Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair (8615 Views)

Julia Pierson, US Secret Service Director, Resigns Under Pressure About Breaches / BREAKING! UK Minister Resigns Over Gaza Policy / C.I.A Director Resigns Over Extra-marital Affairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by lillaowow(m): 10:16pm On Nov 09, 2012
David Petraeus stepped down as the director of the CIA on Friday, citing an affair.

“After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable,
both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours,” he said in a statement.A retired U.S. Army general who served as the top

U.S. commander in Iraq and Afghanistan, Petraeus was sworn in as the head of the CIA in September 2011.

President Barack Obama accepted his resignation.

“By any measure, he was one of the outstanding general officers of his generation, helping our military adapt to new challenges, and leading our men and women in uniform through a remarkable period of service in Iraq and Afghanistan, where he helped our nation put those wars on a path to a responsible end,” the president said.

“As director of the Central Intelligence Agency, he has continued to serve with characteristic intellectual rigor, dedication and patriotism.”

Obama expressed confidence that the CIA will move forward under the direction of Acting Director Michael Morell.

Here’s Petraeus’ letter to the CIA staff:

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA.

After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours.

This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.

As I depart Langley, I want you to know that it has been the greatest of privileges to have served with you, the officers of our Nation’s Silent Service, a work force that is truly exceptional in every regard.

Indeed, you did extraordinary work on a host of critical missions during my time as director, and I am deeply grateful to you for that.

Teddy Roosevelt once observed that life’s greatest gift is the opportunity to work hard at work worth doing. I will always treasure my opportunity to have done that with you and I will always regret the circumstances that brought that work with you to an end.

Thank you for your extraordinary service to our country, and best wishes for continued success in the important endeavors that lie ahead for our
country and our Agency.

With admiration and appreciation,
David H. Petraeus

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/09/breaking-cias-petreaus-resigning/
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by vislabraye(m): 10:32pm On Nov 09, 2012
That's call intergrity. How many of our ministers have such xteristics?
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Agiliti(m): 10:38pm On Nov 09, 2012
first the secret service gets busted in Colombia, now it's the head of the CIA?...i thought their job is to do things in secret
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by lillaowow(m): 10:42pm On Nov 09, 2012
How convenient! Now he’s gonna miss
out on testifying before Congress about
the Benghazi affair! Bummer…What unfortunate timing! Darn!
It’s obvious that he’s being REMOVED
to protect the “official” spin of the
story. He can be thankful however that
they are allowing him to leave instead
of him turning up “suicided”!

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by lillaowow(m): 10:43pm On Nov 09, 2012
Agiliti: first the secret service gets busted in Colombia, now it's the head of the CIA?...i thought their job is to do things in secret

Imagine ooo.... If d director of d CIA get busted, he's indeed a security risk....
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by acidtalk: 7:31am On Nov 10, 2012
I was baffled when I heard it on the news.

Nigeria and Africa as a whole obviously have another millenium to get things right.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by ABUGEORGE(m): 7:40am On Nov 10, 2012
Dat is not d issue for now, pls tell me, how many of our govt will resign in dis our country naija even if u caught dem red handed, dis country is been destroyed by our politician. naija need change
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by dridowu: 7:41am On Nov 10, 2012
In Nigeria, resignation is not in our dictionary rather we go turn am into family heritage
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Smooyis(m): 7:44am On Nov 10, 2012
The Bible says righteousness exalts a nation. How true! Pray naija will get there someday

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Itoroetti(m): 7:48am On Nov 10, 2012
It can never happen in Nigeria.Dino Melaye impregnanted a nollywood star,the following week,he went on a protest about fuel subsidy probe

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 10, 2012
How are the mighty fallen. . .
2 Samuel 1:27

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 10, 2012
My beloved general, there's no honour in adultery but there's honour in realising a mistake done and correcting it.

2 Likes

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 10, 2012
These oyinbo people sef.

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by chukxy44(m): 8:15am On Nov 10, 2012
Wishing him the very best #Respect
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Burger01(m): 8:16am On Nov 10, 2012
Hmmm, see integrity. I trust my naija leaders, na die for office. God bless America..

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by slap1(m): 8:17am On Nov 10, 2012
BECAUSE OF 'ORDINARY AFFAIR'? Lol. Thumbs up, man!
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by agnesefe: 8:18am On Nov 10, 2012
Surely, this wasn’t an affair obtained in a two second quickie, let alone an investigation concluded in hours. Any blinder would know how well scripted all of this is-congressional hearing, a few days ahead; key staff-AG, Secretary of State, all in a race to turn in their exit notes, then this?

At least better than coming in a bag and suicide note-with a run for conspiracy theorists to feed on.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 10, 2012
America will always be America...
God bless America

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by PHIPEX(m): 8:32am On Nov 10, 2012
In my own country a Legislator was caught on video collecting bribe and several months after he is still trying to convince me that it was a set-up, needless to mention that he is still a sitting Legislator "making and amending laws". I almost forgot that our Police and the Judiciary are still searching for evidence to prosecute him and maybe our corruption fighting President has set-up a committee to help the Police search for evidence. My country's judicial syatem is a joke!

3 Likes

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 10, 2012
vislabraye: That's call intergrity. How many of our ministers have such xteristics?

Professor Barth Nnaji did such for reasons flimpsier than this.

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 10, 2012
Oyibo pipol sef.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by proo212(m): 9:08am On Nov 10, 2012
@lillaowow, you know what's up.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Agiliti(m): 9:09am On Nov 10, 2012
vislabraye: That's call intergrity. How many of our ministers have such xteristics?
do you even know what integrity is...the guy was being investigated by the FBI and they found he was cheating with his biographer/reporter who is married with two children. He was a good leader nevertheless but integrity has nothing to do with his resignation

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Reference(m): 9:48am On Nov 10, 2012
slap1: BECAUSE OF 'ORDINARY AFFAIR'? Lol. Thumbs up, man!

If the woman na mole nko?
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by bigtt76(f): 9:50am On Nov 10, 2012
What a reason to resign for! Thank God he's not a Nigeria ...we would have hearing all sort of denials, political and otherwise.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Reference(m): 9:55am On Nov 10, 2012
Agiliti:
do you even know what integrity is...the guy was being investigated by the FBI and they found he was cheating with his biographer/reporter who is married with two children. He was a good leader nevertheless but integrity has nothing to do with his resignation

It does because believe me as the Director of the CIA he has enough resources to neutralize all evidences. Integrity simply says 'go rather than resist it, its not worth it.'
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by omosexy1: 9:59am On Nov 10, 2012
PHIPEX: In my own country a Senator was caught on video collecting bribe and several months after he is still trying to convince me that it was a set-up, needless to mention that he is still a sitting Senator "making and amending laws". I almost forgot that our Police and the Judiciary are still searching for evidence to prosecute him and maybe our corruption fighting President has set-up a committee to help the Police search for evidence. My country's judicial syatem is a joke!

Farouk is not a senator - FYI

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by aieromon(m): 10:00am On Nov 10, 2012
We will get there someday.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 10, 2012
@times,I get confused with the thinking of whites.
He cheated. He regrets it. He must still resign.
What has cheating got to do wit his job? Except the guilt is disturbing him and he cannot discharge his duties effectively.

In Naija, cheating is nt a crime for politicians and ppl of dt calibre, infact, there is budget/allocation for that -utilities. For every function, there must be utility from d nearest hottest campus.
If sumone can resign for such reason, what are d ppl dt failed to fulfil their electoral campaign waiting for?
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Agiliti(m): 10:11am On Nov 10, 2012
Reference:

It does because believe me as the Director of the CIA he has enough resources to neutralize all evidences. Integrity simply says 'go rather than resist it, its not worth it.'

Integrity: The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness
he might have left out of shame, or from his political opponents muscling him out, or even from something that we do not know about but integrity has nothing to do with it.

this is a guy some were saying might be president one day. even if he was a saint, do you think a man with the power to neutralize all evidence would jeopardize his political future, and his 37 year old marriage on some integrity b.s?
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by vanstanzy(m): 10:28am On Nov 10, 2012
Now that's INTEGRITY. Besides USs' major fear is that if he doesn't resign, his extra-marital affair can be used as a blackmail against him into compromising his position and rubbishing the CIA. Good move! But see what damage ADULTERY can cause. Remember, same happened to Pres. Clinton, and he was almost cut-off.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by PHIPEX(m): 10:29am On Nov 10, 2012
omosexy1:

Farouk is not a senator - FYI
Correction noted.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / Photos: Heavy U.S Military Equipments Arrives Germany Against Russian. / Sa's New Visa Rules Spark Outcry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.