Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,578 members, 7,865,413 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:34 PM

Discussion / What Is Your Perception Of Democracy In Africa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Discussion / What Is Your Perception Of Democracy In Africa? (683 Views)

This Funny pic Of Vp Osinbajo Having Discussion With Politicians Has Gone Viral / Those Calling For Saraki’s Resignation Are Enemies Of Democracy – Babatope / Face Of Democracy, Jennifer Ohia Unveils Book On Jonathan's Administration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discussion / What Is Your Perception Of Democracy In Africa? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 05, 2012
1-The most decent political system out there, necessary to be rightfully applied for political, social and economic stability?

2-One of the worst import we ever had after colonialism? If yes what would be the best political system to apply?

3- You are Indecisive! The good and the bad coming from its application cancel out! so leave it as it is?

Please justify your choice!
Re: Discussion / What Is Your Perception Of Democracy In Africa? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
I'll have to go with number 2...

Don't ask me why, I'm Afrocentric.. grin

Personally, I believe the old systems we had(when we built our civilisations) before western style democracy actually catered for our needs - than what we've got now... This crap has failed Africa and Africans...

2 Likes

Re: Discussion / What Is Your Perception Of Democracy In Africa? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 05, 2012
shymexx: I'll have to go with number 2...

Don't ask me why, I'm Afrocentric.. grin

Personally, I believe the old systems we had(when we built our civilisations) before western style democracy actually catered for our needs - than what we've got now... This crap has failed Africa and Africans...

2)is my choice as well. Almost everything from our mentality to our religion has been borrowed from the west! We try to fight battles or apply systems that are not ours.
For example:
-This Christianity vs Islam thingy undecided. This is not our battle, however it remains one of the main causes of division in some african countries.
-What we call democracy today, has been the main cause of our backwardness not only because we have failed to apply, but because it's not proper to us and to our economic and social development.

If we are not true to ourselves, we can't really evolve and we will always be exploited by the west.

i ll develop thoroughly choice 2, and provide my solutions later smiley
Re: Discussion / What Is Your Perception Of Democracy In Africa? by Nobody: 5:13am On Nov 25, 2012
how come no one from the politic section on this forum has not express thoughts on this subject? angry angry angry angry

Common guys all the time democracy, democracy, now explain how beneficial it is?
Re: Discussion / What Is Your Perception Of Democracy In Africa? by ektbear: 5:24am On Nov 25, 2012
Sybellah: 1-The most decent political system out there, necessary to be rightfully applied for political, social and economic stability?

2-One of the worst import we ever had after colonialism? If yes what would be the best political system to apply?

3- You are Indecisive! The good and the bad coming from its application cancel out! so leave it as it is?

Please justify your choice!

Hmm. I can't speak about democracy in general in Africa. But in Nigeria, it fails at a national level for:

a) ethnic reasons (Nigeria is too diverse for democracy)
b) financial reasons (win national elections and you get to spend oil money)

On a state level, I'm also not really sure democracy is working. People just buy/sell votes and stuff ballots. Governors spend heavily from state funds to get re-elected.

Despite these flaws, I would recommend keeping democracy. Primarily because I don't know of a better alternative.
Re: Discussion / What Is Your Perception Of Democracy In Africa? by Nobody: 5:56am On Nov 25, 2012
ekt_bear:

Hmm. I can't speak about democracy in general in Africa. But in Nigeria, it fails at a national level for:

a) ethnic reasons (Nigeria is too diverse for democracy)
b) financial reasons (win national elections and you get to spend oil money)

On a state level, I'm also not really sure democracy is working. People just buy/sell votes and stuff ballots. Governors spend heavily from state funds to get re-elected.

Despite these flaws, I would recommend keeping democracy. Primarily because I don't know of a better alternative.

umh true true! Most African countries are like agglomerations of many ethnic groups, we have yet evolve into what is called "nations". Until we develop similar cultural values, most of our nationals will always base their votes on ethnic characteristics.

1 Like

Re: Discussion / What Is Your Perception Of Democracy In Africa? by kunlekunle: 9:37am On Nov 25, 2012
Democracy in Africa failed on arrival, its a fairy system, we cant understand it till you go to the cradle itself.
What The propounders of the system wrote and how it evolved.

(1) (Reply)

Bauchi Governor, Yuguda, Dismisses Civil Servant Over Facebook Post On Corruptio / Fresh Blast In Kano Leaves Many Injured / What Is Delta State All About?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.