Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,306 members, 7,819,040 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! (1442 Views)

The type of wedding ceremony most acceptable by GOD. / Photo Of A Ram With 5 Horns - Is It Acceptable For Sallah? / Any Biblical Proof That Suicide Is A Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 02, 2008
<<It’s the act with which an individual deliberately puts an end to their life. Among the various factors that contribute to suicide, these can be found: depression accompanied by solitude, isolation and absence of a supportive social net; drug-addiction; presence of psychiatric pathologies>>.

The first right recognized by the State to man is the right to live. Being a right, it could be thought that a man can choose to make use of it or not, but the matter is more complicated than it seems. Cicero wrote: “Men should remember that he wasn’t born for himself, but for his country and his family”; and this strengthens my idea that an individual’s life is not solely theirs, but as a citizen they have duties towards their country.

Cato was placed in purgatory by Dante, because according to him and to many of his contemporaries, his act of putting an end to his life was to be considered heroic as he didn’t want to subject himself to Caesar’s tyranny. Freedom of conscience is also a right conceded by the State to every citizen, but is it really worth giving up the most important thing we have to protect our ideologies? Ideologies that come and go, that change continuously, are put in front of the only thing that it’s once lost, can’t be regained again. It’s clear that the price paid by Cato to keep his conscience intact is more valuable than what was really necessary.

When you die, you are deprived of that thing that puts a man on higher level as regards to other humans: thoughts. Aristle imagined a God who had the only occupation of thinking for it was the only thing that allowed him to maintain his perfection. He also wrote that thinking was the supreme activity that made man what he is- We are “rational animals” and to be that we have to have our reason and to have a reason and to use it, we must live. “Life is our reason”: if we deprive ourselves of it, we degrade ourselves to beats.

Around an individual there is a family, a community and a State that resent the loss: not economical nor political, but social. We are the society, so, if an element that constitutes it misses, the State also misses it.

In this world dominated by social individualism, someone could say: “The life is his; let him do whatever he wants with it”. But can this someone, who states this, dare hurt himself? I am not able to give an answer. However I can make a consideration that occurs most times: this same person shall be the first to feel disgusted at the death of a suicidal. There is an ethical hypocrisy that hides under this absurd individualism.

In this society dominated by the selfish “I”, important values are lost everyday, but if there is one that should never change, because what is sustains is always and only that and it doesn’t depend on other factors, is that of life. It’s necessary to have it to live like humans, it’s necessary we conserve it to transmit it to the future generation, it’s necessary we are conscious of it as a respect to the laws that guarantee it for us.

When someone feels like he has arrived to the end, beyond which they can’t go and then they think there is no way out, they should stop and think. You are never useless in this world; the fact that you exist is already a great contribution, but it’s not enough. To be what we are, living beings, we have to live.
Re: Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! by amsky(m): 7:13pm On Feb 02, 2008
cut and paste.
Re: Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! by Nobody: 11:24pm On Feb 02, 2008
amsky:

cut and paste.

You may be a professional in cutting and pasting but sorry I am not your partner in crime.
Unlike you I have my own mind and use it reason quite well.

If you doubt I was the one who wrote it then I guess it must be very well written. Thanks for your indirect compliment. cool
Re: Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! by Nobody: 7:12am On Feb 03, 2008
I hope you are preaching to your fellow atheists who are always screaming into my ears such selfish lines like "it's my life, it's my body, I can do whatever I please with it."
Re: Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! by Logical(m): 10:52am On Feb 03, 2008
stillwater:

I hope you are preaching to your fellow atheists who are always screaming into my ears such selfish lines like "it's my life, it's my body, I can do whatever I please with it."

Perhaps you misunderstood their context of saying so. Yes it is their life and its their body, and they can do whatever they please with it, as long as it does not harm another person or does not have an indirect or direct effect on another human being negatively.

When it comes to such statements you need to understand that, Atheists do believe in the concept of law and order, peace and harmony. To go against that contradicts their choice of belief and nullifies the purpose of that choice. Whatever they said should be linked to the laws that guides and secures their chosen beliefs.
Re: Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 03, 2008
stillwater:

I don't preach. I expose my ideas. My purpose isn't that of making people to accept and live according to my ideas but that of making them to reflect on ethics and its rules and regulations.

Logical:

Perhaps you misunderstood their context of saying so. Yes it is their life and its their body, and they can do whatever they please with it, as long as it does not harm another person or does not have an indirect or direct effect on another human being negatively.

When it comes to such statements you need to understand that, Atheists do believe in the concept of law and order, peace and harmony. To go against that contradicts their choice of belief and nullifies the purpose of that choice. Whatever they said should be linked to the laws that guides and secures their chosen beliefs.

Thank you. People still don't understand what atheism is about. They just see us as beings with no rules and morals but yet they fail to realize we are living according to the laws of nature

@ Still water

Atheists use reason, they never make any decision impulsively. If that be the case, you should be referring your comments to your fellow xtians. Afterall you believe you can do and undo: all it takes is a sincere regret and everything shall be well.

We followers of the laws of nature know well that no action is done without consequences. Take time to study your religion and you'll see we have nothing to mend in the way we live our lives unlike you.
Re: Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Feb 03, 2008

Whatever they said should be linked to the laws that guides and secures their chosen beliefs.

Let me understand you, so if you see someone going the way he or she morally ought not to go, due to the fact it does not harm you indirectly or directly, it's practically none of your business? Doesn't this sound selfish? And isn't this a contradiction to what this thread is about, unless this thread proposes a sense of camaraderie when it suits itself.

Thank you. People still don't understand what atheism is about. They just see us as beings with no rules and morals but yet they fail to realize we are living according to the laws of nature

I'll answer this post like you did.
Thank you. People still don't understand what christianity is about. They just see us as beings with no iota of reasoning despite the fact we also have brains and we are doctors, engineers etc, but yet they fail to realize we are living according to the laws that binds us to the living word.

Atheists use reason, they never make any decision impulsively. If that be the case, you should be referring your comments to your fellow xtians.
I shouldn't be referring my comments to my fellow christians because we know our beautiful lives and bodies are not ours but God's  kiss. So we try to keep it clean by self reflection before taking actions which is a contradiction to thinking we act impulsively.

Afterall you believe you can do and undo:

Do and undo? When the bible already told lukewarm christians he would spit them out? Please educate yourself on the bible before posting comments on the lifestyle of christians.

all it takes is a sincere regret and everything shall be well.
Nevertheless I can see that forgiveness is not a virtue of the atheist.

We followers of the laws of nature know well that no action is done without consequences.

Please before the advent of all these theories and atheists trying desperately to find meaning in life and the reason they evoluted, we christians know that whatever you sow, you will reap.

Take time to study your religion and you'll see we have nothing to mend in the way we live our lives unlike you.

Wow I never knew atheists were perfect beings, so you have nothing to change especially in the way you address people?
Re: Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! by Nobody: 12:43pm On Feb 04, 2008
Let's not divert from the main issue and start attcking the personal beliefs of the poster, me.

Suicide concerns everyone and I want to see how people from different religons and non, see this particular matter thanks.

@ Stillwater

You can open another thread to discusss this, I'll be very glad to partecipate!
Re: Suicide Is Not Acceptable No Matter The Circumstances! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 04, 2008
Ok. Suicide is definitely not an option and it's usually an escape route for hopeless people. As a christian, I have this faith and belief that there's hope even if I can't feel it at the moment. As human beings we all have our down moments, I'm able to douse those feelings by listening to some gospel music by my favorite artists Yolanda Adams or Third day kiss

(1) (Reply)

The Flat Earth Lie and Myth . . . / A Man Who Served A Popular Church All His Life Sick & Ignored / Who Is The Most Rated Pastor Between Pastor Tb Joshua And Pastor Chris Okotie:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.