Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

MTN 'ultimate Wonder Promo’ Where Are The Winners. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN 'ultimate Wonder Promo’ Where Are The Winners. (1515 Views)

How To Boost Your 2go Star Progress From Novice To Ultimate In 1week / Win Brand New Aeroplane! MTN Ultimate Wonder! / Mtn 1billion Naira Reward. Where Are The Winners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

MTN 'ultimate Wonder Promo’ Where Are The Winners. by fatdon1(m): 10:05am On Nov 13, 2012
The coming of GSM in Nigeria has helped close the communication gap between the rich and the poor. However, Chris Alu reports that the same device has turned out to be exploitative as some operators use the medium to cheat and waste subscribers' monies through doubtful promo's prompting many to have a rethink. Promos are not new as telecom operators in Nigeria try to dangle one 'exciting' offer or the other before subscribers in their bid to lure more customers to their network. In the records of promo in the Nigerian telecoms industry, it is common to hear operators promising gifts of cars, billions of Naira among others. However, the latest promo and the biggest ever coming from the leading operator, MTN Nigeria, is what many could not just stop pondering over. It is the promo in which customers are expected to win weekly cash prizes while the ultimate winner would go home with a 'Cessna 182T' Aeroplane in a grand prize presentation next month. Not a few Nigerians are wondering if the operator could actually afford to give an airplane to an individual just in the name of promo, even when virtually all the telecom operators are complaining bitterly about several operating challenges biting hard on their profit in the country. One of MTN's staff in Abuja, Sailas Okeke, who spoke to Peoples Daily Weekend confirmed that it is true and that the Aeroplane cost N72 million. This according to him is not more than
what the operator can give to a subscriber as reward for. However, while some subscribers are still in doubt over the promo, some are
excited and anticipating winning, this has resulted in making MTN to make up to 1.3 billion naira since the promo started while quality of service continues to drop with unauthorized deductions, charges on undelivered messages, unsolicited SMS's and constant bombardment with deceptive promotional messages are some of the ways subscribers are being ripped off by the company. And the sector regulator, Nigerian Regulatory Commission (NRC) and NCC continued to issue warnings without taking any tough action even as customers get poor quality services. Besides MTN charges customers for calling its customer care lines; yet these are supposed to be toll free lines. MTN has also often been faulted for charging customers when SMS messages are not delivered. As the largest telecom company MTN also makes unsolicited calls using the number 33114 for customers to subscribe to voice chat and each attracts 100 naira deduction done immediately you load one unit of card. One of the subscribers, Tunde Adewale in Abuja, told Peoples Daily Weekendthat since the beginning of this year he has received more than 300 text massages from MTN enticing him to play one game or the other; He said one of such is download ring tones or quiz, telling you to send a text to a given number instantly and you will be qualified to win a prize. He said each time he received such text he deleted them immediately. James Akubo, also a subscriber, said that the 'Ultimate Wonder'promo is fake; He wondered what would be their gain, since they cannot even improve on their quality of service. Also, a recharge card vendor, Shehu Musa said they are not real because he has tried many times spent up to 20,000 naira without wining. Asked if he was aware of the latest MTN promo, he retorted: "Yes, I am aware; Is it not the one that said you could win an Aeroplane, N2million or whatever?" Narrating his experience, he said, "Well, I think the promo is for people that are not knowledgeable, because I have tried so many of them, and I have come to realize that they are just fake. "For instance, there was a time I bought a roll of MTN card of 1,500 denomination, I bought about three rolls costing almost 65,000 just because I wanted to be a millionaire. Then I had a problem and I thought it would help me solve it. "I kept receiving: 'keep trying', 'keep trying' and I kept trying until I came to my senses. So, for someone to say me am going to win an aeroplane? When am not able to win N1, 000 or a recharge card of N100? My dear it is just a figment of their imagination. It is not real; I have never seen anybody that has told me he won something from MTN", he lamented. The Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer MTN Nigeria, Mr. Larry Annetts, while speaking during the launch of the ultimate wonder promo, said that MTN, as a market leader, continually seek avenues not only to enrich its customers, but also to appreciate and reward loyal subscribers for keeping faith with the brand over a long period of time. Annetts said, "MTN is keen to transform the lives of many Nigerians; we recognise reward schemes as one of the best ways to touch and enrich the lives of our subscribers and so we are connecting Nigerians to life- changing initiatives that are not easily replicated by any brand in Africa. Giving a breakdown of the company's recent reward programmes, he said, "Last year, in commemoration of our 10th anniversary in Nigeria, we excited and enriched many Nigerians with the much talked about 1 billion Naira reward; where 90 lucky winners went home with cash prices of N10million each among other mouth watering prices. "This year again, through the MTN Automania game, a subscription- based initiative; the company is giving out 100 xi35 SUVs in a 100-day nationwide promo. But with the inauguration of the MTN Ultimate Wonder Promo, you will agree with me that MTN has taken the customer reward concept to an unprecedented level where no brand has attempted in Africa", he further stated. Meanwhile, amid subscribers concerns about the reality of the promo, the Consumer Protection Council (CPC), had said it would seek audience with MTN over the promo. The Deputy Director, Public Relations of the CPC, Mr. Abiodun Obimuyiwa, had disclosed that the Council had sent a letter summoning MTN officials for a meeting over the promo. MTN has over the years had a long battle with Consumer Protection Council (CPC) when they shut down the Abuja regional headquarters of MTN Nigeria, and threatened to press for the withdrawal of its operating licence if the company continued to flout the operational guidelines in its dealings with Nigerian subscribers to its network. The CPC had twice shut down the office, over MTN's Y'ello Times promotions which the agency said was unlawful and in contravention of rules and regulations, having not being duly registered and subjected to the scrutiny of the consumer rights
agency. MTN's employees and customers were taken unawares as the regional Office, Abuja, was put under lock and key because of unnecessary promos. CPC Acting Director, Enforcement and Legal Matters, Mr Emmanuel Ataguba said the action had become necessary because all its entreaties to make MTN comply with the rules like other telecommunication companies in the country had failed, the matter ended up in court where the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja
granted the prayers of the telecommunication company that the council vacate its sealed premises. Be that as it may, the National Lottery
Regulatory Commission (NLRC), the body charged with granting lottery permission in the country has confirmed the approval of the promo, saying it is being regulated. An official
of the Commission who gave this confirmation said the telecom operator had sought approval before commencement and had been granted, adding that the promo is being closely monitored by the regulatory body.

(1) (Reply)

Mtn Blackberry Plan / Which Blackberry Should I Buy / Redmi Note 3 3gb Metal Body 4000mah Battery Fingerprint Sensor 4g Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.