Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,544 members, 7,819,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Words That Are Shared By Nigerian Tribes - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Words That Are Shared By Nigerian Tribes (837 Views)

Are There Any Nigerian Tribes With Ancenstral Links With Tribes In Ghana? / Nigerian Tribes And Their States / Yoruba Words That Have Several Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Words That Are Shared By Nigerian Tribes by ebamma(m): 2:07pm On Nov 14, 2012
I have been fortunate to know both hausa and efik language,and one thing i realised is that the share some words though the words have different meanings the include
1)Kudi in hausa means money but in efik kudi means don't come
2)kunana in hausa means you are burning me but in efik it means don't sleep
3)nama in hausa means meat but nama in efik means do it
there are more but thats the few in can remember
Re: Words That Are Shared By Nigerian Tribes by Zairois: 7:27am On Oct 30, 2013
ebamma: I have been fortunate to know both hausa and efik language,and one thing i realised is that the share some words though the words have different meanings the include
1)Kudi in hausa means money but in efik kudi means don't come
2)kunana in hausa means you are burning me but in efik it means don't sleep
3)nama in hausa means meat but nama in efik means do it
there are more but thats the few in can remember
that's interesting because in swahili nyama means meat lol
But Mnyama means animal
Re: Words That Are Shared By Nigerian Tribes by ebamma(m): 1:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
Zairois:
But Mnyama means animal
wow
Re: Words That Are Shared By Nigerian Tribes by saintneo(m): 12:14pm On Nov 23, 2013
Zairois:
But Mnyama means animal
So what does wanyama mean in swahili?
Re: Words That Are Shared By Nigerian Tribes by Fulaman198(m): 11:06pm On Nov 23, 2013
Both Swahili and Hausa have Arabic loan words.

(1) (Reply)

As A Kid, Did You Speak Into A Turning Fan Just To Hear Your "Machine Voice"??? / Late Emir Of Kano's Son, Sani Bayero And Wife Welcomes A Baby Girl - Photos / Industrious Nature of Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.