Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries (15687 Views)

Nigeria Ranked 125 Out Of 142 Most Prosperous Countries In The World In 2015 / List Of Roads Lagos State Govt. Has Scheduled For Repairs / The Sorry State Of Roads In Ejigbo Community Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 17, 2012
Tony Spike: Just for the record, the beautiful roads in Nigeria do not in any way suggest they are of high quality. Just my opinion though...

Are you a civil engineer? What qualifications do you have to make such a sweeping comment?
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 17, 2012
Frank-C:

My amazement at your ignorance is only exceeded by my surprise at your unwillingness to open up your mind and think like human. That guy has just taught you how to think and talk responsibly. You can't come to the internet and insult our country, our President, our Judiciary, our armed forces and every little symbol that represent us as a country and expect to go unchallenged, moreso when his challenge is just presenting you as a very immature type that take pleasure at insulting things far bigger than you.
You want your opinion that Nigeria should be rated as the country with the worst roads on earth respected when you don't even know that the gallop report did not come from empirical research but from folks who think like you and you seem not to have visited more than 20 countries in the world. Stop projecting your inferiority complex and self defeatism. It is shameful.

My brother thank you for educating this fellow.

I repeat: IF you're going to come on NL making unfounded, wild, negative exaggerations about Nigeria, EXPECT TO BE CHALLENGED. You're not in your local beer parlour or pepper soup joint where everyone fears you or agrees with you, or is as ignorant as you. Neither are you in your living room where your wife and children or siblings agree with every nonsense dripping out of your lips. You are in a PUBLIC FORUM filled with educated, enlightened people. So your standard of discourse MUST be much higher, or you will run into trouble.
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Afam4eva(m): 1:36pm On Nov 17, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Your standing straight with two legs and two arms does not suggest you are a human being either. Ewu.
He's right. That a road looks clean and well laid out does not confirm it's quality. The quality is inward and not outward. You're taking this your patriotism too far
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 17, 2012
oyb: rossike the economist cheesy cheesy cheesy

back at it again

perhaps we should all post real time pictures of the roads we drive everyday, not some pictures from 2008 or govt propaganda websites

this noisemaker spammer should come to nigeria and stop spamming us like a gej monkey

Our resident dunce. Long time. Those are NIGERIAN roads of TODAY, not 2008 (even in 2008 you never agreed they existed, being a natural Nigeria hater). And they are not from 'govt websites' but from the free for all privately run skyscrapercity.com available to all and sundry. And MANY of us travel on those roads day in day out. It is not ghosts that travel on them, but Nigerians. So take your lies and anti-Nigerianism and stick it up your you-know-what.
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 17, 2012
afam4eva:
He's right. That a road looks clean and well laid out does not confirm it's quality. The quality is inward and not outward. You're taking this your patriotism too far

What evidence does he (or you) have of the bad quality of the roads merely by looking at them online? Your negative mindset won't allow you to commend govts that are clearly investing in infrastructure, but you're happy to rubbish their efforts?

Where were you when people came here posting stuff like ''there is no road in Nigeria'' and such rubbish? Did you correct them like I've done? (Nope)

It's obvious you are taking this your Biafran patriotism too far.
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Afam4eva(m): 1:43pm On Nov 17, 2012
ROSSIKE:

And what evidence does he have of the good or bad quality of the roads merely by looking at them? You are taking this your Biafran patriotism too far.
I was speaking in general terms and i think he was doing same but with his radar on Nigeria.

And sorry to burst your bubble but i'm not a Biafran agitator. All i want is a working society whether in Nigeria or else where.
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 17, 2012
afam4eva:
I was speaking in general terms and i think he was doing same but with his radar on Nigeria.

And sorry to burst your bubble but i'm not a Biafran agitator. All i want is a working society whether in Nigeria or else where.

This 'general terms' business is exactly what I'm opposed to. You and your ilk STEREOTYPE the nation negatively, and that's WRONG. You MUST give people the benefit of doubt or you have serious problems. If I came into your office and rubbished everything you did there simply because you're a Nigerian, you'd be the first to demand fair treatment. But with 'Nigeria' it's like it's fair game. SORRY IT AIN'T. What is good for YOU is good for other Nigerians.
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 17, 2012
afam4eva:

everybody who has issues wit his empty nigerian is utopia propaganda is some sort of . . .in his book

the other day the dreamer and poster called me an ACN man cheesy
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by TonySpike: 5:13pm On Nov 17, 2012
afam4eva:

Most Nigerian roads look good on the surface but are structurally deficient. Why do we have to dispute this fact? For example, there was this highway, a bypass route towards Akure just before Ile-Ife town. This long-stretch highway, commissioned by RCC in 2002 (I think), developed lots of unimaginable pot-holes within 4/5 months of usage. Many of such examples of poor quality roads abound across Nigerian cities and towns. Why deceive ourselves?
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 17, 2012
Tony Spike:

Most Nigerian roads look good on the surface but are structurally deficient. Why do we have to dispute this fact?

Because you are NOT QUALIFIED to make such a judgement. Roads do not deteriorate solely because of poor construction. There are numerous other potential factors, such as poor maintenance, constant use by overloaded heavy vehicles, erosion, climate, even diesel spillage etc. Read here for more information from actual experts:

http://www.csir.co.za/pothole_guides/docs/Pothole_chap2_causes.pdf

Also, this ''Nigeria'' thing of yours omits the fact that things are not the same in every state. Some states do a good, decent job of their projects. But you simply paint them all with one negative ''Nigerian'' brush. That's ignorant. It is WRONG to observe a Nigerian road online and blurt out blindly that it must be of poor quality. That's illiterate.

For example, there was this highway, a bypass route towards Akure just before Ile-Ife town. This long-stretch highway, commissioned by RCC in 2002 (I think), developed lots of unimaginable pot-holes within 4/5 months of usage. Many of such examples of poor quality roads abound across Nigerian cities and towns. Why deceive ourselves?

By the same token, thousands of Nigerians commit fraud and deal in drugs. There are countless instances of Nigerians being arraigned and jailed for various offences. Therefore, being a Nigerian (I presume) YOU must be a criminal, a liar, a drug dealer, and a fraudster. How about that?

Why deceive ourselves that you are anything else but what I just described?
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by Venchy: 11:25pm On Nov 18, 2012
Frank-C:

My amazement at your ignorance is only exceeded by my surprise at your unwillingness to open up your mind and think like human. That guy has just taught you how to think and talk responsibly. You can't come to the internet and insult our country, our President, our Judiciary, our armed forces and every little symbol that represent us as a country and expect to go unchallenged, moreso when his challenge is just presenting you as a very immature type that take pleasure at insulting things far bigger than you.
You want your opinion that Nigeria should be rated as the country with the worst roads on earth respected when you don't even know that the gallop report did not come from empirical research but from folks who think like you and you seem not to have visited more than 20 countries in the world. Stop projecting your inferiority complex and self defeatism. It is shameful.

I am glad that you guys are passionate about Nigeria but both of you seems not getting it, as you can't understand my views from a different perspectives.

I don't even know you and I was not talking to neither ROSSIKE or whatever he called himself, I'll suggest you learn how to approach people in a decent manner rather than attacking or insulting.

I am also a Nigerian like you and I never come to NL to insult no one but express my VIEWS as you guys are very ARROGANT and never appeared to have remorse for other people's Opinion.

I'll suggest you look at my FIRST POSTING to see if there's any insult to your Uncle....Mr Nigeria.

Remember we are not in MILITARY ERA, it's a democratic world where there's freedom of expression.
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by justynneke(f): 7:21am On Dec 23, 2013
U r really ROSIKE as ur name implies in yoruba ( pour in d plastic container) ur inxposure is nt enof to use d word stupidity. I live in akure- capital of ondo state, bur wen I watched doc. Of rds in aba abt ondo; I just couldn't believe my eyes dey lukd lyk heaven but ar dey?
Every state capital has a heaven luking area. Doz ur piks ar only travel rds, a portion of capital cities and almighty abuja.
Just a question for u, y is it dat tokunbo cars ar neat in tyres, under, footmat and even body. But after 6 months of getting to nigeria oyinbo hand go comot for d bodi.

My frnd pls change ur name to CHESIKE(think well)
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by urahara(m): 10:17am On Mar 17, 2019
TonySpike:
Following the report of the World Economic Forum for 2011/2012, Nigeria is ranked 120th out of the 142 countries sampled in the quality of roads category. With a point value of 3.1*, Nigeria ranks below the standard mean falling behind many African countries such as Namibia(31), South Africa (43), Tunisia (46), Rwanda (48), The Gambia (52), Botswana (53), Kenya (71) e.t.c. Only six African countries appears to rank below Nigeria, they are Madagascar, Lesotho, Burkina-Faso, Angola, Mozambique and Mauritania.

A picture showing this ranking is available below...

*This rank means that Nigerian roads may be largely underdeveloped by world standard.

A copy of the WEF report on all other national indicators can be found at http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GCR_Report_2011-12.pdf

Woow , so by this ranking Nigeria has better roads than the Ukraine .

Can someone please confirm if this is true ?
Re: QUALITY OF ROADS: Nigeria Ranks 120th Out Of 142 Countries by grandstar(m): 10:39am On Mar 17, 2019

I also beg to differ with those rankings... I have been to Russia and Romania and their roads are far better. Even some of the rural areas with no tarred roads still does not make dem worse than Nigeria.

Road construction is extremely expensive in Russia because construction projects are steeped in corruption.

The winter games at Sochi reportedly cost $50billion! Most countries host the Olympic Games for a fifth or less than that price. Worse, there were street riots over this preposterous sum!

It is the corruption that has robbed Russians of having good roads. Most Russians I've heard prefer to travel by air.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fayose Shopping For Injunction To Stop Election-rigging Probe | Sahara Reporters / APC Members Defect To PDP In Edo (2014) / Opposition Plotting To Pit Me Against Buhari — Peter Obi (punch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.