Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching (1496 Views)

How Can Jesus Give Everlasting Life To Immortal Beings? / A Deadly Blow that DESTROYS the Doctrine of Immortal Soul / John Wesley And William Tyndale Debunk Pope On The Immortal Soul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
Despite widespread use of the phrase immortal soul, this terminology is found nowhere in the Bible. Where did the idea of an immortal soul originate?

The concept of the soul's supposed immortality was first taught in ancient Egypt and Babylon. "The belief that the soul continues in existence after the dissolution of the body is...speculation...nowhere expressly taught in Holy Scripture...The belief in the immortality of the soul came to the Jews from contact with Greek thought and chiefly through the philosophy of Plato, its principal exponent, who was led to it through Orphic and Eleusinian mysteries in which Babylonian and Egyptian views were strangely blended" ( Jewish Encyclopedia, 1941, Vol. 6, "Immortality of the Soul," pp. 564, 566).

Plato (428-348 B.C.), the Greek philosopher and student of Socrates, taught that the body and the "immortal soul" separate at death. The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia comments on ancient Israel's view of the soul: "We are influenced always more or less by the Greek, Platonic idea that the body dies, yet the soul is immortal. Such an idea is utterly contrary to the Israelite consciousness and is nowhere found in the Old Testament" (1960, Vol. 2, "Death," p. 812).

Early Christianity was influenced and corrupted by Greek philosophies as it spread through the Greek and Roman world. By A.D. 200 the doctrine of the immortality of the soul became a controversy among Christian believers.

The Evangelical Dictionary of Theology notes that Origen, an early and influential Catholic theologian, was influenced by Greek thinkers: "Speculation about the soul in the subapostolic church was heavily influenced by Greek philosophy. This is seen in Origen's acceptance of Plato's doctrine of the preexistence of the soul as pure mind ( nous ) originally, which, by reason of its fall from God, cooled down to soul ( psyche ) when it lost its participation in the divine fire by looking earthward" (1992, "Soul," p. 1037).

Secular history reveals that the concept of the immortality of the soul is an ancient belief embraced by many pagan religions. But it's not a biblical teaching and is not found in either the Old or New Testaments.

Source
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by mazaje(m): 1:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
This man is gradually becoming an agnostic. . .First he has dropped is blind allegiance to Israel, to he doesn't believe in hell as a place of eternal punishment, now he doesn't believe that the soul is immortal. . .Its either he ends up leaving the religion or form his own group with a different doctrine and set of beliefs as is ALWAYS the case. . .
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 12, 2012
mazaje: This man is gradually becoming an agnostic. . .First he has dropped is blind allegiance to Israel, to he doesn't believe in hell as a place of eternal punishment, now he doesn't believe that the soul is immortal. . .Its either he ends up leaving the religion or form his own group with a different doctrine and set of beliefs as is ALWAYS the case. . .

On the contrary, I am perfecting my faith in God through the true knowledge of Christ Jesus and the good news of the gospel , independent of the tamperings and deceitfulness of Men.

My love for GOD has increased, my understanding of the bible has magnified and a deep inner desire to please GOD in everything has 'solidified' in my mind.

If you call this 'agnosticism' great !!

Join me Mazaje in the quest for truth which is in Jesus, it's a win / win for you.

1 Like

Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 12, 2012
Interesting!
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 12, 2012
mazaje: This man is gradually becoming an agnostic. . .First he has dropped is blind allegiance to Israel, to he doesn't believe in hell as a place of eternal punishment, now he doesn't believe that the soul is immortal. . .Its either he ends up leaving the religion or form his own group with a different doctrine and set of beliefs as is ALWAYS the case. . .
He is right on this one. The soul can't be immortal only the personality behind the soul.
@frosbel, good of you to admit this. My question to you now is, what lives after the death of the soul in a being?
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by mazaje(m): 8:54pm On Nov 12, 2012
frosbel:

On the contrary, I am perfecting my faith in God through the true knowledge of Christ Jesus and the good news of the gospel , independent of the tamperings and deceitfulness of Men.

My love for GOD has increased, my understanding of the bible has magnified and a deep inner desire to please GOD in everything has 'solidified' in my mind.

If you call this 'agnosticism' great !!

Join me Mazaje in the quest for truth which is in Jesus, it's a win / win for you.

Unknown men wrote the gospels, men's whose name are NOT the names that appear on the gospels today, so do you know for sure the the original authors were not writing their own fictitious tales?. . .I know you will lay claim to this elusive faith cake but then, as you please Mr Frosbel. . .As you please. . .
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 9:04pm On Nov 12, 2012
mazaje:

Unknown men wrote the gospels, men's whose name are NOT the names that appear on the gospels today, so do you know for sure the the original authors were not writing their own fictitious tales?. . .I know you will lay claim to this elusive faith cake but then, as you please Mr Frosbel. . .As you please. . .

Everyman to his own pal wink

Time will reveal the TRUTH !
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 12, 2012
^^Dude you REALLY think some guy named 'Jesus' is going to ''descend from the heavens in full glory'' and so on? I mean, come on...
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 12, 2012
^^^
Well if you believe that we came from fish, why not ? grin
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 12, 2012
Reyginus: He is right on this one. The soul can't be immortal only the personality behind the soul.
@frosbel, good of you to admit this. My question to you now is, what lives after the death of the soul in a being?

No person is immortal in any true sense of the word.

You are a living Soul, I am a living Soul.

When we die our 'spirit' ( breath ) returns to God and we become dead bodies awaiting either the resurrection to life eternal or to judgement and damnation.
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by truthislight: 9:15am On Nov 13, 2012
mazaje:

^^^
you had limited knowledge and that means poor foundation which is why you fall.

the NT is a writing by christ apostles .

The apostles wrote letters and taught the christians what and how to follow in their service to God/faith and this books had there names, and the early 1century congregation knew the writers that sent them the books

See some sample of the apostles letters by their own mouth in the bible

peter:

"And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;" (2 Peter 3:15).

"As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness." (2 Peter 3:16-17).
(note: his epistle)

Paul:
2. "The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write." (2 Thessalonians 3:17).

(note: every epistle)

3. "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle." (2 Thessalonians 2:15).
(note: our epistle)

4. "And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments." (2 Timothy 4:12-13).

5. "Therefore I write these things being absent, lest being present I should use sharpness, according to the power which the Lord hath given me to edification, and not to destruction." (2 Corinthians 13:10).

6. "I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:" (1 Corinthians 5:9).
(note: his epistle)

7. "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat." (1 Corinthians 5:11).
(note: I have written unto you)

8. "Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not." (Galatians 1:20).
( I write unto you,)

9. "How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)" (Ephesians 3:3-4).

(note: as I wrote afore in few words,)

Congregations to exchange letters :

1. "And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea." (Colossians 4:16).

This are just few letters from the apostles not to talk of revelation and others that they the apostles wrote.

Stop exposing your limited bible knowledge.
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by ogoamaka99(m): 10:41am On Nov 13, 2012
I am glad more people are coming to realize what i am pointing out about frosbel. He claim to be a christian yet denies the basic BIBLICAL teachings. He did not accept that the HOLY SPIRIT is a person, he didn't believe that JESUS died fully, he believe nobody is going to heaven,and many more heresies. However, he is not the original writer of the above article as he specialize in COPY AND PASTE. I AM YET TO SEE HIM SIT DOWN AND WRITE AN ARTICLE WITHOUT COPYING SOMEONES ARTICLE.
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 13, 2012
ogoamaka99:
I am glad more people are coming to realize what i am pointing out about frosbel. He claim to be a christian yet denies the basic BIBLICAL teachings. He did not accept that the HOLY SPIRIT is a person, he didn't believe that JESUS died fully, he believe nobody is going to heaven,and many more heresies. However, he is not the original writer of the above article as he specialize in COPY AND PASTE. I AM YET TO SEE HIM SIT DOWN AND WRITE AN ARTICLE WITHOUT COPYING SOMEONES ARTICLE.

It is you that believes that Jesus did not die fully , since you hold onto the belief that he was half MAN and half GOD , and therefore only the MAN part died, this is blasphemy !!

Also regarding heaven, the saints are inheriting a new heaven and new earth , not heaven where God dwells.

1 Like

Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 13, 2012
frosbel:
When we die our 'spirit' ( breath ) returns to God and we become dead bodies awaiting either the resurrection to life eternal or to judgement and damnation.
Thank you. Do we cease to exist as spirits after the passage of the judgement or do we live for eternity thereafter?
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by ogoamaka99(m): 11:19am On Nov 13, 2012
@ frosbel,
YouR other name is MR. COPY AND PASTE. It is a waste of time arguing with you over another person's article. SIT DOWN AND WRITE YOUR OWN ARTICLE MR. COPY AND PASTE. ALL THESE ARTICLES, SOMEBODY WROTE THEM SO WHY CAN'T YOU ORIGINATE ARTICLES FROM YOUR BRAIN?
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 13, 2012
ogoamaka99: @ frosbel,
YouR other name is MR. COPY AND PASTE. It is a waste of time arguing with you over another person's article. SIT DOWN AND WRITE YOUR OWN ARTICLE MR. COPY AND PASTE. ALL THESE ARTICLES, SOMEBODY WROTE THEM SO WHY CAN'T YOU ORIGINATE ARTICLES FROM YOUR BRAIN?

some of us have jobs, I cannot spend my entire time writing articles , which btw I have done in the past.

Please refer to the source of my article.
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by ogoamaka99(m): 1:05am On Nov 14, 2012
frosbel:

some of us have jobs, I cannot spend my entire time writing articles , which btw I have done in the past.

Please refer to the source of my article.

@ frosbel,

So the people you are copying their articles has no work doing? Are you denying that the article is not FROM UNITED CHURCH OF GOD? Perhaps a visit to [b]www.ucg.org [/b]will confirm.
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by truthislight: 12:44pm On Nov 14, 2012
Reyginus: Thank you. Do we cease to exist as spirits after the passage of the judgement or do we live for eternity thereafter?

"With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness. Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD." (Isaiah 26:9-10).

"There shall be no more (dying as an infant) thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall die as a mere boy (Isaiah 65:20).
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 14, 2012
truthislight:

"With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness. Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD." (Isaiah 26:9-10).

"There shall be no more (dying as an infant) thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall die as a mere boy (Isaiah 65:20).
Erm... Please can you dumb down to my level?
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 14, 2012
Reyginus: Thank you. Do we cease to exist as spirits after the passage of the judgement or do we live for eternity thereafter?

we are not spirits , spirits do not die.

Man is flesh and blood and made from dust , only kept alive by the breath of God or spirit of GOD in him. Once MAN dies , his body returns to the ground and this 'spirit' which is like a wind returns to GOD. It is not a being.

The teaching of MAN as an immortal soul or spirit is derived from platonic teachings.

For example HERE
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 15, 2012
frosbel:

we are not spirits , spirits do not die.

Man is flesh and blood and made from dust , only kept alive by the breath of God or spirit of GOD in him. Once MAN dies , his body returns to the ground and this 'spirit' which is like a wind returns to GOD. It is not a being.

The teaching of MAN as an immortal soul or spirit is derived from platonic teachings.

For example HERE
Do you read the articles you present as evidence at all. Where did I tell you the soul is tripartite?
We are not spirits, but when we die our SPIRITS return to God? Really? Are you an exponent of contradiction or confusion? This is what happens when you don't think for yourself.
Re: The History Of The Immortal-soul Teaching by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 15, 2012
Reyginus: Do you read the articles you present as evidence at all. Where did I tell you the soul is tripartite?
We are not spirits, but when we die our SPIRITS return to God? Really? Are you an exponent of contradiction or confusion? This is what happens when you don't think for yourself.

Appears you are confused as I have in very clear terms defined my position.

spirit in the bible can either mean a person or a thing, thing in this case is the life giving breath of God. I repeat MAN is not a spirit. He is a mortal with the spirit or breath of God in him. When he dies this gift of GOD or breath called spirit returns to GOD.

David was very aware of this when he said ;

"When you hide your face, they are terrified; when you take away their breath, they die and return to the dust." - Psalm 104:29

In this context the definition of spirit from a Lexicon is :

breath, wind, spirit

7307 ruwach roo'-akh from 7306; wind; by resemblance breath, i.e. a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively, life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension, a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions):--air, anger, blast, breath, X cool, courage, mind, X quarter, X side, spirit((-ual)), tempest, X vain, ((whirl-))wind(-y).

In summary , I hold on to the position that MAN is lifeless without the 'spirit' , and that this 'spirit' is not a being but rather a gift from God , his breath which he breathes into every man and woman born into this world.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Right For Christians To Dance Worldly Dance Steps In The Church??? / TB Joshua Predicted/prophesied/saw The Paris Terror Attack / Atheists In The House. How Are You Coping?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.