby establishin a new priesthood that is separate from the body of christ.

Jesus is the word of God in flesh(john1:14) he knew what mal3:10 meant when he instructed the rich man to sell everything and give the proceeds to the poor and hungry and since he commanded us to preach the gospel throughout the world why is most of our tithes used for church buildings and salaries with only a small percentage devoted to the poor, missions and evangelism.

I grew up believing tithing ws necessary and a law so I used to pay my tithes but as I came under a deeper meaning of what the law entails I discovered that givin to the advancement of God's will here on earth ws necessary bt as to the amount, its left for the individual not under law or compulsion but as he purposed in his heart. I still set aside 10% of my gross eanings to give to the church to propagate the gospel. When I give, its nt because I'm testin God to see hw he will open the gates of heaven nd pour out riches. NO! I give bkoz I must nd with accurate knowledge thay dat pronuncement of blessing ws in fulfilment of God's promise to isreal if de obeyed the laws as he gave to moses. But we r nt under those laws anymore. to delligently follow the laws of tithing is to unnecessarily put a load of observin d oda laws. Why take 1 seriously nd discard d odas. Set aside part of what God has blessed u with for the poor nd to ur local church nd most esp par of ur time also. I believe God will give us deeper understndin.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Satan Really Evil? Has He Killed Anybody Like God? When? / The More You Look Caucasian, The More Success You Have. Use The Bible To Explain / Describe Your Sunday Church Service And How You Feel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.