Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,452 members, 7,823,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Who Can Clear Me Out On Wheel Balancing And Alignment.... - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Who Can Clear Me Out On Wheel Balancing And Alignment.... (2461 Views)

Motorized Three-Wheel Tricycle Spotted In Onitsha (Photos) / Good Wheel Balancing And Alignment Centre Around Alausa Area / I Need Someone Who Can Clear My Car For Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Clear Me Out On Wheel Balancing And Alignment.... by tdie: 4:08pm On Nov 04, 2012
Hi all,
I had my Lions wheels balanced about 3 months ago @ a Michelin dealership in Enugu. They used some computer thingy and added some little lead like weights to the inner part of the 4 wheels. I also had the tires aligned at the same time.
My question is this; how frequently should one have his wheels balanced...?? Or aligned...
I plan on undertaking a 400km journey in 2weeks and my mechanic adviced on having my wheels balanced and aligned. Is he right (considering that I had that done 3 months ago)??

Thanks guys for your contributions
Re: Who Can Clear Me Out On Wheel Balancing And Alignment.... by tdie: 5:28pm On Nov 04, 2012
Hi Guys... Still waiting for your input... Siena, Ikenna
Re: Who Can Clear Me Out On Wheel Balancing And Alignment.... by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:10pm On Nov 04, 2012
wheel balancing is done each and every time you change the tyre

then alignement is done when the car has lost it tracking e.g the car swave to the right to left when you take off your hands of the steering or when the tyres worn out unevenly

he is coning you on doing them again unless if you going to change the tyres again and if the tyres are unevenly worn out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_alignment

http://www.national.co.uk/information/wheel-balancing.aspx
Re: Who Can Clear Me Out On Wheel Balancing And Alignment.... by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 04, 2012
There's no set time for wheel balancing and alignment.

If you use the vehicle more on bad roads, then it becomes almost a service issue. The lead weights get displaced, your front control arms and steering track rods distort ever so slightly, and alignment will compensate.

If for any reason a tyre is removed from the wheel, for a puncture repair (or even a new replacement) then this wheel will need to be rebalanced, even if it was balanced an hour ago.

Wheel alignment needs to be done any time the suspension is disturbed - like a replacement damper, spring, lower or upper arms. Even if an arm is removed to replace a bush, alignment will have to be carried out. The same applies if the steering rack, or track-rod ends are removed, and reinstalled.

If you're contemplating a long trip like you've stated, then I would go with your mechanic's recommendation. Yes, you had it all done three months ago, but three months driving on Nigerian roads is probably equivalent to a year's worth of driving on good roads in the West.
Re: Who Can Clear Me Out On Wheel Balancing And Alignment.... by tdie: 7:02pm On Nov 04, 2012
Thanks Guys... Will get that done....

(1) (Reply)

Pure White Gold Mercedes Benz / RX330 VS Toyota Camry2011 / 2005 Ford Escape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.