Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? (2516 Views)

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 8:10pm On Nov 05, 2012
I have always believed that Yoruba Language is the most accessible (easily understood) that can be learnt within few weeks unlike other languages in Nigeria. The Ogoja language is the most difficult (just expressing my opinion here) to me! I don't know what many of you guys feel here.....over to you for more enlightening!
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by StarFlux: 10:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
Yoruba has some very complex grammar that you cannot learn in a matter of weeks. If you can learn Yoruba that fast, then you can learn about any language that fast. Which language is easier to YOU often depends on your mother tongue (tonal qualities, grammar, pronounciation etc). It takes years to become fluent in a language other than your mother tongue.

I am interested in hearing your reasoning behind Ogoja being challenging.

1 Like

Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by AndreUweh(m): 11:37pm On Nov 05, 2012
@Topic, the big 3 are very accessible. Accessibility is not so easy outside the big 3.
The way the Igbo language is designed makes it difficult for non Igbo people to grasp it. For example the Igbo make use of idioms called akpala okwu and okwu na ese akuko. The later is using stories to communicate your point. It's very rich.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 11:44pm On Nov 05, 2012
@StarFlux you just gave an elaborate account on the composition and assessment of language especially the Yoruba language. I believe the Yoruba is the easiest to learn, which one is ur easiest and hardest (you did not state them). As for the Ogoja stuff, I have a friend who told me that in Cross River people hardly hear other local govt's indigenes dialect which to me is strange. He is from Obubra and he told me too that the Ogoja dialect is quite hard to learn.cool
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 11:50pm On Nov 05, 2012
Andre Uweh: @Topic, the big 3 are very accessible. Accessibility is not so easy outside the big 3.
The way the Igbo language is designed makes it difficult for non Igbo people to grasp it. For example the Igbo make use of idioms called akpala okwu and okwu na ese akuko.The later is using stories to communicate your point. It's very rich.
Little wonder as much as I tried my best to learn Igbo it proves elusive to me, I really want to learn. Which is easiest and hardest 2u
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by StarFlux: 12:14am On Nov 06, 2012
tomakint: @StarFlux you just gave an elaborate account on the composition and assessment of language especially the Yoruba language. I believe the Yoruba is the easiest to learn, which one is ur easiest and hardest (you did not state them). As for the Ogoja stuff, I have a friend who told me that in Cross River people hardly hear other local govt's indigenes dialect which to me is strange. He is from Obubra and he told me too that the Ogoja dialect is quite hard to learn.cool
Well, I am learning Yoruba right now, and since my mother tongue is an indo-european language, I find it very different from what I'm used to. Some of the grammar is unfamiliar.

I'm not sure if I can give a good answer. The languages I know is Norwegian, English and some Yoruba. Learned English all the way through school, so I have no idea how I picked it up, just did and it's very similar to Norwegian, so for me, English has to be one of the easiest. When it comes to the hardest language, I don't know. People will say Chinese or Japanese etc (outside of Nigeria), but I'd argue that if those languages were written using the Latin alphabet, it would be a whole different story. I had French for 5 years, now I don't remember anything. I wouldn't say it was that hard though.

From the languages I have attempted/is learning, I have to go with Yoruba as the hardest. I feel like I can't make a fair comment towards other languages I know nothing about, especially Nigerian ones. But many are from the same language family, so I assume there are many similarities.

From the Niger-Congo family, most languages are tonal so that's one similarity, grammar is probably not too far off eachother, sounds/words may vary a bit, but overall, if you already know one Niger-Congo language, the hardest part is the vocabulary.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 12:44am On Nov 06, 2012
@StarFlux, wao u sure do have a passion for languages, Nigeria for instance is a land of over a thousand dialects so u can imagine the peculiarities of my land.As for u branding Yoruba as the hardest i beg to differ on that in fact many Europeans are Nigerian universities studying it to the highest level (PhD). In Nigerian context, Yoruba is still the easiest to understand based on my own experience.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by StarFlux: 1:06am On Nov 06, 2012
tomakint: @StarFlux, wao u sure do have a passion for languages, Nigeria for instance is a land of over a thousand dialects so u can imagine the peculiarities of my land.As for u branding Yoruba as the hardest i beg to differ on that in fact many Europeans are Nigerian universities studying it to the highest level (PhD). In Nigerian context, Yoruba is still the easiest to understand based on my own experience.
Why is Yoruba easier than other similar languages? I just looked briefly through Igbo grammar, and I didn't notice anything shockingly different. When you are exposed to a certain language, you will pick it up naturally and it may come off as easier. I personally don't have any reason to believe Yoruba is any easier than other Nigerian languages, unless you can provide me with an explanation outside of your own experiences.

And yeah, I love languages! Hoping I can go to Nigeria for a year in not too long to learn more Yoruba. Also hoping to come by an Edo course, but seems pretty hard so far.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 1:19am On Nov 06, 2012
@StarFlux, I sided with Yoruba probably because I am one! Is it true that English is related to Norwegian? (that'll be interesting to know). Can u speak Icelandic? They talk with a very thick accent, and it's quite sad you learn how to speak FRENCH for five years but couldn't speak it again, probably u got no one to relate it with, sorry about that!
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by StarFlux: 1:32am On Nov 06, 2012
tomakint: @StarFlux, I sided with Yoruba probably because I am one! Is it true that English is related to Norwegian? (that'll be interesting to know). Can u speak Icelandish? They talk with a very thick accent, and it's quite sad you learn how to speak FRENCH for five years but couldn't speak it again, probably u got no one to relate it with, sorry about that!
Oh ok! I see cheesy

No, I can't speak Icelandic, though I can understand some of it in written form. It's more or less a very old form for Norwegian. And yeah, thick is a good word for it. French was a bit sad, but wasn't really interested in the language anyway, was mandatory in school. But not a big loss for me!

It is said that Norwegian is the easiest language for an English speaker to learn, so yeah, they are pretty close! It should be no problem for you to pick up, if you are interested.

So what languages do you speak, also, what dialect for Yoruba?
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 1:49am On Nov 06, 2012
Well how I wish I can speak many languages but can just speak Yoruba(any Yoruba speaking tribe,I do understand and can speak) Ondo,Idanre dialects (all in Ondo State). Languages I really love to know; Spanish, French, Portuguese and Latin cool
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by StarFlux: 1:57am On Nov 06, 2012
tomakint: Well how I wish I can speak many languages but can just speak Yoruba(any Yoruba speaking tribe,I do understand and can speak) Ondo,Idanre dialects (all in Ondo State). Languages I really love to know; Spanish, French, Portuguese and Latin cool
Awesome!

Ok, so romance languages? Very beautiful languages. I always thought French sounded nice, but was never really into it. There are so many similar words in French and English, and the grammar is very similar. If you want to start with one of these, I think I'd go with French. I'm using a book called Colloquial Yoruba (Colloquial series) it's excellent. You can get one for French as well. Just do some small reading when you have time, and you will eventually learn the language at a very basic level. I think there's also a level 2 version.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 2:09am On Nov 06, 2012
...and u are sure I can get the French version in Nigeria? To be on a safer side, can u send me the electronic version thru my email; tomakinta@gmail.com I will be happy to study it, if its excellent as u said
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by StarFlux: 2:23am On Nov 06, 2012
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 2:39am On Nov 06, 2012
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by AndreUweh(m): 11:31am On Nov 06, 2012
The Igbo language may be difficult to understand because of its richness e.g, we have what is called ukabuilu. This is a way the IGBO use proverb and added to a little bit of story. If you are not Igbo, it will difficult for you. Mind you, Ukabuilu is different from proverbs. Ukabuilu comes with a little bit of story.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by AndreUweh(m): 11:37am On Nov 06, 2012
@topic, as I said earlier that the Igbo language is so full of idioms, as a result a lot of people who are not originally Igbo may not understand it. For example, if an Igbo says nwata ahu nwere nti ike. A non Igbo may not know that it means nwata ahu anaghi erube isi (that child is disobedient or stubborn).
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by StarFlux: 11:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
Yoruba also has many idioms, and are used frequently.

Examples:
Lati jeka - to eat fingers (regret).
Lati gbese le nkan - to put down foot (stop something).

Yoruba, Igbo and similar languages are often very rich in idioms and proverbs. You are right, it makes the language difficult to understand when it is spoken in this way.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 12:03pm On Nov 07, 2012
Andre Uweh: @topic, as I said earlier that the Igbo language is so full of idioms, as a result a lot of people who are not originally Igbo may not understand it. For example, if an Igbo says nwata ahu nwere nti ike. A non Igbo may not know that it means nwata ahu anaghi erube isi (that child is disobedient or stubborn).

You are right back in my days in Isuikwuato, I can not forget how my Igbo friends tried so hard just to 'put me in the know of the language' and each time I grasp one, by the next day it's off my memory cry and this makes me sad, its a language I really want to learn but trust me its quite difficult based on what you just pointed out here. Andre, what is your submission on 'Ogoja language'?
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 12:12pm On Nov 07, 2012
StarFlux: Yoruba also has many idioms, and are used frequently.

Examples:
Lati jeka - to eat fingers (regret).
Lati gbese le nkan - to put down foot (stop something).

Yoruba, Igbo and similar languages are often very rich in idioms and proverbs. You are right, it makes the language difficult to understand when it is spoken in this way.

grin grin grin grin you are funny with the above! to eat fingers is actually - o ti ika abamo bo enu! yes it's regret wink while the second is 'mo gbese le' is usually attributed to our Kings popularly referred to as 'Kabiyesi' yeah you are right it means to 'stop something'
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by AndreUweh(m): 4:59pm On Nov 07, 2012
tomakint:

You are right back in my days in Isuikwuato, I can not forget how my Igbo friends tried so hard just to 'put me in the know of the language' and each time I grasp one, by the next day it's off my memory cry and this makes me sad, its a language I really want to learn but trust me its quite difficult based on what you just pointed out here. Andre, what is your submission on 'Ogoja language'?
@Tom, there is nothing like Ogoja language. Ogoja is an extensive town made up of different languages. The languages there are different from one another but all classified as Ekoi (Ejagham).Some of the languages there is very similar to Igbo spoken in Afikpo e.g Legbo. Some sound like the Igbo spoken in Abakiliki eg bekpara.
But credit to these people for given The old east a form of written language called Nsibidi.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 5:12pm On Nov 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:
@Tom, there is nothing like Ogoja language. Ogoja is an extensive town made up of different languages. The languages there are different from one another but all classified as Ekoi (Ejagham).Some of the languages there is very similar to Igbo spoken in Afikpo e.g Legbo. Some sound like the Igbo spoken in Abakiliki eg bekpara.
But credit to these people for Kiven The old east a form of written language called Nsibidi.
Wao thanks a lot on that eye-opener!
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by AndreUweh(m): 5:49pm On Nov 07, 2012
tomakint:
Wao thanks a lot on that eye-opener!
Thanks.
It's a pity none of the groups dominate one another. IBB dealt a very severe blow to these peoples' chance of a state by creating Akwa Ibom state and excluding Calabar areas and retained them in Cross River.
The Efiks of Calabar are more related in culture to Ibibios/Annangs and has no business being in Cross River state.
In the 60's some of the Eastern minorities demanded for a state out of the largely Igbo eastern Nigeria. That state they demanded was called C.O.R state; in full, it is Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers state. With the creation of Rivers state in 1967, and SE state at the same time, It would have been the turn of Ogoja province to get a new state. Yet IBB created Akwa Ibom and excluded Calabar.
Im my opinion, I would support Calabar detached from Cross River state and merged with Akwa Ibom. With this arrangement, the Ekoi or Ejagham groups will be known as cross River with the capital at Ogoja.

1 Like

Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 11:53pm On Nov 07, 2012
@Andre, ur last post was very insightful! Just to add to it I read sometimes in an interview granted by Joe 'Air Raid' Achuzia (the Biafran General)that Port Harcourt actually belonged to the Igbo speaking pple of the old Eastern region,how true? On the COR States I think Gowon's creation of the 12 States messed everything up and laid the foundation for the imbalance in the Calabar axis till date. good job andre cool
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by AndreUweh(m): 12:32am On Nov 08, 2012
tomakint: @Andre, ur last post was very insightful! Just to add to it I read sometimes in an interview granted by Joe 'Air Raid' Achuzia (the Biafran General)that Port Harcourt actually belonged to the Igbo speaking pple of the old Eastern region,how true? On the COR States I think Gowon's creation of the 12 States messed everything up and laid the foundation for the imbalance in the Calabar axis till date. good job andre cool
Those who initiated the COR state did not include Port Harcourt and Igbo speaking areas in the first place.. The Wilkinson commission did not also indicate that Ikwerres were minorities but part of the larger Igbo community.
The Ikwerres were devided at the point of creating Rivers state. Those who were anti Igbo went to Gowon to convince him that they are not Igbo and that they wish to be added in the new proposed state. Gowon accepted their views against the wishes of Obi Wali and co who wanted to remain with their Igbo kins. So Rivers state created in 1967 with one-third of Igbo population.
But the worst happened when Mamman Nasir commission without the consent of the people of Egbema, Obigbo and Ndoki were merged into Rivers state because of the oil in those areas. As luck will have it now, Imo and Abia also had oil deposits and are now part of the iol producing states.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by AndreUweh(m): 12:36am On Nov 08, 2012
Regarding Port Harcourt, some parts belong to Okrika people while a grater part belong to the Ikwerre Igbo speaking people. Most people who built Port Harcour today are the hinterland Igbo and till date, what Port Harcourt is today can be largely attributed to them.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 12:52am On Nov 08, 2012
Andre Uweh: Regarding Port Harcourt, some parts belong to Okrika people while a grater part belong to the Ikwerre Igbo speaking people. Most people who built Port Harcour today are the hinterland Igbo and till date, what Port Harcourt is today can be largely attributed to them.
Wao I am proud of u, indeed u are a walking encyclopaedia on Nigerian politics.U will still agree with me dat d 12 states messed up many calculations in d old Eastern region.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 08, 2012
Bwahahahahahaha

This is madness!!

Why are you talking to yourself, ANdre? - we know you're tomakint as well...

I need to contact your MP to get you sectioned before it's too late!! undecided undecided
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by odumchi: 2:36am On Nov 08, 2012
I would say that Yoruba is the most "accessible" Nigerian language in the sense that it's relatively easier to get your hands on its learning materials as compared to those of their languages.

Difficult is a relative term. Theoretically, it would be easier for a Kanuri native speaker to learn Hausa than for an Efik native speaker to do so. Also, it would be easier for an Edo native speaker to learn Yoruba than for an Igbo native speaker to do so.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by tomakint: 10:28am On Nov 08, 2012
@ Odumchi you are so so right! Indeed an Edo man would find Yoruba more accessible than Igbo man for real I also agree with u that Yoruba is the most accessible of all Nigerian languages perhaps it has to do with the domineering nature of Yoruba's culture across the country! Good point! What type of language did u use to compose ur signature?
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by AndreUweh(m): 10:29am On Nov 08, 2012
odumchi: I would say that Yoruba is the most "accessible" Nigerian language in the sense that it's relatively easier to get your hands on its learning materials as compared to those of their languages.

Difficult is a relative term. Theoretically, it would be easier for a Kanuri native speaker to learn Hausa than for an Efik native speaker to do so. Also, it would be easier for an Edo native speaker to learn Yoruba than for an Igbo native speaker to do so.
I strongly believe that the same way one can lay his hands on Yoruba language materials so also can one easily access Igbo.
With the formation of SOCIETY FOR THE PROMOTION OF IGBO LANGUAGE AND CULTURE (SPILAC) materials on Igbo language about everywhere. Recently, the two foremost institutions in England Oxfor University and Cambridge has added the Igbo language as one of their courses. If materials are not as accessible as yoruba, surely they will not do that.
About the Hausa, am not too sure to comment as I do not grow up there nor come from there.
Re: Which Of The Nigerian Languages Is The Most Accessible And Difficult? by odumchi: 4:52am On Nov 09, 2012
tomakint: @ Odumchi you are so so right! Indeed an Edo man would find Yoruba more accessible than Igbo man for real I also agree with u that Yoruba is the most accessible of all Nigerian languages perhaps it has to do with the domineering nature of Yoruba's culture across the country! Good point! What type of language did u use to compose ur signature?

I wouldn't necessarily say that that's the reason why Yoruba has more learning materials than other languages. I would say that the efforts being made by Yoruba scholars, both indeginous and foreign, are keeping Yoruba relatively relevant.

My signature is in Igbo.

Andre Uweh:
I strongly believe that the same way one can lay his hands on Yoruba language materials so also can one easily access Igbo.
With the formation of SOCIETY FOR THE PROMOTION OF IGBO LANGUAGE AND CULTURE (SPILAC) materials on Igbo language about everywhere. Recently, the two foremost institutions in England Oxfor University and Cambridge has added the Igbo language as one of their courses. If materials are not as accessible as yoruba, surely they will not do that.
About the Hausa, am not too sure to comment as I do not grow up there nor come from there.

I'm not saying that the Igbo language is not relevant - no, of course not. What I'm saying is that (I may be wrong though) due to the combined efforts of both Nigerian and foreign Yoruba scholars, (it seems) Yoruba has been made relatively more accessible to the lingistic community. We Igbo are trying very hard also and have made significant strides in atttempting to improve the way we teach and preserve our language. In the United States, Igbo is also taught as a course in many universities: one of which being the University of Pennsylvania.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pictures From Oru-owerri Festival / Do You Like An Edoid Nation? / Real Picture And Short Story Of The Woman Behind Twenty Naira Note-ladi Kwali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.