Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,885 members, 7,848,572 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 06:28 AM

Who Head The American Senate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Head The American Senate? (784 Views)

Bukola Saraki Is The Senate President Of The 8th NASS / Tanimu Yakubu Kurfi To Head The Policy Directorate of GMB Campaign Organisation / British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Head The American Senate? by Jackelony(m): 3:33pm On Feb 03, 2008
Please, i'll need the contribution of only those knowledgable in American politics here.
Is there any such office as the senate president in the US? Otherwise, who is the head their national assembly?
I was moved to ask this question because Nancy Pelosi (US speaker) is always at the fore-front eg. during the last State of the Union address.
Re: Who Head The American Senate? by RichyBlacK(m): 6:13pm On Feb 03, 2008
Jackelony:

Please, i'll need the contribution of only those knowledgable in American politics here.
Is there any such office as the senate president in the US? Otherwise, who is the head their national assembly?
I was moved to ask this question because Nancy Pelosi (US speaker) is always at the fore-front eg. during the last State of the Union address.

Stemming from the adopted interpretation of the Twelfth Amendment of the US Constitution, the Vice-President is also the President of the Senate.

So, Dick Cheney is the Senate President of the US Senate.
Re: Who Head The American Senate? by doyindamus: 8:44pm On Feb 03, 2008
My father is grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Head The American Senate? by uspry1(f): 11:59pm On Feb 03, 2008
Keep in your mind that US has all 50 states that has every senators each state. Over 2,000 senators from those 50 states depend on which republicat or democrat each state voted in 2006 November election for Senators.

That is why you see on TV news that all senators from all 50 states are mandated attending to the State of the Nation address except for illness/accident/injury.
Re: Who Head The American Senate? by Jackelony(m): 12:47am On Feb 04, 2008
@Richyblack and Uspry1

Thanks for your enlightening post. Now i see why no reference was made to the office of the senate president when the US president was about to enter the Capitol Hill.
So what's all the fuss about Nigeria and US having the same political structure?
More contributions will be appreciated.
Re: Who Head The American Senate? by uspry1(f): 2:15am On Feb 04, 2008
The Capitol Hill in Washington DC is a federal building where all senators, house of representatives, congress come to have meetings in order to make decisions to vote approving the bills before submitting the bills directly to the US president for acceptance or veto.

The bills has more than 1,000 pages proposed to approve or not even modify too, cost lot of money to make decisions.

I don't remember how often mandated meeting in Capitol Hill held. The Capitol Hill is only less than 5 miles from the White House.

The State of the Nations address is twice a year for both Americans and all senators come listening the LIVE REALTIME TV what the US president has said something very importance announcement. Even it can use for EMERGENCY situation.

Each senators has their own offices in Congress, Capitol Hill, and other private Federal buildings as well as each state government offices too after elected senators' inauguration. It is a full-time job with 2 or 3 terms, i think.

I am not strong American politic, but i took American government class in secondary school to be familiarized with how the US President's organization hierarchical system works.
Re: Who Head The American Senate? by gregg2: 6:09pm On Feb 04, 2008
The Vice President doubles as Senate President
Re: Who Head The American Senate? by segunpc(m): 2:19pm On Feb 06, 2008

THE VICE PRESIDENT DICK CHENEY IS THE SENATE PRESIDENT!
Re: Who Head The American Senate? by segunpc(m): 2:26pm On Feb 06, 2008
Thanks for your enlightening post. Now i see why no reference was made to the office of the senate president when the US president was about to enter the Capitol Hill.
So what's all the fuss about Nigeria and US having the same political structure?
More contributions will be appreciated.

THERE is plenty similarities but not totally the same.

its just presidential system of governance.

but some different touches in operation.

(1) (Reply)

Get Latest Info On Nigeria / Prove That Aircraft Is Not Missing – Sss Challenges Senate Leader / From Benin City: I Recieved This On My Yahoo Messenger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.