Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,629 members, 7,955,305 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:00 PM

Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution (10261 Views)

Obasanjo Denies Snubbing Jonathan, Shagari, Other Ex-presidents / Akiolu Slams Obasanjo, Denies Endorsing Buhari / Tinubu Calls For Revolution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Euroclydon(m): 1:26pm On Nov 13, 2012
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday denied calling for a revolution in Nigeria. Reacting to reports quoting him as saying that a revolution was imminent in the country, the former president said he was misquoted as he never made such comment. He said: “The person saying I talked about revolution taking place in Nigeria is talking nonsense; he doesn’t understand English.

“What I said was that as long as we do not pay adequate attention to solving the problem of unemployment, we are all sitting on a keg of gun powder. And it is a tickling time-bomb. All of us must realise that it is a serious problem. Our leaders must pay attention to this issue.

“That is not revolution. I never used the word revolution. Unemployment is a continental problem and indeed a global problem.

If a state can have over 50 per cent of its population as unemployed, it is a major problem that needs serious attention. “I didn’t mention revolution in my speech. Who will write a cheque for us in Africa?

Asked to clarify whether he spoke about a revolution happening in Nigeria, he said: “I didn’t. And that is not what I want for Nigeria. What I want for Nigeria is job creation for the youth not revolution.” Obasanjo was said to have predicted that a revolution loomed in Nigeria unless the government took urgent step to arrest youth unemployment and poverty.

The prediction was reportedly made at the weekend in a speech at a West African regional conference on youth employment in Senegal. Meanwhile, former President Obasanjo has asked political parties to do more in enforcing party discipline, proper implementation of their manifestoes, service delivery and national integration in their quest for power acquisition. Obasanjo spoke yesterday in Abuja as chairman of the first session of a two-day roundtable conference on “Party Politics and Election in Nigeria,” organised by the National Institute of Legislative Studies (NILS).

The former president expressed concern that in Nigeria, political parties’ manifestoes are being abused because they are only used to win elections and thereafter dumped by political parties. He wondered how a party in office would be assessed if not through the party’s manifestoes.

He observed that in the absence of manifestoes, it becomes difficult to hold political parties accountable in office. He said: “In Nigeria, manifestoes are prepared, read and thereafter thrown away after elections.

Worse still, in other instances, some political parties do not even have manifestoes. How then do we hold political parties accountable?”

While commenting on party discipline, Obasanjo stressed that no human institution or organisation, not the least, political parties can endure without party discipline, particularly under a multi-party democracy like Nigeria. He noted that it is party discipline that subjects the activities of members of the party to checks and ensures that the ideologies of political parties are sustained. On service, the former president implored political parties to do more because at the moment.

“We rarely find political parties delivering services to the people to justify the confidence reposed in them by the electorate”, he said. The conference, which was attended by the Senate President, David Mark, his deputy, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, former Vice President Alex Ekwueme, Deputy Speaker of the House of representatives, Emeka Ihedioha; former President, Ibrahim Babangida; former principal officers of the National Assembly, chairmen of registered political parties in Nigeria, serving members of the National Assembly and some visiting members of the United States of America Congress.

In his keynote address while declaring the event open, Mark explained that intra party squabbles exist because political party affiliation in Nigeria is rarely anchored on ideology or any uniting and defined philosophy, but rather largely on crass opportunism. This, the Senate President said, undermines the capacity of the political party to govern effectively, even after gaining political power.

He expressed concerns that in reality, most of the current political parties in the country are fledging and hardly able to stand on their feet, while many others exists mainly on paper, and were floated to attract the financial subventions, which the 1999 constitution hitherto guaranteed them.

According to him, even the big parties, which control various executive and legislative arms of government are often mired by internal convulsions, lack of cohesion, indiscipline and glaring absence of internal democracy. These problems, Mark said have been the bane of party politics in Nigeria.

He described as unfortunate that the term lobbying has come to acquire a pejorative connotation, despite its many inherent and positive benefits, noting that this is due largely to the abuse to which it often liable.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/news/obasanjo-denies-calling-for-revolution/
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by floriana(m): 2:47pm On Nov 13, 2012
Additional source please
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by lifestyle1(m): 3:31pm On Nov 13, 2012
undecided
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by BarexB: 3:33pm On Nov 13, 2012
OBJ shld rest. He is old and moreover what's his bizness with election when he is the master rigger
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by AVWENAGHA: 3:34pm On Nov 13, 2012
during ur time what were u able to achieve mtcheewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 13, 2012
Whether or not you called for it, it may happen.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by mrrock: 3:39pm On Nov 13, 2012
He admited we are sitting on a time-bomb. Then, what are we arguing about?. Of course the bomb will explode at a point. OBJ that's called REVOLUTION!!!.
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by bid4rich(m): 3:40pm On Nov 13, 2012
If its revolution we need that will be ok naw if the end result will be achieved. If not that I want to obey the Bible I for don lead the team sef. What is a 70yrs old retired mind still doing in the office while young and intelligent people are wallowing in the street. In fact let it be revolution Reloaded.
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by dilbert100: 3:41pm On Nov 13, 2012
undecided
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Khayordhe: 3:41pm On Nov 13, 2012
Abeg free baba iyabo joor...he's jux an old man wey dey seek pple's attentionundecided

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by jude33084(m): 3:43pm On Nov 13, 2012
Yawn! Hey girl, my money never expire na, open make i go one ♍☺re round joor undecided
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by bid4rich(m): 3:43pm On Nov 13, 2012
AVWENAGHA: during ur time what were u able to achieve mtcheewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

if he has not achieve anything during his tenure then all those after him has not started anything. Despite his flaws the man tried small and he must be aplauded. Tell me one thing others has done
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by NaijaNaWaa: 3:44pm On Nov 13, 2012
Obasanjo said 6, not HALF A DOZEN. Spot the difference.
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by AVWENAGHA: 3:45pm On Nov 13, 2012
bid4rich:

if he has not achieve anything during his tenure then all those after him has not started anything. Despite his flaws the man tried small and he must be aplauded. Tell me one thing others has done

go n ask ur fada dat question
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 13, 2012
Okay
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 13, 2012
Abeg make OBJ park well na hin cause all this katakata for dis cuntry undecided

Inside OBJ and NL mods I no know who wicked pass No so-so ban ban dem sabi

Last to comment, thread hijacked and closed!
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 13, 2012
OBJ was not open to advice during his regime so let us hear word.

If you talk again erhn
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by juman(m): 3:54pm On Nov 13, 2012
Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by emilyone(f): 3:56pm On Nov 13, 2012
when are you guys going to stop this your childish attitude of first to comment, second to comment rubbish, when its not as if Seun Osewa is going to give you a reward it.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by seyi47: 3:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
pls let this man be. OBJ is a hero and a widely respected man

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 13, 2012
Any revolution that will be BENEFICIAL to Nigeria must begin 1st with you &I changing our character for GOOD. You &I must do the right thing at all times. Anything short of that will just be replacing the current political leadership with MORE incompetent, MORE irresponsible and MORE corrupt &opportunistic persons. Whoever doubts this submission should look back in history and see how leadership at ALL levels have progressively gotten WORSE since independence when we had the likes of Awo till date. Anyway, OBJ was just running his mouth. The probability of an uprising occuring in Nigeria is slim, because the very people to organise it are more corrupt and WORSE than the very present political leaders at all levels. Nigeria's problems will be solved GRADUALLY, no magic wand. In the past some misguided persons looked for QUICK FIX (military coups) but this ended in worsening the situation and a CIVIL WAR. GEJ may not be charismatic or an orator, but he's taking some RIGHT steps
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by danikik7: 4:00pm On Nov 13, 2012
How do we redefine Nigerian if not by revolution since all the operators of democracy has failed woefully.All the players that has failed us will follow the sweeping tide.No outsider will do it for us we have to take our destiny in our own hands.We all have the power to bring about change in Nigeria.
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 13, 2012
Garri_Activist: Abeg make OBJ park well na hin cause all this katakata for dis cuntry undecided

Inside OBJ and NL mods I no know who wicked pass No so-so ban ban dem sabi

Last to comment, thread hijacked and closed!
no mind the MODs,especially Maclatunji,he banned me till 2013,April 29. I wonder if Nairaland go still dey exist then sef,

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Denlightened(m): 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2012
this man and his holier than thou attitude makes me laugh in Urhobo. How can OBJ be talking of unemployment in Nigeria.What possible solutions does he have to the problem of unemployment;Honestly,We are tired of all these crap.If u dont hv a solution close ur toilet.How can BABA also complain of manifestoes?lol. We are now well informed and u cant deceive us again and for goodness sake,please dont bring comedy into burning national issues.
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by ngmart(m): 4:07pm On Nov 13, 2012
I believe him
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Archmed(m): 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2012
Eat ur words..withdraw them deny them..i dont care..what i know is that wen revolution comes knocking..ur Ota Farms will not accomodate you..d Aso Rock bunker will be needed 4d 1st time..IBB's hilltop mansion would fall flat..buhari...and co..all of una go hear am..evryday 4d thief,..one day 4d?....of course u know!

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Ramcie(f): 4:20pm On Nov 13, 2012
If it were Buhari or El-Rufai that made such an utterance you would have seen Reno Omokri, Reuben Abati,Labaran Maku and Doyin Okupe spitting lava like an erupting volcano but its Obj so they all kept mute like they never saw or heard about it.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by Emekayoung(m): 4:38pm On Nov 13, 2012
[color=][/color]
jude33084: Yawn! Hey girl, my money never expire na, open make i go one ♍☺re round joor undecided
tongue
jude33084: Yawn! Hey girl, my money never expire na, open make i go one ♍☺re round joor undecided
Bro make i join u?
Re: Obasanjo Denies Calling For Revolution by redsun(m): 5:01pm On Nov 13, 2012
Who could have taken obj's call for revolution seriously,except for an insane person like him?

Evil is driving him crazy,and he is turning against himself unconsciously by suggesting some "weird" things only good people can suggest,on how to deal with evils like him.

He is an epitome of evil,a thorn in the people's flesh and his on the other side,not with the people

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Repeating Obasanjo, Jonathan's Mistakes - Ezekwesili / 9th National Assembly: Would History Repeat Itself? / Presidential Election Dispute: Tribunal To Hear Atiku, Pdp’s Fresh Motion, July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.