Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,903 members, 7,952,641 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:06 PM

Haiti Joins African Union - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Haiti Joins African Union (15851 Views)

Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti / Support The Relief Efforts In Haiti / Haiti Earthquake Feared To Have Killed Hundreds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx:

Nigeria had loads of returnees and they made Lagos what it is today...

The first Yoruba bible was written by a returnee and the biggest political party in Nigeria(pre-independence) was started by most returnees...

I see, this is interesting, this explain as well a few word in pidgin like sabi for example,
ahah i don't understand pidgin but i know a few words and was wondering about the connection of sabi to latin languages
I just googled it and saw they were actually Brazilian returnees also in Benin/Ghana/Togo...
How is the relationship between original Nigerians and em?
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 12, 2012
bermuda1:
Hugo Chavez is not a black man. He may have had one of his ancestors somewhere that was black but he is not a black man. unless both our televisions are not made in Asia, the hugo chavez i see on TV has features that are definitialy native south america mixed with spanish ancestry. he has more in common with the likes of Maradona and Suarez than Pele and Ramirez. just using a football analogy

Bwahahahaha..

If looks could be used to judge a person's race - then, Mariah Carey and Alicia Keys are not black as well, despite having black fathers... grin

Can't you see Chavez has nappy/curly hair? grin
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sybellah:
I see, this is interesting, this explain as well a few word in pidgin like sabi for example,
ahah i don't understand pidgin but i know a few words and was wondering about the connection of sabi to latin languages
I just googled it and saw they were actually Brazilian returnees also in Benin/Ghana/Togo...
How is the relationship between original Nigerians and em?

The relationship was fine because they were originally from Nigeria albeit lived in the new world for a while... They brought Brazilian architecture to Lagos and gave the place a new look...

Most of them subsequently changed their names to Yoruba names..
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 12, 2012
Depends on how Chavez identify himself, technically he is mestizo, but If he see himself as an Afro-Venezuelan then it is right to say he is black.
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sybellah: Depends on how Chavez identify himself, technically he is mestizo, but If he see himself as an Afro-Venezuelan then it is right to say he is black.

Word.
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx:

The relationship was fine because they were originally from Nigeria albeit lived in the new world for a while... They brought Brazilian architecture to Lagos and gave the place a new look...

Most of them subsequently changed their names to Yoruba names..

Ah i see, i figured that since most of them were in yorubaland they ll try to identify more to yoruba. So is the name Lagos given by them?(cuz it sounds very latin now in my ears lool)
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sybellah:

Ah i see, i figured that since most of them were in yorubaland they ll try to identify more to yoruba. So is the name Lagos given by them?(cuz it sounds very latin now in my ears lool)

Lagos was named after a city in Portugal.. Lagos used to be a Portuguese colony and it gained its independence from Portugal in the 1800s, before the British re-colonised the place...
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sybellah:

Lagos was given by the portuguese originally called Lago de Curamo
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx:

Lagos was named after a city in Portugal.. Lagos used to be a Portuguese colony and it gained its independence from Portugal in the 1800s, before the British re-colonised the place...

Lagos was never a portuguese colony. While they had had portuguese (slave) traders in Lagos, it was never colonised by them.

king Dosunmu it was who ceded Lagos to the British. hence to this day a daft/dull/mugu person is sometimes called a Dosunmu
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx:

I see! These Portuguese were everywhere in the coast for a long time. They were the 1st Europeans to arrived in CIV and Ghana as well around 1400-1500, we also got cities with Portuguese names : San Pedro, Fresco, Sassandra... however they didn't stay til the 1800s
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by COOLDUN: 4:31pm On Nov 12, 2012
pappilo: I miss Gaddaffi, A foremost Pan-Africanist

I miss him too, one of the greatest sons of Africa, betrayed by his African brothers, his loved people and killed by the west. May his soul Rest In Peace.
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sybellah:

Yep any Yoruba person with the last name Da Silva, Da rocha, Salvador, Vera Cruz, Pedro,Santos, Verissimmo etc are Of brazillian descent

1 Like

Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 12, 2012
bermuda1:

Yep any Yoruba person with the last name Da Silva, Da rocha, Salvador, Vera Cruz, Pedro,Santos, Verissimmo etc are Of brazillian descent

I got load of info today, thank you! smiley
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 12, 2012
Bad move
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by COOLDUN: 4:38pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sybellah:

I see! These Portuguese were everywhere in the coast for a long time. They were the 1st Europeans to arrived in CIV and Ghana as well around 1400-1500, we also got cities with Portuguese names : San Pedro, Fresco, Sassandra... however they didn't stay til the 1800s

Points of correction, San Pedro, Fresco, are Spanish Names not Portuguese: San Pedro means: Saint Peter in English, and Saint-Pierre in French, Fresco, means Fresh in Spanish.
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sybellah:

They were the first to hit Africa after Charles V ordered transatlantic slavery...

However, the first slaves that were shipped to the new world were the remnant of the Moors that ruled Europe during the dark ages, after they had been kicked out of Europe...

That was the Renaissance - and Africa has never recovered from that... sad

1 Like

Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 12, 2012
Prof Corruption: Bad move

Why?
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 12, 2012
bermuda1:

Some have English last name as well...
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by nedu2000(m): 4:45pm On Nov 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Eqypt was world power!
egyptians as U̶̲̥̅̊ know are not of the negroid(black) race
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by cecegorz(m): 4:49pm On Nov 12, 2012
Billyonaire: You are all over the map Mr; Let's confine our discourse to facts and not sentiments cos am using a phone to chat so I won't be able to respond to misfired emotions. Our discourse is Hait's homecoming. Its a welcomed development and will make indigent Africans put their houses in order. Africa has not been as great as it is since the beging of time. With Internet comes awareness and its the reason I am opportuned to actually know people like you and Shymmex exist, both of you are so negative about Nigeria and Africa that I am afraid you might bleach your skin white. To be frank with you, anyone who buys your ideologies is committing suicide of intelligence as regards patriotism. I am not proud of you both, I am sorry for that. But your application of intelligence is very very negative and that explains why you likely prefer to die and let your corpse be used to fertilize white man's pumpkin than come back home to our country Nigeria. Its a fat shame. I am not proud of you.
No need to be sorry about the bolded. You sure spoke with candour.
Those dudes are too emotional about the lack of Africa/Nigeria's progress that they have become a pitiable case that needs urgent help themselves. May be i should call it chronic frustration over issues that are beyond their immediate sphere of influence.
In as much as i feel the need for accelerated development, i am equally sure that we are not where we used to be.
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by COOLDUN: 4:49pm On Nov 12, 2012
bermuda1:

Pedro is a Spanish name for Peter: Pablo is Paul, Salvador is Savior, they are generally known as Latin names not Brazilian Names: mind you that Brazil was colonized by the Portuguese, in fact they are the only country that was colonized by the Portuguese in the South American continent. Those names you mentioned are mixed of Spanish and Portuguese. Lagos is a Portuguese name. There is a city in Portugal that is Lagos also.
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by solomonkane(m): 4:53pm On Nov 12, 2012
And I am supposed to jump because Haiti has joined AU? The same impoverished Haiti? Big freaking deal!!!!! angry Isn't it the same AU; "the do nothing, see nothing bad, hear no evil" AU whose presidency register reads like a VIP party list from the bowels of Hades? I am all for Pan Africanism, Pan Negritudist Movement, African Renaissance Dance or whatever nomenclature it is called but empty gestures such as this add no value whatsoever.
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Jambsupport(f): 4:57pm On Nov 12, 2012
haiti joinin is 2dia benefits, they nw hv a lot 2gain. welcome though
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2012
COOLDUN:

Points of correction, San Pedro, Fresco, are Spanish Names not Portuguese: San Pedro means: Saint Peter in English, and Saint-Pierre in French, Fresco, means Fresh in Spanish.

ok for San Pedro but Fresco also mean fresh in Portuguese undecided
Anyways these are small details...
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx:

They were the first to hit Africa after Charles V ordered transatlantic slavery...

However, the first slaves that were shipped to the new world were the remnant of the Moors that ruled Europe during the dark ages, after they had been kicked out of Europe...

That was the Renaissance - and Africa has never recovered from that... sad

yea too bad, in a way we have created our own misfortune, now we have to fix it.
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sybellah:

yea too bad, in a way we have created our own misfortune, now we have to fix it.

What are you doing to help fix it?
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 12, 2012
COOLDUN:

Pedro is a Spanish name for Peter: Pablo is Paul, Salvador is Savior, they are generally known as Latin names not Brazilian Names: mind you that Brazil was colonized by the Portuguese, in fact they are the only country that was colonized by the Portuguese in the South American continent. Those names you mentioned are mixed of Spanish and Portuguese. Lagos is a Portuguese name. There is a city in Portugal that is Lagos also.

What is you point exactly? Spanish and portuguese are closely related and they are all derived from Latin. The yoruba people who bear those names are of Brazillian descent as they were freed slaves from plantations in Brazil
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 12, 2012
Haitian Women are so Fine.....
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx:

What are you doing to help fix it?

lol dude? I am study hard to become spanky rich grin and go back there to invest and create a few jobs,this would be my contribution to civ
I want to create a blog about political issues in africa however i dun have much time, ya wanna help with this? u seem quite knowledgeable tongue
Re: Haiti Joins African Union by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx:

Some have English last name as well...

Most of the ones with mainly English (Scottish) names were usually those who came via Sierra Leone. They could have been people repatriated from the UK, USA or Jamaica or people who were freed from slave ships and taken to freetown Sierra leone

These are names like Macaulay, Crowther, Johnson, Babbington, Williams (Sapara), Dove-Edwin, Garrick, Thomas, Taylor etc

One notable difference is while the Afro brazillians were mainly artisans, the Saros went into the clergy and education.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Donald Trump Barred From Blocking Twitter Users For Their Political Beliefs / Iran Now Has Enough Uranium For Nuclear Weapon, U.N. Watchdog Reportedly Says / UK Drops Planned Israel Arrest Warrant Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.