Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,468 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

What Is Your Attitude/opinion Concerning African Arts And Handicrafts - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Your Attitude/opinion Concerning African Arts And Handicrafts (1123 Views)

The Second World Black And African Festival Of Arts And Culture (FESTAC 77) / That Attitude When You Enter A Canteen To Chop (pics) / University Of Nigeria Professor Of Arts Work Sells 11.4M at Ikoyi Auction! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Attitude/opinion Concerning African Arts And Handicrafts by ibis: 9:46am On Nov 10, 2012
Hello, ive had an African Interior decor store for about a year now (www.facebook.com/itobys) and have mixed reviews on it. I started my business because i have a deep love for anything African. Im intrigued by the skill and expertise that goes into the creation of such beautiful pieces. I sell artwork, carvings, hosehold, cloths, shoes, fabrics, beads.. The whole range and i offer ethnic interior decorating services ie i come and transform your home if you want an African theme.

The issue is i am a serious christian and have been questioned severally about why i promote 'juju'. Im told that most other people in the culture promoting industry are into ifa or oshun worship and a child of God has no business being in it because carvings normally have spirits which are invoked into them.

What is your opinion? Do you like African art and handicrafts? Do you think it is wrong to delve into this area as a christian? Are there certain no go areas?

I dont kow if this should be in culture or the religion sector. Topic is intertwined.

Thanks.
Re: What Is Your Attitude/opinion Concerning African Arts And Handicrafts by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:53am On Nov 10, 2012
just ditch the man-worship/christianity and go worship the true Gods (Obatala, Shango ,etc.). then no one will questin you. problem solved.
Re: What Is Your Attitude/opinion Concerning African Arts And Handicrafts by ibis: 1:26pm On Nov 10, 2012
@ pagan 9ja how old are you again?
Re: What Is Your Attitude/opinion Concerning African Arts And Handicrafts by ifyalways(f): 1:52pm On Nov 10, 2012
ibis: @ pagan 9ja how old are you again?
Hehe. This guide and my boys would sooo think I've lost it cos I'm laughing so hard.

@topic, I love African arts. So very much. I'm yet to check/click on your links but if you are in lagos, you might need to visit and network with positive and very open minded folks @ the terra culture VI and Nike art centre.

Don't let confused souls get you with their ignorant rants, there's definitely nothing "religiously or spiritually wrong" with making, selling or buying African artifacts.

If you however wanna throw dem away, I'll be more than willing to have it ALL. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is Your Attitude/opinion Concerning African Arts And Handicrafts by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:40pm On Nov 10, 2012
ibis: @ pagan 9ja how old are you again?

i dont know. my parents never recorded my birthdate.
Re: What Is Your Attitude/opinion Concerning African Arts And Handicrafts by ibis: 10:11pm On Nov 10, 2012
@ifyalways thumbs up. Fantastic advice!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Ethnic Groups To Watch Out For / Meet Oba Raimi Adeoti Akolade Agboluaje (olomu Efon II) The New Olomu Of Omu-ara / The Unique Dance Step In Tiv Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.