Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. (14086 Views)

I'm Thinking Of Relocating To Dubai For Greener Pasture / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Ezinwannem: 4:36pm On Feb 15, 2008
@Delta, 2010, am off 2 go live in Nigeria, I can't wait
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 6:21pm On Feb 15, 2008
Delta!!!!! I hail o!!
why are you scaring me now? eh? i'm looking for a way to evade the horrible tax here and you are telling me it's the same in Canada? I dont know what to say now,honestly. As for the weather,i think we can live with that.It's often terrible here for me. Unless you are telling me it's like being in the north pole. Is it that bad?
pls educate me.I'm open to advice. Where exactly do you reside? is the tax up to 40%?

Thank you so much. You have woken me up from my slumber.I thought Canada was a paradise of some sorts.How is the healthcare system there? will keep coming back,so expect me.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Ezinwannem: 7:35pm On Feb 15, 2008
our health care is the same as UK, free with ur OHIP card, our tax is not up to 40 percent but close, like 30 percent
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 5:09am On Feb 16, 2008
There is no paradise anywhere thats the truth.

Tax IS high in Canada, but there are ways to reduce your tax bills if you are creative about it - register a business, buy a house, etc.

Some parts of Canada are extremely cold, others are not so bad. . .but the truth is once you've been here for a year or so, its no longer as bad as it sounds - the first winter is the real test. If you make it through that, then you'll be fine wink

In Ontario, health care (basic) is free with your OHIP card, but you pay a tax premium on that. In BC you pay about $60 a month for mandatory provincial insurance with basic stuff covered too.

Tax levels depends on your income and how much deductibles you have - family, home business, etc.

Delta is very right, it depends on what you're looking for - income taxes are about the same, but housing/cars are more affordable.

If you can tell us what exactly is terrible for you then maybe we can give you some perspectives on how it is in Canada.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 4:49pm On Feb 16, 2008
Thanks again. smiley
Yeah.Transportation is a bit up there in the UK too. Child minding is very expensive here.I have two kids.I pay the minder £450 for the older one and £550 for the baby monthly.My paycheck finishes any month i decide to relieve my husband of this fee. We know the worth of a good education,and so my son attends a good school with a 'good sum' too. We pay £900 monthly as school fees. This is aside from the minder's charge o! Mortgage is £1300.When my husband gets posted back to 9ja,i'm thinking we'd have to find a 'better' place grin.because my brother £1300 na better money. Let me not even talk of MOT and all the orisirisi.
My question is-is there no way one can live the same quality of life without paying soooooooo much for it? My little sister is coming here soon for her masters and the sum of £9700 is staring us in the face shocked. Na wa o!!!! If it's better in Canada,we may retrace our steps and have her study there. I need to save alot more monthly,and it's hardly happening here,honestly. If we can achieve that in Canada,then Canada,here i come!!!!!
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 10:54pm On Feb 17, 2008
@Amsky:

Hopefully, i can address a few issues based on my experience.

Firstly, with regards the tax issue, that is a big killer. Every province is different tho. Some are less than the others (depending on how wealthy the province is). At the moment, Alberta is booming cos of the oil sands. . .so u guessed right; every living soul is virtually moving there cos u can cash in within a cpl years and leave. The real estate market there is unreal. Thankfully, as a graduate, I have a regular well paying job most pple wud dream of, with a lot of flexibility and honestly, if i have to cater for my lifestyle (which some might say is abit flamboyant, but I no send grin), it wud be a tough one. I remember looking at the summary of my tax payments last year from this job and i just shook my head. . .wetin man dey pay, kai! I have to supplement my regular income from a few enterprises I tend to work out. I be Naija and even if they paid me 1million a day, I'm not just satisfied with coming home at 3pm because office don close. I just love challenging myself and fortunately, that brings me extra income. Like Debosky said, other ways pple use to combat the tax issue is buying a house, registering businesses, etc. I cant tell u how much tax u wud be paying; it just depends on which tax bracket u fall into. Feel free to browse the Canadian revenue Agency ( http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-e.html ) to get an idea.

As for the education thingy, firstly, Canada is way cheaper than the UK. That's a fact. Prior to my move to Canada years ago, I had the option of choosing both locations and it's no contest. Altho, previously, international students werent allowed to work off campus in their respective universities in Canada; so either they settle for crappy limited spots on campus or they work under the table. Hence, I always advised pple with little income to settle for the UK so they can generate some income for their upkeep while in school but that law has been scrapped and international students are allowed to work after the first 6mths of starting their studies. As a permanent resident or citizen, u are not subjected to those high international differential fees. Students in provinces like Quebec pay peanuts. Also, I believe the standard of education in Canada is relatively high and although about 8% students attend private schools, majority High School students are in public schools and the education is free.

Someone has already addressed the health care issue. . . yeah, it's free grin

Yeah, babysitting cud be expensive too. I got friends and relatives with babies and I feel their pain when they complain. The govt tries to assist by paying u some social supplements per child (which u do not get if u do not file ur taxes smiley ) which is barely enough for anything. The more u make, the less u obviously get from the govt with regards this subject. I think the best way is to help urself by settling in fast and making decent friendships that share similar interests. That way, u can help ur neighbour and ur neighbour can help u.

Transportation . . .not as bad as the UK in my opinion. Yeah, gas is getting expensive everyday and i drive those guzzlers (see? i told u grin ). Most provinces have rebates now if u buy a vehicle that qualifies for the program. e.g. hybids. Every city/province also tends to have its own unique public transport structure. Some cities have deals with the respective universities so that all students (whether u use public transport or not) pay a flat fee (which is less than half a student wud pay) for public transportation during the school year. If u drive, parking cud be a b!tch if u work or got business to do in the urban metros.

I wont fail to emphasize the weather. I've been here long enough and I dont for one bit, dig the weather. I've only learnt to live with the weather and structure my activities around it. The summers could be very hot, just that it's short.

At the end of the day, if asked if i'd still make the move, Yes I would. Life is all about challenges and in my sojourns on planet earth, there' no one place u can go where success is guaranteed.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 12:49pm On Feb 18, 2008
hey delta007
thanks so much for this 'lecture'. i have digested it,and will ask more questions as time goes on. Where exactly are you in Canada?

Thanks and i'll pass more Qs your way. kiss kiss
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by tipsy289(m): 6:52am On Feb 19, 2008
Hey Shapey thats nice you're relocating to Canada.I live in Ottawa/Hamilton and its really good here.Seems ur going to B.C which i cant say much about because i have not lived there but it is an international city(mostly asians though). Dont worry about the weather,in Vancouver you get more Rain than snow not like in Ontario.I'm sue you'll love it here, Cheers
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 19, 2008
Vancouver is a really nice place to be. The place is beautiful, good jobs and nice houses, low crime rate. Its the best place to be right now because the city will be hosting the Olympics in 2010 (Vancouver 2010), so theres lots of job and volunteer opportunities to help plan the event. Some of the job postings for my co-op this summer is in Vancouver and am looking forward to it. I live in Halifax but ill definitely be moving to B.C after.

cheers
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 7:06am On Feb 19, 2008
From Halifax to Vancouver undecided girl that is some move. . .7 hours time difference. tongue

Vancouver is booming alright, but rent is getting crazy, so are housing prices - the weather has been fantastic the last couple of days, not bad throughout winter at all. For someone looking to settle with a family though, you'll end up in the suburbs like Burnaby, Surrey and co if you want to afford rent/mortgage. The black population isn't too large and its 8 or 9 hours behind nigeria, so that takes getting used to as well.

Its also extraordinarily beautiful - mountains, the pacific and lovely weather all in one location. . .wish they had my kind of jobs there, then I wouldn't be leaving. sad

Research, research, research. Thats what you need to do. wink
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 7:13am On Feb 19, 2008
@ Debosky

I Know, Halifax to Vancouver is a long way, but i went from Hali to Calgary then B.C,

I like the fact that there is less black people there too, i like Victoria, its a really cool place
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 7:25am On Feb 19, 2008
Victoria?

Nah, its good to visit, but I wouldn't like to live with a bunch of rich white retirees. Was there last yr for the Naija soccer game.

I guess some people like the few black people thing. . .but it gets annoying after a while. Vancouver is lots of fun if you have some dough, plus there's a nudist beach there too if you roll that way grin grin
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 7:34am On Feb 19, 2008
LOL, no i dont roll that way, going to nudist beach is for u guys, grin, am sure u like that, well Halifax has too many black people and its really annoying expecially with the drama and the fighting, But in terms of entertainment i like Halifax. Well if i get my work term in vancouver, i have to move there anyway. Do u live in Canada?
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 7:43am On Feb 19, 2008
yes I do. . .Vancity is like home for me, but now I live in Ottawa, just came back to finish up some school business. Vancouver has entertainment as well if you hang with the right folk. . .make sure you check out Au bar the next time you're there. I frankly don't like the nude beach - too many men with big stomachs walking over the place. angry tongue The beaches around stanley park are much better. Are you in DAL? I have a friend who moved to Vancouver from there like 3 years ago.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 19, 2008
Yea ill be sure to hang out with the "right" people if i go there, cheesy Am not in Dal, am in mount saint vincent, the university with high rate of women compared to men, lol, Your in Ottawa huh, ive been there too and i like, there are some job postings for Ottawa as well for my summer work term so its another likely city. Whats the time in ottawa, isnt it past bedtime
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 8:01am On Feb 19, 2008
if ottawa is past bedtime. . .then you should be up already in Hali wink I'm probably leaving Ottawa soon too though cry moving to some small town called Peterborough, but I think I'll be here every other weekend, I need my social life. tongue

i'm actually in Vancouver right now, been here the past few days, so its still early over here. High ratio of women to men eh? Send me your addy. . .I think I need to take a vacation over there wink
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 8:08am On Feb 19, 2008
LOL, high rate of oyinbo women and some caribbean women too, ill send u the addy if u still interested, its my winter break so i can afford to stay up late, Nairaland is taking ma sleep time, Peterborough, is that in ontario too?,
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 9:36am On Feb 19, 2008
yes it is, about 90mins from Toronto. . .send me the address quick, man isn't getting any younger y'know tongue grin
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 12:31pm On Feb 19, 2008
I've learnt quite alot from this conversation guys. Muchbabe debosky is awaiting your reply.Tell me about private schools for my children pls. I like Vancouver too cos i hear the weather is okay. Are the private schools so expensive?
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 7:49pm On Feb 19, 2008
Muchbabe, u be Naija? Do I know u? How u go enta Hali without paying dues to the Mayor himself? Oya, identificate yourself sharp sharp!

@Amsky, Obviously, YHZ is one of my few bases in Canada.

@Debosky, u don jam olumo rock oh. grin I fit re-introduce u to Almond sha.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 7:55pm On Feb 19, 2008
amsky:

I've learnt quite alot from this conversation guys. Muchbabe debosky is awaiting your reply.Tell me about private schools for my children please. I like Vancouver too because i hear the weather is okay. Are the private schools so expensive?
Private schools are relatively expensive when compared to the free public schools. About 8% parents do send their kids to private schools but I don't see the point. In Canada, the standard of education is relatively even across the board but if u get extra money to burn sha, i fit resign my job and do private school with your pikins. At least, I get to work from home and muchbabe wont get to over work herself  grin
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 19, 2008
@ Debosky,
ill have to send u the address in private so i dont have a lot of people trooping into Halifax, grin

@Delta007
Of course am naija, so mr mayor where are u hiding because ive been in Hali since sept of 07. Am sure u dont know me, i dont go out much,
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 9:08pm On Feb 19, 2008
muchbabe:

@Delta007
Of course am naija, so mr mayor where are u hiding because ive been in Hali since sept of 07. Am sure u don't know me, i don't go out much,
Interesting! Meaning u've been owing since Sept? Well, that na 5mths interest ontop the hommage fee. Use msn?
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 19, 2008
grin homage fee, lol

yea i use msn,
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 11:21pm On Feb 19, 2008
@muchbabe,
What is it, if u dont mind?
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 1:37am On Feb 20, 2008
shocked
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by nkc(m): 6:13am On Feb 20, 2008
guys and gals,
pls am trying to move over to canada for my masters, but i have a 2.2 and a 2.9Gpa, the school i applied to, dal uni, said there cut off is 3.0gpa, pls i want to ask is there any school that can offer me admission with my degreee and gpa for masters in engineering

thank u
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Nobody: 6:55am On Feb 20, 2008
well since u tried dalhousie, u could check out saint mary's uni, mount allison, saint francis xavier, mount saint vincent, all the schools are located in Nova Scotia which is where dal is.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 1:52pm On Feb 20, 2008
@Nkc,
Based on your post, it's likely you are looking to do a M.Eng or Masters in Applied Science. To be honest, with a 2.9 GPA, it's going to be quite difficult (but it's not an impossibility) as those programs are quite competitive. You are very right. Dal will hardly take anyone less than 3.0. By the way, which discipline are you looking at? I can help you check around.

@Muchbabe,
Dal is the only university in Nova Scotia that offers you a Bachelors in Engineering and Postgrad Degrees in Engineering. The others you mentioned (except the Mt. ) will give you only a 2-yr Diploma in Engineering. Check ur msn wink
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by nkc(m): 2:46pm On Feb 20, 2008
@DELTA, thanks very much, i want to study petroleum engineering, and i studied civil engineering. thanks for d help, will expect yur response
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by landre: 2:49pm On Feb 20, 2008
@ poster

sorry i dont have answer to your questions but i think a lot of folks here have actually did but i want to know how long it take for your visa to get thru.cheers
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 2:57pm On Feb 20, 2008
nkc:

@DELTA, thanks very much, i want to study petroleum engineering, and i studied civil engineering. thanks for d help, will expect yur response
That's another tough one, especially since you do not have an upper class GPA. I'm guessing that even if and when you are admitted, you'd be required to do some undergrad courses in Petroleum or Chemical Engineering.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Flooding: Australian Government Warns Nationals Against Travelling To Nigeria / Rail Transportation Services To Resume Wednesday July 29, 2020 / Sorry State Of Umomi-anyigba Road In Kogi State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.