Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,832 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

What Is Mtn Upgrading To? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Is Mtn Upgrading To? (12269 Views)

Upgrading To A Tecno Phone To An Android Lollipop / Is Mtn Bis Capped Or........??? / What The Hell Is MTN PayGo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by COMPAQ(m): 9:37pm On Nov 04, 2012
Over the last couple of months, MTN has been in the news informing us of their current network upgrade. However, i'm curious about what they are upgrading to with respect to data! Are they moving up to HSPA+ otherwise known as 3.75g(which Airtel and Etisalat use) or are they moving up to LTE, otherwise known as 4g, (which no network in Nigeria uses yet - forget Glo's claims) which I understand is what MTN SA is upgrading to.

If there is anyone in the house privy to that info, please share as it could determine the nature of my next phone.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by newman10(m): 10:18pm On Nov 04, 2012
Dont mind them brother. They are always upgrading. Its just an excuse by them to cover up for their poor services jare

19 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by bestofibkpumpn(f): 11:32am On Nov 05, 2012
I go happy if they go upgrade go 4g network oo.. So dat i can make use of my samsung droid
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by mascot87(m): 4:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
They are upgrading to services aimed at milking their customers

3 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by DrMuzungu(m): 4:31pm On Nov 05, 2012
By "upgrading" they usually mean expanding capacity of their infrastructure along the busiest routes, I guess. Adding base stations, expanding existing ones etc. Upgrading does not necessarily mean bringing in new technologies.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by slimming: 4:31pm On Nov 05, 2012
newman10: Dont mind them brother. They are always upgrading. Its just an excuse by them to cover up for their poor services jare

supported

2 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by aryzgreat: 4:31pm On Nov 05, 2012
MTN is swapping their equipment from ericsson to Huawei, the exercise is bound to cause disruption in transmission.

1 Like

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by FASTLINK1: 4:32pm On Nov 05, 2012
I also would want to know
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 05, 2012
Has anyone won the aeroplane MTN promised giving to a lucky subscriber

Dat one nah my target, especially the cash option.

1 Like

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by lakad4u(m): 4:42pm On Nov 05, 2012
Mtn wf brains sha,dem just dey use dt one give us hope about there present fuckup,buh hope its tru sha,so we can atleast reap the labour of endurance with them...nothing like koko network..
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by Sagytarius(m): 4:43pm On Nov 05, 2012
I learnt they're upgrading such that as much as lines (numbers) you have, they can all be integrated into one sim. But you can still verify.
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by rman: 4:45pm On Nov 05, 2012
MTN is doing a complete overhaul of thier network.

Due to the increased demand for broadband from mobile users, access nodes that support bursty traffic are being deployed. Eg if you are chatting and during same chat u need to send a video, your demand for capacity suddenly increases, which the current network hardly supports.
When the modernization project is over, more sites and cities will be on 3G, almost all states capital will have a fibre metro, and both TDM and IP network will be made available. Also, the network will be LTE ready.

Almost all the network have HSDPA but what makes Etisalat the best is theirs is IP network which delivers flexible capacity as required.

They are doing all this on a live network with millions of subscribers so there will be issues.

It is a task that must be done based on what future mobile telecoms network will be delivering.

Yes, they have issues now but if they get it right, subscribers will sing a different song.

I hope some of my giberish makes sense.

10 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by seedord247(m): 4:47pm On Nov 05, 2012
Its not just MTN or nigeria thing.... Tmobile send me upgrade to my S2 sky rocket every 3 months, these guys do researh everyday and they always think of new ideas to improve thier network.
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by Mavor: 4:49pm On Nov 05, 2012
aryzgreat: MTN is swapping their equipment from ericsson to Huawei, the exercise is bound to cause disruption in transmission.
From Ericsson to ZTE guy. They are going full IP.
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by CrazyMan(m): 4:50pm On Nov 05, 2012
okpara ugo: Has anyone won the aeroplane MTN promised giving to a lucky subscriber

Dat one nah my target, especially the cash option.
Yea I'm really curious about their airplane scam...its obvious that no one has one the ghost plane yet.

Mtn = Maximum Thieves Nationwide sad

2 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 05, 2012
All i need is a stable network
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by Raxxye(m): 4:55pm On Nov 05, 2012
Do u mean “EMPTY N“, where N= Network?
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by ignis: 4:58pm On Nov 05, 2012
Op, instead of asking us this JAMB question here, you should have called their customer service number 180 and ask them. They will give you more accurate answer rather than the guesses here.

1 Like

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by OkwaIfugo(m): 5:01pm On Nov 05, 2012
mtn can never cease to amaze us.
anyway thanks for etisalat, glo, and airtel.
we don get choice shaaa.

wish Nepa will be made to be this way soon.
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by Super1759: 5:02pm On Nov 05, 2012
rman: MTN is doing a complete overhaul of thier network.

Due to the increased demand for broadband from mobile users, access nodes that support bursty traffic are being deployed. Eg if you are chatting and during same chat u need to send a video, your demand for capacity suddenly increases, which the current network hardly supports.
When the modernization project is over, more sites and cities will be on 3G, almost all states capital will have a fibre metro, and both TDM and IP network will be made available. Also, the network will be LTE ready.

Almost all the network have HSDPA but what makes Etisalat the best is theirs is IP network which delivers flexible capacity as required.

They are doing all this on a live network with millions of subscribers so there will be issues.

It is a task that must be done based on what future mobile telecoms network will be delivering.

Yes, they have issues now but if they get it right, subscribers will sing a different song.

I hope some of my giberish makes sense.

are you mtn Nigeria's general manager?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by deor03(m): 5:06pm On Nov 05, 2012
Basically what MTN is doing is called Network Modernization Project.

This type of project is presently going on in several markets around the world. They are also swapping out in some other regions as well.

They are putting the modern cabinets on site capable of doing IP Transmission and also capable of 2G/3G/4G in a single cabinet.

In addition to above "network modernization solution is designed to help operators fully utilize their site energy, reduce energy consumption of their temperature control systems, optimize their site layout, and fulfill their social responsibilities for energy saving and emission reduction. In addition the solution also aims to reduce site OPEX, prolong equipment life cycle, and enhance operators' competitiveness." [ culled from Huawei ]

I implore you to read more about network modernization projects around the world.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by asudan: 5:15pm On Nov 05, 2012
wandeay: they want to upgrage from 3G(3cups of garri) to
4G(4cups of garri) otherwise known as LTE (Let
Them Eat)
na wa for u

7 Likes

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by surugede(m): 5:18pm On Nov 05, 2012
deor03: Basically what MTN is doing is called Network Modernization Project.

This type of project is presently going on in several markets around the world. They are also swapping out in some other regions as well.

They are putting the modern cabinets on site capable of doing IP Transmission and also capable of 2G/3G/4G in a single cabinet.

In addition to above "network modernization solution is designed to help operators fully utilize their site energy, reduce energy consumption of their temperature control systems, optimize their site layout, and fulfill their social responsibilities for energy saving and emission reduction. In addition the solution also aims to reduce site OPEX, prolong equipment life cycle, and enhance operators' competitiveness." [ culled from Huawei ]

I implore you to read more about network modernization projects around the world.

I am in the industry. Believe you me, what MTN is doing is equipment Swap and not Network Modernization. They are Swapping Ericsson Equipment for Huawei and ZTE [both Chinese coys]and I can authoritatively tell you that these equipment are are not in any way IP TX equipments. As a matter of fact, after the swap [modernization, so called] is Asaba, Delta state, a Huawei region, the Network KPI got worse than before, so also was it in PH region. The simple truth is that for the interest of some people Ericsson is swapped out for Huawei. Believe you me, money exchanged hands for this to take place. If you expecting the MTN network to get better after now, I am sorry to tell you, you will be disappointed.

1 Like

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by Bawss1(m): 5:23pm On Nov 05, 2012
Modernization is such a vague term.

I just hope they are not using this term to refer to the handing over of a great deal of their network services to ZTE

1 Like

Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by omocheche(f): 5:25pm On Nov 05, 2012
So which one is better for them?
aryzgreat: MTN is swapping their equipment from ericsson to Huawei, the exercise is bound to cause disruption in transmission.
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by DonaldGenes(m): 5:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
bestofibkpumpn: I go happy if they go upgrade go 4g network oo.. So dat i can make use of my samsung droid

Taaaaaaaaaaah taaaaaaah wch android
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by omocheche(f): 5:28pm On Nov 05, 2012
lol
asudan:
na wa for u
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by obalolaunited(m): 5:28pm On Nov 05, 2012
surugede:

I am in the industry. Believe you me, what MTN is doing is equipment Swap and not Network Modernization. They are Swapping Ericsson Equipment for Huawei and ZTE [both Chinese coys]and I can authoritatively tell you that these equipment are are not in any way IP TX equipments. As a matter of fact, after the swap [modernization, so called] is Asaba, Delta state, a Huawei region, the Network KPI got worse than before, so also was it in PH region. The simple truth is that for the interest of some people Ericsson is swapped out for Huawei. Believe you me, money exchanged hands for this to take place. If you expecting the MTN network to get better after now, I am sorry to tell you, you will be disappointed.

In a nut shell we should all go get an etisalat sim hmmm making sense
Re: What Is Mtn Upgrading To? by haykay2005: 5:29pm On Nov 05, 2012
Mtn is upgrading to FAIL

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OUKITEL K6000 | Massive 6000mah Battery| 10 Days Normal Use / Please How Do I Identify An Original Or Fake Infinix Phone? / Infinix Storms UNILAG With HOT 30 Series Launch Concert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.