Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,280 members, 7,867,746 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 11:13 PM

The Real Cost Of Discipleship - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Real Cost Of Discipleship (575 Views)

Evangelism Vs. Discipleship- ( 1) / TRUE LOVE , Proof Of Discipleship (john 13:34, 35) / Your Responsibility In Discipleship – Pastor Chris (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Discipleship by yommyuk: 10:30am On Nov 11, 2012
In the book of Luke 14:25-34, we read that a large crowd of people were following Jesus. To a natural man, this is encouraging. However, to Jesus Christ, this was not an opportunity to tell people what they want to hear, but what they NEED to hear.

So what did Jesus Christ tell them?

Firstly, Christ is not an entertainer, but our Lord and Saviour. He came not to seek popularity but to transform sinners.
Secondly, Christ does not seek those who make rushed and emotional decisions. He wants those who want to follow him to think seriously and count the cost. It is no mere feat.

Luke 14:28
“But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it?”

To become a disciple of Christ requires a lifetime commitment. Before we embark on it, we should know what we are letting ourselves in for. It is a matter of putting Christ before family and self.

Luke 14:26
“If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison – your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters – Yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.”

HABA!
What about the 5th Commandment that said we should honour our mother and father? What about the law of Christ that said we should love God and our neighbours as ourselves? Literally speaking, this is not what Christ means. What he is demanding is for us to make him our FIRST LOVE. If the need arises where we have to choose between family and Christ. When we choose Christ, this may come across as if we hate family.

Example: Are you ready to give up a family inheritance for the cross? Are you ready to make such decision?

Luke 14:27
“And if you do not carry YOUR OWN cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple.”

Are you still ready?

During the time of Christ on earth, the Cross was a symbol of ‘DEATH AND EXECUTION’

Are you ready to face death and execution for Christ and bear the cross? Do you really know the cost of following Christ? Have you considered the pros and cons?

Luke 14:29-30
“Otherwise, you might complete only the foundation before running out of money, and then everyone will laugh at you. They would say, “There’s is that person who started that building and couldn’t afford to finish it.”

May that not be our portion in Jesus name – Amen !!!!!!!

It is both wasteful and embarrassing to start a project and not be able to finish it. There is no point in starting a Christian journey if we don’t finish it. To do that, we need to be ready for the challenges ahead of us.
Key statement: ‘READY FOR THE CHALLENGES’

A boxer who wanted to face Mike Tyson during his heyday, but does not go to the gym to train and be prepared, will find himself turned into a boxing bag. The same is with following Christ.There is a brand of gospel in the world that says, when you follow Christ, you will be spared bereavement, physical, emotional or financial suffering. This can be no further from the truth. A lie from the pit of hell.

John 16:33
“I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows, but take heart, because I have overcome the world."

We shall overcome the world in Jesus mighty name. Amen!!!!!!!

Are you ready for the battle ahead?

Luke 14:31
“Or what King would go to war against another king without first sitting down with his counsellors to discuss whether his army of 10,000 could defeat the 20,000 soldiers marching against him?”

To do so is foolish and unwise. Life is a battle. It is warfare. We can never achieve full victory until we count the cost of victory. In the accounting profession, there is recognition that for every sale made, there is a cost of sale. You either buy to resell or manufacture it. But you will incur a COST.

Luke 14:34
“Salt is good for seasoning. But if it loses its flavour, how do you make it salty again? Flavourless salt is good neither for the soil nor for the manure pile. It is thrown away."

KEYWORDS: FLAVOUR AND FLAVOURLESS!

In Jesus Christ day, before the advent of refrigeration, salt was used a preservative. So a disciple of Christ must be ready to be a preservative against the corruption in the world. Wherever you find yourself, preserve the WILL OF GOD. If you refuse to do so because of pressure, you will gradually lose your flavour and become corrupted by the world. This is what is happening to the so called men of God. Because of fame and riches that the world offers them, they compromise. They gradually lose their flavour. They become worthless to the body of Christ. They become an empty shell and seek powers from other means.............. and ............. hmmm. The church must be the conscience of the nation. (another topic)

CONCLUSION

There is a cost to bear before one can be a disciple of our Lord Jesus Christ. However, fret not, there is also a profit to make, which is the CROWN OF LIFE.
That cost may mean death to life on earth or the goodies of the earth fret not, you will gain ETERNAL LIFE.
What profited a man to gain the world and lose his soul!
There was a German pastor called Dietrich Bonhoeffer. He wrote a famous book called “The cost of discipleship.” In his own experience during the World War 2, he took a stand against the NAZIS and got hung for his efforts. However, he did not see this as a loss or regard his life as wasted. In his final letter, he wrote, “THIS IS THE END, BUT FOR ME, - THE BEGINING OF LIFE.
Are you still willing to bear the cross? If you are, Christ said “I will never leave you or forsake you”

Luke 14:35
“Anyone with ears should listen and understand!”

God bless!
wink
Re: The Real Cost Of Discipleship by Snowwy: 2:15pm On Nov 11, 2012
@Yommyuk,
Thanks for this message. Very reflective.

1 Like

Re: The Real Cost Of Discipleship by yommyuk: 8:17pm On Nov 11, 2012
U'R WELCOME wink

(1) (Reply)

What Makes One Bad??? / Who Are The People Trying To Deceive If Possible, Even The Elect? / New Pope Emerges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.