Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

The World's Poorest President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The World's Poorest President (704 Views)

Meet The World Poorest President / Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) / World's Poorest President's Pictures And His Beautiful Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The World's Poorest President by aladesuyi(m): 11:38am On Nov 16, 2012
See The World's Poorest President: Donates 90% Of His Salary To The Poor

Can any NIGERIA LEADER do this ?

This is a good samaritan president.it will do a good benefit if other president can emulate this type of character in the world,especiall y the nigeria top leaders starting from mr president down to local government chairman chairman.

It’s a common grumble that politicians’ lifestyles are far removed from thoseof their electorate. Not so in Uruguay. Meet the president – who lives on a ramshackle farm and gives away most of his pay.

Laundry is strung outside the house. The water comes from a well in a yard, overgrown with weeds. Only two police officers and Manuela, a three-legged dog, keep watch outside.
This is the residence of the president of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, whose lifestyle clearly differs sharply from that of most other world leaders....
President Mujica has shunned the luxurious house that the Uruguayan state provides for its leaders and opted to stay at his wife’s farmhouse, off a dirt road outside the capital, Montevideo.

The president and his wife work the land themselves, growing flowers.
This austere lifestyle – and the fact that Mujica donates about 90% of his monthly salary, equivalent to $12,000 (£7,500), to charity – has led him to be labelled the poorest president in the world.

“I may appear to be an eccentric old man… But this is a free choice. I’ve lived like this most of my life,” he says, sitting on an old chair in his garden, using a cushion favoured by Manuela the dog. “I can live well with what I have.”

His charitable donations – which benefit poor people and small entrepreneurs – mean his salary is roughly in line with the average Uruguayan income of $775 (£485) a month.
All the president’s wealth is a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. In 2010, his annual personal wealth declaration – mandatory for officials in Uruguay – was$1,800 (£1,100), the value of his 1987 Volkswagen Beetle.
Hmmm.... Nigerian leaders, the people are watching!
See The World's Poorest President: Donates 90% Of His Salary To The Poor Can any NIGERIA LEADER do this ? This is a good samaritan president.it will do a good benefit if other president can emulate this type of character in the world,especiall y the nigeria top leaders starting from mr president down to local government chairman chairman. It’s a common grumble that politicians’ lifestyles are far removed from thoseof their electorate. Not so in Uruguay. Meet the president – who lives on a ramshackle farm and gives away most of his pay. Laundry is strung outside the house. The water comes from a well in a yard, overgrown with weeds. Only two police officers and Manuela, a three-legged dog, keep watch outside. This is the residence of the president of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, whose lifestyle clearly differs sharply from that of most other world leaders.... President Mujica has shunned the luxurious house that the Uruguayan state provides for its leaders and opted to stay at his wife’s farmhouse, off a dirt road outside the capital, Montevideo. The president and his wife work the land themselves, growing flowers. This austere lifestyle – and the fact that Mujica donates about 90% of his monthly salary, equivalent to $12,000 (£7,500), to charity – has led him to be labelled the poorest president in the world. “I may appear to be an eccentric old man… But this is a free choice. I’ve lived like this most of my life,” he says, sitting on an old chair in his garden, using a cushion favoured by Manuela the dog. “I can live well with what I have.” His charitable donations – which benefit poor people and small entrepreneurs – mean his salary is roughly in line with the average Uruguayan income of $775 (£485) a month. All the president’s wealth is a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. In 2010, his annual personal wealth declaration – mandatory for officials in Uruguay – was$1,800 (£1,100), the value of his 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. Hmmm.... Nigerian leaders, the people are watching!

(1) (Reply)

Ghana Has 1500 Fm Radio Stations / President Goodluck Jonathan Approves Restoration Of Revoked Abuja Plots / Full List Of Google's "Most Searched Words" In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.