Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. (3616 Views)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by limsycutey(f): 11:39am On Nov 12, 2012
I'm yoruba and I'm married to a benin man, our first baby is on the way smiley. I need nice bini names for both boys and girls (cos we don't know the gender yet). I don't like the bini names I've heard so far, they sound funny. If you can help with yoruba names too, I'm tired of all these common names.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by k2039: 11:43am On Nov 12, 2012
My own name is powerful and wonderful.
Toluwalase
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by Emmyk(m): 12:12pm On Nov 12, 2012
Tomilola
Adeola
Kolawole
Boluwatife
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by Destindave(m): 6:16am On Nov 13, 2012
Gbolahan(m) ,Ifeoluwa(f) ,Itunu(f) ,Kayode(m)
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by Olu3: 4:57pm On Nov 16, 2012
What is the meaning of the name Omotilewa?...I know the "Omo" part, but not Tilewa/Ti Lewa...
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:03pm On Nov 16, 2012
OP : Sangojimi, Famuyide, Fatunde, Fawemimo, Ogunseyi, Ogunmodede.

btw OP arent Bini people almost the same as Yoruba?
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by Destindave(m): 8:07pm On Nov 16, 2012
@op Benin names.. Itohan<mercy>..Eghosa<leader>
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by limsycutey(f): 11:05pm On Nov 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

God forbid that I give my children those names, if you can't answer sensibly, pls move along.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by limsycutey(f): 11:07pm On Nov 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

God forbid that I give my children those names, if you cant answer sensibly, pls move along.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 18, 2012
Asokale Anfani o (Wishing you a safe delivery) @OP

Benin names: http://www.nigeriasite.com/benin.html
Yoruba names: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/category-yoruba-names.html
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by bokohalal(m): 6:04pm On Nov 18, 2012
eGuerrilla: Asokale Anfani o (Wishing you a safe delivery) @OP

Benin names: http://www.nigeriasite.com/benin.html
Yoruba names: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/category-yoruba-names.html

Most of the names and their spellings for the Bini names are not Bini.It include names of other Edo people though some names cut across.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:12pm On Nov 18, 2012
limsycutey: God forbid that I give my children those names, if you cant answer sensibly, pls move along.

why God forbid such names, when those are the names of the Gods themselves??!!! angry angry angry angry

i can assure you that there will come a day in the future when your child worships these very Gods, as long as he/she be living in the State of Nigeria.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2012
bokohalal:

Most of the names and their spellings for the Bini names are not Bini.It include names of other Edo people though some names cut across

See how you cancelled out your dissenting view?
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by bokohalal(m): 9:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
eGuerrilla:

See how you cancelled out your dissenting view?

I guess you were blind to the adjective 'most', in my comment.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by StarFlux: 10:24pm On Nov 19, 2012
Benin names:

(Male)
Agbonkhina
Ahigbe

(Female)
Abeiuwa
Omoyemwen

(Unisex)
Ovie
Osazumwen

You can also look on the net, there are many sites with Benin and Yoruba names.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by Emmyk(m): 12:28am On Nov 20, 2012
Eyitayo. Olanrewaju
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by bokohalal(m): 12:48pm On Nov 20, 2012
StarFlux: Benin names:

(Male)
Agbonkhina
Ahigbe

(Female)
Abeiuwa
Omoyemwen

(Unisex)
Ovie
Osazumwen

You can also look on the net, there are many sites with Benin and Yoruba names.

Omo(n)yemwen is the only Bini name above.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by Wordsmith(m): 2:58pm On Nov 20, 2012
Male names in Yoruba

Tosin
Olubiyi
Bolade
Abayomi
Gbadebo
Adedotun
Bodunrin
Lolade
Eniola
Maradesa
Rotimi
Bidemi
Muyiwa
Tayo
Ajani
Akanbi
Alao
Abiodun (if born during a festive period)
Segun
Sina
Atoba
Jimisade
Timilehin
Remi
Ademola
Sola
Durojaiye
Aanu
Dimeji
Deji
Boluwatife
Demilade
Folarin
Ayokunle
Tunde
. . .and a host of others

Females -

Atinuke
Folabo
Ayomide
Teni
Temiloluwa
Toni
Niyola
Arinade
Adenike
Morolayo
Adeola
Derinsola
Doyinsola
Nifemi
Lola
Tinuola
Oyinda
Abisola
Pelumi
Jumoke
Olamide
Seun
Yejide
Yetunde
Iretide
Enitan
Abike
Adunni
Ebunoluwa
Kemi
Remi
Bosede
Bukola
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by limsycutey(f): 9:54pm On Nov 20, 2012
Thanks guys you've been really helpful. Pagan9ja, I hope all is well, pls leave this thread alone and take your pagan self elsewhere, God fobid, my children will never worship ifa, ogun or any god. We'll only serve the Lord.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by StarFlux: 11:24pm On Nov 20, 2012
bokohalal:

Omo(n)yemwen is the only Bini name above.
I don't know, got them from the internet, but they do look like Bini to me, but if they are not, my apologies. Though, I'm pretty sure for example: Agbonkhina, agbon means life, and khina means this is.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by tpia1: 12:01am On Nov 21, 2012
limsycutey: Thanks guys you've been really helpful. Pagan9ja, I hope all is well, pls leave this thread alone and take your pagan self elsewhere, God fobid, my children will never worship ifa, ogun or any god. We'll only serve the Lord.

in many parts of nigeria [dont know if you're nigerian], names are usually given as a reflection of the circumstances in which the child was born.

since one can safely assume the majority of nlers do not know anything about your circumstances right now, i dont think you need to be cussing anyone out over their suggestion, since you're the one soliciting here.

there are websites where you can look up names of your choice, without asking the whole world for their opinion.

as it is, maybe you should just give your child a western name and be done with it, if you cant think of anything to name the child for, and you're not familiar with the culture where you come from.

i find it hard to believe the baby's father also cant think of a name, and you say he's nigerian?
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by limsycutey(f): 4:32pm On Nov 21, 2012
tpia1:

in many parts of nigeria [dont know if you're nigerian], names are usually given as a reflection of the circumstances in which the child was born.

since one can safely assume the majority of nlers do not know anything about your circumstances right now, i dont think you need to be cussing anyone out over their suggestion, since you're the one soliciting here.

there are websites where you can look up names of your choice, without asking the whole world for their opinion.

as it is, maybe you should just give your child a western name and be done with it, if you cant think of anything to name the child for, and you're not familiar with the culture where you come from.

i find it hard to believe the baby's father also cant think of a name, and you say he's nigerian?

excuse me, I'm not cussing anyone,I asked for names, not because I don't have any, I just haven't found the one I like. Other people gave reasonable answers, not suggesting names with deities in them and even telling me my child will be worshipping them. HARDLY will u hear a name like that as a first name, even pple with surnames like that are changing and I didn't beg anybody to come and comment pls.
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by tpia1: 5:08pm On Nov 21, 2012
if you're nigerian [or from certain parts of nigeria], then your circumstances should determine the name of your child.

if you're not nigerian, then it doesnt matter.

i see names like yejide, yetunde and remi on one of the lists.

yetunde and yejide are names given when a child is born after the family matriarch dies of old age and before the baby arrives. So, if you name your baby that, and nobody has died of old age, people will assume something is wrong with you [and your husband].

remi is given when the mother has passed through a lot of stress before getting pregnant- most times difficulty in conceiving for years.

so, just jumping on the name remi because someone said so on nl, will be seen as strange by others who know what it means, unless you dont expect to be in a nigerian setting.

and does your husband not speak bini language?
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by tpia1: 5:12pm On Nov 21, 2012
you can also have your religious leader/mentor chose the names, i suppose.

that's the practice in some settings.

https://www.nairaland.com/902334/proudly-bini-names-meaning
Re: I Need Nice Benin And Yoruba Names. by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:17pm On Nov 21, 2012
Buluamukwu and ikpukwu are really good names grin

(1) (Reply)

Yewande & George’s Elegant Efik & Yoruba Wedding With A Vintage Touch! / What Are The Taboos/abomination In Your Village? / A War-Room Discussion & Analysis Of Yoruba History.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.