Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,857 members, 7,841,231 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Nature - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nature (1359 Views)

Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park in Jamaica / A Breakdown Of The Black Man's Nature? / Who Is A Woman? (understanding The Nature Of Women) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nature by Petname(m): 12:08pm On Feb 04, 2008
If you were an element of nature e.g. Tree, Shrub plant, Rain, Sea, Grass etc What would you like to say to humans concerning how they treat and relate with you?
Re: Nature by ayobase(m): 12:07pm On Feb 05, 2008
i will tell them fine
of course!!!
what about u?
Re: Nature by opuro(m): 2:12pm On Feb 05, 2008
take am eazy mankind o
Re: Nature by topkin(m): 2:34pm On Feb 05, 2008
Petname:

If you were an element of nature e.g. Tree, Shrub plant, Rain, Sea, Grass etc What would you like to say to humans concerning how they treat and relate with you?

Bros I don't understand u o! R u for or against? U be plant? I beg, the topic sound dumb!! angry
Re: Nature by drrionelli(m): 11:42pm On Feb 05, 2008
This is a good question!

I feel that I would speak to humans in a manner that is consistent with what they understand, which is to say that I'd attempt to appeal to their sense of heritage. 

Natural "elements" and even plants have spent a much longer time on this Earth than humans have.  That, as I see it, is part of the problem.  We humans tend to forget that we're still "new kids on the block," so to speak.  We feel that because we have our large, well-developed brains, our ability to reason and our opposable thumbs that we don't necessarily have to play by the rules. 

The fact is:  We humans don't even know what the rules are.  We can't  because we haven't been here long enough.  Consider that no other species except humans has figured out a way to eradicate every other life form on the planet--and we're doing so with surprising speed. 

And for what?  We cannot survive as a species, to say nothing of a planet, without our dependence on (and interdependence with regard to) all other living things.  Earth has finite resources and a finite capacity to sustain.  Yes, humans can create artificial environments, but if nothing is suited to them, so what? 

This planet did very well without humans for billions of years.  Even after life came about (however one wishes to consider it), it thrived for many millions more.  Far be it for me to be a naysayer, but is it coincidence that the arrival of humans just happened to be the catalyst that began the downfall of our Earth?

Or, is it such that, in the great scheme of things, our planet was due for some major "renovations."  Certainly, that has happened before (albeit ever-so-gradually).  And, to paraphrase Max Ehrmann, whether or not it is clear to us, the world shall unfold just exactly as it should.  Thus, we should be respectful, because Nature is allowing us to occupy this third rock from the sun.  Right now, if all humans were to vanish, the Earth would continue to be, albeit a much different--and arguably, better for all, save humans--place.

My apologies for the length of this posting.  However, not even all these words have begun to address this issue.  Of all the postings thus far, I feel that opuro's has said so much with eloquent understatement:  Take it easy, mankind.
Re: Nature by darfur(m): 11:46pm On Feb 05, 2008
Petname:

these elements cant talk undecided how you for wan talk as a tree.
dude which fairy tale you been de enjoy recently grin grin grin
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 9:40am On Feb 07, 2008
No need to apologise drrionelli. Your post was encouraging wink. Love the paraphrase from Desiderata
Re: Nature by drrionelli(m): 7:46pm On Feb 07, 2008
@Petname:
Thank you, sir. You're very gracious to afford me such kind words. smiley

I also wish to thank you for initiating this thread in such a cleverly posed manner! I'm looking forward to hearing more views from others!
Re: Nature by TCUBE(m): 8:25am On Feb 08, 2008
tree, dont cut me, global warmingggggggggggggg, u need me dam it , lol
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 10:29am On Feb 11, 2008
@ drrionelli,

I would love you to contact me. my e-mail is info@petfarm-ng.com
I wish to share something with you. Will be looking forward to a mail from you.

Thanks.
Re: Nature by iice(f): 11:49am On Feb 12, 2008
opuro pretty much summed it. . .take it easy mankind
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 3:41pm On Feb 12, 2008
iice, thanks for the post. Nice colour code. smiley

drrionelli, still expecting a mail from you.
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 4:19pm On Feb 12, 2008
Heads UP!!!! Let's have more contributions please.
Lets assume you are a bird, stripped of its nest  / nesting tree (where you perch to sleep). What would you say to humans about what they have done to you & with the tree they hacked down?!
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 11:21am On Feb 13, 2008
In a bid for the topic to remain on top!
Re: Nature by iice(f): 3:11pm On Feb 13, 2008
Thanks petname smiley
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 4:49pm On Feb 13, 2008
@ iice, (Royality)

You are welcome.
Re: Nature by drrionelli(m): 6:05pm On Feb 13, 2008
@Petname:
Iice really is royal, isn't she?  And, delightfully chilly, too! grin    She has been nothing less than charming during the time I've spent here on nairaland.com.  She's given me great insight into the people and culture of Nigeria (and she's provided more translations from Pidgin to Proper English than I care to count!).  She's witty, intelligent and always pleasant to encounter! 

I don't mean to go off topic (as I have done), but while the opportunity presented itself, I did wish to take advantage of it.
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 3:15pm On Feb 14, 2008
@ drrionelli:

Thanks, for the insight into iice.
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 3:17pm On Feb 14, 2008
@ drrionelli:

I hope you don't mind if I use this post?

drrionelli:

This is a good question!

I feel that I would speak to humans in a manner that is consistent with what they understand, which is to say that I'd attempt to appeal to their sense of heritage.  

Natural "elements" and even plants have spent a much longer time on this Earth than humans have.  That, as I see it, is part of the problem.  We humans tend to forget that we're still "new kids on the block," so to speak.  We feel that because we have our large, well-developed brains, our ability to reason and our opposable thumbs that we don't necessarily have to play by the rules.  

The fact is:  We humans don't even know what the rules are.  We can't  because we haven't been here long enough.  Consider that no other species except humans has figured out a way to eradicate every other life form on the planet--and we're doing so with surprising speed.  

And for what?  We cannot survive as a species, to say nothing of a planet, without our dependence on (and interdependence with regard to) all other living things.  Earth has finite resources and a finite capacity to sustain.  Yes, humans can create artificial environments, but if nothing is suited to them, so what?  

This planet did very well without humans for billions of years.  Even after life came about (however one wishes to consider it), it thrived for many millions more.  Far be it for me to be a naysayer, but is it coincidence that the arrival of humans just happened to be the catalyst that began the downfall of our Earth?

Or, is it such that, in the great scheme of things, our planet was due for some major "renovations."  Certainly, that has happened before (albeit ever-so-gradually).  And, to paraphrase Max Ehrmann, whether or not it is clear to us, the world shall unfold just exactly as it should.  Thus, we should be respectful, because Nature is allowing us to occupy this third rock from the sun.  Right now, if all humans were to vanish, the Earth would continue to be, albeit a much different--and arguably, better for all, save humans--place.

My apologies for the length of this posting.  However, not even all these words have begun to address this issue.  Of all the postings thus far, I feel that opuro's has said so much with eloquent understatement:  Take it easy, mankind.
Re: Nature by drrionelli(m): 6:38pm On Feb 14, 2008
By all means use it!  I made it in a public forum, after all. But thank you for the extending me the courtesy of asking.

Do you mind if I ask what you wish to use it for?
Re: Nature by iice(f): 5:57pm On Feb 16, 2008
drrionelli:

@Petname:
Iice really is royal, isn't she? And, delightfully chilly, too! grin She has been nothing less than charming during the time I've spent here on nairaland.com. She's given me great insight into the people and culture of Nigeria (and she's provided more translations from Pidgin to Proper English than I care to count!). She's witty, intelligent and always pleasant to encounter!

I don't mean to go off topic (as I have done), but while the opportunity presented itself, I did wish to take advantage of it.

embarassed embarassed Dri embarassed embarassed Muchas gracias

@Petname. . .erhhh i might not come across as such to you which is still cool grin grin
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 1:04pm On Feb 18, 2008
@ Iice,
You are & thats why I mentioned it in the first place!
Petname:

@ iice, (Royality)

You are welcome.

@ Drrionelli ,
You gave a version of the campaign exercise I'm presently running! And thats what i plan on using excepts from your response for. Can't say more than this in public! But would love to share more with you on this campaign. Kindly mail me.

Love always,
OJO
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 9:40am On Feb 19, 2008
@ Drrionelli ,
You gave another version of the campaign exercise I'm presently running (on the low key at the present moment)! And thats what i plan on using excepts from your quote for. Can't say more than this! But would love to share more with you on this campaign. Kindly mail me -- Please?!.

Love always,
OJO
Re: Nature by Petname(m): 10:48am On Apr 08, 2008
In a bid to put U on TOP!

(1) (Reply)

Will You Give Your Child Tribal Mark In This 21st Century / Dreadlocks, Good Or Bad? / 7 Common Words Used By Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.