Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,695 members, 7,823,954 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? (1623 Views)

Nairaland School Of Programming / Foundations Of Programming: Fundamentals / Having Consistent Headaches Because Of Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by taiwoaigor(m): 11:41pm On Apr 19, 2006
Programmers Pick Your Poison

Hi all, i know each one of us have got various aspect of programming we all have certain problems maybe some liitle less formal aproach to it(support form other naialanders) can help solve it.

Java
Ok i always have problem whenever it comes to array and GUI in java am not really sure what my problem is. For arrays i get myself so much confused that i have to leave the programm for dyas then come back to it when i feel a little bit better my problem of arrays goes for all programming langs i do (php,c++) etc

Then programming GUIs in java i think my major problem is not having a truly clear undrestanding of how oop works and how they are called i tried several approach to this but no sucess yet i even had to read all i can on UML but my guy i still dey puzzle oh embarassed

For packaging too i have minor problems. Also post your poison here and we see what we can do about it.
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by Seun(m): 1:13am On Apr 20, 2006
Oh, I hate debugging so much. It's bad enough that sometimes it takes hours to complete a small program, but isn't it really annoying when a program that took 30 minutes to initially write takes several hours to complete because of some minor bugs?

The worst kind of bugs are runaway pointers and memory leaks in C/C++. Typographical errors in dynamic/scripting languages like PHP can also be difficult to track down when they don't trigger parsing errors but affect your results. That's the cost of flexibility.

In summary, I hate having to spend hours debugging a simple program; it makes me feel unproductive. That must be my own poison. for that reason alone, I'm going to be working with freelancing programmers a lot.
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by Nobody: 2:21am On Apr 20, 2006
I hate the fact that my Java apps can never be installed such that the user can simply "dblclick on an icon" - you have to use a loader exe, a batch file or "java" on the commandline.

I hate it when i get linking errors in C++ and the debugger offers no help.

I hate having to document the app after development - i'm lazy about that.
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by my2cents(m): 2:55am On Apr 20, 2006
What always gives me problems in JAVA is the infamous NullPointerException. No matter how thoroughly I think my logic through, it always seems to show itself. Abi na naija air forces? grin
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by tju38: 9:09am On Apr 20, 2006
I've never been too happy with Java I/O, but I don't have to use it much (except FileInputStream).

Is anybody here into J2EE? That's where the Java big guns play cool
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by c0dec(m): 7:31pm On Apr 20, 2006
DirectX is a mess!
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by Tetris(f): 10:40am On Apr 21, 2006
Hm.
Well, does trying to get MySQL to talk to PHP on my system(, keeps asking to be upgraded) count for "Programmer with a poison" cos actually i specialize in stealing codes and believe that as i get used to the syntax mebbe one i'll actually string a program all of my own wink
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by skima(m): 3:30pm On Apr 21, 2006
Dont just gather codes but try to disect and know more.

Get ur mysql_connect(); function right so u can connect peacefully.

its not hard.

e.g mysql_connect("localhost","root_user","root_pas"wink;

dat does it.
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by my2cents(m): 3:41pm On Apr 21, 2006
Skima, not to direct this towards you, but everyone who likes to say "It's not hard":

I have always hated it when people say that. Maybe it's just that I have a slow brain. Just becuase it isn't hard for A doesn't mean it shouldn't be hard for B. What is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. From my work/personal experience, it tends to make pple fold up and not ask any questions. In the end, the person doesn't want to ask anyone anything and becomes inwardly frustrated. Such pple usually end up dumping coding.

When someone asks me a question which I consider trivial, I always think back to when I first came in contact with a computer and couldn't even turn it on. That makes the person relax and usually learn more.

Again, not a bash Skima et al. Just a word of advice. We are not all smart at everthing. Just because the guy could not figure it out doesn't mean he wouldn't be saying "It isn't hard" to you with respect to another of life's endaveours.

That's my 2 cents,
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by Bossman(m): 4:13pm On Apr 21, 2006
At one point or another we will all experience some problem with whatever language we are using.

tju38 asked if anyone is into J2EE programming: Yes, I have been developing enterprise web applications for the past 7 years. Of course, J2EE encompases several technologies, and it's almost impossible to touch on everything. I develop using servlets, JSP, some EJB (actually converting them to straight DAO calls). Currently, where I am we use the struts framework. I also used a propeitary variation of it at a previous client. We use several patterns such as DAO, Facade, anad obviously MVC.

Java is a pure Object Oriented Language. And, one really has to always think in terms of objects. This is somewhat diffeent from procedural languages such as COBOL and C. But, once one gets a good grasp of the OOP principles (a very good book with lots examples will help there), then the rest is just a matter of practice and contionuous learning. It's very important to code, test, and practice as much as possible. Doing that will expose you to a lot of problems such as the common Null Pointer Exception (NPE), and how to avoid it.
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by pssword: 6:47pm On Apr 21, 2006
I hate, hate and hate it very much when I compile and run code on the emulator usually with vsudio and it works, then when I run it on the darn hardware it doesn't work or I get all sorts of timing problems or worse still it works on one chipset and not another. Thread locks arrhhhhh, . Casting up types 8bit ints to 16bit ints, infact casting as in general has caused me enough wahala from mem leaks, object slicing to mem fragmentation, I could go on and on, I'm beginning to wonder wether I like this work sef :-(
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by HNENRI(m): 6:34pm On Apr 23, 2006
using VB 4 a webpage Gives me alot of problems hope u guy's will help me out
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by 2nde(m): 5:03am On Apr 25, 2006
The part i enjoy most is building the GUI, coding any programming language can be very redious sometimes that you will be looking at it for like ten times and you still dont find anything wrong.
Here is a clue:
Whenever you think all your codes are well written, type the command that you think is giving you problem in a "Fine and Replace" dialogue box, then use it to replace all the command you've typed, try it again for all other ones, it has helped me a couple of times to get somethings i've never seen was wrong.
Also, try to be running your programm when you have some line-up codes already before you get too far.
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by Zahymaka(m): 8:48pm On Apr 25, 2006
Debugging, memory management and working with other developers
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by IG: 7:09pm On May 05, 2006
What I hate most is writing user documentation. It's such a boring thing to do.
And without it most programs are difficult to use.
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by Zahymaka(m): 7:28pm On May 05, 2006
Me too -- I'm also a very bad "commentator."
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by nwaigboannoying: 5:03am On Jul 03, 2006
BUGS BUGS BUGS, I hate it when you write your program thinking oh yeah I got it now only to find out it don't work,
On the other hand I like debugging my program because it helps me learn more, So it's all good.
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by parosky(m): 8:54am On Jul 03, 2006
I hate bugs in program. You put on you computer to spend hours debbugging, got frustrated, power down to go and relax and find yourself thinking of where the problem is. Your wife's talking to you and all you are seeing is your code module. She noticed you've not been paying attention to her and asked what you're thinking about. You dare not say it's your code that is not working. After spending like 8 hours at the computer you can't even listen to her for 2 minutes with any attention at all.

I hate writting comments too.
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by smartsoft(m): 7:07pm On Jul 03, 2006
i hate when i write program and everything i taught have written is kinda correct, cos to you it seems you right and at the end of the day you run the so called script and it tells you error on line whatever whatever, hummm it's really a pain in my ass
Re: What Aspect Of Programming Gives You Problems? by turbo: 5:28pm On Sep 29, 2006
hi this my first time. i hate the deployment aspect of vb.net, especially when i have to deploy a database application.

(1) (Reply)

Fingerprint Recognition Application / Please Does Any One Know Aw To Create A School Portal With Word Press Or Joomla / After Few Weeks Of Kotlin And Material Design Training, I Launched This App!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.