Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today (1403 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? / Lack Of Manners In Churches These Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by ollystic: 10:34pm On Nov 10, 2012
Why Do Ladies Find it so Difficult to Cover their Hair With Head-tie or What have they During a Church Service , Was that Biblical Version That Ladies should Cover their Head Not For the ladies of Today's World ?? Even In Those Days Jesus Covers His Head While praying let alone the ladies of Today With their Mermaid hairs all Around the House Of God ... Pls I want Meaningful Contributions ..Thank you .
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 10, 2012
Do you go to church to worship god or look at women's hair?

What concerns you with their hair?
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by emorse(m): 1:01am On Nov 11, 2012
You must have come across the part of the bible that says the woman's hair serves as covering for her head. Why have you chosen to ignore it?
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Joagbaje(m): 1:32am On Nov 11, 2012
ollystic: Why Do Ladies Find it so Difficult to Cover their Hair With Head-tie

The covering of the bible days was not scarf ,head tie , berret or hanky. It was total covering of the entire head. And it was a customary thing not a spiritual thing so to say. It's a marital issue .its for only married women. To show their submission to their husban in public places

, Was that Biblical Version That Ladies should Cover their Head Not For the ladies of Today's World ??

Ladies in our world today use wedding ring to show the authority of the husband over their lives .but those days it was head covering for married women . In India it's a red Dot on the forehead.

Even In Those Days Jesus Covers His Head While praying let alone the ladies of Today With their Mermaid hairs all Around the House Of God ... Pls I want Meaningful Contributions ..Thank you .

The covering of a mans face was to show his submission to God , (shamefacedness. That has been done away in christ.

If a man cover his face before God now it's a disgrace to the honor of God upon him

1 Corinthians 11:4
Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

Her head is her husband

1 Corinthians 11:5
And that is why a woman who publicly prays or prophesies without a covering on her head dishonors her husband, for her covering is a sign of her subjection to him.

So it's a customary thing not a spiritual thing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by tobechi74: 1:44am On Nov 11, 2012
Haw du u expect a girl who spend 30,00
on her hair to cover am. She has to display it 4 d whole world to see

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Image123(m): 11:55am On Nov 11, 2012
@op
the head tie is too heavy for them, or they don't believe it.

@Jo
not you again. that's so wrong na.
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Joagbaje(m): 2:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
Image123: @op
@Jo
not you again. that's so wrong na.

Enlightened me na. I teach what I know . If you have contrary view pls explain. At least I quoted from holy bibeli

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
Joagbaje:

Enlightened me na. I teach what I know . If you have contrary view pls explain. At least I quoted from holy bibeli

Agbaje of Joseph,

The biblical quotes refer to women and their husbands and so it doesnt apply to;

-single women
-Women whose husbands allow it
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Image123(m): 12:45am On Nov 12, 2012
Joagbaje:

The covering of the bible days was not scarf ,head tie , berret or hanky. It was total covering of the entire head. And it was a customary thing not a spiritual thing so to say. It's a marital issue .its for only married women. To show their submission to their husban in public places
The covering of the head by the woman was not just a customary thing, but a biblical thing. A godly thing.

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoreth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
1Co 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Head covering is BECAUSE OF THE ANGELS, not only/just because of custom/tradition. It is not limited. Angels are everywhere and in every generation. Head covering is symbolic of submission. There is nothing archaic about symbols. Water baptism is symbolic of something deeper, so also is Holy Communion. It becometh us to fulfill all righteousness.
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by emorse(m): 10:16pm On Nov 12, 2012
[quote author=Image123]
The covering of the head by the woman was not just a customary thing, but a biblical thing. A godly thing.

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoreth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
1Co 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Head covering is BECAUSE OF THE ANGELS, not only/just because of custom/tradition. It is not limited. Angels are everywhere and in every generation. Head covering is symbolic of submission. There is nothing archaic about symbols. Water baptism is symbolic of something deeper, so also is Holy Communion. It becometh us to fulfill all righteousness.
[quote]

1 Corinthians 11:15
But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
Can you shed some light on this please?
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by SisiKill1: 10:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
ollystic: Why Do Ladies Find it so Difficult to Cover their Hair With Head-tie or What have they During a Church Service , Was that Biblical Version That Ladies should Cover their Head Not For the ladies of Today's World ?? Even In Those Days Jesus Covers His Head While praying let alone the ladies of Today With their Mermaid hairs all Around the House Of God ... Pls I want Meaningful Contributions ..Thank you .

With everything plaguing the church and Christians today. . .this is what you are worrying about?! You need prayers. undecided

Since even Jesus covered his head while praying, why are you bothered about women alone? Last checked Jesus was male, so why aren't the men covering their heads too?
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Joagbaje(m): 1:04am On Nov 13, 2012
Image123:

The question here is "WHO IS HER HEAD ". Is it christ? Is it head head or husband ? If you check the context it's her husband she dishonor .

Head covering is BECAUSE OF THE ANGELS, not only/just because of custom/tradition. It is not limited. Angels are everywhere and in every generation. Head covering is symbolic of submission. .

"Because of the angels" has to with submission to husband. Angels will resist a woman who doesnt submit to husband authority. Because angels back up every Authority. Husband, parenth ,government etc.

So it has to do with respect to the husband . Look at it in another translation

1 Corinthians 11:10
Therefore she should [be subject to his authority and should] have a covering on her head [as a token, a symbol, of her submission to authority, that she may show reverence as do] the angels [and not displease them].

Another question we might ask is. What of those who don't have husbands? Is there a different rule for them? God is not a partial God. Single ladies were not referred to as women, it's married omen that are called such so the matter is a marital issue remember Pail was dealing with DISSORDER . Women were becoming disrespectful in Corinth. Some tries to be domineering and usurping authority . Those were the things Paul was correcting.
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by ollystic: 8:47am On Nov 13, 2012
@Sis Kill , I Know Your Problem , The Stuffs Plaguing the Church Today Started From Somewhere and it Can be Addressed One After the Other ..,I Know You Don't Cover your Head to Church and the Truth is Bitter when Told , You better change for the Best before Its Too late .. Our Mothers Never uncovered their heads then in the Church But all in the name of Civilization we Do things the Other Way Round and Women are the 85% cause of the Upside turn-around of the world today like it has been from ages in the Days Of Adam and Eve . There are some Churches You go Today , You will never find a Single lady not covering her head , Well i a not Surprise at all these churches Who Don't See anything bad in it , it has been Said , when the end time is near diff prophets will spring up .. May God help and Direct Our ways , Did i hear you say Amen Sis kill ?? Lol ...

@Joagbaje and Image123 , I Really applaud you guys For your Comments , But the Head that was Meant in that Scripture By Paul Was Not the husband , Looking from the Angle of Women Who are Not married , You Never found them Not covering their Heads or was any Account giving about single Women Not covering their Heads . So its Important and Not even Now when you Have mermaid hairs Around Town ... May God Help Us !!!
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by WOHG: 1:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
1Corinthians 11:7: For a man indeed ought not to cover his head,forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
This is the reason the Holy Spirit says that women in worship are to wear a head covering and men are not to wear a head covering. It has nothing to do with fashion. It has nothing to do with modest dress. It
has nothing to do with cultural norms. It has everything to do with glorifying God and Jesus Christ, His beloved Son. The man is the glory of God. When we assemble together, God’s glory is to appear and not
be covered. The woman is the glory of man. Thus, man’s glory (the woman) should be covered so as not to detract from God’s glory.

1 Corinthians 11:10: For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
This verse has caused all kinds of conjecture. It is best to take it as naturally as possible. The Greek word translated “power” in this verse is exousian. Although it is often translated as "power" in the King
James Version, its sense is that of "authority." For example, in Mark 2:10-11, Jesus said, “But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power [exousian] on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up they bed, and go thy way into thine house.” Jesus had the authority to forgive sins. And, in John 19:11, Jesus said to Pilate, “Thou couldest have no power [exousian] at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he
that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.” Luke 9:1 should settle the meaning of exousian: "Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power [dunamis] and authority [exousian] over all devils, and to cure diseases." Here we see that the proper Greek word to translate as "power" is dunamis; exousian is "authority." The head covering, then, is the symbol that woman is under man’s authority and by his authority participates (silently) in the public worship. The head covering shows that she has a rightful place in the assembly.

Why because of the angels? Again, we should let the Bible interpret this as best we can. That the angels are witnesses of what the church is doing is shown in such verses as 1 Corinthians 4:9, Ephesians 3:10,
and 1 Timothy 5:21. In Isaiah 6:1-2, we see a picture of angels (seraphim) who covered their faces in the presence of God. As they cover their faces so that only the glory of God’s face shows, so women in worship are to cover their heads so that only God’s glory (man)
shows.

Hence, it is not the culture that the head covering is supposed to speak to. It has meaning to the angels who are present in our public worship. Because the relationship of the man to the woman shows the
relationship of Christ to the church, the head covering shows the subjection of the church to Christ. The angels, who are under a similar subjection, and show it by covering their faces when in God’s presence at His throne, are witnesses of whether the women in a church are following this order. The assembly shows its submission to Christ (or lack of it) by observing (or not observing) the head covering instructions.

For more on this topic please visit http://www.wordofhisgrace.org/headcovering.htm)
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by ParisLove2(f): 7:09pm On Nov 13, 2012
1 Corinthians 11:15 >>

New International Version (©1984)
but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

New Living Translation (©2007)
And isn't long hair a woman's pride and joy? For it has been given to her as a covering.

English Standard Version (©2001)
but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

American King James Version
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

American Standard Version
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by emorse(m): 7:56am On Nov 14, 2012
MR. OLLYSTIC, CAN YOU SHED SOME LIGHT ON 1 COR. 11:15 PLS?!!!
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Image123(m): 12:10pm On Nov 14, 2012
@Jo
The question here is "WHO IS HER HEAD ". Is it christ? Is it head head or husband ? If you check the context it's her husband she dishonor .
The context well says what her head is, brother. Her head is her head. And she ought to cover it. Her covering her physical head is symbolic of her submission to divine order. Its usually a question of pride. If not, try asking some of them to cover their head. It is very hard, and a big deal for them, except they want to do it for vogue/fashion, and not out of the motive of obedience and submission.

1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

If you carry on the line of head=husband, what is to be shorn/shaven? Her husband? WHAT is her head is the question if there is need for such a question that has an obvious answer. She dishonours God when she uncovers her head when praying because her glory ought to be covered.

"Because of the angels" has to with submission to husband. Angels will resist a woman who doesnt submit to husband authority. Because angels back up every Authority. Husband, parenth ,government etc.

So it has to do with respect to the husband . Look at it in another translation

1 Corinthians 11:10
Therefore she should [be subject to his authority and should] have a covering on her head [as a token, a symbol, of her submission to authority, that she may show reverence as do] the angels [and not displease them].
You may look it up in all the translations, its saying what i've said. that a woman ought to cover her head. That covering id a symbol, a token, like the translation you offered says, and like i earlier said. It is symbolic, like baptism and communion are symbolic of something more real and spiritual in God's eyes. The point is that angels are involves, therefore it is not just a cultural issue, or dispensational issue.

Another question we might ask is. What of those who don't have husbands? Is there a different rule for them? God is not a partial God. Single ladies were not referred to as women, it's married omen that are called such so the matter is a marital issue remember Pail was dealing with DISSORDER . Women were becoming disrespectful in Corinth. Some tries to be domineering and usurping authority . Those were the things Paul was correcting.
Wrong question. If it is only addressing the married, why are you not teaching married females to cover their head? You are the one placing this assumption that the verse is only for married folks. The scripture places no such assumption. A woman may be unmarried or married. You do not have to be married to be called a woman. Ever heard this phrase 'married woman' before? duh. The writer makes references to women in general, just men is used in general to mean all male, even sometimes its more general to mean all humans.
Rom 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
The woman which hath an husband. A woman may also have no husband.

1Co 7:1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
A woman in this passage refers to both married or unmarried. It is not good for a man to touch a woman, whether married or unmarried. i wonder where you got this definition of a woman to be a married female.

1Co 7:34 There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
See that? THE UNMARRIED WOMAN, enough said ihope. Note that i've quoted from the same Paul and the same book. Single ladies can be referred to as women.
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by slimming: 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2012
Stop going round with the issue of covering of hair, Heaven is about salvation.
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Image123(m): 12:24pm On Nov 14, 2012
emorse: 1 Corinthians 11:15
Can you shed some light on this please?
What needs to be said has already been said from verses 1 to 14. Verse 15 is not a get away card from the other verses. 'for her hair is given her for a covering' is not exactly the same thing as 'for her hair is given her as a covering'. If her hair is given to her as a covering, to cover the man's glory, the same verse refutes that basis. The verse says that her hair is her glory. It's rubbish for her to use her glory(her hair) to cover the glory of the man(her head)[using the get away clause team's line of reasoning]. Why cover the glory of the man and leave your own glory uncovered? Her hair is given to her for her to cover it. If she does not want to cover it, let her shave it off. What will be shaven off, is it not the hair, is it the head? Why do people play smart with such simple statements.
1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
(BBE) For if a woman is not veiled, let her hair be cut off; but if it is a shame to a woman to have her hair cut off, let her be veiled.

(CEV) A woman should wear something on her head. It is a disgrace for a woman to shave her head or cut her hair. But if she refuses to wear something on her head, let her cut off her hair.

(GNB) If the woman does not cover her head, she might as well cut her hair. And since it is a shameful thing for a woman to shave her head or cut her hair, she should cover her head.
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by Image123(m): 12:25pm On Nov 14, 2012
slimming: Stop going round with the issue of covering of hair, Heaven is about salvation.
And who said heaven is not about salvation? Do you have more annointing or Holy Ghost or more holiness or more salvation than the write of 1Corinthians 11?
Re: Why Do Ladies Find It So Difficult To Cover Their Hair In Churches Today by SisiKill1: 5:01pm On Nov 14, 2012
ollystic: @Sis Kill , I Know Your Problem , The Stuffs Plaguing the Church Today Started From Somewhere and it Can be Addressed One After the Other ..,I Know You Don't Cover your Head to Church and the Truth is Bitter when Told , You better change for the Best before Its Too late .. Our Mothers Never uncovered their heads then in the Church But all in the name of Civilization we Do things the Other Way Round and Women are the 85% cause of the Upside turn-around of the world today like it has been from ages in the Days Of Adam and Eve . There are some Churches You go Today , You will never find a Single lady not covering her head , Well i a not Surprise at all these churches Who Don't See anything bad in it , it has been Said , when the end time is near diff prophets will spring up .. May God help and Direct Our ways , Did i hear you say Amen Sis kill ?? Lol ...

LMFAO! What is bitter about telling people they should be covering their hair?!! Seriously dude, you need prayers. . .look at the way you think so highly of yourself you actually believe you have some bitter truth to tell. cheesy cheesy

So all the issues plaguing the church starts from somewhere, yeah? And women not covering their hair might be one of the reasons. . .it is the reason why pastors are more focused on prosperity than the salvation abi?

If women cover their hair we will no longer have greedy pastors, we won't have a congregation that believes you can bribe your way into the heart of God.

Oh! Oh! I know, as soon as women start covering their hair, all the zexsual perversions, pastors having sex with church members, Priests sleeping with little boys etc will come to a complete stop!

By Josh Dude, you have done it! You have found the solution to save us all from ourselves!

Hey wait a minute, are you a divine being because this is Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant!! cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim / How The Passover Reveals Jesus Christ / Of Paul And James

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.